Author Topic: Canadian or US Army Wool Blanket?  (Read 21486 times)

Offline 171292

• Super Trooper
  • Rate Post
  • Super Trooper
Canadian or US Army Wool Blanket?
« on: December 19, 2013, 06:56:33 »
Hey, just wondering if anyone here has ever used one of these blankets:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/CANADIAN-ARMY-BLANKET-WOOL-EXCELLENT-CONDITION-17K-NT-/281225461741?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item417a57ffed&_uhb=1

If so, how good are they, and how do they compare to the US army ones?  I know these are smaller in size than their US counterparts (Canadian ones are 70" x 55" while the US ones are 84" x 66") but are they worth the higher price as the Canadian ones cost approx $50 shipping included, while I can get a US army wool blanket for approx. $30 shippping included.  Thanks!
It's not the bullet with your name on it, but the one addressed "To Whom it May Concern", that you must worry about.

Offline 171292

• Super Trooper
  • Rate Post
  • Super Trooper
Re: Canadian or US Army Wool Blanket?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 10:03:01 »
And in case anyone is wondering, I would be mostly using it for camping and hiking.  Weight for me isn't an issue, and I figure a wool blanket could also have it's uses around the house for our cold Canadian winters!
It's not the bullet with your name on it, but the one addressed "To Whom it May Concern", that you must worry about.

Offline dangerboy

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 10:25:28 »
If you are using it for camping and around the house, I would look at something else.  Look at a fleece blanket you will find them more comfortable, a lot of people find the wool blankets real itchy.
All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us... they can't get away this time.
- Lt Gen Lewis B. Puller, USMC

Offline Chief Engineer

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 10:28:42 »
Hey, just wondering if anyone here has ever used one of these blankets:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/CANADIAN-ARMY-BLANKET-WOOL-EXCELLENT-CONDITION-17K-NT-/281225461741?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item417a57ffed&_uhb=1

If so, how good are they, and how do they compare to the US army ones?  I know these are smaller in size than their US counterparts (Canadian ones are 70" x 55" while the US ones are 84" x 66") but are they worth the higher price as the Canadian ones cost approx $50 shipping included, while I can get a US army wool blanket for approx. $30 shippping included.  Thanks!

Wow 30 bucks for a fire blanket! Used them for years on the ship and kept me warm enough, in fact the current one I have on my rack was manufactured in 1952!
"When your draught exceeds your depth, you are most assuredly aground"

All opinions stated are not official policy of the CF and of a private individual

كافر

Offline Terminal

• Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 11:10:38 »
Definitely look to a actual camping shop for a modern thermal blanket. It will be cheaper, lighter, slimmer and more effective than a wool blanket.

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -6945.

• "Some people will only like you if you fit inside their box. Don't be afraid to shove that box up their ass."
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 11:30:53 »
Wool will keep you warm, even when wet.
Corruption in politics doesn't scare me.
What scares me is how comfortable people are doing nothing about it.

Offline 171292

• Super Trooper
  • Rate Post
  • Super Trooper
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2013, 13:57:04 »
As well, for me anyways, itchiness (if that's even a word) isn't really a factor because the blanket is most likely going to spend most of it's time on my bed inbetween sheets.  And for wanting a wool blanket, wool blankets are getting more and more expensive, while becooming all the more harder to find in good condition and something like this would also feature as a collector's item in a few years.  But if anyone here has any opinions on these Canadian blankets vs the US army ones, any input would be appreciated!

Offline Lightguns

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I live for trout and deer
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2013, 19:25:28 »
Lovely piece of kit. Carry one canoeing. They make great sleeping bags, shelters and even pouch is. They will repel a certain amount water on the move and insulate even when wet. They have become hard to find after the bush rafter movement took off.
Done, 34 years, 43 days complete, got's me damn pension!

Offline 171292

• Super Trooper
  • Rate Post
  • Super Trooper
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2013, 19:46:48 »
So I guess these blankets are a love them or hate them type deal, correct?  Thanks for all the replies guys, but my initial question still hasn't been answered...  One of these blankets or one of the US army-type blankets?  And, to re-iterate my point, I'm looking for a wool blanket, not a fleece blanket or synthetic/ cotton blanket...  a wool blanket!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 19:53:37 by 171292 »

Offline Lightguns

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I live for trout and deer
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2013, 21:00:59 »
Ours they are thicker.
Done, 34 years, 43 days complete, got's me damn pension!

