Author Topic: Common, Generic Recruiting Questions [MERGED]  (Read 16092 times)

Offline rob555

• Rate Post
Common, Generic Recruiting Questions [MERGED]
« on: March 24, 2015, 22:54:35 »
Let me start off by saying I am 20 years old.

I'm not sure if I want to join due to my father's health issues, I have a fear that I'll be in basic training and he'll pass away or I'll have to stay for a long time before I can visit home. This is an issue that might hinder me from joining, as I have just been reunited with him after several years and don't really want to leave again. But I don't want to put this off for so long and end up joining when I'm like 24 or 25 or something.

How long does basic training last for?

Another question is will I have to take orders from someone younger than me possibly? I don't care about taking orders from older people but to take it from someone younger just bothers me, I KNOW this sounds stupid but it's a hang up I'm trying to deal with.

Really not sure what to do, sick of not doing anything with my life.  :cdn:

« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 19:13:15 by kratz »

Offline rob555

• Rate Post

Offline recceguy

A Usual Suspect.

• At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats. -P.J. O’Rouke-
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • doddering docent to the museum of misanthropy
    • Army.ca
Re: Common, Generic Recruiting Questions [MERGED]
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 23:04:55 »
Welcome to Milnet.ca

All these questions have been asked and answered before. As per Site Guidelines, please try searching first to avoid asking repetitive questions.

---Staff---
“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.”

John G. Diefenbaker

Offline ACE_Engr

• Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 14:23:00 »
Hello All. I have frequented this board for a few months now, learning and gathering information, and have visited and searched through hundreds of posts (especially the Recruiting Office section). I have found the members to be quite informative and friendly, which makes for a good experience.

Well, having completed my Masters, I am now seriously considering pursuing my plans to join the CF. I still have many questions that I need answers to, and I have been in contact the local Canadian Forces recruitment center for a meeting. The MCpl in charge has asked me to provide him with a list of questions and/or come in next week to discuss them. I am copy-pasting my email to him below in hopes that I can get more information from the general board members here. This way, I will know if I have to ask him any further clarifying questions or not:

-------------------------
MCpl .......,

I have Rugby training tonight from 6:30PM until 9:30PM. Other than those hours, you may call me at any time at the number provided.
However, to save us time, below is a list of my questions:

Background information:

I currently work at an Aerospace & Defense Engineering company in Mississauga, ON, and have recently completed my Masters in Aerospace Engineering from the University of Toronto. I also hold a Bachelor of Applied Science degree in Electrical and Computer Engineering from the University of Toronto. In addition to this, I have around 6 years of professional experience in the defense and aerospace industries. The reason I am stating this will become apparent below.

Questions:

1. I am interested in serving as a part-time reserve officer close to home (Mississauga/Toronto), while maintaining my full-time occupation as an Engineer. I would like to know how recruits in my situation typically manage to take the large amount of time required for BMQ/BMOQ and subsequent training off from their jobs. Ideally, I would like not to have to resign from my current position to pursue a CF part-time career (my family is reliant on my income, and I do not believe the CF pay for trainees and 2nd Lt. alone will be nearly sufficient to provide for them).

2. I have been looking at a few of the positions offered, and would like to discuss the roles and responsibilities of each in more detail so as to determine which role best fits my interest/qualifications. This is something we can do over the telephone or I can come in on Monday. These roles are:
- Engineer Officer (currently my top choice)
- Aerospace Engineering Officer
- Infantry Officer
- Electrical and Mechanical Engineering Officer

Also, I understand that the Pilot role is not offered to direct entry reserve candidates. However, this is a role for which I will consider joining the full-time regular force. Are the Canadian Forces currently recruiting for this role?

3. As per my understanding, all direct entry officers enter the CF as 2nd Lt. upon completion of the BMOQ. Is this a hard-line rule, or are there exceptions? If yes, do I qualify for an exception (given my experience and academic background)?

4. This is a personal one and may be unique: I am a practicing Muslim, which means I pray 5 times a day, fast during the month of Ramadan, and eat strictly Halal foods. I am hoping that other practicing Muslims have gone through the recruitment process before me and joined the Canadian Forces. Do CF bases and training centers (especially CFLRS) have provisions to cater to these religious requirements? The 5 daily prayers can usually be managed within a few minutes of breaks (not much longer than most bathroom breaks), and I have never had trouble fitting them into a busy day. However, being able to fast in the month of Ramadan, and the availability of Halal food, are issues that are of great personal importance to me, and will determine whether I can proceed or not.

Thank you very much for your time and patience.

Sincerely,
-------------------------

I have searched through the forum and have found somewhat decent answers to most of these questions. However, I would like to know the answers with certainty, as things stand now. My understanding of the answers is as follows:

1. I could not find decent answers to this question.
2. I did find a lot of information on the roles (which is why Engineer Officer is my current choice), but I am not sure which role I qualify for best.
3. In rare circumstances, a new DEO may be awarded the rank of Captain. However, this typically requires previous MILITARY experience. So, not so sure that I would qualify. i ask this because, as implied in the email, the online 2nd Lt. pay scale does not match my current pay scale, which is the main reason I want to join as a part-time Officer.
4. Some bases (not known which) do provide Halal provisions and rations, and breaks for a few minutes from class/training time are ok (as long as most bathroom breaks). I could not find sufficient information regarding fasting in Ramadan, however (FYI, in war-time, or on the front lines, we Muslims are exempted from fasting).

Thanks for your time and patience.

Offline Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 15:01:14 »
I am copy-pasting my email to him below in hopes that I can get more information from the general board members here.

"General board members" are not permitted to post in the "Ask a CAF Recruiter" forum.

If you wish, I shall move this to a more appropriate forum. Recruiters may or may not be able to answer Reserve-specific questions, and others can answer all of your questions.

Offline Master Corporal Steven

• Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 15:06:58 »
Good day ACE_Engr,

We have a recruiting website at http://www.forces.ca/ which will answer almost all of your questions. Service in the primary reserve is part time and there is a pay guide on the website along with videos on life in the primary reserve force. After reviewing the information provided on our website if you still have questions that have not been answered then submit another post on this thread.

You can also go to the contact us section of the recruiting website: http://www.forces.ca/en/page/contactus-73 and using your postal code lookup all the primary reserve units in your area along with the occupations available for application within your area.

I have served in the primary reserve for over 10 years.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 15:10:23 by Master Corporal Steven »
Forces.ca

Offline ACE_Engr

• Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 17:15:08 »
If you wish, I shall move this to a more appropriate forum
Yes, Loachman, please move it to a more appropriate section. Thank you.

