Author Topic: Matthew Fisher's Ideal military  (Read 4597 times)

Offline Baden Guy

Full Member.

• Question everything. Learn something. Answer nothing.
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Matthew Fisher's Ideal military
« on: June 05, 2018, 07:49:43 »
Found this on Twitter. Interesting!

Matthew Fisher Retweeted OneDadsFinance

Needs careful thought, not Tweet. Never happen but off top of my head, 120 F-35s, 10 C-17s, if only five new ones were available, half dozen more aerial tankers, C-130s. Several dozen attack helos. 20 warships including three assault ships, 10 subs, 4 brigades, not 3, double SOF

OneDadsFinance @

Replying to @mfisheroverseas
What would be your ideal force makeup for Canada?  Lay it all out

8:33 PM - 4 Jun 2018

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
Re: Matthew Fisher's Ideal military
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 08:34:56 »
Matt Fisher? The served-three-years-in-battalion-and-became-a-defense-expert guy?
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline Haggis

• "There ain't no hat badge on a helmet!"
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • "Oh, what a glorious sight, Warm-reekin, rich!"
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2018, 08:47:56 »
Matt Fisher? The served-three-years-in-battalion-and-became-a-defense-expert guy?
Does that make him more or less qualified than the taught-drama-and-snowboarding-and became-prime-minister guy?

Asking for a friend.
Train like your life depends on it.  Some day, it may.

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2018, 10:37:44 »
or a corporal? In my case a reserve Sergent?

Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one  8)

Offline Blackadder1916

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 11:05:49 »
Found this on Twitter. Interesting!

Matthew Fisher Retweeted OneDadsFinance

Since I have never found anything on twitter, what does this mean?  Is this something Matthew Fisher wrote? Or, is this MF reposting something that OneDadsFinance wrote?  Twitter original thought?  As much intellect as can be demonstrated in 140 characters.
Whisky for the gentlemen that like it. And for the gentlemen that don't like it - Whisky.

Offline Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 11:15:42 »
I love how some people seem to think they know what we need but we haven't even figured out what we should be doing in the first place.
Optio

Offline Lumber

• Donor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2018, 11:25:26 »
I love how some people seem to think they know what we need but we haven't even figured out what we should be doing in the first place.

Yes we have! We're stronging, securing, and engaging. How much clearer do you need it to be?
"Aboard his ship, there is nothing outside a captain's control." - Captain Sir Edward Pellew

“Extremes to the right and to the left of any political dispute are always wrong.”
― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Death before dishonour! Nothing before coffee!

Offline Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2018, 11:30:11 »
Yes we have! We're stronging, securing, and engaging. How much clearer do you need it to be?

What about pride.  I thought that was part of it too.   strong, proud, something something...
Optio

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2018, 11:51:26 »
Who needs expensive equipment, when you have strong messaging.

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2018, 11:53:39 »
What about pride.  I thought that was part of it too.   strong, proud, something something...

Vancouver has that 'pride' thing covered for 2018 ;)

City of Vancouver proclaims 2018 'Year of the Queer'

http://www.vancourier.com/news/city-of-vancouver-proclaims-2018-year-of-the-queer-1.23304879
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline Altair

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2018, 12:08:43 »
Does that make him more or less qualified than the taught-drama-and-snowboarding-and became-prime-minister guy?

Asking for a friend.
No more or less than a man with a degree in economics never having worked as a economist I guess.
Someday I'll care about milpoints.

Offline FSTO

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2018, 14:36:06 »

Who needs direction or equipment when we have loads of platitudes!

Offline Quirky

• Rate Post
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2018, 15:04:53 »

Needs careful thought, not Tweet. Never happen but off top of my head, 120 F-35s, 10 C-17s, if only five new ones were available, half dozen more aerial tankers, C-130s. Several dozen attack helos. 20 warships including three assault ships, 10 subs, 4 brigades, not 3, double SOF

OneDadsFinance @

Replying to @mfisheroverseas
What would be your ideal force makeup for Canada?  Lay it all out

8:33 PM - 4 Jun 2018

Ha. Good one Matty, we can't even get boots right.

Offline standingdown

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2018, 15:24:26 »
From my perspective, the CAF barely manages to administer it's personnel and policies. How about fixing things within our control before we start begging for attack helicopters and assault ships (for which we have no pilots or crews)

Offline MarkOttawa

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Two birthdays
    • The 3Ds Blog
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2018, 15:32:42 »
For readers' info, Matthew Fisher's bio from his speaker's bureau:

He calls himself a “dinosaur” and the “last of his species” as Canada’s most experienced and most-traveled foreign correspondent. Last year he dazzled us with his adventures and misadventures in the hottest spots in the world. Since then, the world has gotten even hotter, so you won’t want to miss his perspectives on what matters, who matters and what to look for next.

