Author Topic: Dutch ships and designs and the possibilities for Canada  (Read 54384 times)

Offline MarkOttawa

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Two birthdays
    • The 3Ds Blog
Re: Dutch ships and designs and the possibilities for Canada
« Reply #100 on: November 13, 2017, 20:21:10 »
But in fact neither Canada nor anybody else actually declared war--was called a UN "police action":
http://www.cbc.ca/archives/entry/canada-pledges-military-aid-to-south-korea

Mark
Ottawa
Ça explique, mais ça n'excuse pas.

Offline Underway

• Donor
  • Rate Post
« Reply #101 on: November 13, 2017, 21:29:26 »
I think underestimating the threat that NK is becoming, is very short-sighted.

Not underestimating the threat. Approaching it from reality.  Don't overinflate Canada's geopolitical importance.  We are a non-player and are not even on the NK radar.  Like I said if you are going to blow someone up then you better pick someone who if you hurt it really matters from a geopolitical point of view.  Why hit Canada and have all of NATO fall on you when you can hit the US and hurt them before all of NATO falls on you.  Better yet hit Japan and really do some damage before anyone can even defend themselves, while avoiding NATO all together.  Or even hit Taiwan, just to really f things up.  No, we don't even rate a tertiary target.

Offline Karel Doorman

• Rate Post
« Reply #102 on: December 03, 2017, 18:24:10 »
So i have an artist impression (Damen)of the new class of ASW/GP frigates together with the new MCM vessels to be built in the next years.(Damen's idea of how these ships could look like)

v_MFF_en_v_MCM" border="0

Here 1 of the Frigate alone.

v_MFF_By_Damen" border="0

These are the 3 pictures released by the DMO(Defence Material Organisation,roughly translated),they show a different picture.(also artist impressions)

silhouetten_vergeleken_v_MFF" border="0

A is from 2014
B is from 2015
C is from 2017

« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 19:56:07 by Karel Doorman »
Karel Doorman(Battle of the Java Sea)

"I'm attacking,follow me"

Offline Karel Doorman

• Rate Post
« Reply #103 on: December 06, 2017, 00:38:49 »
And today(well yesterday) was the day for the 1st Smart-L MMN to be delivered to the DMO(Defence Material Organisation)for the DZP class.

Thales delivered the first SMART-L MM/N radar to the Defence Materiel Organisation. This milestone marks an important moment in time, where we continue to fulfil the big ambitions of our Netherlands Ministry of Defence.

https://www.facebook.com/ThalesNederland/?hc_ref=ARSrb79ZROX2_gJavf_H88zh0Zjgpa5keVN3n2sW_KUAOl_tPi9wJt_czHsHGyN48AY&fref=nf
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 00:45:01 by Karel Doorman »

Offline Karel Doorman

• Rate Post
« Reply #104 on: March 20, 2018, 14:27:17 »
Thales Goalkeeper Passes Sea Acceptance Trials Following Upgrade

The first Goalkeeper Close-In Weapon System of the Royal Netherlands Navy equipped with the Upkeep modifications contracted in 2012, was subjected to the Sea Acceptance Trials (SAT) and passed all tests with flying colours.

The tests with air targets included: detection, tracking and elimination of Kinetiq Banshee propeller and jet drones with traditional and modern inbound attack flight paths. For surface targets, the same procedure was carried out with Kinetiq Sprite II drones.

The Upkeep Modification will once again bring performance of the Goalkeeper system to the highest operational status, in correspondence with the Royal Netherlands Navy’s ambition to optimally protect its crew and ships during overseas deployments. The Upkeep consists of new algorithms and state-of-the-art electro-optic tracking capabilities, making Goalkeeper capable of dealing with any threat, including modern, evasive maneuvering air threats with a complex trajectory. The system was developed in the 1980s; the update will enable its deployment for many years to come.

The Goalkeeper SAT was performed on HNLMS Johan de Witt. Other Goalkeeper Customers expressed their interest in this Upkeep modification.

Over the years, Goalkeeper's excellent performance has been clearly demonstrated in various live firing trials. A total of 63 Goalkeepers have been sold to Navies across Europe, the Middle East and the Far East.

https://www.navyrecognition.com/index.php/news/defence-news/2018/march-2018-navy-naval-defense-news/6067-thales-goalkeeper-passes-sea-acceptance-trials-following-upgrade.html

Offline Karel Doorman

• Rate Post
« Reply #105 on: March 26, 2018, 14:15:00 »
The latest rendering and possibly the final one for the new ASW frigates(look very nice)Budget for these(for now 2 for The Netherlands and 2 for Belgium with option for 2 more for The Netherlands) is about 2-2.5 billion.

The strange thing offcourse is that Belgium has budgetted about 1.5 billion for 2,so very likely that we will buy more(let's hope so) :whistle:

https://photos-5.dropbox.com/t/2/AADZD1PCHlnJXA097bO8xSuEfxWxHEkU7xsH5S1DOhXJ6g/12/154874981/png/32x32/3/1522105200/0/2/vMFF_0318_edit.png/EJq3sXYY2QQgBygH/qGuYOYXAhIzlH3yN3em4VV6b6_6PZDmN0DzpOMyT6Z8?dl=0&preserve_transparency=1&size=2048x1536&size_mode=3
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 14:20:20 by Karel Doorman »

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #106 on: March 26, 2018, 20:18:28 »
Gotta find work for Canadian shipyards I would think.

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
« Reply #107 on: March 28, 2018, 13:12:32 »
Gotta find work for Canadian shipyards I would think.

that will be the driving force.

Offline Karel Doorman

• Rate Post
« Reply #108 on: June 02, 2018, 01:49:56 »
exciting news for us the proposed design from Damen/Saab has been revealed,for the Walrus replacement. 8)

Saab-Damen presents design of the replacement Walrus-class class submarine

http://nlnavy.damen.com/saab-damen-presents-design-replacement-walrus-class-submarine/

jollyjacktar

« Reply #109 on: June 02, 2018, 07:33:03 »
Very sleek and nice.

Offline Karel Doorman

• Rate Post
« Reply #110 on: July 24, 2018, 11:27:55 »
Some dual spot operations on board The Johan de Witt  (LPD)of the Dutch Navy.

https://youtu.be/-nwgNXTsbY8

Offline Karel Doorman

• Rate Post
« Reply #111 on: November 07, 2018, 14:11:08 »
ndoDefence 2018: Damen Unveils 6000 Tons 'Omega' Frigate

November 2018 Naval News   
    Posted On Wednesday, 07 November 2018 17:05

By Xavier Vavasseur - Editor in Chief
At IndoDefence 2018, the tri service defense exposition currently held in Jakarta, Indonesia, Dutch shipbuilding group Damen unveiled the new 6,000 tons class 'Omega' Frigate design.

IndoDefence 2018 Damen Unveils 6000 Tons Omega Frigate 1 The new Omega frigate by Damen. Damen image.

Talking to Navy Recognition at the event, Bob De Smedt, one of the naval architect who worked on the Omega project, explained that the scale model on display is representative of an early concept for the future Royal Netherlands Navy (Koninklijke Marine) and Belgian Navy (Marinecomponent / Composante marine) M Frigate replacement. However the main reason the new Omega class of frigates was unveiled at IndoDefence (and not Euronaval for example which was held two weeks ago) is because Damen is now ready to answer Indonesia's potential need for a large frigate (hence the 'FFI' name on a Damen image, standing for Future Frigate Indonesia).

Omega is actually set to be a new family or product line by Damen, that will come in addition to (and above) the famous Sigma product line. The main difference however is that there will be no "standard Omega lines": Omega designs will always be fully tailored to customer requirements.

For this reason, a future Indonesian Navy (TNI AL) Omega frigate design is likely to look different to the future M Frigate replacement... unless Indonesia is willing and able to team up with the Dutch and Belgian order. The Netherlands and Belgium are jointly procuring four frigates (two each) to replace their M frigates. Navy Recognition learned from various sources during IndoDefence that TNI AL has an "emerging need" for a 6,000 tons class of frigates as a follow on to its third and fourth PKR frigates (also a Damen design, of the Sigma family).

While this design could be proposed to other navies (New Zealand comes to mind), Damen stressed that this is not the  design they are offering for Germany's MKS 180. Damen could not elaborate further about MKS 180.

IndoDefence 2018 Damen Unveils 6000 Tons Omega Frigate 2 Omega frigate sailing alongside TNI AL's PKR frigate (Sigma 10514). Artist impression: Damen.

