Author Topic: CAN casulaties in Burkina Faso (Jan 2016, Aug 2017 attacks)  (Read 4448 times)

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
The latest, from The Canadian Press:
Six Canadians died in an attack on a luxury hotel in Burkina Faso, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced Saturday.

Four jihadist attackers linked to al-Qaida were killed by Burkina Faso and French security forces hours after they stormed the Splendid Hotel and nearby Cappuccino Cafe in Ouagadougou, establishments popular with westerners in the West African country's capital.

At least 23 died in the attacks, from 18 different countries, in the attack on the Splendid Hotel and nearby Cappuccino Cafe, establishments popular with westerners in Ouagadougou.

Trudeau issued a statement strongly condemning the attack that began late Friday and ended Saturday.

"On behalf of all Canadians, we offer our deepest condolences to the families, friends and colleagues of all those killed and a speedy recovery to all those injured. We are deeply saddened by these senseless acts of violence on innocent civilians,'' he said in the statement.

The statement did not give any information on the identities of the Canadians. The federal government is normally prohibited from providing such information due to privacy laws ...
Our PM's comments:
The Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau, today issued the following statement condemning the terrorist attacks in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, that killed several people, including six Canadian citizens, and injured many more.

"Canada strongly condemns the deadly terrorist attacks that took place in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso.

"On behalf of all Canadians, we offer our deepest condolences to the families, friends and colleagues of all those killed and a speedy recovery to all those injured. We are deeply saddened by these senseless acts of violence on innocent civilians.

"We have offered assistance to the Burkinabé authorities in their investigation of this terrible crime."
Map of where Burkina Faso is in Africa attached.

More in the news on this attack here (Google News) and here (European Commission news aggregator).

More on the country here (CIA World Factbook), here (BBC) and here (Wikipedia)

A bit of its conflict history at the International Crisis Group (short & sweet monthly updates) here.

Starting this here in Current Events - may move into African mega-thread once events/explanations settle a bit.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 20:21:02 by milnews.ca »
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
Re: 16 Jan 2016: 6 x CDNS killed in Burkina Faso attack
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 07:50:44 »
More on the Canadians killed, via CBC.ca:
The six Quebecers, including a family of four, who were killed during a 12-hour siege Friday in Burkina Faso were on a humanitarian mission.

Gladys Chamberland and her spouse Yves Carrier, 65, along with their children Charlerie et Maud, died when four jihadist attackers linked to al-Qaeda stormed the Splendid Hotel and nearby Cappuccino Café in the capital of Ouagadougou.

Louis Chabot and Suzanne Bernier had accompanied the family on their trip and were also killed during the attacks.

The family from Beauport, Que., left for Africa at the end of December on behalf of the Congrégation des sœurs de Notre-Dame du Perpétuel Secours, a religious congregation based in nine different countries.

Carrier, a retired professor, and Chamberland, who worked for the ministry of natural resources, were in Burkina Faso to build a school ...

This, from Global Affairs Canada:
The Honourable Stéphane Dion, Minister of Foreign Affairs, and the Honourable Marie-Claude Bibeau, Minister of International Development and La Francophonie, today issued the following statement concerning the deaths of more than 20 civilians, including six Canadians, in yesterday’s terrorist attack in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso:

“On behalf of the Government of Canada, we extend our deepest condolences to the family and friends of those killed in yesterday’s attack in Ouagadougou, among them Canadian aid workers and volunteers, and wish a speedy recovery to those injured.

“Canada condemns in the strongest terms any act that threatens the safety of civilians, including those who strive to improve the lives of vulnerable people around the world. Working in challenging and dangerous situations, their efforts to create lasting ties between peoples while building a more just and peaceful world will never cease.

“We stand with Burkina Faso and its people at this difficult time.

“This attack is yet again another reminder of the danger terrorism poses around the world and the need to work with partners to deal with global threats.

“Canadian officials are currently working with local authorities and are providing consular services to the families of Canadians affected.” ...

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 19:40:33 »
This from Reuters:
Al Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM) on Monday identified three fighters it says were responsible for attacks in Burkina Faso's capital Ouagadougou over the weekend that killed 29 people.