MCpl Steven. Thank you. I am currently awaiting the recruiter's response.

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2015, 20:31:26 »
However, being able to fast in the month of Ramadan, and the availability of Halal food, are issues that are of great personal importance to me, and will determine whether I can proceed or not.

You may find some of these discussions helpful ( in case you have not already read them ).

Halal
https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+halal&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=RjSTVZzSF42o_ALEwoDYBQ&gws_rd=ssl

Religion in the Canadian Forces
http://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=25815.0;nowap
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 21:01:14 by mariomike »
Get on the bus. Take a ride with us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2lSGnPl-ww

Offline DAA

Administration is not an exact science..

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2015, 09:12:30 »
I'll give it a shot............

1.  Being able to balance a full-time career with part-time CF employment can only be answered by you!  BMQ/BMOQ crses are conducted on weekends to facilitate those who are not able to take large blocks of time off from their primary jobs. 

2.  You would have to find out which Reserve Units and which occupations are currently available/hiring in your local area.  When joining the Reserves, you just can't pick an occupation at random.  The CF is "always" recruiting and processing applications for Regular Force Pilots.

3.  All DEO Officers are initially enrolled as OCdt's and will be promoted to 2Lt (or higher, dependent upon occupation and entry plan) upon successful completion of BMOQ.  There are exceptions but these are few and far between.

4.  As far as religion is concerned, the CF makes every effort to "accommodate" the religious needs of individuals, however, operational/training priorities can and sometimes do conflict with this.  They will also attempt to accommodate your dietary requirements where possible but don't expect this to occur regularly.
Got a question that you're afraid to ask online?  PM me!  I don't bite........

Offline runormal

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2015, 12:31:52 »
1. You simply have to ask for the time off. There isn't anything the CF provides your employer or anything. You might need to look into taking leave with out pay. You can sell and explain to your employer the benefits I.E "leadership, problem solving, working under pressure etc" and see if that helps sway their mind. However depending on the trade you want this will mean multiple summers. I was simply lucky that my employer (Grocery Store) gave me a month off for SQ and hired me back for the following summer knowing that I might leave at any minute for my DP 1 course (I found out 4 days before the course started  >:D). My other friends were  not as a lucky as I was, most ending up doing temp work or didn't work at all.

2. Figure out which units are in your geographical area and what trades they are hiring for
http://www.forces.ca/en/centres/findarecruiter-110

3. I don't know enough to comment

4. From another thread
http://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=30884.225
"A number of folks here have been saying that being a vegetarian in the CF is not an issue.  Wrong.  It is an issue.  Yes, we all have stories of vegetarians we know that have managed and that's fine, but it can be difficult to maintain a vegetarian diet in the CF and no one should be misled into thinking that it's "not an issue."  As I've mentioned before, the only guarantees with regard to diet in the CF  at this point are for medical reasons.  Yes, most kitchens will try to accommodate folks as much as they can, but there are no guarantees and no regulatory requirement to do so.  Maintaining a vegetarian diet will mostly be an individual responsibility and will take forethought and planning.  Sometimes, the only vegetarian choice from the kitchen may be the potatoes...

On a similar note, if you're "hard core" vegan, vegetarian, kosher, halal, etc, and cannot eat anything that has been touched by a utensil that has been used for something else, you can forget that, because that's just not happening.  We do not maintain vegan, vegetarian, kosher, halal, etc. kitchens."

Offline ACE_Engr

• Rate Post
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2015, 18:10:10 »
Thank you all. I spoke with a recruiter over the phone today, and will be visiting the Denison Armoury on Tuesday for further answers/information. Once I have the info, I will post it here for future recruits/information seekers.

BMQ/BMOQ crses are conducted on weekends to facilitate those who are not able to take large blocks of time off from their primary jobs.

I was under the impression this was no longer the case: that all BMQ/BMOQ courses were held full-time at the CFLRS. If weekend BMOQ is offered, that would be a HUGE positive for me. Do you know where I can find more info on this? (I'll be sure to Google it and ask the recruiter on Tuesday).

--------
I will also try and visit the Moss Park Armoury to learn more about possibly joining up as an Infantry Officer with jump training (I love skydiving, so why not give it a shot). Does anybody know the approx. percentage of people selected for jump school after BMOQ (the recruiter informed me that only 2% of those who apply for the Pilot trade make it, so clearly they keep these stats).

Offline Harris

is in to a warm place.

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2015, 20:40:33 »
I was under the impression this was no longer the case: that all BMQ/BMOQ courses were held full-time at the CFLRS. If weekend BMOQ is offered, that would be a HUGE positive for me.

--------
I will also try and visit the Moss Park Armoury to learn more about possibly joining up as an Infantry Officer with jump training (I love skydiving, so why not give it a shot). Does anybody know the approx. percentage of people selected for jump school after BMOQ (the recruiter informed me that only 2% of those who apply for the Pilot trade make it, so clearly they keep these stats).

BMOQ is offered on weekends, but your trade crse(s) are not.  You will still need to take training during the summer (time dependant on trade).

I'm not in the units in Toronto, but my understanding is that they only get a very few jump spots a year.  Who gets to go is/should be based on merit and taskings, so don't expect to get a course for the first few years at least.
Cheers

Todd
Army.ca

"...persons escaping a lethal dose of radiation may well be rendered seriously ill and or be more prone to various forms of cancer in later years. Hence, their morale and performance may be expected to slump."
Crap, I think I got a lethal dose!!!

Offline ACE_Engr

• Rate Post
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2015, 11:03:55 »
BMOQ is offered on weekends, but your trade crse(s) are not.  You will still need to take training during the summer (time dependant on trade).

Thank you for the info, Harris. Is there a webpage that lists the lengths of the trade courses? Or does anybody know how long the Engineer Officer and Infantry Officer trade courses are? I think I remember reading somewhere that the Engineer Officer trade course is 3 weeks and held in Gagetown.

Also. At what point does one graduate from Officer Cadet to 2nd Lt, at the end of BMOQ or upon completion of a trade course? I read that you become a 2nd Lt. once you are considered "fully trained", but I am not sure what fully trained means in this context.

Offline DAA

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2015, 09:45:28 »
Thank you for the info, Harris. Is there a webpage that lists the lengths of the trade courses? Or does anybody know how long the Engineer Officer and Infantry Officer trade courses are? I think I remember reading somewhere that the Engineer Officer trade course is 3 weeks and held in Gagetown.

Also. At what point does one graduate from Officer Cadet to 2nd Lt, at the end of BMOQ or upon completion of a trade course? I read that you become a 2nd Lt. once you are considered "fully trained", but I am not sure what fully trained means in this context.

Promotion to 2Lt normally occurs upon Graduation from BMOQ.  Promotion to Lt normally occurs once you have completed both your environmental and occupational training and have been a 2Lt for a minimum of one year.

Offline runormal

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2015, 11:27:00 »

Ask the unit you are applying to, they will have the most up to date information.... Then once you get the answers post them on here for other applicants.

I highly doubt that that Officer Trade course is only 3 weeks. I know friends who there as reserve NCM's for a much longer amount of time.

Offline ACE_Engr

• Rate Post
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2015, 12:40:55 »
Folks,

I had a phone conversation and then a personal meeting with the recruiter, and got all my original and new questions answered. For the purpose of spreading information, I am posting the answers here. There is certainly a lack of information on the part-time Reserve Officer role online (most information here is geared towards Reg Force), so hopefully this helps others.

-----------------
1. What are the stages of training, and their durations?

For part-time reserve officers, the mandatory stages of training are as follows:
Basic Military Officers Qualification (BMOQ) : Done part-time on alternating weekends (Friday night to Sunday night) for 6-7 months. Can also be done full-time. This is pretty much the same course as the BMQ.
Basic Military Officers Qualification Land (BMOQ-L) : 10 week course, can only be done full-time in the summer. Is broken into 2 5 week modules so it can be done over 2 summers.
Trades Course (aka Phase III) : 12-14 weeks (depending upon trade), can only be done full-time

In addition to this basic qualification training, you may volunteer for further training (French language, jump course, etc), which may or may not be offered part-time.

For me, personally, this is the single greatest hurdle. I don't see my employer agreeing to allow me to take months off from work every year.

2. Once training is complete, what is the time commitment?

For part-time Reservists, the commitment is 1 weeknight per week for 3 hours, and 1 weekend per month. There are sometimes opportunities to serve additional time during the week.

3. What are Class A, B, and C Reserves?

Class A reserves are part-time Reservists during normal working conditions (i.e., non full-time training)
Class B are full-time reservists or part-time reservists on full-time training (for example, during BMOQ-L)
Class C are reservists on deployment (this makes them temporarily equivalent to regular force members)

4. How does the pay work?

Class A and B reservists either get paid for a full day (6 hours or more) or half day (less than 6 hours). So, the 1 weeknight per week (3 hours) counts as half-day, and the 1 weekend per month (2.5 days) is 2 full-days and 1 half-day.  Here's the pay-scale: http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/caf-community-pay/officer-class-a-b-service-rates.page

Class C reservists get paid a salary like Reg Force members. http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/caf-community-pay/reg-force-class-c-officer-rates.page

5. If I have a university undergraduate degree, what rank will I join as?

The answer to this question was contrary to EVERYTHING I had read on this forum before. I made sure to ask him for clarification and he was certain this was the case.

With a relevant and recognized university undergraduate degree, I will get the rank of 2nd Lt. immediately after joining (yes, even before BMOQ). I will NOT be an Officer Cadet. Once I complete my basic three stages of training (BMOQ, BMOQ-L, Trades), I will immediately be promoted to Lt.

6. What if I need a vacation or some time off?

For part-time reservists, vacation is unpaid (obviously). You can ask for time off from your superiors at any point, and it is usually not a big issue. However, if you require more than 3 months off, it becomes increasingly difficult as the time off has to be approved by an increasingly high ranking Officer (something you want to avoid).

7. I am interested in getting parachute training. Can I only do that if I join the Infantry with an Airborne unit (such as the Queen's Own Rifles of Canada)?

There is a difference between being parachute qualified and airborne qualified. Parachute qualification requires that you pass the jump course. Airborne qualification requires you to train as part of an airborne unit (para qualification + other related training). So, the parachute training course can be taken by any soldier, as long as they can qualify through the highly competitive selection process. Other than Infantry, you can find Engineers and even Armoured soldiers with parachute qualifications. However, parachute training does not make you an Airborne qualified soldier. Units that are qualified as Airborne train specifically for that job.

8. I would like to know how recruits with full-time jobs typically manage to take the large amounts of time required for training off

The part-time class of reservist is designed specifically with working or studying individuals in mind. Therefore, the CF does what it can to make sure your regular job is not affected during normal operation. This is why there is no mandatory commitment, and you will never be involuntarily transferred to a different unit or deployed, etc. However, there is no way around the mandatory training periods which require a full-time commitment, as they are vital training for soldiers (as the recruiter said, you can't fit 72 hours of training with sleep deprivation over the weekend). Therefore, it is up to the individual to come to an arrangement with their employer/academic institution for the required time off from work.

9. Based on my qualifications, which role would you recommend for me; Engineer Officer, Infantry Officer, or Aerospace Engineering Officer?

You meet the necessary background for all these roles, and perhaps are best suited to an Engineering role. However, it is not just about what you are qualified for. It depends more on what you WANT to do. The Canadian Forces will train you to perform your role regardless of background, so pick what you are interested in. If you work as an engineer 9-5, 5 days a week, then ask yourself this: is that what you want to do on evenings and weekends as well? If yes, sign up as an engineer. If not, pick something else you like.

For me, my day job is very different from the CF Engineer Officer role. The role of Engineer Officer is very much field-based, whereas my regular job is lab/desk-based. Therefore, personally, I would still sign up as an Engineer Officer.

10. I am a practicing Muslim, which means I pray 5 times a day, fast during the month of Ramadan, and eat strictly Halal foods. How would I manage these while in the CF?

In the Canadian Forces, the needs of the military supersede the individuals' personal choices, and religion is considered a personal choice. However, the military does what it can to accommodate people of different faiths. For prayer during training, for example, you must speak with your instructors before training begins and provide them with a schedule. Then, they will certainly give you a few minutes to pray and return to the classroom/exercise, if possible. For example, one practicing Muslim in my instructor's class was regularly pulled from classroom/training at specific times and given a few minutes to pray. However, this is NOT a guarantee (and sometimes, it may be impossible).

Halal food is available at every base (it typically ends up being the same as vegetarian), so that is not an issue. The Canadian Forces takes nutrition very seriously. Sleep and rest are never guaranteed in the CF, but food and water are.

Fasting is a personal choice. The standards of performance will not be relaxed for an individual who chooses to fast. However, dehydration is a huge concern, especially in outdoor exercises, and will be held against you.