Omega design features
Damen explained to us that the Omega / FFI frigate is based on the proven LCF / De Zeven Provinciën-class frigate hull form. The vessel features an hybrid propulsion system consisting of 4x diesel engines (two can be used for economic speed, four for sprint) plus 2x electric engines. The diesel engines are separated forward and aft for increased survivability. Power generation aboard the ship takes into account future weapon systems such as directed energy weapons.

The Omega frigate features two large multi mission bays: One amidship and one at the stern. As is the trend with latest generation frigates (Type 26 and FTI/Belharra) the midship multimission bay goes across from port to starboard sides with an overhead handling system to load and move containers or launch and recover RHIBS or USVs/UUVs. The midship multimission bay is large enough to accommodate up to 4x 20 foot containers and the stern multmission bay can accommodate 2x 20 foot containers. Note that there is an additional space on the upper deck, next to the anti-ship missile launchers for 2x additional containers.

IndoDefence 2018 Damen Unveils 6000 Tons Omega Frigate 3 Omega scale model on Damen stand at Indodefence 2018. Navy Recognition picture.

Thales S/X suite
The futuristic looking (almost Zumwalt-eske) topside of the Omega Frigate is mainly due to the new generation radar suite provided by Thales: Boudewijn Geerink from Thales Netherlands told Navy Recognition at Indodefence 2018 that it is the new S/X suite consisting of the SeaMaster 400 fixed panel S-band radar suite and the APAR Block II X-band multi-function radar, both using gallium nitride technology. According to Thales, the new fixed panel S-band radar solution is the right answer to counter threats posed by airborne or surface drones, precision-guided munitions, or submarine-fired pop-up missiles, typically attacking just above the sea surface (low elevation, sea skimming) or from high elevation angles (high diving). APAR Blk2 defends against saturation attacks in the highest threat scenarios by supporting many simultaneous AAW and ASuW engagements with both active and semi-active guidance using ICWI. Thales SeaMaster 400 offers a range of 450km while APAR Block 2 can replace illuminators to directly provide guidance for ESSM and SM-2 missiles.

Omega frigate is also available with different radar configurations. A version fitted with a rotating radar (such as the Thales NS200) is also being pitched by Damen.

IndoDefence 2018 Damen Unveils 6000 Tons Omega Frigate 4 Omega scale model on Damen stand at Indodefence 2018. Navy Recognition picture.

Weapons and other sensors
The weapons and sensor suite depends on customers requirements as usual. However the scale model on display at Indodefence shows the Omega frigate fitted with a 127mm main gun by leonardo, a 76mm secondary gun (non penetrating variant) by Leonardo on top of the helicopter hangar, a Rheinmetall Millenium CIWS, 2x Leonardo Hitrole remote weapon stations, 8x Kongsberg NSM anti-ship missiles, 4x Rheinmetall MASS decoy launchers, a Thales Kingklip hull mounted sonar and a Captas-4 variable depth sonar, 4x satellite link antennas and 2x Thales Mirador EO systems. For air defense, the scale model shows 24x VLS cells (likely VL MICA NG for Indonesia or ESSM Block 2 for Netherlands and Belgium).

IndoDefence 2018 Damen Unveils 6000 Tons Omega Frigate 5 Omega scale model on Damen stand at Indodefence 2018. Navy Recognition picture.

Omega frigate /  FFI early specifications:
Length: 144 meters
Breadth: 18.8 meters
Displacement: 6100 tons
Max. speed: 29 knots
Range: 5,000 nautical miles @ 18 knots
Endurance: 30 days at sea
Stabilisation: Rudder roll (similar to LCF)
Crew: 122 sailors (accommodations for up to 160)
Storage space for 3x 12 meters RHIBs
Hangar space for 2x medium lift helicopters and/or UAV.

https://www.navyrecognition.com/index.php/news/defence-news/2018/november-2018-navy-naval-defense-news/6660-indodefence-2018-damen-unveils-6000-tons-omega-frigate.html
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 14:15:47 by Karel Doorman »

Offline Karel Doorman

• Rate Post
« Reply #112 on: January 25, 2019, 15:34:05 »
As i said(in the Victoria lead)a new CSS(Combat Support Ship )will be build,will look similar to this:

https://youtu.be/_W0FlGLXO9Y

Sorry,it's in Dutch,but you'll get the picure(no punn intended)

Offline Karel Doorman

• Rate Post
« Reply #113 on: February 13, 2019, 06:32:30 »
Negotiations have started with Chili,to replace the 2 L-class frigates(ex-Dutch)for our 2 remaining M-class frigates.

