Author Topic: Interview advice (merged)  (Read 216504 times)

nuforc

Interview coming up...
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2003, 21:06:00 »
Hello everyone,
My file just came back from borden with my medical ok (it took 2 months) and my interview is this week, what should I expect and do they have to send my file back to Borden wich from what i understand will take another month to process?
If there is no openings for my first choice trade(291), should I prepare my interview for my second choice(215)??
Thank you

Offline WB

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Interview coming up...
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2003, 21:17:00 »
Here‘s some info on the interview. Its quoted from a post I made a few weeks ago over  here

...The second test is really an interview. You‘ll sit down with an officer and he‘ll ask you why you want to be in the military and so on. Hang out around this forum and read the news articles that people often post here. The officer will want to see that you‘re up on current events, especially ones that are concerning the CF. Where has Canada deployed soldiers? What about that would-be bomber in Afghanistan? Whats going on in the Congo? Stuff like that. Be humble, but let them know you‘re into military-type stuff. You‘ll also be asked if you‘ve done drugs, been involved with the law, or have problems getting along with people - minorities in particular. They‘ll want to know about your hobbies and MAKE SURE you‘ll be able to give examples of where you‘ve shown leadership and responsibility. Be freindly and polite, dress in business attire, and do whatever else you‘d think is good for a job interview. The most important thing is to BE HONEST!!! You‘re better off admitting that you smoked a joint at a party, rather then letting the recruiters find out for themselves. Don‘t try and fool them, because they‘re psychologists and professional brain-pickers. Don‘t try and beat them at their own game...

Dire

« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2003, 17:38:00 »
nuforc:

your luck that you got this far..

I handed in my app a month ago and havent even been called yet..  :(  I also picked 291 and 215.

What type of work are you looking to get into?

nuforc

« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2003, 18:28:00 »
i‘m a network admin, hoping to get something in that field. i think i‘ll probably end up with 215 from what one of the recruiters told me
the whole process is very long, don‘t quit your job and don;t hesitate to call, i sure did not..good luck

Dire

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2003, 18:41:00 »
yeah, I‘m also a network admin.. dont have a job since the IT industry in BC sucks  :(

I‘ve got my MCSE/MCSA done interconnecting Cisco Network Devices course but havent gotten my CCNA yet.. anyhow.. I think im gonna do 215 also since it‘s more field work..

good luck

I got a recruiter calling me in the next few mins since their phone system is been upgraded. I want to talk to him about switching some of my MOCs..

nuforc

« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2003, 18:51:00 »
i also have over 7 cert including mcse 2000 but the f.. is it worth in this economy now, i only have 7 years experience and ended going to interviews with guys with over 15 who are back on the job market, you should ask what the available positions are and please let us know
thanx

Dire

« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2003, 18:53:00 »
yeah I‘am gonna ask him what MOCs are open..

I do know 291 (Comm research) is closed. I don‘t know about 215 though..

My problem is, im 20 and have no admin job experiance, so like you say, I get overpassed.  :(

nuforc

just passed my interview
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2003, 18:26:00 »
hey everyone,
Just finished my interview today, the agent said he was giving me a favourable recommendation,is that good ???
looks i‘m heading toward sig op if i‘m lucky
291 comm serach is closed ,it might take up to a year to open fyi!

WINDWOLF

Re: just passed my interview
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2003, 18:45:00 »
Way to go nuforc.  :D  
It sure as sh!t beats an unfavourable one.  ;)  
Good luck & keep us posted.

Sigs?? oh well,i guess not everyone can be 031.
  :D  
Aloha.

Dire

« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2003, 18:59:00 »
Congrats..

I got some good news of my own..

Finally got called to do the first step of my application..

Booked my Medical and CFAT...

deathwing5

« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2003, 15:50:00 »
Nice.

I‘ve got my Interview in 2-3 weeks, I need to relax a bit.  Gotta stop having so many doubts,  I love military history, I workout alot,  Not a bad character never did drugs, or alcohol. Not racist or sexist, no medical problems ‘cept eyesight.  I work hard and I‘ll feel like S*** if i dont get in.  I been wanting to be in the army long time.   :cdn:

Offline kurokaze

• Rate Post
  • Reservist
« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2003, 10:05:00 »
Hey Arty and Nuforce and Dire , good luck with the tests!
The best advice I can give for the interview is
to just relax and be honest.  They aren‘t going
to give you the 3rd degree.  It‘s probably more
important to show that you are a person of
character.

Arty, are you going Reg for Reserve?

deathwing5

« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2003, 12:53:00 »
Thanks for the luck!

I‘m going to Reserves, I‘m 17, I‘ve been wanting to be in the Army ever since the first time I saw a soldier back in Turkey, that was years ago.

Offline kurokaze

• Rate Post
  • Reservist
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2003, 14:25:00 »
I‘m going to Reserves, I‘m 17, I‘ve been wanting to be in the Army ever since the first time I saw a soldier back in Turkey, that was years ago.  
Interesting, what made you decide to go Artillery?

deathwing5

« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2003, 14:36:00 »
I picked up a pamphlet in school, Arty was the only one they had. I thought arty was all they had at Moss Park, so I went on the day that they‘re there. Talked to the Peeps, and got application.  So thinking Infantry would be at another armoury, i decided to go for arty. I didnt know much.  When it came to deciding what I wanted after CFAT, they told me I could join infantry at moss park.  But since i‘d already gone through everything for arty, i decided to stick to it.  But I intend to transfer to infantry hopefully in 1 or 2 years. Maybe a bit of cross training?  :D

Offline kurokaze

• Rate Post
  • Reservist
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2003, 22:05:00 »
I picked up a pamphlet in school, Arty was the only one they had. I thought arty was all they had at Moss Park, so I went on the day that they‘re there. Talked to the Peeps, and got application. So thinking Infantry would be at another armoury, i decided to go for arty. I didnt know much. When it came to deciding what I wanted after CFAT, they told me I could join infantry at moss park. But since i‘d already gone through everything for arty, i decided to stick to it. But I intend to transfer to infantry hopefully in 1 or 2 years. Maybe a bit of cross training?  
lol.. stick with Arty.  You‘ve spoken with
WO Anderson then?  So you start basic in Sept I
take it (provided everything goes well of course).
You may end up with CSM McIntyre (48th - also
infantry out of Moss Park) running PT on your
basic.  Watch out!  He‘ll run you into the
ground  :)   But he‘s a really good guy.  You‘ll
be a lot better for it.  So I guess I‘ll be
seeing you around the armoury then.  We‘re in the
same regiment. I‘ll be one of the 2Lts walking
around  :D

deathwing5

« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2003, 22:58:00 »
lol yeah i‘ve spoken with him, he propably forgot me though, haven‘t seen him or moss park for a while now. I‘ve been at the recruiting centre mostly, I might as well live there.  Man i‘ll do more than my best, i just came back from runnin and my legs are killing, i‘m not much of a aerobic person.  Been doing strength training for a year, so it‘s mostly physical endurance and strength for me. that‘s really cool, lol hope I see you. cuz that‘ll mean i‘m in. Must make a good impression on interview.  :evil:  yeah i‘ve been thinking if i stay for like 2 years, i‘ll propably like it too much ot leave for infantry. I think i want to bring a camera so i can capture some memories.

Dacier

« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2003, 16:37:00 »
Out of the the hundreds or so people I met in the army, only one guy failed the interview.  he told them he was an alcoholic, because he thought the army loved drinking.  

Well, the army does love alcohol, but don‘t say you drink too much:)

The Military is so desperate for people that you have to say the stupidest thing to not get in.  I have friends in basic that have police records and got in no problem, so if your clean cut like me, don‘t worry, relax.

deathwing5

« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2003, 02:50:00 »
wow, well my friend wanted to join the army real bad, and he‘s a nice guy. Just did a stupid thing and got arrested with about 5 charges. I told him i doubt he has a chance to get in. but i guess i‘ll tell him he should try.

Hehe thanks for the confidence boost, that makes me feel better.

Lmao i thought the army loved drinking. that‘s good.

kbenn

interview info
« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2004, 18:59:00 »
hey, thank you to every one who responded to my last post. your suggestions allowed me to prepare for and pass the dreaded aptitude test. now onto the interview. i understand that it is important to be knowledgable about the trade you are applying for , but do you need to know much about the unit you are applying for as well? i am applying to the 11th field artillery regiment in guelph ont.- anyone a member? i have tried to call but only get an answering machine which lists numbers for the diffrent offices and messes in the building. who do i need to speak to for info and how much do i need to know about the unit? any help and/or info would be appreciate. thnks.   :warstory:

SVS

Re: interview info
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2004, 19:55:00 »
I don‘t feel that knowing anything about the unit or Regiment will affect your interview. They will ask more questions about your character and your past work history.

nbk

« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2004, 22:26:00 »
Is past work experience a big deal? Like what if you never had a job before the army?

Can you just talk about chores you did when you were like 6?

Maxpower

« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2004, 23:28:00 »
Don‘t sweat over it, its just general questions to see if you‘re stable minded.  They ask you about work school, that stuff.  They want to know if you have ever done drugs (they did for me anyway) but i‘d say just answer everything honestly and to the best of your ability.

Offline WB

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2004, 23:40:00 »
You want to show the interview guys that you‘re an "on the ball" type of guy.

They‘ll want to know when you‘ve held positions of responsibility, showed teamwork, was active in other organizations, ect. Bring any certificates you might have, even if its something gay like a "licenced babysitter" certificate or something.  Dress well, get a haircut, trim your nails, look presentable. This all shows that you prepared for the interview and that you actually cared enough to put some effort into your application process.

When I went for my interview I brought my old ‘88 US Ranger Soldier Handbook that I bought at a surplus store years before. That impressed the guy because I was applying to join the infantry, and it showed that I had some sort of an idea what infanteers do. That said, you probably won‘t be quizzed on arty history. But if you have a book you‘ve read about the arty, bring it along so the interviewer knows you‘re interested.

Watch the news, and know where Cdn soldiers are currently deployed and have been previously been deployed on combat and peacekeeping missions. Who‘s in Afghanistan right now? Whats going on in Bosnia? You might be asked if you understand that the serving in the combat arms is dangerous. If you can say something like "Yes I do, I heard about the RCR guys who‘s jeep hit a land mine in Afghanistan" you‘re on the right track. They won‘t expect you to be a military encylopedia, but know whats going on in the world.

Other then that, just use common sense!!!

Offline Nerf herder

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • The usual suspect.
« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2004, 04:53:00 »
I wouldn‘t worry about it too much. I was in the reserves years ago, when we got to the "interview" it was just general questions about what I knew what I was getting into. Besides, why go through all that trouble for a part time job? Go Reg if you really want to experience what the job entails. You‘ll only see half the picture in the reserves. I was also on "B" class callouts during most of my time in the militia, working with the Reg force guys. When I went back to my Regiment between callouts, I found that most of the troops were talking out their arses about the stuff they were supposedly "experts" on.

I can hear it now...the reserves ae going to be all over this one, aren‘t they?   :crybaby:
Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who kept their swords.--Ben Franklin

"Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without your accordion."
    -Norman Schwartzkopf