Author Topic: Haitian refugees Flocking To Canada  (Read 10900 times)

Offline EpicBeardedMan

• Rate Post
  • Getting better, stronger, faster.
Re: Haitian refugees Flocking To Canada
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2017, 17:53:03 »
Did Hell freeze over?  CBC reporting that half of asylum seekers crossing have criminal records.  (Old report from April)

http://www.cbc.ca/player/play/920868419922

Trudeau did say EVERYONE was welcome....a sound strategy for sure.
The military isn't really like a James Bond movie where you go for jet training in the morning and then underwater demolitions after lunch.

Online kratz

Happy 150th.

• Float, Move, Fight
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Asylum seekers - Moved to Cornwall Ontario
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2017, 14:58:01 »
CBC.ca

Quebec is getting the help they requested. Asylum seekers have already started to be moved over to Cornwall Ontario and plans are developing for another tent camp next door, according to the news release.

New centre, more immigration officers

In order to accommodate the growing number of migrants crossing into Quebec, Federal Transport Minister Marc Garneau and Quebec Immigration Minister Kathleen Weil announced new measures for housing and security Thursday.

A new temporary intake centre will be set up in Cornwall, Ont., to ease the burden on Quebec, which has been housing claimants in centres across Montreal.

Garneau said the Cornwall centre has 300 rooms and that tents can be installed outside the building if necessary.

"This will remove some of the pressure on us," said Weil, referencing the provincial government. She has urged Ottawa to help with additional temporary housing for asylum seekers.
Quote from: Pipe *General Call*
"Tanning Stations on the flight deck"

Remember, this site is unofficial and privately owned. The site benefits from the presence of current members willing to answer questions.

Offline jmt18325

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2017, 15:19:18 »
Did anyone ever think that there would be a camp of refugees fleeing the United States of America?

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2017, 15:22:34 »
Haiti is now deemed safe to return to and SURPRISE! they don't want to go back.  Now, as the article notes, they are entering Canada illegally.  What do people expect when the PM says *everyone is welcome!!*. 
The only time you have too much gas is when you're on fire.

Offline jmt18325

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2017, 15:38:44 »
Haiti is now deemed safe to return to and SURPRISE! they don't want to go back.  Now, as the article notes, they are entering Canada illegally.  What do people expect when the PM says *everyone is welcome!!*.

Everyone is welcome.  The legalities have been clarified many times.  This is an act of desperation, and nothing more.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2017, 15:44:36 »
Everyone is welcome.  The legalities have been clarified many times.  This is an act of desperation, and nothing more.

From the CBC story:

RCMP says it has intercepted 3,800 asylum seekers crossing illegally into Quebec since Aug. 1

More than 3,800 asylum seekers crossed the border illegally in Quebec during the two weeks spanning Aug. 1 to Aug. 15, the RCMP said Thursday.

The figures were released after RCMP held a technical briefing with the Canada Border Services Agency and Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

According to the IRCC, the RCMP also intercepted 2,996 asylum seekers crossing illegally into Quebec in July.

Since June 1, the RCMP said that more than 7,000 people have illegally entered Canada.

Yup, the legalities are clear for sure.  If I need money, I can't just go to the bank and take it *in an act of desperation* and everything is cool...

Offline EpicBeardedMan

• Rate Post
  • Getting better, stronger, faster.
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2017, 15:51:27 »
Canada has some legislation in regards to breaking laws due to necessity (Ie: breaking into a domecile so you don't freeze to death) but I am unsure if that translates to refugees who aren't Canadian citizens. Especially ones who are fleeing the US and not Haiti..are they considered fleeing Haiti by proxy because the US would kick them out? WOULD the US kick them out? I don't know, I will admit I'm not a genius when it comes to this stuff.
The military isn't really like a James Bond movie where you go for jet training in the morning and then underwater demolitions after lunch.

Offline Altair

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2017, 16:59:46 »
Canada has some legislation in regards to breaking laws due to necessity (Ie: breaking into a domecile so you don't freeze to death) but I am unsure if that translates to refugees who aren't Canadian citizens. Especially ones who are fleeing the US and not Haiti..are they considered fleeing Haiti by proxy because the US would kick them out? WOULD the US kick them out? I don't know, I will admit I'm not a genius when it comes to this stuff.
these guys will be processed like any other illegal migrant and if the case of other haitians is any clue, more than half will be deported to Haiti.
Someday I'll care about milpoints.

