Author Topic: Motion M-103 coming up (split fm Politics in 2017)  (Read 15112 times)

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
Re: Motion M-103 coming up (split fm Politics in 2017)
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2017, 17:58:32 »
Just a quick add regarding your comment about Wikipedia was only one definition.  I checked a couple others before hand too.
Merriam-Webster
irrational fear of, aversion to, or discrimination against Islam or people who practice Islam

Oxford Dictionary.
Dislike of or prejudice against Islam or Muslims, especially as a political force.

Cambridge
unreasonable dislike or fear of, and prejudice against, Muslims or Islam:

Dictionary.com
hatred or fear of Muslims or of their politics or culture

Macmillian
hatred or fear of Muslims and Islam

There is a definite theme; if you dislike Islam you're an Islamophobe.

Agreed it's hard to ding someone for what they think but less hard to take someones criticism and twist it into hate speech.
Agree again about already existing hate speech laws but in reading the motion it's pointed out that it's felt Muslims are especially vulnerable to hate speech and hate crimes (despite Jewish people largely being the most represented victims of hate crimes in Canada).
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline MarkOttawa

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Two birthdays
    • Currently posting at Canadian Defence & Foreign Affairs Institute's "3Ds Blog"
Ça explique, mais ça n'excuse pas.

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2017, 19:41:32 »
Agreed it's hard to ding someone for what they think but less hard to take someones criticism and twist it into hate speech.
Worth keeping an eye out for, for sure.  Meanwhile, though, it only takes a few idiots to make outrageous statements (and you can find them all over social media from all sides) and claim freedom of speech before that excuse wears out, so one also has to be careful about how one "criticizes," too.
Agree again about already existing hate speech laws but in reading the motion it's pointed out that it's felt Muslims are especially vulnerable to hate speech and hate crimes (despite Jewish people largely being the most represented victims of hate crimes in Canada).
I don't read it that way, but we can agreed to disagree.  I agree with you about anti-Semitism, though.  We'll have to see how "Muslim" heavy the next steps are, as opposed to just looking for more ways to prevent any religion from being jerked around unreasonably or hatefully.
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline jollyjacktar

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • My uncle F/Sgt W.H.S. Buckwell KIA 14/05/43 22YOA
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2017, 20:30:52 »
Real M103 ;D:

Mark
Ottawa

You know, when I first read the title, I was hoping that it might be about some new equipment coming down the pipe that is needed, instead of hot air to appease some.
I'm just like the CAF, I seem to have retention issues.

Offline Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2017, 20:55:33 »
The immediate threat that this motion would bolster is that of the Human Rights Tribunals/Kangaroo Courts, which have been used to supress some very slight criticisms of Islam - Mark Steyn and Ezra Levant managed to fight back and achieve some legislative satisfaction. Those tribunals need to be eliminated.

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2017, 06:30:44 »
Quote from: milnews.ca
I don't read it that way, but we can agreed to disagree.  I agree with you about anti-Semitism, though. 
Happily no need to disagree with me here, that wasn't my view on things.  I was quoting the article and the MP who put forward the motion.  She feels Muslims are especially at risk.

I almost think anyone wearing something  with Trump written on it is presently the most at risk for hate crimes ;)

Offline Oldgateboatdriver

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2017, 07:35:16 »
I thought the Trump things constituted hat crime.  ;D

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2017, 07:41:09 »
The immediate threat that this motion would bolster is that of the Human Rights Tribunals/Kangaroo Courts, which have been used to supress some very slight criticisms of Islam - Mark Steyn and Ezra Levant managed to fight back and achieve some legislative satisfaction. Those tribunals need to be eliminated.

Ah yes, that one time where Levant accidentally WASN'T full of ****.
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2017, 16:51:36 »
Happily no need to disagree with me here, that wasn't my view on things.  I was quoting the article and the MP who put forward the motion.  She feels Muslims are especially at risk.
Remember what I said about how one says things?  This is how people get to say that Islamophobia is a problem ...
...  During the debate, Khalid read some of the messages she has received over her motion. In places where the author used unparliamentary language, Khalid inserted the word "blank."

Warning: some language will be offensive to some readers.

-- No need to debate her. Simply remind her that she is a merely woman and she needs to sit the blank down and shut the blank up. She has to comply according to Sharia.
-- Kill her and be down with it. I agree, she is here to kill us. She is sick and she needs to be deported.
-- Real Canadians will rise up and get rid of the nasty blank Muzzie stench in Ottawa. They should all go the blank back to your blank hole where you belong. We will burn down your mosques draper head Muslim.
-- Why did Canadians let her in? Ship her back.
-- Why don't you get out of my country? You're a disgusting piece of trash and you are definitely not wanted here by the majority of actual Canadians.
-- Blank off Pakistani, Yalibani. You blank yourself and go back to your blank hole of a country where you blank come from ugly.
-- If I want to call a Muslim piece of blank terorrist, I will. Go back to your blank hole country where you came from blank hole.
-- So the little n-word blank is whining about go home you Muslim? You're not home. Blanking stupid sand.
-- You're a cultural Marxist. Inclusivity blank trying to ruin Canada. Blank you gently with a chainsaw, you camel-humping terrorist incubator blank.
-- Shoot this blank.
Agree or disagree with Islam, I'm thinking a lot of people wouldn't think these are the best critiques of the religion or the individual in question.  The many will continue to suffer because of the worst idiots ... 

Just like threats on social media may not be the best way to air dissent, no matter whether the winning team jersey is red or blue.

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Kat Stevens

beth am dyrnu braf yn y gwddf?

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • that's how we roll in redneck land
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2017, 17:15:52 »
Cherry picking.  I wonder how many very respectful emails disagreeing with her stand did she receive?  How many times was anti Jew or anti infidel rhetoric used in the last sermon she attended at her mosque?  Again, that use of the "I" word needs to be scourged from her document.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 17:19:39 by Kat Stevens »
Apparently, a "USUAL SUSPECT"

“In peace there's nothing so becomes a man as modest stillness and humility; but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger; stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with hard-favor'd rage.”

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2017, 17:34:43 »
Agree or disagree with Islam, I'm thinking a lot of people wouldn't think these are the best critiques of the religion or the individual in question.  The many will continue to suffer because of the worst idiots ... 

Just like threats on social media may not be the best way to air dissent, no matter whether the winning team jersey is

I understand where you're coming from here but lets be honest, that kind of trash talk is prevalent across most social media on any number of topics.
I've had the same if not worse stuff said to me when I've tried to debate points or issues. I've mentioned before too that "vets" are among the most abusive I've found, as if talking about graphic violence somehow makes them bad ***.  In any case am I (are we) surprised by those comments? Don't think so.   Muslims can hardly claim to be the sole victim of online hatred like that. Hell if you want to see REALLY gruesome comments check out the comments when a female hunter posts a picture of an animal she shot and killed.

Also while I'm sure it's probably not the case, there's a number of growing examples of Muslims/Blacks/Jews/ traditional victims of hate crimes who are getting caught faking hate crimes against themselves. Or caught committing hate crimes against their own race/people. More so in the US but I believe there's been some cases here in Canada.
It's easy to picture some of those comments coming from Muslims themselves in order to vilify "Islamophobia".

Offline recceguy

A Usual Suspect.

• At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats. -P.J. O’Rouke-
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • doddering docent to the museum of misanthropy
    • Army.ca
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2017, 17:55:01 »
Maybe we should just start hitting people with sticks and stones.

Many will start to remember that words cannot hurt you.........................unless you let them.

It's supposed to take a lot to rile up a Canadian, but politicians have done it in spades.

Extreme vitriol against politicians? Tough crap, they brought it on themselves. Many Canadians are at the boiling point because of them.

And who's to say where those comments come from? I can imagine a muslim male calling her a ***** and to sit the frig down and shut up. Or it could be all set up to elicit sympathy. There's ton's of reasons anyone would have, in their mind, to say something like that. Again, tough crap. If I had their pay and pension you could call me whatever you want. I don't care now, but the cash would be nice [:)

But when you all read it, in your minds eye, all you saw was illiterate, angry, white dudes. Don't deny it. [;) And in my mind, that was the reason for her to say anything. 

Could be wrong. Who really knows? Just my thoughts.

“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.”

John G. Diefenbaker

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2017, 20:37:20 »
... words cannot hurt you.........................unless you let them ...
If that's truly the case, then this shouldn't be a problem, right?
... How many times was anti Jew or anti infidel rhetoric used in the last sermon she attended at her mosque? ...
Just words, right?  ;)
... I wonder how many very respectful emails disagreeing with her stand did she receive? ...
I'm glad we agree that we shouldn't judge any group (in this case, opponents of M-103) by the worst idiots in that group.
... But when you all read it, in your minds eye, all you saw was illiterate, angry, white dudes. Don't deny it. [;) ...
I just saw "Idiots, Generic, C1A1, For the use of" myself.
I understand where you're coming from here but lets be honest, that kind of trash talk is prevalent across most social media on any number of topics.
True, and I've even seen people around these parts being banned for language not even that inflammatory.  That doesn't make it right or helpful.
... It's easy to picture some of those comments coming from Muslims themselves in order to vilify "Islamophobia".
Still doesn't make them right or helpful.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 20:42:58 by milnews.ca »

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2017, 20:47:49 »

Still doesn't make them right or helpful.
On the contrary if you're pushing an Islamophobes everywhere! agenda then going on and making those kinds of comments will support your own argument and be very helpful. (not what you meant I know ;)  )
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 20:59:39 by Jarnhamar »

Offline Kat Stevens

beth am dyrnu braf yn y gwddf?