Gunmen from the Islamist militant group stormed the Cappuccino restaurant and the Splendid Hotel on Friday night, singling out white people for slaughter. Eight Burkinabes, six Canadians, three Ukrainians and two French people were killed, among others.

In a statement, AQIM named the three attackers as al-Battar al-Ansari, Abu Muhammad al-Buqali al-Ansari and Ahmed al-Fulani al-Ansari, according to SITE Intelligence group.

Al-Ansari is a nom de guerre that usually designates somebody from northern Mali, although it might just indicate where the brigade is based or originates from.

The statement included a picture of the three apparently adolescent "heroes" in beige fatigues carrying Kalashnikovs. Two were black and another, smiling faintly, was light-skinned, suggesting he might be from an Arab or Tuareg group.

The streets of Ouagadougou were unusually quiet on Monday in a country unaccustomed to the frequent jihadist attacks that have plagued its Western neighbor Mali. AQIM also claimed a similar attack on the Radisson Blu hotel in Mali's capital Bamako in November that killed 20 people ...
If you want to download the statement (in Arabic) from a non-terrorist site, check here.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Humphrey Bogart

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 19:46:35 »
This from Reuters:If you want to download the statement (in Arabic) from a non-terrorist site, check here.

I would love a little Beau Geste in the Desert. 

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2016, 19:55:53 »
I would love a little Beau Geste in the Desert.
As mentioned elsewhere, we've helped the French in Mali fight pretty ugly bad guys before, so some of the PowerPoint decks must already be templated somewhere ;D

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
"Mother of Burkina Faso terror victim criticizes Canada's IS stance "
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 07:05:52 »
From the Globe & Mail:
The mother of one of the victims in the Burkina Faso terrorist attack has sharply criticized the Trudeau government for plans to withdraw fighter jets from the fight against the Islamic State instead of boosting the military response.

Camille Carrier, whose daughter Maude was among the six Canadians killed at a hotel and café in Ouagadougou Friday night, said she is ashamed the Canadian government is not standing more forcefully with allies such as France in the fight against terror.

“I was ashamed before this happened, but obviously the loss of my daughter has only made me more revolted about this situation,” said Ms. Carrier, a retired administration professor at the Université du Québec à Trois-Rivières. “I’m so ashamed of my country.” ...
Holy "events", Batman ...

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Oldgateboatdriver

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2016, 08:08:46 »
Doesn't she understand it's because the "Kid" doesn't get invited when the adults make decisions:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-not-invited-isis-paris-meeting-1.3409420

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2016, 17:48:05 »
French-Canadian media:  Quebecers killed in Burkina Faso attack returning to Canada Tuesday (in French) - Google English:
The bodies of six aid workers from the Quebec City area who were killed in the terrorist attack on 15 January in Burkina Faso should be repatriated Tuesday, reports the Associated Press today.

This was said to news agency Frédéric Carrier, who lost his father and sister in the AQIM attack in Ouagadougou on January 15 that made ​​a total of 30 deaths.

Mr. Carrier, quoted by Canadian Press, said he was relieved because it feared that the remains are retained in Burkina Faso for a long time, for purposes of the investigation.

The funeral will now be planned.

Yves Carrier, his wife Gladys Chamberland, their son Charlelie and Maude half-sister, perished in the tragedy, as well as their friends Suzanne Bernier and Louis Chabot, Quebec. They were on a humanitarian mission in Ouagadougou, capital of Burkina Faso, when they were killed by AQIM shooters café-restaurant terrace Cappuccino they had come to take a last drink before leaving for Canada.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
Re: 15 Jan 2016: 6 x CDNS killed in Burkina Faso attack
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2016, 15:35:09 »
Busted!
Police in Burkina Faso arrested six “foreigners” suspected of being behind the jihadist attacks in January that left 30 people dead in the West-African nation, police and government officials said on Wednesday.

According to a press statement released by the police on Wednesday, the suspects arrested on Monday had sheltered the attackers, three of whom were killed during the January 15 raid, and were in contact with the mastermind of the plot.

Burkina’s Minister of Internal Security, Simon Compaore, told reporters the arrests were made thanks to intelligence shared by other West African security forces ...
More here and (in French) here.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter