Author Topic: Civilians allowed to own CG634 legally?  (Read 7034 times)

Offline Meetreez

• Rate Post
Civilians allowed to own CG634 legally?
« on: July 07, 2014, 10:49:33 »
Question in the title. Need to know, was given one back in '98 and never really thought of it until now.

Offline ham_sandwich27

• Rate Post
Re: Civilians allowed to own CG634 legally?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 21:43:22 »
Short answer - no. You can never own one legally as it's always government property (now stolen govenrment property). Same goes for just about everything else a soldier wears (save for next to skin items and boots).

Offline LunchMeat

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 23:54:45 »
As far as I know, the CG634 is a controlled item and either has to be declared surplus or destroyed when it reaches the end of service (damage, defect, etc.)
"The most important six inches on the battlefield is between your ears.” ~General James "Mad Dog" Mattis, USMC

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 07:45:53 »
As far as I know, the CG634 is a controlled item and either has to be declared surplus or destroyed when it reaches the end of service (damage, defect, etc.)

That would make sense to me.  CTAT would cover this. 

It is against the law for a private citizen to own a bullet proof vest/body armour in some provinces of Canada, and if that is correct, the CG634 would fall into the same category.

Here is the Alberta legislation:  https://www.solgps.alberta.ca/programs_and_services/public_security/BACAct/Pages/default.aspx

BC and Manitoba have similar legislations with hefty fines for those who are caught owning body armour illegally.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 12:36:21 »
At least my SCA armour is safe - until some other ban-nut has a tryst with the Good Idea Fairy.

Apparently, those with firearms licences are also exempt.

Are old steel military helmets exempt, or not? Helmets are not mentioned and, in fact, the whole thing seems a little vague to me.

One wonders if there have been any legal challenges, yet.

This is stupid legislation, anyway, and harms only the law-abiding. Just make it illegal to be a criminal, regardless of what items one has in one's possession.

Offline LunchMeat

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 11:24:06 »
At least my SCA armour is safe - until some other ban-nut has a tryst with the Good Idea Fairy.

Apparently, those with firearms licences are also exempt.

Are old steel military helmets exempt, or not? Helmets are not mentioned and, in fact, the whole thing seems a little vague to me.

One wonders if there have been any legal challenges, yet.

This is stupid legislation, anyway, and harms only the law-abiding. Just make it illegal to be a criminal, regardless of what items one has in one's possession.

It is ridiculous.
"The most important six inches on the battlefield is between your ears.” ~General James "Mad Dog" Mattis, USMC

Offline Meetreez

• Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 16:37:09 »
You just gotta love the police state that we live in...

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 20:40:08 »
You just gotta love the police state that we live in...
   ::)   You've never actually seen a police state, have you?

Offline Meetreez

• Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 21:53:38 »
Erm.... I was using it as a figure of speech, friend. You know, exaggeration...

Edit: Just saw my MilPoints deduction... Dress up? What a joke, have you not heard of collecting? You need to get your knickers untwisted, buddy.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 21:56:49 by Meetreez »

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -5620.

• "Some people will only like you if you fit inside their box. Don't be afraid to shove that box up their ass."
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2014, 22:05:41 »
No one took at as a figure of speech. You wrote and it came across as a statement.

I'll also suggest you go read the site guidelines and get on board. If not, you'll soon be leaving, either by your choice or ours.

The matter is closed. Go read and follow the guidelines. Also read the section on MILPOINTS. It's how things are done around here.

---Staff---
Corruption in politics doesn't scare me.
What scares me is how comfortable people are doing nothing about it.

Offline Meetreez

• Rate Post
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2014, 07:35:30 »
Fair enough, maybe I should have put a winky face.