11. For part-time reservists in Toronto, where do the trainings take place?

BMOQ - Fort York or Moss Park, Toronto
BMOQ-L - Meaford, ON
Trades Course - Typically in Gagetown, NB for Infantry and Engineers

12. Will I get the opportunity to learn French?

It is preferred that all officers be bilingual. In the Regular Force, most officers are. As a reservist, you are not required to be bilingual, but if you are interested, you will have the opportunity to learn French.

-----------------

That is all. Hope this helps someone.

As for me, I have to discuss this with my employer and family and make a decision. The next BMOQ starts in October, so I don't have much time to decide.

Comments, clarifications, and suggestions are welcomed.

Online dangerboy

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2015, 13:05:35 »
Just a couple of points

Folks,

I had a phone conversation and then a personal meeting with the recruiter, and got all my original and new questions answered. For the purpose of spreading information, I am posting the answers here. There is certainly a lack of information on the part-time Reserve Officer role online (most information here is geared towards Reg Force), so hopefully this helps others.
7. I am interested in getting parachute training. Can I only do that if I join the Infantry with an Airborne unit (such as the Queen's Own Rifles of Canada)?

There is a difference between being parachute qualified and airborne qualified. Parachute qualification requires that you pass the jump course. Airborne qualification requires you to train as part of an airborne unit (para qualification + other related training). So, the parachute training course can be taken by any soldier, as long as they can qualify through the highly competitive selection process. Other than Infantry, you can find Engineers and even Armoured soldiers with parachute qualifications. However, parachute training does not make you an Airborne qualified soldier. Units that are qualified as Airborne train specifically for that job.

Just some clarifications on wording.  The Queen's Own Rifles is not an Airborne unit, they are an Infantry unit with a jump task.  There are no Airborne units in Canada either Regular Force or Reserve.  Units with the jump task will have a percentage of the unit qualified to jump but not the entire unit.  It may seem like the same thing but it is not.

10. I am a practicing Muslim, which means I pray 5 times a day, fast during the month of Ramadan, and eat strictly Halal foods. How would I manage these while in the CF?

In the Canadian Forces, the needs of the military supersede the individuals' personal choices, and religion is considered a personal choice. However, the military does what it can to accommodate people of different faiths. For prayer during training, for example, you must speak with your instructors before training begins and provide them with a schedule. Then, they will certainly give you a few minutes to pray and return to the classroom/exercise, if possible. For example, one practicing Muslim in my instructor's class was regularly pulled from classroom/training at specific times and given a few minutes to pray. However, this is NOT a guarantee (and sometimes, it may be impossible).

Halal food is available at every base (it typically ends up being the same as vegetarian), so that is not an issue. The Canadian Forces takes nutrition very seriously. Sleep and rest are never guaranteed in the CF, but food and water are.

Fasting is a personal choice. The standards of performance will not be relaxed for an individual who chooses to fast. However, dehydration is a huge concern, especially in outdoor exercises, and will be held against you.

I would look at this thread http://army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,30884.225.html for a more infornmation on meals, as the info you were given my be oversimplified.

11. For part-time reservists in Toronto, where do the trainings take place?

BMOQ - Fort York or Moss Park, Toronto
BMOQ-L - Meaford, ON
Trades Course - Typically in Gagetown, NB for Infantry and Engineers

For Infantry officer trade training DP1.1 it is only ran in Gagetown by the Infantry School

12. Will I get the opportunity to learn French?

It is preferred that all officers be bilingual. In the Regular Force, most officers are. As a reservist, you are not required to be bilingual, but if you are interested, you will have the opportunity to learn French.

On paper you will have the opportunity to learn French, but in reality it is hard for a reserve to attend French training as it comes out of someones budget and most French courses have a limited capacity and it is hard to get on one.
All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us... they can't get away this time.
- Lt Gen Lewis B. Puller, USMC

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2015, 13:06:40 »
8. I would like to know how recruits with full-time jobs typically manage to take the large amounts of time required for training off

To add to the advice from Recruiting, you may also find these discussions of interest,

Reservists Job Protection Superthread 
http://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=2552.0

29 years old, full-time job - want to be a Reserves Officer... 
http://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=101467.0

Reservists + Work 
http://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=107451.25

Offline MarkDownly

• Rate Post
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2015, 21:43:28 »
I plan to join once I'm 16/17 currently 15 and not gonna lie a fair bit out of shape you can email me if you'd like the specifics but lets just leave it at that for now. Anyways I would like to know how to get ready for the exam and everything I will be joining Army cadets this fall but any other out of school advice, diet anything, I would be very thankful for.

[Edit title to reflect OP's questions.]
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 09:12:56 by George Wallace »

Offline Bruce Monkhouse

is still the king of VB.OK, court jester.

• Lab Experiment #13
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • WHERE IS MY BATON?
    • http://www.canadianbands.com./home.html
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2015, 21:57:13 »
Start reading the forums on this site in regards to fitness tips and standards and then apply yourself to it.
Good luck.
IF YOU REALLY ENJOY THIS SITE AND WISH TO CONTINUE,THEN PLEASE WIGGLE UP TO THE BAR AND BUY A SUBSCRIPTION OR SOME SWAG FROM THE MILNET.CA STORE OR IF YOU WISH TO ADVERTISE PLEASE SEND MIKE SOME DETAILS.

Everybody has a game plan until they get punched in the mouth.

Offline MarkDownly

• Rate Post
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2015, 05:04:07 »
Is there any way to increase my chances of making it into a highlander unit, being from Scotland I'd like to do my grandparents proud

Offline Oldgateboatdriver

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2015, 07:10:23 »
Move to Montreal and join the Black Watch;

Move to Toronto and join the Tor Scots;

And if you wanted to join the regular forces then, well you are out of luck. The only "highland" regiment we have is … the RCAF ???

;D

Good luck.

Offline MarkDownly

• Rate Post
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2015, 07:52:15 »
I want to join the forces at 16 as a full time student and I would really like some insight on how that would go as if is there a course at school or at the recruitment center or what just any info and or insight would be nice.

Offline Pusser

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2015, 08:17:56 »
There are actually quite a few highland regiments scattered across the Reserve (Seaforths, Canadian Scottish, two types of Camerons, Cap Breton Highlanders, 48th, etc).  If you want to wear a kilt in the Regular Force the RCR (in addtion to the RCAF) also has a pipe band.
Sure, apes read Nietzsche.  They just don't understand it.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2015, 08:23:03 »
I want to join the forces at 16 as a full time student and I would really like some insight on how that would go as if is there a course at school or at the recruitment center or what just any info and or insight would be nice.