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • that's how we roll in redneck land
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2017, 20:54:13 »
If that's truly the case, then this shouldn't be a problem, right?Just words, right?  ;)I'm glad we agree that we shouldn't judge any group (in this case, opponents of M-103) by the worst idiots in that group.I just saw "Idiots, Generic, C1A1, For the use of" myself.True, and I've even seen people around these parts being banned for language not even that inflammatory.  That doesn't make it right or helpful.Still doesn't make them right or helpful.

Absolutely. Anti semitism doesn't hurt me in the least, being non Semitic , but if we're going for a bad words shouldn't be allowed motion because feelings, then you better make sure the field is level. By putting the "I" word in there, twice, you give it the high ground.
Apparently, a "USUAL SUSPECT"

“In peace there's nothing so becomes a man as modest stillness and humility; but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger; stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with hard-favor'd rage.”

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats

Offline recceguy

A Usual Suspect.

• At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats. -P.J. O’Rouke-
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • doddering docent to the museum of misanthropy
    • Army.ca
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2017, 01:06:03 »
Milnews,

I appreciate your response. I just don't agree.

Yes, I'm going to be a little OCD here. Words in themselves are not capable of causing physical injury. The interpretation of those words is unique to the individual. However, if enough people have enough similarities with those thoughts, they will gravitate to like and blend their collective thoughts into a common mission statement. If it results in the discovery of a cancer cure, great! If it results in total annihilation it doesn't change the thought that it is the fault of the interpreter. The interpreter, can decide to act or ignore, based on their emotional and mental condition or training. Anyone in earshot of someone talking makes a conscious decision to listen or not. They then decide whether it's something that interests them. Once they decide they are interested, it's up to them what they do with the situation, and what they heard. Individuals not a collection of spoken letters is what hurt people. I guess the test would be to take a profoundly deaf person, stand behind them and rhyme off hundreds of trigger words and phrases and see if the subject goes bonkers and tries to kill someone.

Semantics? Perhaps. I'm a believer that everyone has a free consciousness. It is you that determines your beliefs, actions and interaction with others. Not the words.

Hope that explains my viewpoint better. :salute:

“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.”

John G. Diefenbaker

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2017, 07:56:37 »
On the contrary if you're pushing an Islamophobes everywhere! agenda then going on and making those kinds of comments will support your own argument and be very helpful. (not what you meant I know ;)  )
What proportion of those comments do you think were made by Muslims who just want to stoke the flames from their side?  I'll go with "more than zero", but I think going lots more than that can lead to this kind of approach.
... you better make sure the field is level ...
Agreed.
... I appreciate your response. I just don't agree ...
I sensed that  ;D  Seriously, it would be a pretty boring thread if we all agreed with one side or another.  I'm just hoping we can continue to share a bit of reasonably-debated content from all sides while keeping the idiocy - from all sides - to a minimum  :salute:

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2017, 08:54:49 »
What proportion of those comments do you think were made by Muslims who just want to stoke the flames from their side?

Probably not very many, with a chance of none. However there's still a chance some were.

The story about all the comments reads to me like "see I'm right, look at all the Islamophobia".   My argument is that with the anonymity of the internet and the knowledge that minorities ARE getting caught doing fake hate crimes/fake hate speech against themselves [ check out hate crime hoax's int he US ], the story about all the negative comments shes getting isn't proof about anything. Other than people online are assholes.

Sure she's getting hateful comments. But she's not special and neither is Islam in that regard . If you, Milnews,  post a picture of a deer you shot (even stating you donated the meat to chairity)  and it's open source I bet you get comments from anti-hunters about going to your house and murdering your family. People on the internet are psychotic.

The MP suggests that Muslims are especially at risk and pushing a subtle "Islamophobia is special" agenda. I disagree. Many of the definitions of Islamophobia still include "dislike", that's a little too inclusive for me.  I think the next step is treating Islamophobia as a hate crime meaning I might get thrown in front of one of those kangaroo court tribunals for saying I think Islam is barbaric.

Offline Oldgateboatdriver

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2017, 09:11:55 »
Probably not very many, with a chance of none. However there's still a chance some were.

