Author Topic: Questions regarding posts and reserve vs reg  (Read 1049 times)

Offline raynes71

• Rate Post
Questions regarding posts and reserve vs reg
« on: April 15, 2017, 00:10:16 »
Hello

First Id like to thank everyone on the forums, lots of helpful info for newbs such as myself.
I have researched a few topics but as it is some answers just create more questions. I did search and read a lot, and i mean a LOT of topics but Im sure not all so for any duplicate questions, pls excuse me.

My family situation doesnt allow us to move (gfs kids and their father in Newfoundland, as per agreement cannot move out of there). Otherwise reg force would be first choice and we would be more mobile.

That being said from my research so far, there is Class A, B, and C available for reserves. Class B mostly only after the rank of Cpl. But I have read from other sources like news that many serve full time in reserves even longer than they are supposed to.
Im looking for full time or near full time. Available for deployments, training anywhere in the world. Its just once home time comes, id like to be able to be with the family in NL. Is this feasible? Even with a paycut compared to reg force, which i do understand. I dont presume I can get to Class B or C until everything is done until then as Class A can I work close to full time days?

My other question would be if enrolling in reg force, i hear picking posting (even just to stay within province) is non existent? or is that a possibility?

Like I said, we are flexible, but only as allowed by the contract, and ending up in Alberta and not seeing family and renting a unit by myself wherever posted makes no sense. But training or course work or deployments even for months, thats a different story.

Thanks for the help!

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
Re: Questions regarding posts and reserve vs reg
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 00:32:23 »
My family situation doesnt allow us to move

"If your loved one prefers to work close to home, then he or she may choose the Reserve Force."
http://www.forces.ca/en/page/forfamilies-151

As always,  Recruiting is your most trusted source of information.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 00:58:41 by mariomike »
Get on the bus. Take a ride with us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2lSGnPl-ww

Offline Ayrsayle

• Mentor
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 01:55:01 »
Reading a bit more into this site should give you most of the answers you are looking for (including the reference mariomike provided).  It is a lot to go through however so I'll point you in the right direction:

In a very short response:

- Reg Force members will move wherever they are directed to by the CAF.  Exemptions are few and far between (and even less likely at the start of a career). Based on the information you've provided - it is not a viable option for you.
- Most Reservists are Class A (Part time).  When fully qualified, they may have the opportunity to apply for Class B contracts (much like applying for any job - you'll interview for them, etc).  Class C is typically for deployments and other unique circumstances - it's not a "career" option.  The Reserves are an excellent part time career however (and often offer opportunities to have full time work at various times - but usually for short duration).

Regards,
Leadership is understanding people and involving them to help you do a job. That takes all of the good characteristics, like integrity, dedication of purpose, selflessness, knowledge, skill, implacability, as well as determination not to accept failure. ~Admiral Arleigh A. Burke

"It takes 10 minutes to dress like an Infantryman, but it takes a few years to become a good one" - Jungle (Army.ca)

Offline kratz

Happy 150th.

• Float, Move, Fight
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2017, 04:59:43 »
If you  can't​  move for a job for the Reserves,  then you've limited your employment options to mostly part-time ( class A ).  Yes, once you are trained, there might be short term opportunity for full-time work ( class b). Research this site, talk to your unit, it's not a career path to budget for.
Quote from: Pipe *General Call*
"Tanning Stations on the flight deck"

Remember, this site is unofficial and privately owned. The site benefits from the presence of current members willing to answer questions.

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2017, 07:39:12 »
if enrolling in reg force, i hear picking posting (even just to stay within province) is non existent? or is that a possibility?

Regular Force

Where will I serve?

Although your preferences will be taken into consideration, the Forces will post you where your skills are needed most. Usually, you can expect to move to a different base every few years.
http://www.forces.ca/en/page/careeroptions-123#tab3

Reserve

Where will I serve?

Reservists train and work close to home.
http://www.forces.ca/en/page/careeroptions-123#tab3

from my research so far, there is Class A, B, and C available for reserves.

Reserve Jobs
http://armyapp.forces.gc.ca/reo-oer/en/index.aspx

NOTE:

If you are not already a trained Reservist, these opportunities do not apply to you.

As always,  Recruiting is your most trusted source of information.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 08:45:50 by mariomike »
Get on the bus. Take a ride with us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2lSGnPl-ww

Offline raynes71

• Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2017, 19:56:11 »
Thank you for all the great info

Offline runormal

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2017, 06:43:12 »
I wouldn't join the reserves the looking for full time work. Yes there are some full time reserve staff at every unit, however these positions are few/far between. In addition it is very hard to progress because the job that you will have is filled by rank. So I'd you want to get promoted, you will have to find another job in a different rank. Even then, Class B's are all three year contracts at most. Some people make a career out of it, but that is much easier to do in a place like Ottawa/Toronto. I still wouldn't recommend it, the only way I'd go class B was if I got laid off and needed something in between.

The reserves is a great part time job. It was very flexible when I was in university. Now it just mixes up my 9-5 grind.