MarkDownly

Welcome to army.ca

When you registered for this site, you were supposed to read the site rules.  As you are computer literate, you should know how to do a SEARCH.  As the military has been around for several millennium, any questions you may have, have likely been asked and answered many times over those millennium. 

Our advice to you now is to READ more and Post less.

http://army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,656.0.html

Topic LOCKED

DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline AbdullahD

• Rate Post
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2016, 22:48:51 »
I am necro posting here, instead of creating a new thread.

I have seen that halal/kosher/vegetarian food, may or will be available in varying degrees at each of the bases and this is not the issue. Nor is the fact I am allowed my beard with certain restrictions. In fact I am more then happy.

My question is, at which point should I inform the recruiting office about my wish to keep a beard and eat halal? (halal, vegetarian and kosher all work for me).

If their are enough Jewish, Vegetarian or Muslims signing up would they arrange to have us do BMQ together? (extremely long shot and not realistic, I know. I also do not expect it) I have talked to the recruiter about keeping a beard and all he said was show up to bmq and claim religious exemption... but I prefer to double check and inquire about eating Halal, Kosher or Vegetarian.

Also I watched the basic up series, very informative and I am aware that I will most likely need to shave my beard even if I have an exemption for the gas chamber training. That also as me wondering if they will request me to be clean shaven for bmq and then I could grow it out after? (That is acceptable to me, because it is legitimate training and they need to know I will follow orders. Also I prefer to know beforehand so I can shave before going if i have to... so I am not as sensitive lol)

Anyone have any insights? Any Rabbi's? Recruiters? BMQ instructors? Or person with correct knowledge?

Thanks guys
Abdullah
Recruting Center: Vancouver
Component: Reg Force
Trade Choice 1: MSEOP
Application Date: 09/22/2016
First Contact: 09/28/2016
Tests:
CFAT- 10/15/2016 Passed
Medical- TBA
Interview- TBA
Position Offered: TBA
Basic Training Begins: TBA
Trade *Correction trade is open, back to getting fit :)*

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2016, 12:04:40 »
I am necro posting here, instead of creating a new thread.

I'm not in recruiting so most of if not all of my response is just guessing.

My question is, at which point should I inform the recruiting office about my wish to keep a beard and eat halal? (halal, vegetarian and kosher all work for me).
You could ask recruiting to note it somewhere on your file that you're Muslim (I'm sure it already is) and you want to eat Halal but I don't think recruiting would care too much or even matter when it comes to what food you want and wearing a beard, that's more for your course staff.

When you show up you'll be asked to identify if you have dietary needs and you can tell them then that you want Halal.
[A point on that. I had a student who requested Halal meals which meant he got specially made meals in the field. When he didn't like what was being served for his Halal meal he just had what everyone else was having. That put him in a really bad spot not only with instructors but students as well.]

As far as a beard goes yes you can request permission to grow/have a beard for religious reasons if you don't show up with one already (consent that is from the CF). You can ask to speak with the padre (not doctor) about getting permission.  I'm just guessing here but showing up with a beard without some kind of approval could start you off on the wrong foot (all extra paperwork does, really).  It wouldn't hurt for you to go to your local cleric priest guy and have him write something up about you being a devout Muslim who wears a beard for religious reasons. That way the CF knows you're serious about it and not doing it on a whim. I'll be honest I think there's a good chance you'll come under more scrutiny being a convert so supporting evidence will help.

If their are enough Jewish, Vegetarian or Muslims signing up would they arrange to have us do BMQ together? (extremely long shot and not realistic, I know.
I can't really see that happening, it really goes against what we're trying to achieve with basic training.

Also I watched the basic up series, very informative and I am aware that I will most likely need to shave my beard even if I have an exemption for the gas chamber training. That also as me wondering if they will request me to be clean shaven for bmq and then I could grow it out after?
Good question. I'm not sure what the current policy is for basic training and CBRN exemptions. I'll try and see what I can dig up.

Alternately I'm not sure how attached you are to your beard (har har) but you could consider showing up shaven and then growing your beard out after CBRN/gas hut training or growing your beard after basic training. That could alleviate some of the issues with having a beard. Growing it after passing basic could be symbolic too? I don't know. 
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline AbdullahD

• Rate Post
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2016, 12:39:52 »
I'm not in recruiting so most of if not all of my response is just guessing.
You could ask recruiting to note it somewhere on your file that you're Muslim (I'm sure it already is) and you want to eat Halal but I don't think recruiting would care too much or even matter when it comes to what food you want and wearing a beard, that's more for your course staff.

When you show up you'll be asked to identify if you have dietary needs and you can tell them then that you want Halal.
[A point on that. I had a student who requested Halal meals which meant he got specially made meals in the field. When he didn't like what was being served for his Halal meal he just had what everyone else was having. That put him in a really bad spot not only with instructors but students as well.]

Ack, Muslims of convenience. They make us look bad, I am fully prepared to eat whatever is available and halal. If I have to go without on some occasions that is fine, I will not however eat food that is impermissible. (I actually reviewed the vegetarian/kosher etc threads on this forum and realize at certain points in my CF career the only halal food could be potatoes and I am okay with that.)

But it sounds like halal food will already be on site and I just need to request it, with no prior warning eh? That is awesome... these poor cooks likely need a pay raise for dealing with us picky fellows. God bless em all.

As far as a beard goes yes you can request permission to grow/have a beard for religious reasons if you don't show up with one already (consent that is from the CF). You can ask to speak with the padre (not doctor) about getting permission.  I'm just guessing here but showing up with a beard without some kind of approval could start you off on the wrong foot (all extra paperwork does, really).  It wouldn't hurt for you to go to your local cleric priest guy and have him write something up about you being a devout Muslim who wears a beard for religious reasons. That way the CF knows you're serious about it and not doing it on a whim. I'll be honest I think there's a good chance you'll come under more scrutiny being a convert so supporting evidence will help.

See being a Muslim convert, eating halal and keeping a beard I fully expect to be under closer scrutiny potentially. My good friend who served many years in the RAF warned me of this and just told me to work my *** off and earn everything I ask for. He basically said if I get to eat halal food made specially for me, get extra prayer breaks etc, I should also offer to take the tough middle of the night fire watches to help team mates out and pull my own weight etc etc.

I will arrange for one of my friends who is an Imam and scholar to write up the note regarding a beard. I just want to avoid showing up and making things harder for staff.. cause an odd feeling that would single me out more. Hence the questions.