Offline jmt18325

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2017, 23:36:01 »
Yup, the legalities are clear for sure.  If I need money, I can't just go to the bank and take it *in an act of desperation* and everything is cool...

In this case (analogies are generally terrible arguments), with those found to have legitimate claims, everything will be cool.  For those found to not, things will not be cool.  They'll be rather warm, as they'll be returned to Haiti.

Online Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2017, 00:58:01 »
And for those seeking entrance to our Country through legal means, there will be further delays...

Meanwhile, https://www.spencerfernando.com/2017/08/17/poll-majority-canadians-say-trudeau-not-enough-protect-canadas-borders/

POLL: Majority Of Canadians Say Trudeau Not Doing Enough To Protect Canada’s Borders

A new poll by Ipsos/Global shows Canadians are turning against Justin Trudeau’s border policies.

Here are the key poll results:
62% say the Trudeau government doesn’t have a solid plan to respond to the increase in border crossers.
56% say the Trudeau government having to call in the military shows the border issue “is out of control.”
67% believe those crossing the border illegally are doing so in order to skip the legal process.
56% say the government isn’t doing enough to protect the border from “those who want to cause harm to Canada.”

Trudeau government clearly out of step with Canadians

This poll confirms what many of us already knew: Canadians believe our border and laws should be respected. We are a welcoming nation, but that welcome must be on our own terms. There are many people waiting in line and following the rules, and they are being delayed because of those crossing illegally. And as the poll shows, Canadians are concerned that people who may cause harm to the country are crossing the border, and the Trudeau government isn’t doing enough to stop them.

That’s why it’s time for the Trudeau government to stop playing to the international press, and start listening to the voices of Canadians. Our border must be secured, and illegal crossings must be stopped.

Spencer Fernando

Offline Oldgateboatdriver

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2017, 10:08:16 »
Personally, I have a simple solution (which is probably why it wouldn't work in Canada  ;D).

Stop all immigration hearings already scheduled in Canada and bring the tribunal's judges to Montreal. There, hold immediate hearings (most of these "refugees" are Haitians who lived peacefully in the US under temporary visas for the last few years, so they should have all of their papers and proof in order and ready to go) for a few hundreds of them. When the large majority of them are found to NOT be refugees, deport them immediately - but since they are Haitians, deport them to Haiti - not the USA - and publicize that fact heavily in Canada and the US.

I bet you it would stem the flow almost completely, and that a lot of the ones already here would immediately voluntarily withdraw their application to enter Canada and chose to return to the US and take their chances with their current temporary visa holder's status.

Online Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2017, 10:35:49 »
That is a wildly optimistic hope for any form of speed and/or efficiency in a government endeavour.

And what if our Southern Cousins don't let them back in?

Online GAP

• Semper Fi
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2017, 11:43:37 »
Personally, I have a simple solution (which is probably why it wouldn't work in Canada  ;D).

Stop all immigration hearings already scheduled in Canada and bring the tribunal's judges to Montreal. There, hold immediate hearings (most of these "refugees" are Haitians who lived peacefully in the US under temporary visas for the last few years, so they should have all of their papers and proof in order and ready to go) for a few hundreds of them. When the large majority of them are found to NOT be refugees, deport them immediately - but since they are Haitians, deport them to Haiti - not the USA - and publicize that fact heavily in Canada and the US.

I bet you it would stem the flow almost completely, and that a lot of the ones already here would immediately voluntarily withdraw their application to enter Canada and chose to return to the US and take their chances with their current temporary visa holder's status.

The Canadian Government has already said they are returning them to Haiti. Apparently the US won't let them return/deports them.
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I´m not so sure about the universe

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2017, 16:08:32 »
In this case (analogies are generally terrible arguments), with those found to have legitimate claims, everything will be cool.  For those found to not, things will not be cool.  They'll be rather warm, as they'll be returned to Haiti.

Analogies are, sometimes, comparisons that help emphasize a point. In this case, the point being people shouldn't just be able to break a law.  I am a Canadian citizen and serving military member, and when I come back home from serving Canada away I have to have a passport and go thru the process.  Why should people who are coming illegally be allowed to cross in the first place??