If all goes to plan(agreement)first ship to be delivered in 2024,last in 2027.

Article is in Dutch(but in short that is what it says) :nod:

Defensie verkoopt m-fregatten aan Chili

https://www.telegraaf.nl/t/3145759/ via @telegraaf

Offline Karel Doorman

• Rate Post
« Reply #114 on: February 28, 2019, 09:56:24 »
A bit more news about the new upcomming Multi purpose frigates.(not the definite design,btw  ;D )

https://www.navyrecognition.com/index.php/news/defence-news/2019/february/6855-thales-group-awarded-contract-for-the-belgian-dutch-anti-air-frigates.html

and the rivalry for the new subs tightens. :orly:

Contenders line up for Netherlands replacement submarines

Industry rivals for the Netherlands’ Walrus-class submarine replacement programme have laid out details of their propositions ahead of the government’s release of the all-important ‘B-letter’ that will start the definition phase of the programme.

France’s Naval Group, Navantia in Spain, Saab Kockums of Sweden, and German shipbuilding group thyssenkrupp Marine Systems are all proposing in-country construction of new non-nuclear boats, and promising significant opportunities for Dutch industry consistent with the government’s recently unveiled Defence Industry Strategy (DIS).

Local media reports suggest that Saab Kockums (teamed with Damen) and Naval Group (in partnership with Royal IHC) are set to be shortlisted to participate in the B-phase.

[Source: Janes.com ]

Offline Oldgateboatdriver

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #115 on: February 28, 2019, 15:06:59 »
A bit more news about the new upcomming Multi purpose frigates.(not the definite design,btw  ;D )

I sure hope so. Who is the genius who decided to put a five inch gun on top of the helicopter hangar ???

Offline Karel Doorman

• Rate Post
« Reply #116 on: March 01, 2019, 08:49:01 »
I sure hope so. Who is the genius who decided to put a five inch gun on top of the helicopter hangar ???

Euhm,it's not a 5 inch(127mm),those are 2 76mm sovraponte's.   :tsktsk:  (no penetration),and btw,no exeption, our LCF's all have a Goalkeeper in the same spot. 8)

Above Water Warfare System (AWWS)

The development of AWWS has become necessary because above-water threats are growing exponentially in terms of complexity, coordination and speed. Missiles go up to three times faster than the speed of sound, and possibly even up to five times faster in 2020. Currently used technologies are insufficient to make use of all the new sensor and weapon systems to counter these threats in the future. This new system continuously generates the best solution to counter any incoming threats, whatever the environmental conditions or threat complexity. The system will support the operator in making the right decision at every decisive moment.

When faced with scenarios of several different threats arriving simultaneously and employing complex behaviours, such as very high speed, a human operator will no longer be able to schedule and plan the right defensive priorities effectively and efficiently. However, AWWS will offer the operator information to make the right decisions within seconds, so the ship can protect itself successfully and continue on its mission.

AWWS will consist of a new generation of sensors, coupled with intelligent software that continuously calculates which actions are best suited to tackle each threat detected by radar and other sensors in the right manner. This maximizes the chance of survival, while the crew stays in control.

This system uses the latest sensor technology from Thales to detect and monitor all abovewater threats, including the next-generation, fully digital dual-band X/S radar suite: an integral combination of Active Phased Array Radar (APAR) and Sea Master 400 radar technologies.

https://www.navyrecognition.com/index.php/news/defence-news/2019/february/6855-thales-group-awarded-contract-for-the-belgian-dutch-anti-air-frigates.html
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 08:53:09 by Karel Doorman »

Offline Karel Doorman

• Rate Post
« Reply #117 on: March 15, 2019, 07:15:15 »
a bit more clarity.(M-class replacement)

Will be based on the Omega design,great looking vessels. :D(see reply#102(Damen's artist impressions) or link reply#111 to get an idea)

Thales Netherlands and the Defense Materiel Organization (DMO) of the Dutch Navy have concluded an agreement for the development of the combat system of the 4 new frigates for the Dutch and Belgian navies that will replace as many M-class units currently in service. RID was able to participate both in the official ceremony and in the presentations related to the program in favor of the press which were held in Hengelo, in the Netherlands, the main site of Thales Netherlands. The combat system is produced according to a scheme typical of the Royal Netherlands Navy presented as a "Dutch naval ecosystem", in which the Marina's design offices maintain the initiative on the design of the units and actively participate in all the design phases and industrialization. The expected general characteristics of the units were illustrated by Vice-Admiral Arie-Jan de Waard, Director of DMO and by Gerben Edelijn, CEO of Thales Netherlands. The ships will have strong antisubmarine capabilities (ASW), but will have a specific suite - called Above Water Warfare Suite (AWWS) - to combat surface and air threats. Physically, the hull is built on the basis of Damen Shipbuilding's OMEGA frigate project, revisited by the Royal Netherlands Navy's design offices. The main sensors will be grouped in the integrated SEA MAST 400 mast, in which a new dual-band radar in X and S bands will be integrated, probably in the wake of what can be done today with the NS-100/200 family radar. To the sensors in the tower will be added electronic warfare equipment and deception distributors (chaff and flares). The armament has not been specifically discussed, but it is very likely that it will be based on the surface-to-air missiles of the SM-2 family which will guarantee the defense of the area, while for the artillery there are 2 76 mm towers Leonardo SOVRAPONTE, one aft and one in the bow, and 2 remote controlled MARLIN units, also by Leonardo, with a 30 mm machine gun. The anti-ship missiles have not been decided, but given the collaboration with Deutsche Marine to standardize the equipment it is to be assumed that they will opt for the Saab RBS-15 Mk.3 / 4 (cited as an example by Viceammiraglio de Waard during the presentation) . The first unit will be delivered to the Netherlands in 2025, the second in 2026. The Belgian units will follow in 2027 and 2028.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 07:37:54 by Karel Doorman »

Offline Fred Herriot

• Rate Post
  • New Recruit
    • http://NA
« Reply #118 on: March 15, 2019, 09:55:28 »
What about ships like the SIGMA 9113-class corvettes?  Would be perfect to replace the Kingston-class ships, I believe.
Non Nobis Sed Patriae
Servire Armatis

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
« Reply #119 on: March 15, 2019, 13:57:26 »
50% bigger, blurs the line between the classes. The Kingston can get into places the larger vessels can't.

Offline Karel Doorman

• Rate Post
« Reply #120 on: March 15, 2019, 17:34:01 »
And more news,builder for the 12 new MCM ships is known(replacement "tripartite-class),sorry for the "google" translation. :-X

Thanks to an unbeatable financial proposal, Naval Group would take the rope to extract from STX / Thales a € 2 billion contract for the supply of twelve minehunters to Belgium and the Netherlands. The naval group would also have benefited from a boost from Foreign Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian. What the Quai d'Orsay denies.

Atmosphere, atmosphere. Between STX, Thales and Naval Group, the atmosphere will soon be very, very explosive. The new Belgian Minister of Defense and Foreign Affairs, Didier Reynders, was supposed to award, on Friday after a restricted interdepartmental council, a contract for the purchase of twelve minesweepers by the Belgian navy (six vessels ) and the Netherlands (six others) for approximately € 2 billion. However, the decision could be postponed, according to concordant sources. Belgium has in principle until the end of the month to decide, the legislative elections are scheduled for May 26. Brussels is not at its first postponement.

"The contract award for demining vessels has been slightly delayed for two to three months, partly because of the complexity of the procurement file," Defense Minister Didier Reynders said on Wednesday. Why: "In order to give bidders the maximum opportunity to submit compliant and optimized offers, it was necessary to extend the negotiation period by a few weeks".

The Belgian choice should generate strong explanations between the three groups which are closely linked to each other: STX is 15% owned by Naval Group, which itself has a stake in Thales (35%). For its part, the State has participations in the three groups. A little more consistency would have made the position of France more healthy situation. The consortium STX / Thales, backed by France, and Naval Group have engaged a fierce competition, too fierce ... which could be ultimately disastrous for both groups. An umpteenth Franco-French export war, which should never have taken place. Initially, the Directorate General of Armament (DGA) had asked the Naval Group not to compete but the group finally forced the door after the departure of the delegate general for weapons, Laurent Collet-Billon. The Hôtel de Brienne is delighted with a possible French victory in Belgium, explains one in the entourage of Florence Parly.

