Author Topic: Should I email the recruiter?  (Read 1936 times)

Offline Canuck10

• Rate Post
Should I email the recruiter?
« on: February 27, 2017, 17:55:52 »
Hello,
I'm applying to join the Army reserves as a CE, 32 CER in Toronto. CFAT, FORCE, medical and interview have all been done (completed early December 2016) and, according to the recruiter, my med file was sent to Ottawa. I've since found out that my references have been contacted and my former high school was asked for my transcript. My last contact with the recruiter was December 12th - I was told that "a few things needed to be done before the file was done".

Normally I would wait patiently but in his last email, the recruiter mentioned that my file "should take a few more weeks due to the holiday season." As it's been 2 1/2 months since I last heard from him, should I email to ask how my file is doing? I don't want to bother him or anyone else at the CFRC and I know that some applications can take years, however I would like to find out if something's gone wrong as I've heard that files can be misplaced or bogged down for other reasons. I only ask this a) because the recruiter specifically said "a few weeks more" and b) because I went through all the sticky'd threads first.

Thanks!

:cdn:

Offline Buck_HRA

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
    • CAF - Find a Recruiter
Re: Should I email the recruiter?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 18:21:32 »
Good Day,

You mention that you're applying to 32 CER, so based on what you've stated the CFRC would have very little involvement in your file with the current status, as such you should reach out to the recruiter for 32 CER to find out your status - with that said I believe that all the units within 32 CBG fall under the Brigade Recruiters.  There really is no harm in reaching out to find out the status, especially with it being 2.5 months. 

Honestly with joining a Reserve Unit you don't want to wait too long as most units shut down in May/June for Summer Training.

Best Regards

Offline Canuck10

• Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 18:46:47 »
Buck,
Thank you for the quick reply! I didn't want to hassle the recruiting staff or act like I deserve special treatment, so I appreciate the advice.

Offline Lumber

• Donor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 22:54:41 »
Buck,
Thank you for the quick reply! I didn't want to hassle the recruiting staff or act like I deserve special treatment, so I appreciate the advice.

When you say "the recruiter", are you referring to someone at 32 CER or someone at the CFRC? I ask because, while your file does go to a CFRC for a lot of the processing (I.e. Medical), your primary point of contact should be with the reserve unit recruiter. If your file is with the CFRC, the unit recruiter should be the one calling them to ask them what's up, and it never hurts to call or email the unit recruiter.
"Aboard his ship, there is nothing outside a captain's control." - Captain Sir Edward Pellew

“Extremes to the right and to the left of any political dispute are always wrong.”
― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Death before dishonour! Nothing before coffee!

Offline Canuck10

• Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 10:27:25 »
I'm actually not 100% sure. When searching the FORCES.ca site to find out how to make my first contact, I found the 32 CER info and an email address with "32 CBG" in the title. Emailing that, I was contacted by a recruiter who I've since learned is with the Governor General's Horse Guards. Am I doing the right thing, or should I find 32 CER contact info? I haven't been told anything other than to stick with the this one recruiter so far.

Offline Lumber

• Donor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 11:12:49 »
I'm actually not 100% sure. When searching the FORCES.ca site to find out how to make my first contact, I found the 32 CER info and an email address with "32 CBG" in the title. Emailing that, I was contacted by a recruiter who I've since learned is with the Governor General's Horse Guards. Am I doing the right thing, or should I find 32 CER contact info? I haven't been told anything other than to stick with the this one recruiter so far.

I don't know for sure, but my bet is that 32 CER isn't large enough to have their own recruiters, so the recruiter from the Horse Guards is conducting recruiting for several units. This is a good thing, because it shouldn't be a recruiter from the CFRC who "owns" your file. The CFRC just does a lot of the processing that reserve units aren't equipped to perform (such as Medical, CFAT, Reliability Status, Interviews).

So, I would contact the Horse Guards recruiter directly, by email or phone, as ask him straight up if he knows where your file is, and if not, politely ask him if he could look into it for you.

I don't know about 32 CER, but at my unit my CO does not find it acceptable for potential recruits' files to sit in limbo with no explanation for long period of time. If you were being recruited here, it wouldn't even by YOU bugging our recruiter, it would be my CO getting regular SITREPS on recruit files and asking my recruiter "Hey, what's the deal with this Canuck10 guy? Why's his file been sitting doing nothing for 2.5 months. Get me answers. Now."

Good Luck.  :salute:
"Aboard his ship, there is nothing outside a captain's control." - Captain Sir Edward Pellew

“Extremes to the right and to the left of any political dispute are always wrong.”
― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Offline Canuck10

• Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2017, 14:58:36 »
Lumber,
That would make sense! I sent the Horse Guards recruiter an email, so I'm hoping to find out what's up soon. One more question, do you think it's possible that 32 CER doesn't know about my file at all, or have seen it and decided I'm not needed? Pardon my lack of knowledge about the process :)
Thanks!

Offline Lumber

• Donor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2017, 16:20:48 »
I can't recall, but wasn't your MCC interview conducted with a specific trade in mind? If they were interviewing your for a 32 CER trade, then the Horse Guard can't hire you, only 32 CER can. Either way, it doesn't hurt to ask the recruiter.

― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Offline Canuck10

• Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2017, 16:32:56 »
Lumber,
Thanks for clearing that up. Horse Guards recruiter has emailed back, saying "There is nothing you need to do at this time to move your file along. Your file is almost complete, you just need to continue to wait." So wait I shall continue to do. Thanks again for all the advice!
Canuck

Offline Buck_HRA

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
    • CAF - Find a Recruiter
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2017, 14:58:17 »
Point of clarification just for future.

Regardless of the unit (32 Sig Regt, 32 CER, Horse Guards, etc, etc) all units under 32 Canadian Brigade Group share their recruiters. 
There's a team of about 3-4 of them that do the recruiting for all units under the Brigade.

So although someone is joining 32 CER it is highly possible that a Recruiter that belongs to a different unit is doing the recruiting :-)

Offline Canuck10

• Rate Post
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2017, 18:51:16 »
Ah that makes sense! Thanks for the help :)