IMO they shouldn't, and the US is just smiling as they watch them do it because it is one less problem for them to worry about.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2017, 16:23:15 »
Analogies are, sometimes, comparisons that help emphasize a point. In this case, the point being people shouldn't just be able to break a law.  I am a Canadian citizen and serving military member, and when I come back home from serving Canada away I have to have a passport and go thru the process.  Why should people who are coming illegally be allowed to cross in the first place??

IMO they shouldn't, and the US is just smiling as they watch them do it because it is one less problem for them to worry about.

Today, listening to Talk Radio on the matter of the numbers crossing illegally, and how they would have be turned back had they entered at an existing Border Crossing.  Then I wondered why we aren't just loading the illegals onto a bus, drive them to the Border Crossing Point, have CBSA go through the procedure of processing them and then TURN THEM BACK as if they had originally crossed there.  Saves the eleven, and counting, months that it will now take to process the expected 300,000 that will be clogging up the system for the next several years; not to mentions the billions being spent.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2017, 16:54:53 »
Once they are in Canada, I doubt the US would take them back.

Don't get me wrong, I am not without compassion for those less fortunate than Canadians are.  BUT...we are a country with, like all countries, limited resources.  We simply can't allow everyone who wants to come here in.  Those that do come have to, or should IMO, have something to bring to the table;  a skill, a trade, something that will make them a benefit the way Canada will benefit them.  They have to have the ability to, at some point and for the long term, pay taxes and contribute to Canadian society in a real, tangible way.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 16:58:36 by Eye In The Sky »

Online kratz

Happy 150th.

• Float, Move, Fight
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2017, 19:15:25 »
So much for treating our soldiers like adults/  :not-again:
The CAF Operation to raise the tent city n Cornwall is dry for our soldiers...not even the two per day allowance.  ::)

[rant] MADD Puritans strike again.[/rant]

Remember, this site is unofficial and privately owned. The site benefits from the presence of current members willing to answer questions.

Offline Haggis

• "There ain't no hat badge on a helmet!"
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • "Oh, what a glorious sight, Warm-reekin, rich!"
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2017, 09:26:47 »
So much for treating our soldiers like adults/  :not-again:
The CAF Operation to raise the tent city n Cornwall is dry for our soldiers...not even the two per day allowance.  ::)

The PMCs in the Armoury they are billeted in are none to happy about this, either.
Train like your life depends on it.  Some day, it may.

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2017, 09:35:37 »
Is it reserves pulling guard duty on this task or regs?
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline Haggis

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2017, 09:44:08 »
Is it reserves pulling guard duty on this task or regs?
Nobody from the CAF is pulling guard duty.  That is a local law enforcement task, if required.  The asylum seekers have already undergone preliminary screening by the CBSA and are free to come and go as they please as long as they attend their scheduled immigration examinations.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 09:50:14 by Haggis »

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2017, 09:57:06 »
Ah right on. I seen pictures of CAF pers putting up tents, I figured they would be manning the camp or something.  I wonder which hotels they will be put up in this winter, I can't see them staying in tents.
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline Haggis

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2017, 10:01:14 »
Ah right on. I seen pictures of CAF pers putting up tents, I figured they would be manning the camp or something.  I wonder which hotels they will be put up in this winter, I can't see them staying in tents.

CAF personnel will be managing and maintaining the Interim Lodging Site (ILS) infrastructure.  That's all.  There is a plan to move the asylum seekers to more permanent accommodations before winter, if required.

Online kratz

Happy 150th.

• Float, Move, Fight
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2017, 10:34:05 »
The PMCs in the Armoury they are billeted in are none to happy about this, either.

The Combined Mess in the Nav Centre is none too happy either.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2017, 10:38:24 »
Once they are in Canada, I doubt the US would take them back.

Don't get me wrong, I am not without compassion for those less fortunate than Canadians are.  BUT...we are a country with, like all countries, limited resources.  We simply can't allow everyone who wants to come here in.  Those that do come have to, or should IMO, have something to bring to the table;  a skill, a trade, something that will make them a benefit the way Canada will benefit them.  They have to have the ability to, at some point and for the long term, pay taxes and contribute to Canadian society in a real, tangible way.

Doesn't this fall in line with Trudeau's and Soro's vision of the world?  Bringing down our 'wealth' to raise that of the poorer?
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline jmt18325

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2017, 10:41:56 »
Doesn't this fall in line with Trudeau's vision of the world?

I got rid of the conspiracy nonsense.  As to this part, no.  No Prime Minister of Canada has ever sought to bring down anyone in Canada.