Author Topic: The WTF News Files  (Read 405518 times)

Offline kkwd

• Rate Post
Re: The WTF News Files
« Reply #850 on: August 13, 2019, 15:09:39 »
This guy who shall be known as Mr. TV  Head doesn't quite come up to the standard of Mr. Canoe Head.

https://6abc.com/man-wearing-tv-on-head-caught-on-camera-leaving-old-tvs-on-porches/5462579/
I like beer.

Offline FJAG

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ex Gladio Justicia
    • Google Sites Wolf Riedel
« Reply #851 on: August 18, 2019, 17:37:31 »
How about start firing people instead.

The investigation into the VE-day debacle has now hit the press.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/veterans-affairs-vetting-ve-day-nazis-video-1.5245363

Is there anyone else concerned about the fact that the video had properly gone through the review process at several managerial levels and not one of those dullards could recognize a German Army uniform?

"Staff deeply regret the error"  There is one quote in the article that raises more questions:

... By May 10, the investigation had zeroed in on where things went sideways.

"Just found out the footage in question was of German prisoners of war captured by Canadians. Taken from a Canadian Army newsreel," Embury wrote his colleagues. "I like the initiative, but without context..."

To put it politely those were images of very well armed Germans marching into combat. They may eventually have become someones prisoners but ...

If these people know that little about this subject field and are this sloppy should they really be working at VAC at all? Sometimes apologies just aren't good enough. Whatever happened to ministers firing bad staff and resigning over their department's incompetence?

:brickwall:
Illegitimi non carborundum
Semper debeatis percutis ictu primo
Access my "Allies" and "Mark Winters, CID" book series at:
https://sites.google.com/view/wolfriedel
Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/WolfRiedelAuthor/

Offline Joshua666

• Rate Post
« Reply #852 on: August 27, 2019, 08:03:27 »
Some of the news we read really falls under one category: The WTF News

Can anyone say anything else after reading this:

LINK

Reproduced under the Fair Dealings provisions of the Copyright Act.
Bizzare !

Offline dapaterson

Mostly Harmless.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #853 on: September 07, 2019, 18:15:09 »
To be fair, as soon as I read "Oklahoma" I figured it would be something like this.

Oklahoma man driving stolen vehicle caught with rattlesnake, uranium, whiskey and firearm: Police

https://abcnews.go.com/US/oklahoma-man-driving-stolen-vehicle-caught-rattlesnake-uranium/story?id=64265490&fbclid=IwAR26qOLOozccOlfvZHq6iYlQTG1LGPucEmUzM5-3Xgx9esCF4fSD16YgbcI
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #854 on: October 02, 2019, 17:45:55 »
Classic Air Canada

Irish woman forced to sit in her own urine for 7 hours after flight crew refused to let her use toilet
https://www.irishpost.com/news/irish-woman-forced-sit-urine-7-hours-flight-crew-refused-let-use-toilet-171914
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline Weinie

• Rate Post
« Reply #855 on: October 02, 2019, 22:27:24 »
"That’s when the crew member named John

"Oh the Irony"
"The Bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives."
- Admiral William Daniel Leahy (advising President Truman on the U.S. atom bomb project, 1945)

Offline 211RadOp

• Rate Post
  • Now is the tyme....damn missed again....Now is the
« Reply #856 on: October 08, 2019, 11:39:47 »
First there was the Tide Pod Challenge, now the Fire Challenge.

Michigan boy suffers second-degree burns in 'fire challenge'
Taylor Romine and Evan Simko-Bednarski, CNN
Published Tuesday, October 8, 2019 10:25AM EDT 

A 12-year-old Michigan boy is recovering from second-degree burns after being set ablaze in what is being described as a social media challenge.

Tabitha Cleary of Dearborn Heights, Michigan, told a reporter for CNN affiliate WDIV that her son, Jason Cleary, suffered second-degree burns to his chin, chest and stomach after he was set on fire at a friend's house.

"I just want everybody to know that these challenges, or whatever they're watching on YouTube, is not worth your risking your life," Cleary said. "My son got burned second degree, and it could have been way worse."

Her son's injuries are thought to be due to the "fire challenge" in which children pour a flammable liquid like rubbing alcohol on themselves, and then ignite it. Videos of such attempts have been making their way around YouTube for several years.

