Author Topic: French Navy's Super Étendard jets make last carrier launches before retirement  (Read 5309 times)

Offline S.M.A.

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
The torch passed to the French Navy's Rafale Ms?

Foxtrot Alpha

Super Étendard Attack Jets Make Their Last Carrier Catapult Launches Ever
Tyler Rogoway
Today 9:44am
Filed to: Super Étendard

Super Étendard Attack Jets Make Their Last Carrier Catapult Launches Ever

France’s only aircraft carrier, the nuclear powered Charles De Gaulle, returned to its home port in Toulon, France yesterday. Before its arrival, the Dassault Super Étendard, an aircraft that has spent nearly 40 years fighting France’s wars abroad, took its final catapult launch off an aircraft carrier.

(...SNIPPED)

Our Country
--------------------------------
"A leader is best when people barely know he exists, when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will say: We did it ourselves."   - Lao Zi (老子)
-------------------------------------------
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
- Winston Churchill

jollyjacktar

I love the videos on YouTube with these guys flying on the deck, balls to the wall.   

Offline Kilo_302

• Banned
  • Rate Post
I love the videos on YouTube with these guys flying on the deck, balls to the wall.

I would imagine French fighter pilots make up a quarter of GoPro's annual sales. Conservatively.

Offline Oldgateboatdriver

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
I love the little touch: The catapult officer signalling the shoot with a sword instead of the little flags.

Bien joué, les gars. Vous les avez eus!

Bonne retraite, SEM.

Offline Retired AF Guy

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Just curious about the splash in the water when the aircraft is launched from the carrier.
"Leave one wolf alive, and the sheep are never safe."

Arya Stark

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
Just curious about the splash in the water when the aircraft is launched from the carrier.

[:D

My experience from Bosnia: a 500 lb bomb.   >:D
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

jollyjacktar

I believe it is the steam catapult fitting that the nose wheel is hooked onto.

Offline Oldgateboatdriver

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post

It's a sling. You see the handlers install it when the SEM gets readied for launch.

The SEM did not have a hook on the front wheel that is inserted into the catapult's "rabbit". Instead, there are two hooks under the wings near the body on both sides. A sling is attached to one hook, looped around the "rabbit" and back to the other side's hook. The SEM is then catapulted as if it was in a slingshot, and the sling just drops in the water. They are expandables.

We had the same system on the Bonnie for the Banshees and the Trackers. 

Offline Chief Engineer

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
"When your draught exceeds your depth, you are most assuredly aground"

All opinions stated are not official policy of the CF and of a private individual

كافر