Author Topic: Locks for Barrack Box / Kit Bags  (Read 6261 times)

Offline BorisK

• Rate Post
    • Westbury National Show Systems Ltd.
Locks for Barrack Box / Kit Bags
« on: December 08, 2016, 02:55:37 »
Getting the feeling that the basic high school locker combination locks that I've been using up until now might not be the smartest thing to have on my follow-on kit box (Big Brown Pelican Case) that's loaded with some decent kit.

Was planning on using them because it saves me needing to carry keys, but I'm guessing its also a good way to get my stuff stolen or the lock damaged by weather / impact when loading in and out of trucks.

Your experiences / suggestions would be much appreciated.  Thanks in advance as I know this is a rather boring post.

-B

Offline LunchMeat

• Banned
  • Rate Post
Re: Locks for Barrack Box / Kit Bags
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 03:44:25 »
Lots of guys use combo locks because it's harder to lock keys in your locker and then have to request the Master Key (bolt cutters).

It's also harder to lose keys, if you don't use them in the first place.

Lots of guys also use key locks. To each their own.
"The most important six inches on the battlefield is between your ears.” ~General James "Mad Dog" Mattis, USMC

Offline Lerch

• The Guns, thank God the Guns!
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2016, 07:24:07 »
If you're actually carrying serialized kit in your MOB box, then by all means, get a heavy duty lock to keep it secure. Otherwise it's totally up to you.

It's your kit, so keep it as secure as you're comfortable, whether it's combo or keyed locks.
Stay frosty

Words_Twice

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 01:57:34 »
I used a keyed lock on my barracks box, a million years ago, and I used to tape one of the spare keys to the bottom half, the detachable portion, of my ID disk (dog tag). That would be my emergency key, I kept the usual use key on my keychain.

Offline ModlrMike

: Riding time again... woohooo!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 10:56:22 »
The only issue I had with combination locks was that it's more sh!t to remember. Decades ago I bought a set of four locks which provided eight identical keys. One in the wallet, one on the ID disks, one on the car keys, and one at work, still leaves you four keys. If you lose all eight, then you're probably past any help we can give you.  ;D
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 12:00:42 »
I buy these Master locks or ones very similar at Crappy Tire.  They fit the brown ICBs and duffle bags (I don't have or use a MOB box as no CAL will take them).  2 sets of 3 (2 per ICB) gives me 2 ICBs and 2 duffle bags worth of locks and 2 keys to worry about.  Aside from them freezing up a little (I also use them on my outside locks for my shed, snowblower, etc) I've had zero issues with them.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 12:03:52 by Eye In The Sky »
Everything happens for a reason.

Sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions.

Offline NFLD Sapper

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • CFSME STAFF
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2017, 12:13:41 »
EITS there are new half sized MOB boxes now....
CHIMO!
First in, Last out
Sappers Lead the Way

Just tell your wife she owes your life to some Muddy Old Engineer,
Some dusty, crusty, croaking, joking Muddy Old Engineer

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 12:32:48 »
Yup, and they are called ICBs;  I was issued 2 of those vice the MOB; no commercial airliner will accept the MOBs.  (ICB=Individual Combat Box, made by Pelican)   :nod:
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 12:53:29 by Eye In The Sky »

Offline NFLD Sapper

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • CFSME STAFF
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2017, 12:48:44 »
Yup, and they are called ICBs;  I was issued 2 of those vice the MOB.  (ICB=Individual Combat Box, made by Pelican)   :nod:

Seen
CHIMO!
First in, Last out
Sappers Lead the Way

Just tell your wife she owes your life to some Muddy Old Engineer,
Some dusty, crusty, croaking, joking Muddy Old Engineer

Offline MilEME09

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2017, 01:17:56 »
no commercial airliner will accept the MOBs.

False, I have flown twice with my MOB with WestJet, was charged the oversized fee in one case but had no issues otherwise.
"We are called a Battalion, Authorized to be company strength, parade as a platoon, Operating as a section"

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2017, 06:03:55 »
False, I have flown twice with my MOB with WestJet, was charged the oversized fee in one case but had no issues otherwise.

I think the issue wasn't with a Canadian domestic carrier, but with some international ones. 
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2017, 08:19:41 »
I think the issue wasn't with a Canadian domestic carrier, but with some international ones.

Ya, I can't remember where I read it...could have been the CJIO, something from the SOR...I can't recall 100%.  But it did state the MOB was not to be used as it is not accepted on CALs.

If Jo Blow militia guy can get away with it in Canada, great.  But it makes more sense to use ICBs, etc and the tax payer not have to pay for extra baggage/weight fees.  On SF the MOB isn't an issue but we don't always get that..."luxury".