Author Topic: Gun Control: US and Global  (Read 8964 times)

Online kkwd

• Rate Post
Re: Gun Control: US and Global
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2018, 21:13:26 »
Citigroup is adding new restrictions for new clients. They deal with gun and gun accessories sales. They want businesses to stop selling high capacity magazines. How is that going to work out? Will they send out teams of secret shoppers and try to buy a 30 rounder? If they get one will they terminate business with that company? I can't see how this policy will cause anything but grief for many people.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-guns-citigroup/citi-sets-restrictions-on-gun-sales-by-retail-clients-idUSKBN1GY29T

In an emailed statement Citi said it will require those clients only sell firearms to customers who have passed a background check, restrict firearms sales for buyers under 21, and not sell so-called “bump stocks” or high-capacity magazines.
Low quality
Low effort
High drag
Low speed

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2018, 10:11:47 »
I was reading that the #neveragain teenagers from the Flordia highschool aren't too happy.  A case of careful what you ask for maybe.

After the walk outs and marches and TV interviews and talk shows they were told by school officials that all students will be issued transparent backpacks (at no cost to them) and given Id badges.   The students were quite upset at how stupid they they'll look. They didn't want that "they want common sense gun laws".

Students not wanting to wear the backpacks complain  "Its stupid that the actions of one person are infringing on the rights of 3300 students."   
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 16:16:04 by Jarnhamar »
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline recceguy

A Usual Suspect.

• Ineptocracy (in-ep-toc’-ra-cy) - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services pai
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • doddering docent to the museum of misanthropy
    • Army.ca
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2018, 16:03:18 »
And people want to give them the vote. :not-again:
Ineptocracy (in-ep-toc’-ra-cy) - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Offline GAP

• Semper Fi
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2018, 18:08:51 »
I was reading that the #neveragain teenagers from the Flordia highschool aren't too happy.  A case of careful what you ask for maybe.

After the walk outs and marches and TV interviews and talk shows they were told by school officials that all students will be issued transparent backpacks (at no cost to them) and given Id badges.   The students were quite upset at how stupid they they'll look. They didn't want that "they want common sense gun laws".

Students not wanting to wear the backpacks complain  "Its stupid that the actions of one person are infringing on the rights of 3300 students."
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I´m not so sure about the universe

Offline GAP

• Semper Fi
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2018, 18:11:16 »
Awhhh gee....I won't look cool without my rad backpack, and you might see the bag of weed for lunchtime,.....
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I´m not so sure about the universe

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2018, 15:56:00 »
I sort of feel bad for that David Hogg kid. He kinda gets under your skin but whatever he's a teenager right?

I really think someone is setting this kid up for some serious failure. That or he's trolling everyone.

First him and his sister introduced nifty arm bands which drew some ire from people, including some Jewish folks.

They duo quickly apologized and dropped the arm band idea.

But now check out the salute young David fires off after this 4 minute speech.

For context here's the video. He kinda comes to attention and fires this bad boy off. The salute looks a lot more, ahhh, 1939 in the video.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/28631/watch-twitter-erupts-after-parkland-student-makes-ryan-saavedra?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_content=062316-news&utm_campaign=benshapiro

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2018, 16:23:25 »
For context here's the video. He kinda comes to attention and fires this bad boy off. The salute looks a lot more, ahhh, 1939 in the video.

Or you could go with the Black Panthers.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline Oldgateboatdriver

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2018, 16:27:15 »
I am with you on that one George: Looks a lot more like the Black resistance movements of the 1970's USA to me.

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2018, 16:45:23 »
Maybe. The picture looks Black Panthers-esk. The actual video reminds me of something all together different. Have a look, maybe I'm wrong.

Offline recceguy

A Usual Suspect.

• Ineptocracy (in-ep-toc’-ra-cy) - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services pai
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2018, 19:18:21 »
This lad has handlers. He is but a loudspeaker for his bosses.

I'll bet the democrats have already started grooming him for a career in democrat politics. Or, if this goes for a crap, they'll scapegoat him.
Ineptocracy (in-ep-toc’-ra-cy) - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Offline FJAG

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ex Gladio Justicia
    • WordPress Page
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2018, 19:35:41 »

https://www.dailywire.com/news/28631/watch-twitter-erupts-after-parkland-student-makes-ryan-saavedra?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_content=062316-news&utm_campaign=benshapiro

Not really much different from this. It's all in the eye of the beholder.

:cheers:
Illegitimi non carborundum
Semper debeatis percutis ictu primo
Access my "Allies" book series at:
https://wolfriedel.wordpress.com

Offline Blackadder1916

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2018, 20:01:21 »

. . . The salute looks a lot more, ahhh, 1939 in the video.

Yeah, because anyone who raises their hand in gesture is channeling fascism and are doing so because of their handlers (or because they are too stupid).

Whisky for the gentlemen that like it. And for the gentlemen that don't like it - Whisky.

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2018, 20:12:45 »
Bladadder, FJAG, you watched the video then?

Offline FJAG

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ex Gladio Justicia
    • WordPress Page
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2018, 21:56:34 »
Bladadder, FJAG, you watched the video then?

I did - including the "God Bless America", "I love you" and "We will change the world".

Quite frankly, to me it looked like he was channeling John Travolta in "Saturday Night Fever" (but without the finger)

;D

:cheers:
Illegitimi non carborundum
Semper debeatis percutis ictu primo
Access my "Allies" book series at:
https://wolfriedel.wordpress.com

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2018, 23:25:16 »
Quote from: FJAG

Quite frankly, to me it looked like he was channeling John Travolta in "Saturday Night Fever" (but without the finger)

Can't argue with that ;)

The salute  with the armbands still looks messed up to me. His democrat coaches should do a better job.