Three consortia submitted bids deemed credible by the Belgian Directorate General of Material Resources (DGMR), which has already eliminated the Spanish shipyard Navantia: the Dutch group Damen Schelde, associated with the company IMTECH België; a consortium called Sea Naval Solutions, bringing together the Thales shipyards, including Thales Belgium, STX France, Socarenam and the Antwerp firm Engine Deck Repair (EDR); and, finally, a consortium between Naval Group and ECA Robotics called Naval & Robotics.
Naval Group winner?

According to Belgian sources, it is Naval Group, who would hold the rope the day before (?) The award of contract in front of favorite STX / Thales, who was still the race in the lead in recent weeks. The naval group would have made an unbeatable financial proposal to win this market, which could not, it seems, not escape technologically and politically to the electronics group, one of the world champions, otherwise the champion anti-submarine warfare. Because sonar acoustic performance is the key to detecting mines and systems. "Between Thales and ECA, there are several divisions of difference in this area," ensures a very good knowledge of the case.

Thales, which has developed a CAPTAS 4 sonar of excellence for French multi-mission frigates (FREMM), is also working on a new-generation sonar for future nuclear launching submarines (SNLE). State-of-the-art technologies that meet the needs of the Belgian navy, a reference in NATO for mine warfare. This capacity is important for Belgium in a context of renewed international tensions, particularly with Russia, which tests Western defenses in the air and under the sea. "Belgium is the pilot country for a project on the future development of autonomous systems of mine action," said Wednesday the Belgian Defense Minister before the Defense Committee.

For example, last August, during an exercise off the coast of Norway, NATO's SNMCMG 1 mine-control fleet was under Belgian command, the command and support vessel being the Godetia. Every year, Belgian minesweepers take part in a NATO demining campaign carried out by an international squadron from the Baltic coast to the Mediterranean. According to the Belgian Ministry of Defense, stalking

Offline Karel Doorman

• Rate Post
« Reply #121 on: March 22, 2019, 06:40:28 »

ECA Group won €450 million through Belgian-Dutch MCM contract

As part of the Belgian-Dutch Mine Counter Measures (MCM) contract awarded to the Belgium Naval & Robotics consortium, with a worth value of €2.2 billion, ECA Group is to win €450 million for the building and the procurement of a total of 100 drones (ROVs) to supply the 12 mine-hunting vessels.

As a reminder, a call for tenders was launched by the Belgian and Dutch navies in the Summer of 2018, seeking for companies to build a provide them 12 brand new autonomous mine-hunting vessels, scheduled to be fitted with a state-of-the-art toolbox.

Recently, the Belgian government in charge of the final decision has awarded the contract to the Belgium Naval & Robotics consortium, which regroups Naval Group and ECA Robotics. As part of this contract, ECA Group is in charge of the building of a total amount of 100 drones to supply the 12 mine-hunting vessels (6 for each navy).

The 10-year program will start with a design phase of about 3 years before the production and delivery phase of the drone systems. The contract should generate revenue starting 2019. This contract will be, by far, the largest contract ever won by ECA Group, its amount being greater than 4 years of turnover for the group.

This success is the achievement of a strategy focused for many years on the development of drone systems composed of multiple and varied drones cooperating as autonomously as possible within the same mission. In this case, it is a mine clearance mission at sea.

The Belgian and Dutch navies are thus acquiring the latest generation of mine hunters designed by Naval Group and fully integrating ECA Group's naval drones systems capable of conducting submarine mine clearance operations autonomously in the minefield. The drone systems to provide are the latest generations of drones developed over the last 4 years. The drones, all integrated into ECA Group's C2 MCM system, are Autonomous Underwater Vehicles (AUVs),towed sonars and Mine Identification & Destruction Systems (MIDS) composed of Remotely Operated Vehicles (ROV) for the identification and destruction of mines, all of these drones can be implemented fully automatically from the USV (Unmanned Surface Vehicles). The naval drones system also incorporates UAVs (Unmanned Aerial Vehicles) and sweeps.

The Belgian navy is a reference in submarine mine clearance within NATO, this contract is a major asset for export: as 40 years ago with the tripartite mine hunters program that had generated sales of PAP robots to dozens of marines in 20 years, this success in Belgium should generate many commercial export benefits in the coming years.

Several major navies including France, India or England will renew their mine hunting fleet in the coming years. In addition, ECA Group believes that most navies will also be equipped with transportable drone systems that can be used from the coast.