I can't really see that happening, it really goes against what we're trying to achieve with basic training.

Exactly as expected, as it should be too I suppose.

Good question. I'm not sure what the current policy is for basic training and CBRN exemptions. I'll try and see what I can dig up.

Thank you

Alternately I'm not sure how attached you are to your beard (har har) but you could consider showing up shaven and then growing your beard out after CBRN/gas hut training or growing your beard after basic training. That could alleviate some of the issues with having a beard. Growing it after passing basic could be symbolic too? I don't know.

I am fairly attached to it ;) I just dont know if showing up clean shaven, would show that I dont really care about my beard.. because I do. If I have to shave though, I will. If they want me to show up clean shaven up until 'xyz' point in training where I will be allowed to re grow it then that is okay too. If I have to be clean shaven for basic that is fine too.

I am just trying to figure out my best course of action. Thanks for a few answers Jarnhamar, I will get that letter as a starting point. That was solid advice.

Abdullah
Tests:
CFAT- 10/15/2016 Passed
Medical- TBA
Interview- TBA

Offline DAA

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2016, 13:37:10 »
You're asking some pretty tough questions but I'll try my best and is probably a repeat of what Jarnhamar has already mentioned.

First off, Food Svcs (ie; Mess Hall/Kitchen) at any location aren't equipped or trained, let alone funded, to be able to provide halal or kosher meals.  So the possibility of being accommodated isn't in your favour.  It has been looked at before but the costs were just too prohibitive and so were the risks.

As far as the beard is concerned, that just might be a choice they allow you to make for yourself.  But be forewarned, the purpose of Basic Military Training, is to teach you to be able to work as a "group/team", not as an "individual" and be able to follow direction.  BMQ/BMOQ and initial occupation training, is not really the time or place to make yourself "stand out" in the crowd.  Every successful applicant to the CAF arrives at Basic Training as an individual but when they leave, they have hopefully gained a sense of team work, belonging and made some life long friends.

If you are successful and do receive an offer of employment, you'll have some difficult decisions to make.   Good luck!    :salute:

PS - Here's some lite reading for you.

http://www.journal.forces.gc.ca/vol15/no1/page34-eng.asp

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/about-policies-standards-defence-admin-orders-directives-5000/5516-3.page
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 13:39:42 by DAA »

Offline AbdullahD

• Rate Post
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2016, 15:32:39 »
You're asking some pretty tough questions but I'll try my best and is probably a repeat of what Jarnhamar has already mentioned.

Sometimes the exact same information, repeated differently helps.

First off, Food Svcs (ie; Mess Hall/Kitchen) at any location aren't equipped or trained, let alone funded, to be able to provide halal or kosher meals.  So the possibility of being accommodated isn't in your favour.  It has been looked at before but the costs were just too prohibitive and so were the risks.

Okay, I understand and respect that. I will make do as I can.

As far as the beard is concerned, that just might be a choice they allow you to make for yourself.  But be forewarned, the purpose of Basic Military Training, is to teach you to be able to work as a "group/team", not as an "individual" and be able to follow direction.  BMQ/BMOQ and initial occupation training, is not really the time or place to make yourself "stand out" in the crowd.  Every successful applicant to the CAF arrives at Basic Training as an individual but when they leave, they have hopefully gained a sense of team work, belonging and made some life long friends.

If I should shave for basic, that is not a tough choice for me I just will. The Canadian forces already allows me to keep one, if it is more realistic to shave for training thats fine. There is an established need, that I have found being the gas mask training. But if I dont have to, then I likely wont, have others gone through basic training with a beard? My neck does bend, I know the CF allows me to keep a beard, but I am not so rigid that I can not adapt.

If you are successful and do receive an offer of employment, you'll have some difficult decisions to make.   Good luck!    :salute:

PS - Here's some lite reading for you.

http://www.journal.forces.gc.ca/vol15/no1/page34-eng.asp

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/about-policies-standards-defence-admin-orders-directives-5000/5516-3.page

Light reading it is, I will have to really read it. From my quick skimming the CF will make 'reasonable' allowances etc..

Any rate, should I fire an email off to the recruiter about this once I have a letter stating it's importance? Should I wait for the interview or BMQ? From what Jarnhamar and you both said, apparently I will be asked my dietary needs at bmq, but if they are not equipped then that is likely to late anyways...

Thinking out loud. The only tough choice for me would be if the CF would not let me have a beard at all and not try at all to offer me food options... but since they do. The rest is easy, it is just about how, get the allowance to have a beard, but shave for bmq and grow it later.. will i be vegetarian and missing a lot of food for a bunch of days or will halal food exist... this is just all small potatoes ;) hell they still need to be silly enough to hire me ;)

Abdullah

Ps my beard is for religious reasons, not medical. So I wonder how much that plays into it regarding bmq too. Since I dont medically 'need' a beard...  ugh, i will read the linked articles then come back to it. Thanks again guys.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 15:42:25 by AbdullahD »
Tests:
CFAT- 10/15/2016 Passed
Medical- TBA
Interview- TBA

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2016, 17:13:20 »
Quote from: AbdullahD
I will not however eat food that is impermissible.
That's my beef (har har I'm on a roll today) with dietary restrictions. It's great until someone lets the section down because they're not taking in enough calories, on top of the convenience thing you mentioned. That's for another time and place though.

But it sounds like halal food will already be on site and I just need to request it, with no prior warning eh? That is awesome... these poor cooks likely need a pay raise for dealing with us picky fellows. God bless em all.

I'm not that up to snuff on the different religious food requirements and terminologies (I may have been confusing with my answer). As the sagely DAA points out the kitchens aren't trained for the hardcore stuff.  I know Muslims and others can request special meals but I think often they're just vegetarian plates without any meat. I didn't mean to imply the meat was Halal.  I think I've came across Halal ration packs but I don't remember if they're Canadian or American sorry.  I might get a steak for supper and you might get a plate of rice or pasta or veggie lasagna. 

See being a Muslim convert, eating halal and keeping a beard I fully expect to be under closer scrutiny potentially.
//
I get to eat halal food made specially for me, get extra prayer breaks etc, I should also offer to take the tough middle of the night fire watches to help team mates out and pull my own weight etc etc.
It's going to be a challenge because people can sit on army.ca and talk about how wonderful it is supporting someones religious requirements and it never bothered them but when it's cold and wet and people haven't slept and you get a steaming plate of special food or get pulled out of the suck 3x a day to pray people won't be so supportive. Chances are you'll feel even worse about it.