The story about all the comments reads to me like "see I'm right, look at all the Islamophobia".   My argument is that with the anonymity of the internet and the knowledge that minorities ARE getting caught doing fake hate crimes/fake hate speech against themselves [ check out hate crime hoax's int he US ], the story about all the negative comments shes getting isn't proof about anything. Other than people online are assholes.

Sure she's getting hateful comments. But she's not special and neither is Islam in that regard . If you, Milnews,  post a picture of a deer you shot (even stating you donated the meat to chairity)  and it's open source I bet you get comments from anti-hunters about going to your house and murdering your family. People on the internet online personnalities are psychotic.

The MP suggests that Muslims are especially at risk and pushing a subtle "Islamophobia is special" agenda. I disagree. Many of the definitions of Islamophobia still include "dislike", that's a little too inclusive for me.  I think the next step is treating Islamophobia as a hate crime meaning I might get thrown in front of one of those kangaroo court tribunals for saying I think Islam is barbaric.

Fixed that for you ... or as K once said: "A person is smart, but people are stupid."

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2017, 09:21:57 »
I thought the Trump things constituted hat crime.  ;D
Only because of the typo;  obviously spell check wouldn't pick up that it should read, "Make America Grate"

/tangent

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2017, 10:23:52 »
More paving for the road to hell. This is a license for the fundamentalists Muslim to push their crap and suppress their critics. You can bet if you criticize Islam or draw the Prophet, you will be attacked, you can also bet safe money that there is no interest in going after Atheists who belittle Christianity and abuse their symbols. My wife and I will be firing off letters tonight. 

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2017, 20:16:43 »
I neither fear, nor 'dislike' Muslims.  I do have "CONCERNS" about the recent arrivals in the last decade or two of so many from Muslim countries which have less than stellar Human Rights and Social believes and practices.  I wonder if we can have Iqra Khalid give us her views on some of the concerns many Canadians have about:

1.  Female Genital Mutilation;

2.  Child Brides;

3.  Stoning of women who are "accused" of having sex outside of marriage, having "sex" (?) due to being raped, and various other offences under Sharia Law;

4.  Throwing homosexuals to their death or stoning them to death;

5.  The use of Chia Boys and/or the rape of young boys; and

6.  What is her opinion on Sharia Law?

Seriously.  These are not fears, nor dislikes, but serious concerns that run counter to what our societal beliefs are.  To silence those concerns is a slap in the face of our Charter of Human Rights.  Women, the LBGTQ, and children are the real victims here, and we should have serious concerns.

As an aside, the practice in point # 4 makes one wonder why all in point # 5 have not been thrown off of the top of building.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2017, 10:04:01 »
Feb 18, 2017

Police investigate anti-Muslim rally outside Toronto mosque as possible hate crime
Too soon to tell if protest crosses 'fine line' between freedom of expression and criminal act, police say
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/police-investigate-anti-muslim-rally-hate-crime-1.3990044
Rally held amid debate on anti-Islamophobia motion
Get on the bus. Take a ride with us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2lSGnPl-ww

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2017, 12:28:41 »
Feb 18, 2017

Police investigate anti-Muslim rally outside Toronto mosque as possible hate crime

Destroy anyone who displaced Canadians.
Kill them one by one,  spare no one.
Purify the country from the filth of the  Muslims. 

Think that would be considered islamophobia or hate speech?

I think so, at least hate speech...

Funny thing is there's a certain building in Toronto where this stuff was said last year,  albeit it was targeting a group which represents the highest number of hate crime victims in Canada.

Any guess which building it was?  Here's a hint,  there was just a rally outside of it.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 14:28:38 by Jarnhamar »

Offline Jed

• Rate Post
« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2017, 12:33:36 »
Feb 18, 2017

Too soon to tell if protest crosses 'fine line' between freedom of expression and criminal act, police say
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/police-investigate-anti-muslim-rally-hate-crime-1.3990044
Rally held amid debate on anti-Islamophobia motion

And simple human nature begins to kick in and all this 'crap' starts. If the followers of the faith keep up the 'poor me I'm a victim' approach and have it intensified by the Media and self serving politicians, this is bound to occur. It appears to me that 'Islam' abhors anything other than 'total submission'. It seems pretty hard for a large number of followers of the faith to get along with their neighbors. Maybe the faith needs a major reformation so most individuals can get along with others that don't submit to 'Allah'?

No one needs or wants this nonsense in our Country.

To be clear I would never support a protest on either side of this issue.  My preferable personal response would be 'look the other way, nothing to see here...'

Peace, out. :peace:
As the old man used to say: " I used to be a coyote, but I'm alright nooooOOOOWWW!"