Author Topic: Van attack in Toronto [Merged]  (Read 10448 times)

Offline Haggis

• "There ain't no hat badge on a helmet!"
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • "Oh, what a glorious sight, Warm-reekin, rich!"
Re: Van attack in Toronto [Merged]
« Reply #75 on: April 25, 2018, 16:25:11 »
This guy was in my sister platoon, never sat at his platoons table at meal times was always bouncing around different groups. Thought he was pretty wierd creepy dude. Can't believe this garbage made it in at one point.

You are referring to the alleged driver, yes?  The post immediately above your referred to an RCMP officer.
Train like your life depends on it.  Some day, it may.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #76 on: April 25, 2018, 17:01:39 »
The post immediately above your referred to an RCMP officer.

For that discussion,

"Why you’ve never heard of this RCMP officer who shot Parliament Hill gunman"
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=124411.0

Offline Blake C.

• Rate Post
« Reply #77 on: April 25, 2018, 19:19:41 »
You are referring to the alleged driver, yes?  The post immediately above your referred to an RCMP officer.
Yes, sorry I should have clarified. I was referring to the driver.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Offline Baden Guy

Full Member.

• Question everything. Learn something. Answer nothing.
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #78 on: April 26, 2018, 08:10:58 »
"Number cited in cryptic Facebook post matches Alek Minassian’s military ID: Source"

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2018/04/25/number-cited-in-cryptic-facebook-post-matches-alek-minassians-military-id-source.html

Offline whiskey601

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #79 on: April 26, 2018, 08:31:25 »
We could give her some useful information, like the fact that it was apparent to recruits that he should not have been there, and he had the presence of mind to ask to be released.  And we all know the first 3-4 weeks of Basic are a pretty intense period. So here is a guy that pulls back under stress, withdraws, keeps to himself, cannot focus enough to perform elementary personal housekeeping duties. Obviously not a fit, but many Canadians aren't. I don't know how it is now, but it used to be you could not wash out of basic except for serious injury, threat to the safety of self or others, or nervous shock.  As for using his serial number, we'll that's the identity the machine gives you at day one. You never forget it. I think the guy is a lunatic killer, that doesn't mean the CAF had anything to do with his problems.

Offline Altair

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #80 on: April 26, 2018, 08:41:35 »
We could give her some useful information, like the fact that it was apparent to recruits that he should not have been there, and he had the presence of mind to ask to be released.  And we all know the first 3-4 weeks of Basic are a pretty intense period. So here is a guy that pulls back under stress, withdraws, keeps to himself, cannot focus enough to perform elementary personal housekeeping duties. Obviously not a fit, but many Canadians aren't. I don't know how it is now, but it used to be you could not wash out of basic except for serious injury, threat to the safety of self or others, or nervous shock.  As for using his serial number, we'll that's the identity the machine gives you at day one. You never forget it. I think the guy is a lunatic killer, that doesn't mean the CAF had anything to do with his problems.
When I was there a few years ago, a lot of people washed out when they decided it wasn't for them, some a few days in, some a week before graduation.
Someday I'll care about milpoints.

Offline whiskey601

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #81 on: April 26, 2018, 08:48:12 »
That's my understanding of things as well. I was in Cornwallis for basic. It was different rules then in many respects.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #82 on: April 26, 2018, 13:31:01 »
Regarding on-scene operations. Although in Toronto, it was close to the York Region border.

York Region paramedics responded, and were of great help to Toronto.
https://twitter.com/TorontoMedics/status/988790418023354371

The fact that it was about 8 km from the scene to a Level 1 trauma centre also helped.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 13:47:58 by mariomike »

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #83 on: April 26, 2018, 14:00:57 »
All I know about CFAT and trade assignment is what I read on here. But, it reminds me of a couple of discussions merged into our CFAT mega-thread,

What do you need to get on the CFAT for Infantry Trade?

CFAT Scoring? Minimum for Reg force Infantry?

Whatever it is, this guy was clearly not up to it.
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline medicineman

• Well stuck into my new job and thoroughly enjoying it.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
« Reply #84 on: April 26, 2018, 14:47:14 »
All I know about CFAT and trade assignment is what I read on here. But, it reminds me of a couple of discussions merged into our CFAT mega-thread,

What do you need to get on the CFAT for Infantry Trade?

CFAT Scoring? Minimum for Reg force Infantry?

Being assigned to the infantry simply based on CFAT scores is a bit of a twist of words I think - seen folks that could have had anything and got infantry because they asked for it.  You can't be dumb these days "and only qualify for the infantry" (IIRC, you actually need some pretty decent CFAT scores to qualify for the infantry) and can't be a total sociopath and qualify for the infantry either - quite the opposite.   I've medically examined people that qualified for infantry on the CFAT but I found to be borderline psychopathic or so emotionally blunted/immature to the point of where they'd be a risk to themselves and those around them on their own side, much less the enemy.  I'd be more interested to see how his personality test and PSel interview went, as well as what was written on the medical screening from a psych/behavioural point of view.

:2c:

MM
MM

Remember the basics of Medicine - "Pink is GOOD, Blue is BAD, Air goes in AND out, Blood Goes Round and Round"

I may sound like a pessimist, but I am a realist.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #85 on: May 01, 2018, 09:11:14 »
A little trivia regarding the call volume during the 2 hours and 15 minutes surrounding the attack.

873 calls were received for the attack alone. Call receivers spoke to 1206 people.

Not sure if that was a record for a single incident in the city. But, it is hardly surprising to read of citizens complaining the 9-1-1 lines were jammed when they attempted to call it in.   

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
« Reply #86 on: May 01, 2018, 10:05:40 »
Given that he was apparently a proficient computer programmer, I would guess he probably did pretty well on his CFAT. I’m curious why it was that infantry appealed to him...
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #87 on: May 01, 2018, 10:10:49 »
I’m curious why it was that infantry appealed to him...
Given his 'incel' claims, probably the Starship Troopers' shower scene....and the hopes of at least seeing  a naked woman.     :nod:

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
« Reply #88 on: May 01, 2018, 10:53:39 »
Given his 'incel' claims, probably the Starship Troopers' shower scene....and the hopes of at least seeing  a naked woman.     :nod:

Careful, we might inadvertently bring this back to and stoke the flames of anti-immigration sentiment... “Service guarantees citizenship!”
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline EpicBeardedMan

• Rate Post
  • Getting better, stronger, faster.
« Reply #89 on: July 21, 2018, 12:43:27 »
A little trivia regarding the call volume during the 2 hours and 15 minutes surrounding the attack.

873 calls were received for the attack alone. Call receivers spoke to 1206 people.

Not sure if that was a record for a single incident in the city. But, it is hardly surprising to read of citizens complaining the 9-1-1 lines were jammed when they attempted to call it in.

I have no doubt all of TPS's 911 trunk lines were taken up with this. Their call volume is insane compared to ours in the Niagara Region. Were just above 69k calls for the year so far, they were at over half a million last time I spoke to one of their calltakers.
The military isn't really like a James Bond movie where you go for jet training in the morning and then underwater demolitions after lunch.