We're not hearing much about the other side. Those kids don't seem to be getting much spotlight.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/28637/watch-parkland-student-slams-marchforourlives-ryan-saavedra?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_content=062316-news&utm_campaign=benshapiro
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 07:41:44 by Jarnhamar »

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2018, 15:29:34 »
And here's some protestors explaining what the assault weapons they want to ban are.

https://youtu.be/ENN1eeyuLPY

My two favourite answers when asked if they knew what assault weapons were.

"Yeah, it’s um, assault weapon. It’s like, um – I kind of do, but kind of don’t.”

“No, I guess. But assault weapons, like, does that sound safe to you?”

« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 15:34:46 by Jarnhamar »

Online kkwd

• Rate Post
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2018, 18:20:56 »
Here is a commentary from CBS News.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/commentary-could-marchforourlives-be-a-setback-for-gun-control/

Commentary: Could #MarchForOurLives be a setback for gun control?

"Corruption?" "Slaughter?"  "Hunted prey?" This is the sort of language one would expect to hear directed at the Parkland attacker and other gun-wielding criminals.  These killers were rarely mentioned. Instead, the vitriol was directed at Republican lawmakers and the people who vote for them, people who "put guns ahead of our kids," was the common refrain.  Or as one sign read "Our Blood, Your Hands."

And then there was the NRA.

"NRA = Murder" signs were widespread at Saturday's rally, along with "The NRA Supports Terrorists" and "[Expletive] the NRA." At least one rally featured chants of "Hey, Hey, NRA—How many kids did you kill today?"

So how does it feel to spend a day being called a child murderer on national television?
Low quality
Low effort
High drag
Low speed

Offline recceguy

A Usual Suspect.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2018, 19:21:58 »
Here is a commentary from CBS News.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/commentary-could-marchforourlives-be-a-setback-for-gun-control/

How does it feel?

It doesnt mean anything. Especially when you consider the source.

Offline PPCLI Guy

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • It's all good
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2018, 20:38:07 »
Yeah, because anyone who raises their hand in gesture is channeling fascism and are doing so because of their handlers (or because they are too stupid).

Perhaps most famously, it has been used as a defiant gesture against fascism, but is also interpreted as a symbol of defiance against oppression in general

"The higher the rank, the more necessary it is that boldness should be accompanied by a reflective mind....for with increase in rank it becomes always a matter less of self-sacrifice and more a matter of the preservation of others, and the good of the whole."

Karl von Clausewitz

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2018, 21:44:48 »
How does it feel?

It doesnt mean anything. Especially when you consider the source.

I've read not a single member of the NRA have been mass shooters.

Perhaps most famously, it has been used as a defiant gesture against fascism, but is also interpreted as a symbol of defiance against oppression in general

I wouldn't say that that's it's most famous incarnation but you might be right. I caught a video of young David Hogg talking about how they have to use their white privilege to combat racial disparity in how shootings are covered. Maybe he is fighting oppression after all.

Offline Pencil Tech

• Rate Post
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2018, 07:49:18 »

Not  a comment on your post itself, but I was amused by the file name of the photo you posted which says it's Jesse Owens at the 1936 Olympics. It's actually John Carlos and Tommie Smith at (I believe) the 1976 Montreal Olympics. Trivia note: John Carlos played briefly for the Mtl Alouettes as a wide receiver.

Offline PPCLI Guy

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • It's all good
« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2018, 08:24:56 »
Holy crap.  My google fu is weak!!!!  I will find the right picture.

Apologies for the misstep - the photo that I posted occurred at the 1968 Mexico City games and was in fact quite a bit more Black Power inspired IIRC.

Perhaps there is a lesson there - images can be interpreted in so many ways, all of which make assumptions about the intent of the person in the image.  The rather more obvious lesson of not trusting everything you read on the internet, and that verification is an individual responsibility is not lost on me either...

Here is the correct photo of Jesse Owens, which I have clearly conflated in my mind with the 1968 incident. 

Thanks for pointing out my error - more than just a tad humbling for me. 
"The higher the rank, the more necessary it is that boldness should be accompanied by a reflective mind....for with increase in rank it becomes always a matter less of self-sacrifice and more a matter of the preservation of others, and the good of the whole."

Karl von Clausewitz

Offline Pencil Tech

• Rate Post
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2018, 08:48:18 »
Holy crap.  My google fu is weak!!!!  I will find the right picture.

Apologies for the misstep - the photo that I posted occurred at the 1968 Mexico City games and was in fact quite a bit more Black Power inspired IIRC.

Perhaps there is a lesson there - images can be interpreted in so many ways, all of which make assumptions about the intent of the person in the image.  The rather more obvious lesson of not trusting everything you read on the internet, and that verification is an individual responsibility is not lost on me either...

Here is the correct photo of Jesse Owens, which I have clearly conflated in my mind with the 1968 incident. 

Thanks for pointing out my error - more than just a tad humbling for me.

Yes you're right, Mexico City, that's where it was.  8)

Offline Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2018, 18:22:01 »
Optio

Offline Brad Sallows

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2018, 12:11:38 »
 :2c: Without a flat palm, a raised arm isn't a Nazi salute.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

"It is a damned heavy blow; but whining don't help."

Despair is a sin.