I will arrange for one of my friends who is an Imam and scholar to write up the note regarding a beard. I just want to avoid showing up and making things harder for staff.. cause an odd feeling that would single me out more. Hence the questions.
A little bit of effort on your part might make things at BMQ a lot easier and smoother for sure.

I am just trying to figure out my best course of action.
Duty makes all things simple  ;)
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline Tory

• Rate Post
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2016, 15:08:13 »
So...I'm interested in joining the army, but want to make sure I know for sure what I'm getting into. Does anyone have first hand experience? (in other words, been through BCT)
Thanks,
Tory

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2016, 15:18:03 »
I'm interested in joining the army, but want to make sure I know for sure what I'm getting into.

Milnet.ca
Army
http://milnet.ca/forums/index.php/board,117.0.html

Forces.ca
Life in the Army
If you enjoy helping those in need, in times of conflict or natural disasters, in Canada or around the world, a career in the Army may be for you. At home in Canada, and on deployments overseas, you will defend our country’s sovereignty and values with the highest standards of military excellence. Regular or Reserve Force, a career in the Canadian Army is a unique mix of service and skill, camaraderie and commitment, action and adventure.
http://www.forces.ca/en/page/lifeintheforces-75

As always,  Recruiting is your most trusted source of information.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 15:25:09 by mariomike »

Offline Loachman

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2016, 17:01:33 »
"BCT"?

Welcome to Army.ca, Tory.

mariomike kindly provided you with a couple of links to get you started. Explore them, and then branch out into some of the other fora on this Site. The stickied threads at the top of each forum and sub-forum are generally good places to start.

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 17:11:54 by mariomike »

Offline TheMattHan

• Rate Post
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2016, 17:14:49 »
It's American I think "Basic Combat Training" of I remember correctly.
"All right I got the QM open.....pitch forks are ready but....
make sure you clean all the blood off before you turn them in, not like last time." - NFLD sapper

Offline Loachman

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2016, 17:55:35 »
I am familiar with the US term "Brigade Combat Team", but had not seen the Canadian term "Basic Classification Training" before.

Offline Komal

• Rate Post
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2017, 14:01:05 »
Hi! I have also applied for Engineer Officer but through the ROTP program, I am now thinking of accepting my offer, but I just wanted to ask about the engineer officer lifestyle and how often you guys get deployed? I don't want to sign up for a career where i'll never be at home...   :)

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2017, 14:18:18 »
I just wanted to ask about the engineer officer lifestyle and how often you guys get deployed?

On being an Engineer (officer)
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=33020.25
2 pages.

Engineering Officer training/career questions 
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=102989.0

Tuna's questions about a career as an Engineer (Officer)
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=101268.0

I don't want to sign up for a career where i'll never be at home...   :)

How long do I need to be away from home in regular force?
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=91732.0

All things joining the military (but not wanting to deploy) - merged 
http://army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,89177.0/nowap.html
4 pages.

Away from home
https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+engineer+officer&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=C1kTWYegLcGC8Qft343gCQ&gws_rd=ssl#q=site:army.ca+%22away+from+home%22&spf=1494440921675

Deployments
https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+engineer+officer&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=C1kTWYegLcGC8Qft343gCQ&gws_rd=ssl#q=site:army.ca+deployment&spf=1494440921672

etc...

As always,  Recruiting is your most trusted source of information.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 14:32:47 by mariomike »

Online Blackadder1916

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2017, 14:55:36 »
. . .  I don't want to sign up for a career where i'll never be at home...

This, an not uncommon train of thought for contemporary ROTP applicants, I find to be somewhat odd for anyone starting as an officer in the CF.  While you will, if you accept the ROTP offer, be in uniform for several years, it is not a period of servitude.  Look at it in the same way as any other young person who has decided on an educational path because that is what it is at this stage of your life.  For the next four years you will be in university.  You're not going anywhere, other than attending occupational related training in the summer.  Okay, you may be attending a school where you will have to dress the same as every other student, but the country pays you to wear the funny looking student clothes.  You don't have to worry about finding summer employment or student loans.  When you finish your degree you have a guaranteed job that will (especially as an engineer) be directly related to your degree (that first job is important to padding the resume).  You'll probably have one or two other distinctively different and progressively more responsible jobs in the short (5 years?) time that is payback for your education.  Again great for the resume.  By the time one has discharged his service obligation, the typical ROTP type will be 26 or 27 years old.  At that age, nobody is so established in a "career" that they can't easily move into a different direction.

Now, if your thought is that you want to have all the benefits of a subsidized education but don't want to deploy so are looking for an occupation that stays at home, then find someone else to pay for your schooling.
Whisky for the gentlemen that like it. And for the gentlemen that don't like it - Whisky.

Offline Mahir0901

• Rate Post
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2017, 15:25:24 »
How many infantry soldiers get accepted to the CAF every year?

Offline Infant_Tree

Training very hard.

• Rate Post
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2017, 22:22:07 »
Are you going in as NCM or Officer?
Recruiting center: Toronto
Regular/Reserve: Regular
Officer/NCM: NCM
Trade Choice 1: Infantry
Application Date: January 12, 2017
First contact: January 12, 2017
CFAT: February 8, 2017
Medical: March 2, 2017
Interview: March 7, 2017
Merit listed: Sometime between April 11 and April 27, 2017
Position Offer: May 30, 2017
Enrollment: August 23, 2017
BMQ: September 4, 2017

Offline Kat Stevens

beth am dyrnu braf yn y gwddf?

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • that's how we roll in redneck land
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2017, 00:19:51 »

All of them.
Apparently, a "USUAL SUSPECT"

“In peace there's nothing so becomes a man as modest stillness and humility; but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger; stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with hard-favor'd rage.”

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats

Offline Mahir0901

• Rate Post
« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2017, 06:46:39 »
I'm going as an NCM

Offline Buck_HRA

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
    • CAF - Find a Recruiter
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2017, 11:30:55 »

All of them.

BAHAHAHAHA ... love it Kat Stevens!!

On a serious note, there is no exact number of Infantry that the CAF recruits on a yearly basis.  The number changes year to year; sometimes it's because the Government increases the size of the military - other times it's due to individuals who are in the trade either changing to another trade or retiring from the CAF.

Offline Louis_Army

• Rate Post
Is Joining the Army worth it for me?
« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2017, 22:26:29 »
I've been considering joining the army for a long time and I would like to know what my best options are.