A significant part of the execution of the contract will take place in Belgium within ECA Robotics Belgium, as part of a cooperation plan that already includes 39 Belgian partners. The equipped surface drones will be designed and produced in Belgium and all underwater drones will also be produced there. Finally, these naval or air drones generate a logistic support, repairs, spares activities that can be done by ECA Robotics Belgium. These activities generate additional revenues as maintenance and support contracts throughout the lifespan of drones, generally greater than 20 years for naval drones.

[Source: Navy Recognition  @ Article ]

Offline Karel Doorman

• Rate Post
« Reply #122 on: March 22, 2019, 06:46:49 »
and a bit about the the new Thales X/S suite(wich will be on the new frigates)

Naval News
Gepubliceerd op 20 mrt. 2019
An important element of Thales' AWWS is the new "X/S Suite". This next-generation, fully digital dual-band X/S radar suite is an integral combination of the SeaMaster 400 fixed panel S-band radar suite and the APAR Block II X-band multi-function radar, both using gallium nitride technology.

https://youtu.be/QAUhBC7Eyfs

Offline Karel Doorman

• Rate Post
« Reply #123 on: March 23, 2019, 07:48:37 »
Finally the new SMART-LMM is here(first ship,the.........."The Seven" will get it first) 8)

Thales SMART-L MM Radar Installed on HNLMS De Zeven Provinciën Frigate
The Royal Netherlands Navy HNLMS De Zeven Provinciën Frigate has received her SMART-L Multi Mission radar upgrade, providing enhanced Air and Missile Defense capability.

Xavier Vavasseur 23 Mar 2019

HNLMS De Zeven Provinciën is the lead ship of her class (also known as LCF for Air Defense and Command Frigate). All four ships of the class will be upgraded with the new radar (and other systems) as part of the modernization programme.

According to Thales, the SMART-L MM is a next generation Long Range Multi Mission Radar for Air and Space Surveillance and Ballistic Missile Detection. The fully digitally controlled Active Electronically Scanned Array (AESA) type of radar, applying GaN transmitter and Dual Axis Multibeam receiver technology, is capable of detecting a very wide variety of air and space objects including stealth, short up to long range ballistic missiles and space objects. The SMART-L MM is capable of surveillance and tracking of Ballistic Missiles up to 2000 km while simultaneous maintaining the Air Defence capability. Aboard the LCF vessels, the MM variant replaces the existing SMART-L radars.
Thales SMART-L MM Radar Installed on HNLMS De Zeven Provinciën Frigate 2

With the SMART-L MM, Thales is also considering export prospects such as the German Navy’s three Sachsen-class air-defence frigates (F 124) for which a requirement for new BMD capable radars as been issues, as well as further down the road, the upgrade of the French Navy’s two Horizon class air-defence destroyers.

Regarding the LCF, the mordernization effort includes other systems: Plans were announced in 2018 to acquire the BMD-capable SM-3 surface-to-air missiles (these plans still need to be confirmed). De Zeven Provinciën-class frigates can pass on the tracking and detection data to other sea-based or land-defense BMD assets, including U.S. Navy’s warships, that can deal with a ballistic missile threat.

On 3 May 2018 the Dutch Secretary of Defence, Barbara Visser, informed the Dutch national parliament that the Raytheon evolved sea sparrow missile (ESSM) aboard the De Zeven Provinciën-class frigates will be upgraded from block 1 to block 2. This upgrade will be completed by 2024 along with a new anti-ship missile (to replace the existing Harpoon). Last but not least, the existing 127mm Oto Melara (Leonardo) main guns will be replaced as those are over 50 years old and were acquired second hand from the Canadian Navy. On March 20th, a contract notice for the supply of 127mm guns was issued on the European tender platform TED. The programme named “Frigates 127 mm gun replacement program” has a estimated value between 50 and 200 million Euros. Both Leonardo and BAE Systems are expected to bid with their respective gun systems, along with their smart, guided ammunition.

https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news/2019/03/thales-smart-l-mm-radar-installed-on-hnlms-de-zeven-provincien-frigate/

Offline Karel Doorman

• Rate Post
« Reply #124 on: June 28, 2019, 06:31:59 »
a bit more news about equipment onboard the vMFF(to be build frigates),and good news for the rest of the "fleet"

RNLN puts down marker for hard-kill torpedo defence | Jane's 360

https://www.janes.com/article/89548/rnln-puts-down-marker-for-hard-kill-torpedo-defence#.XRWzf3uxRkU.twitter