Offline 171292

• Super Trooper
  • Rate Post
  • Super Trooper
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2013, 21:09:06 »
Ours they are thicker.

Thanks for your input!  But does thicker = better?  Like, are the Canadian ones higher quality, softer, or are they just thicker?

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2013, 21:11:32 »
I would think the R value would be greater.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline cupper

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Nuke 'em 'til they glow, then wait until dark.
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2013, 22:07:15 »
Yes, thicker = better. George is correct, higher R Value therefore warmer.

And to answer your first question, I suspect all current and former members on this site have encountered those blankets many times during their career. And you could probably assume that some of us may have actually used that very blanket.
It's hard to win an argument against a smart person, it's damned near impossible against a stupid person.

There is no God, and life is just a myth.

"He who drinks, sleeps. He who sleeps, does not sin. He who does not sin, is holy. Therefore he who drinks, is holy."

Let's Go CAPS!

Offline 171292

• Super Trooper
  • Rate Post
  • Super Trooper
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2013, 22:38:42 »
Yes, thicker = better. George is correct, higher R Value therefore warmer.

And to answer your first question, I suspect all current and former members on this site have encountered those blankets many times during their career. And you could probably assume that some of us may have actually used that very blanket.

Thanks!  I assumed that most people here had experience with these blankets, just I was wondering if there was anyone here who had experience with both this blanket AND the US Army one for comparison purposes.  Appreciate the input, I guess I'll be putting an order in soon for one!

Offline devil39

• Rate Post
  • Emergency Management and Ex-Army Guy
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2013, 01:14:20 »
Thanks!  I assumed that most people here had experience with these blankets, just I was wondering if there was anyone here who had experience with both this blanket AND the US Army one for comparison purposes.  Appreciate the input, I guess I'll be putting an order in soon for one!

I worked with a hard core old Reg Fc Warrant Officer in the early 1990s when i was RSS.  When i went to the field with "Ranger Blankets"  and Goretex  he went to the field with CF Wool blanket bedrolls.  He never complained, always warm when wet and he felt it was worth the weight.... I still thought i was smarter than him :)

Offline 171292

• Super Trooper
  • Rate Post
  • Super Trooper
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2013, 08:51:37 »
I worked with a hard core old Reg Fc Warrant Officer in the early 1990s when i was RSS.  When i went to the field with "Ranger Blankets"  and Goretex  he went to the field with CF Wool blanket bedrolls.  He never complained, always warm when wet and he felt it was worth the weight.... I still thought i was smarter than him :)

Yeah, I have a poncho liner, Italian army sleep system, and US Gore-tex bivy, but was just looking for something a bit more traditional for camping and related activities.  And damn, that IS one hardcore WO!

Offline Towards_the_gap

• 'Just tell your wife, that she owes your life, to a muddy old engineer'
  • Rate Post
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2013, 23:04:57 »
Wool will keep you warm, even when wet.

Wool also keeps you wet, even in the warm.

Offline Get Nautical

• Rate Post
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2014, 06:25:39 »
Can't go wrong with history, Wool is an ancient fabric.

Offline 171292

• Super Trooper
  • Rate Post
  • Super Trooper
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2014, 17:58:08 »
Well, the blanket just arrived in the mail yesterday, and I have to say, it is a very well built piece of kit.  Definitely thicker and heavier than the US ones (local surplus store had them in stock), which could be a pro or a con, depends on how you look at it...

Offline Target Up

........pull, patch, and score.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • that's how we roll in redneck land
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2014, 19:22:10 »
Can't go wrong with history, Wool is an ancient fabric.

So is felt, get yourself some authentic Cossack boots and get back to me after a 10 kit bag drag...  ;D
Apparently, a "USUAL SUSPECT"

“In peace there's nothing so becomes a man as modest stillness and humility; but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger; stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with hard-favor'd rage.”

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats