Author Topic: Canada gets its first monument to the U.S. Civil War  (Read 403 times)

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
Canada gets its first monument to the U.S. Civil War
« on: September 18, 2017, 08:57:19 »
'We're just interested in history': Canada gets its first monument to the U.S. Civil War

The 1860s conflict killed more Canadians than any other except the two world wars

While Civil War memorials may not be the most popular things lately, the world’s newest monument to the American Civil War has just opened in Canada.

The granite obelisk is Canada’s only monument to the 1860s conflict, and honours more than 40,000 Civil War soldiers who hailed from what would become modern-day Canada.

“At the time, there were as many in the (Canadian) military as volunteered to fight in the Civil War,” said Bob McLachlan, president of the Grays and Blues of Montreal, a Quebec-based Civil War re-enactment group involved with the monument’s creation.

http://vancouversun.com/news/canada/were-just-interested-in-history-canada-gets-its-first-monument-to-the-u-s-civil-war/wcm/8e040f15-bc2a-4bc8-8f8f-aa9340445152
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline Shrek1985

• Rate Post
Re: Canada gets its first monument to the U.S. Civil War
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 15:55:05 »
Sweet! I love fringe history like this!