I currently live in Montreal with no significant work experience, activities, and no University degree. Completed my C-GEP in Sciences years ago.
I recently started training my body since I wasn't exactly in shape (never been fat or even skinny fat tho) but I'm kinda physically clumsy by design.

It recently came to my understanding that there was a possibility of being an intelligence operator. I'm drawn to it because I have a good verbal intelligence, analytical skills, fascinated by world events, about geography, history and other languages. I'm bilingual.
But what are the chances to get hired there considering my predicament?

And aside from that orientation, is there something for me in the army?

Offline shane306

• Rate Post
Re: Is Joining the Army worth it for me?
« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2017, 22:40:19 »
First of all the process is not a quick yes or no thing. You shouldnt even worry about chances, you have nothing to lose by applying, just apply and see what happens and if 6 months down the road you happen to get an offer you can always turn it down if you decide you no longer want it. Theres nothing inherently wrong with your predicament, many NCMs dont have university degrees or work experience when they apply, there are many factors taken into account for applicants including stuff still directly in your control: your CFAT test and your interview.

The chance of failure or not being accepted is not a good enough reason to not even attempt it.

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #47 on: June 17, 2017, 22:44:29 »
It recently came to my understanding that there was a possibility of being an intelligence operator. I'm drawn to it because I have a good verbal intelligence, analytical skills, fascinated by world events, about geography, history and other languages. I'm bilingual.
But what are the chances to get hired there considering my predicament?

In case you have read it already, you may find this discussion of interest,

"I want to be Int" Mega-thread 
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=12858.200
16 pages.

Offline Louis_Army

• Rate Post
« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2017, 22:48:30 »
Yes that's the thread that convinced me to make this one.

Aside from intelligence operators, which in my understanding is hard to get into, what other paths would be available, and what are the promotions/career advancement down the line for someone starting 'low'?

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #49 on: June 17, 2017, 22:55:07 »
Aside from intelligence operators, which in my understanding is hard to get into, what other paths would be available, and what are the promotions/career advancement down the line for someone starting 'low'?

Career Options
http://www.forces.ca/en/page/careeroptions-123

As always, Recruiting is your most trusted source of information.

Offline Louis_Army

• Rate Post
« Reply #50 on: June 17, 2017, 23:01:33 »
Yes but from experience, which one of these is easy to get in, opens up career paths and can be intellectually stimulating?

Offline Loachman

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2017, 23:10:39 »
That depends upon you. Everybody is different - different interests, experiences, abilities, strengths, and weaknesses.

Anything easy is not worth doing, and you should be seeking challenges rather than something "easy".

Read through older threads here. That will give you much better insight.

Offline Louis_Army

• Rate Post
« Reply #52 on: June 17, 2017, 23:21:41 »
Yeah I'm skimming through them. I'm not looking for anything easy. I'm looking for something I have good chances of getting in on the spot.

Aside from what I described, I'm expecting the possibility of a career that has good and realistic promotion potential, through experience and competence. Not just being stuck in the same occupation for the same wage my entire career.

I know next to nothing about the army, but say, where can an infantry private head too on the long term, without going back to college? Or a naval communicator?

Offline Loachman

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2017, 00:58:52 »
No two careers are alike. There are many variables. Promotion will depend largely on your efforts and abilities. The CF is quite supportive of those who seek to improve their education as well.

As for "getting in on the spot", I'm not  sure how you define that, but the occupation that you select will depend upon the positions available, your interests, your CFAT score, and your overall competitiveness.

Keep reading...

Offline Louis_Army

• Rate Post
« Reply #54 on: June 18, 2017, 01:09:53 »
I'm not sure how to define on the spot. I mean being guaranteed a place as long as I proceed normally through the process and show a reasonable understanding of what I'm getting into with a strong motivation to serve my country.

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #55 on: June 18, 2017, 07:31:35 »
where can an infantry private head too on the long term, without going back to college?

Infantry Soldiers who demonstrate the required ability, dedication and potential are selected for opportunities for career progression, promotion and advanced training, including Paratrooper training.
https://www.canada.ca/en/department-national-defence/services/caf-jobs/career-options/fields-work/combat-specialists/infantry-soldier.html

Or a naval communicator?
Opportunities for career progression, promotion and advanced training are available for those who demonstrate ability and potential.
https://www.canada.ca/content/canadasite/en/department-national-defence/services/caf-jobs/career-options/fields-work/telecommunications/naval-communicator.html

I mean being guaranteed a place as long as I proceed normally through the process and show a reasonable understanding of what I'm getting into with a strong motivation to serve my country.

TIMINGS - ESTIMATED TIMES FOR_______________ 
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=81054.0

Application Process Samples 
http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,13064.0.html
213 pages.

Online Good2Golf

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Dammit! I lost my sand-wedge on that last jump!
« Reply #56 on: June 18, 2017, 08:40:36 »
Louis, for what it is worth, consider that ANY career in the military will bring with it a fair bit of uncertainty, whether that is caused by the military's own internal characteristics, or from the environment within which the military will operate.  So, if it is certainty that you are looking for, then you have to decide: "is an organization that has to deal on a regular basis with volatility, uncertainty, complexity and ambiguity in Canada and around the world, the kind of organization you want to be a part of?"  It sounds like you need to ask yourself if you are okay with that now and years into the future, because you will most certainly find life in the CAF to be anything but deliberate, certain, planned, dependable, etc.   There are probably few here serving or having served, who had their careers unfold precisely as they initially though, back when they recruited into the CF/CAF.  It probably isn't a stretch to say that every one of us had a fair bit of uncertainty throughout our careers.  Are you okay with that?

Regards
G2G

Offline Loachman

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #57 on: June 18, 2017, 10:24:32 »
There are no guarantees in any career.

There are no guarantees in any aspect of life.

Except, of course, the traditional two.

Offline Buck_HRA

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
    • CAF - Find a Recruiter
« Reply #58 on: June 20, 2017, 10:15:23 »
I'm not sure how to define on the spot. I mean being guaranteed a place as long as I proceed normally through the process and show a reasonable understanding of what I'm getting into with a strong motivation to serve my country.
Please note that there is no guarantee to being selected for any occupation just by proceeding normally through the process.  The CAF gets over 40,000 applications a year and depending on the year, but on average only 5,000-6,000 of those applications are selected to receive an offer of employment. 

While there are many of us on here who have spent many years in uniform, some even as recruiters - I would strongly encourage you to (1) take time to browse the occupations on the CAF website: and (2) visit your local CFRC to discuss the trades that you find interesting.