He has been the international affairs columnist for the National Post and Postmedia for 15 years, and previously worked for the Sun newspapers and the Globe and Mail. Having worked overseas for 34 years, he has lived in Belgium, Germany, Russia, Hong Kong, Britain, the Middle East and Afghanistan and now lives in the Philippines.

Over the years, Fisher has observed 19 wars and conflicts from Central America to the Caucasus, the Balkans, the Middle East, Africa, Timor and Afghanistan. During the past year he has been to 17 countries. He was in Iraq for the battle for Mosul in December, in Africa covering the famine and refugee crisis spawned by the war in South Sudan, and most recently in Latvia, where Canadian troops are beginning a combat deployment as part of NATO’s tripwire to deter Russian aggression...
http://www.ideacity.ca/speaker/matthew-fisher/

Mark
Ottawa
Ça explique, mais ça n'excuse pas.

jollyjacktar

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2018, 16:49:59 »
or a corporal? In my case a reserve Sergent?

Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one  8)

And some, are ******* opinions.

jollyjacktar

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2018, 16:52:44 »
No more or less than a man with a degree in economics never having worked as a economist I guess.

At least he had a degree.

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2018, 22:29:22 »
Since I have never found anything on twitter, what does this mean?  Is this something Matthew Fisher wrote? Or, is this MF reposting something that OneDadsFinance wrote?  Twitter original thought?  As much intellect as can be demonstrated in 140 characters.
You can retweet with or without added text. When you do it adding text, it embeds the original tweet in the post so people can see in one link what you responded to. It's hard to see in just text but makes sense the way they show it within Twitter.

It's also 280 characters now, double the opinions.

Offline Blackadder1916

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2018, 00:35:08 »
You can retweet with or . . .

Thank you for the explanation, but the mechanics of Twitter doesn't answer my question.  Is the description of what should be in Canada's military the original product of Matthew Fisher (i.e. did he think it up and write it), or is it a repeat (i.e. a reporting) of someone else's (OneDadsFinance) analysis.  Without a link to the original like this https://twitter.com/mfisheroverseas/status/1003796989685846016 copying the content of a tweet prefaced by "Matthew Fisher Retweeted OneDadsFinance" makes it looks like a repeat of another's content.

Anyway, had to find the answer to my own question and whether 140 or 280 characters the limit of intellectual discourse is still evident.
Whisky for the gentlemen that like it. And for the gentlemen that don't like it - Whisky.

Offline ballz

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2018, 13:23:08 »
From my perspective, the CAF barely manages to administer it's personnel and policies. How about fixing things within our control before we start begging for attack helicopters and assault ships (for which we have no pilots or crews)

There are a few news articles today about the shortage of rucksacks and sleeping bags... I'm not surprised it hasn't been posted yet, we're all so used to this garbage now it's hard to even summon the energy to complain about it.
Many persons have a wrong idea of what constitutes true happiness. It is not attained through self-gratification, but through fidelity to a worthy purpose.
- Helen Keller

Offline Altair

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2018, 13:36:39 »
At least he had a degree.
Both less than ideal when you think about it.
Someday I'll care about milpoints.

Offline MarkOttawa

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Two birthdays
    • The 3Ds Blog
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2018, 15:28:17 »
Blackadder1916:

Is the description of what should be in Canada's military the original product of Matthew Fisher (i.e. did he think it up and write it)...

The tweet is Mr Fisher's and is simply his quick thoughts on what the CAF ideally might have if we were willing to spend and recruit more--not a realistic expectation of what any Canadian gov't might do with the world as it currently is.

See his bio, a great deal of familiarity with military matters:
http://www.ideacity.ca/speaker/matthew-fisher/

Mark
Ottawa
Ça explique, mais ça n'excuse pas.

Offline stoker dave

• Rate Post
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2018, 15:43:52 »
To make the rules fair, if you are proposing (say) a $50 Billion dollar per year defence budget, assume no new taxes and identify which federal departments and programs will be cut by a corresponding amount. 

jollyjacktar

« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2018, 19:25:31 »
Both less than ideal when you think about it.

Perhaps being well versed in drama productions etc will probably stand one in better stead as an MP on the Hill.

Offline Baden Guy

Full Member.

• Question everything. Learn something. Answer nothing.
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2018, 10:29:36 »
Perhaps being well versed in drama productions etc will probably stand one in better stead as an MP on the Hill.

While being "well versed in drama production" will certainly come in handy in the House of Commons the following might be more useful.
"Trudeau has a bachelor of arts degree in literature from McGill University and a bachelor of education degree from the University of British Columbia.
From 2002 to 2004, he studied engineering at the École Polytechnique de Montréal, a part of the Université de Montréal.He also started a master's degree in environmental geography at McGill University, before suspending his program to seek public office.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justin_Trudeau#University_and_early_career"