Cleary told WDIV that she heard her son screaming outside, after his friend brought him to their door on his bicycle.

"And I immediately started to freak out, 'Take him to the hospital, take him to the hospital!'" she said. "I'm starting to cry, he's crying."

Jason told WDIV that his burns came from the second fire of the day, sparked by nail polish remover.

"The first time it was like, a little tiny fire. Then they swatted it off," he said, "The second time it engulfed, and they kept spraying it on me."

His parents rushed him to the hospital.

A spokesperson for Children's Hospital of Michigan would not confirm the boy's treatment to CNN Monday, citing hospital policy to not comment on pediatric patients.

Dearborn Heights police confirmed that they are investigating the matter, but would not comment further.

"Because of the ages of the individuals involved, I am unable to provide any details other than we will be coordinating with child protective services to assure the safety of all persons involved," Captain Mark Meyers told CNN.

Tabitha Cleary did not immediately respond to CNN's request for further comment.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/michigan-boy-suffers-second-degree-burns-in-fire-challenge-1.4629033
“Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes." Jim Carrey
"Do unto others, then run." Benny Hill
"There's no better feeling in the world than a warm pizza box on your lap." Kevin James

Offline BeyondTheNow

Commencing countdown, engines on.

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #857 on: October 17, 2019, 17:57:02 »
Ew. That is all.

Blood floods a family's basement and we could not be more horrified

Halloween horror came early for one Iowa family when their basement flooded with five inches of animal blood.

According to WHO Channel 13 News, the flood happened after a meat locker next to the family's home discarded animal blood, fat, and bones down a floor drain that likely connects to the Lestina family's pipe system, although an investigation is ongoing...

More at link:

https://mashable.com/article/blood-basement-flood-iowa/
“I’m so sick of people thinking they can just waltz into my office when I’m obviously listening to music in 4/4.”

Offline FJAG

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ex Gladio Justicia
    • Google Sites Wolf Riedel
« Reply #858 on: October 17, 2019, 19:32:33 »
Ew. That is all.

Blood floods a family's basement and we could not be more horrified

More at link:

https://mashable.com/article/blood-basement-flood-iowa/

Reminds me of a case I had several decades ago about a defective chiller unit at a hog processing plant. We went for a site visit and were given a hard hat and a raincoat like slicker and were asked if we wanted rubber boots too. I chose the boots. As we wandered through the kill floor we were walking through several inches of blood and offal. Made me wonder why the boots had been optional?

:facepalm:
Illegitimi non carborundum
Semper debeatis percutis ictu primo
Access my "Allies" and "Mark Winters, CID" book series at:
https://sites.google.com/view/wolfriedel
Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/WolfRiedelAuthor/

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #859 on: October 17, 2019, 20:13:22 »
I chose the boots. As we wandered through the kill floor we were walking through several inches of blood and offal. Made me wonder why the boots had been optional?

:facepalm:

We ALWAYS wore our boots when they sent us into the Stockyards.

Finally moved it from The Junction up to Cookstown in the mid-1990's and replaced the slaughterhouses with a shopping centre. 

Offline 211RadOp

• Rate Post
« Reply #860 on: November 04, 2019, 09:32:30 »
Man has sex with pile of leaves in alcohol, drug-induced episode

Aidan Wallace Aidan Wallace

Published on: October 31, 2019 | Last Updated: October 31, 2019 6:42 PM EDT

You have to wonder what this guy was thinking.

Michael Golsorkhi, 26, is serving eight weeks in a U.K. jail after he drunkenly attempted to have sex with a pile of leaves in the parking lot of a hotel in the town of Stockport, southeast of Manchester, Daily Mail reported.

Families dining in the Beefeater pub next door had a clear sightline of Golsorskhi’s bare behind as he thrust himself into the leaves.

Hotel staff confronted the 26-year-old who pulled up his underwear and escaped into nearby bushes, where he hid for 10 minutes before the police showed up and asked him to come out.

“We saw a white male with his trousers down and we could see his bum. There was nothing between me and this male, he was about a car length away from me and he appeared to be having sex,” an unnamed staff member at the hotel said in a statement.

The statement claimed the staff member shouted at Golsorkhi: “What are you doing, you dirty *******.”

