Author Topic: Libel comments on social media  (Read 852 times)

Offline newofficer2016

• Rate Post
Libel comments on social media
« on: May 29, 2017, 08:01:34 »
Good day all; I have a question in regards to comments posted on social media. I was notified of a Facebook site my ex was on (she is also an officer). Anyways she was spouting off about me which is fine until she posted a picture of my name in a text as well as saying we are both military. Can she be charged? QR&O 19.14?

Offline Humphrey Bogart

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Libel comments on social media
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 08:21:29 »
Good day all; I have a question in regards to comments posted on social media. I was notified of a Facebook site my ex was on (she is also an officer). Anyways she was spouting off about me which is fine until she posted a picture of my name in a text as well as saying we are both military. Can she be charged? QR&O 19.14?

Why don't you try talking to her about it first?  It is poor professional form to bring personal life in to the work place, especially as an officer.

Offline Occam

Go RRRRRRRREDBLACKS!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 08:32:07 »
It is poor professional form to bring personal life in to the work place, especially as an officer.

It's also poor professional form (not to mention against policy) for a service member to harass another service member outside (or inside) the workplace, which is exactly what this is.  One service member identifying the other as a service member gives this a definite military nexus.

Offline Humphrey Bogart

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 08:41:01 »
It's also poor professional form (not to mention against policy) for a service member to harass another service member outside (or inside) the workplace, which is exactly what this is.  One service member identifying the other as a service member gives this a definite military nexus.

Couldn't agree more Occam.  I've seen this happen a few times in the past as I'm sure many of you have. 

OP, my advice is to see if you can track down aforementioned post(s), screenshot said posts and bring it to the attention of your CoC (preferably your CO).  A CO to CO telephone call should nip this in the bud right away.  If that doesn't work then more a harsher approach may be required.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 09:44:06 by Humphrey Bogart »

Offline Strike

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Welcome to the Dead Parrot's Society.
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2017, 09:12:34 »
Couldn't agree more Occam.  I've seen this happen a few times in the past as I'm sure many of you have. 

OP, my advice is to see if you can track down aforementioned post(s), screenshot said posts and bring it to the attention of your CoC (preferably your CO).  A CO to CO telephone call should nip this in the butt right away.  If that doesn't work then more a harsher approach may be required.

I think the term is "Nip it in the bud."   ;D

But I concur.  I even know of a member of this site who was harassed on social media and where the members were investigated due to their comments on FB.  I've also had to report on such actions (as a third party) and aided in investigations.

Beeking off about one's Ex is one thing.  But when any reference is made about either person's involvement in the CAF, especially when the member making the comment is also a CAF member (even if not readily apparent on their page) a line has been crossed.
Stop assuming I'm a man!

Don't know how long I want to keep playing this game...

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2017, 09:28:35 »
I was notified of a Facebook site my ex was on (she is also an officer). Anyways she was spouting off about me which is fine until she posted a picture of my name in a text as well as saying we are both military.

What should I do if I'm being bullied, harassed or attacked by someone on Facebook?
https://www.facebook.com/help/116326365118751

How do I report inappropriate or abusive things on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/help/212722115425932?helpref=faq_content

Can she be charged? QR&O 19.14?

For reference to the discussion,

19.14 - IMPROPER COMMENTS

(1) No officer or non-commissioned member shall make remarks or pass criticism tending to bring a superior into contempt, except as may be necessary for the proper presentation of a grievance under Chapter 7 (Grievances).

(2) No officer or non-commissioned member shall do or say anything that:
a.if seen or heard by any member of the public, might reflect discredit on the Canadian Forces or on any of its members; or
b.if seen by, heard by or reported to those under him, might discourage them or render them dissatisfied with their condition or the duties on which they are employed.

Forces.ca
Harassment - Questions and Answers
http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/caf-community-support-services-harassment/questions-and-answers.page

Q: If I have suffered from harassment, where can I find support?

A: If you are a CAF member who has suffered from harassment, in some organizations, Workplace Relations Advisors are available and are there to assist with the policy interpretation. Regional Conflict Resolution Centres are also available to assist members with conflict and/or harassment concerns. You also have access to the Canadian Forces Members Assistance Program, medical staff, padres, the Ombudsman and your chain of command.

See also,

Top 10 Tips for Internet Defamation Victims from a Canadian defamation lawyer
https://zvulony.ca/2012/articles/defamation-articles/top-ten-tips-libeled-internet/

« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 10:57:00 by mariomike »
Get on the bus. Take a ride with us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2lSGnPl-ww

Offline Humphrey Bogart

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2017, 09:48:12 »
I think the term is "Nip it in the bud."   ;D

But I concur.  I even know of a member of this site who was harassed on social media and where the members were investigated due to their comments on FB.  I've also had to report on such actions (as a third party) and aided in investigations.

Beeking off about one's Ex is one thing.  But when any reference is made about either person's involvement in the CAF, especially when the member making the comment is also a CAF member (even if not readily apparent on their page) a line has been crossed.

:rofl: :rofl: