Author Topic: CAN Mission in Haiti (ops, medals, etc) - merged  (Read 54786 times)

Online PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
Re: Canada to takeover Haiti peacekeeping mission.
« Reply #75 on: March 10, 2016, 15:56:04 »
And you don't have to buy the Army and Air Force any shiny new equipment, can roll all that money into subs that barely sail and ships that are being built by shoddy contractors at 3x the price.

Offline medicineman

• Well stuck into my new job and thoroughly enjoying it.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
« Reply #76 on: March 10, 2016, 17:47:59 »
This will be what, the fourth or fifth time back there as a full time commitment in decent size?  Apparently the writing is too incoherent for people to understand that the place needs uncompromising, unbiased, and strong government, not us doing the job well trained and led police can and should do.

I can say this - I won't volunteer to go back there again.

MM
MM

Remember the basics of Medicine - "Pink is GOOD, Blue is BAD, Air goes in AND out, Blood Goes Round and Round"

I may sound like a pessimist, but I am a realist.

Offline recceguy

A Usual Suspect.

• At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats. -P.J. O’Rouke-
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • doddering docent to the museum of misanthropy
    • Army.ca
« Reply #77 on: March 10, 2016, 18:26:03 »
Keep the military occupied/committed to a large UN msn = Canada is fully committed to peace and does not have the resources to assist in any combat role, anywhere.

QFTFT!
“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.”

John G. Diefenbaker

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
Re: CAN Mission in Haiti (ops, medals, etc) - merged
« Reply #78 on: April 14, 2017, 14:09:46 »
Wonder what this'll mean for Canada's presence?
Recognizing the “major milestone” Haiti has achieved toward stabilization following recent elections, the Security Council today extended the mandate of the United Nations mission in the island nation for a final six-month period and authorized a smaller successor peacekeeping mission.

Unanimously adopting a new resolution, the Council decided that, after over 13 years operating in its current form, the UN Stabilization Mission, known by its French acronym, MINUSTAH, would gradually draw down its military component during the next six months, finally withdrawing from Haiti by 15 October 2017.

Acting on the recommendations of the Secretary-General, the Council also decided to establish a successor operation, the United Nations Mission for Justice Support in Haiti (MINUJUSTH), which would be mandated to assist the Haitian Government to strengthen rule of law institutions; further support and develop the National Police; and engage in human rights monitoring, reporting, and analysis.

Further to the resolution, MINUJUSTH would be composed of up to seven Formed Police Units – or 980 FPU personnel – and 295 Individual Police Officers for an initial period of six months from 16 October 2017 until 15 April 2018, and emphasized the importance of reaching those levels. The current Mission has just over 1,000 individual police and 11 police units.

The new Mission was also authorized to “protect civilians under imminent threat of physical violence, within its capabilities and areas of deployment, as needed.” ...
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
« Reply #79 on: April 15, 2017, 13:38:53 »
Hopefully we are out of there and the people can take self responsibility

Online Ostrozac

• Rate Post
« Reply #80 on: April 15, 2017, 16:52:37 »

Canada's CIVPOL contingent to MINUSTAH has constituted the bulk of Canada's contribution to UN peacekeeping for many years. I'm interested to see if the RCMP are participants in the successor force.

Offline Humphrey Bogart

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #81 on: April 15, 2017, 16:58:45 »
This might just be the new mission for the Biebs to take us, we can "lead" and not even have to commit the military!

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #82 on: April 15, 2017, 19:17:28 »
Recognizing the “major milestone” Haiti has achieved toward stabilization following recent elections, the Security Council today extended the mandate of the United Nations mission in the island nation for a final six-month period ......
....after over 13 years operating in its current form....
:rofl:

Yep, and Canada went into Cyprus on a 4-month mandate in 1964.  UNFICYP is now the #2 contributor to the Cypriot economy (after tourism) and still going strong.

Haiti can't make money off of tourism, so I'm not writing off that UN cash cow's presence just yet.