The staff member claimed he had never seen Golsorkhi, adding, “I was concerned for the hotel guests, there were children staying at the hotel.”

Golhorskhi achieved his impaired state through a combination of alcohol and drugs ranging from cocaine and cannabis, defence lawyer Neville Warburton said.
“He (Golhorski) has no recollection of the behaviour described,” Warburton said, adding, “He cannot explain his behaviour. He is entirely embarrassed about that.”

In his sentencing, the judge ordered Golhorski to pay a $200 fine on top of serving time in jail, and told him to “go out and seek help.”

https://www.thewhig.com/news/world/man-has-sex-with-pile-of-leaves-in-alcohol-drug-induced-episode/wcm/7a231473-d351-4ca5-acaa-7770cb951832

"There's no better feeling in the world than a warm pizza box on your lap." Kevin James

Offline 211RadOp

• Rate Post
« Reply #861 on: November 22, 2019, 13:10:52 »
Only in Toronto  :not-again:

Woman running late for train called 911 asking for 'emergency ride service'

Kayla Goodfield Multi-Platform Writer, CTV News Toronto

Published Thursday, November 21, 2019 10:55AM EST  Last Updated Thursday, November 21, 2019 1:44PM EST

TORONTO -- Police in Ontario are reminding the public to avoid dialing 911 to report non-emergency situations after a woman called to ask if she could get an “emergency ride service” to the train she was running late for.

“Being late for a trip is never ideal,” officers with Peel Regional Police wrote in a tweet on Thursday morning. “Calling 911 to ask the police to act as an ‘emergency’ ride service, to get you there on time? Yeah… not gonna happen.”

The conversation, which was posted in full in the tweet, started with the 911 operator asking if the caller needed assistance from police, fire or an ambulance.

The caller then responded saying, “This is in terms of an officer… I’m supposed to have a trip to Union Station. The ride was supposed to show up for me this morning did not and I don’t know how you guys work with services in terms of that because I’m in a taxi right now but it’s not going to get me to the station on time for my train to board at 9:45 a.m.”

The conversation then went as follows:

Operator: OK, I’m sorry so you’re in a taxi cab and you think you’re going to be late for your train ride at Union Station?

Caller: Yeah.

Operator: So what would you like an officer to do?

Caller: Do you guys offer emergency ride services or not?

Operator: An emergency ride service?

Caller: Yeah. I don’t know how you guys operate.

Operator: Well I can assure you we don’t do that.

Caller: My apologies.

Operator: You can call a cab or get in the cab and go to your appointment. OK?

Caller: OK. Thank you.

Operator: You’re welcome. Bye bye.

Peel Regional Police then wrote: “Only dial 911 if someone’s health, safety or property is in immediate danger or if there is a crime in progress." They also urged callers to dial 905-453-3311 for non-emergency situations.

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/woman-running-late-for-train-called-911-asking-for-emergency-ride-service-1.4696003

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #862 on: November 22, 2019, 14:41:45 »
Only in Toronto  :not-again:

I was only familiar with 9-1-1 operations in Toronto. The city Paramedic department alone processes over 400,000 9-1-1 calls per year.
Add to that figure, the call volumes of the city Police and Fire departments.

From the Tweet, it appears this caller was actually in Peel Region. ( Part of the GTA. )

I am sure Call Receivers across Canada and the US answer some weird calls.

I know ours did.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 19:25:53 by mariomike »

Offline CBH99

• Rate Post
« Reply #863 on: November 23, 2019, 00:12:10 »
LOL    Honestly how does someone NOT know what 911 does?   At least he was a polite buffoon.     
Fortune Favours the Bold...and the Smart.

Wouldn't it be nice to have some Boondock Saints kicking around?

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #864 on: November 23, 2019, 09:04:08 »
Sounded like a lady's voice. And yes, she was polite.

I remember when 9-1-1 was introduced in Metro, and looked up the exact date,

"On Monday, March 22, 1982, at about 0430 hours, a new emergency telephone number for Metropolitan Toronto came into being."

Prior to that, Metro Police had one seven-digit number, Metro Ambulance had another, and the six fire departments each had a number of their own.

Later when cell phones became common, callers no longer had to find a telephone booth. Multiple callers were suddenly reporting the same incident.

Those two things led to a tremendous spike in call volume.