Author Topic: Ukraine - Superthread  (Read 938426 times)

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
Re: Ukraine - Superthread
« Reply #2175 on: December 18, 2018, 12:11:05 »
Create border incidents, Russia responds with force, turns off gas in the winter to Europe, Russian troops move into pre-defined areas and hunker down in defense, all while the West struggles to deal with the political side and UN declarations.

Online milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
« Reply #2176 on: December 24, 2018, 06:50:46 »
Glass is 1/2 empty - maybe ...
Russia continues to build up and prepare its military forces for possible offensive operations against Ukraine from the Crimean Peninsula and the east. The Institute for the Study of War (ISW) has been warning that Russia could conduct such operations at short notice since December 11, 2018. It remains impossible to assess whether Russian President Vladimir Putin has decided to launch an offensive or will do so, or whether the visible military preparations are intended to pressure Ukraine and its partners without escalating to additional open conflict. The data suggests that Putin is preparing to attack, although alternative interpretations are possible ...
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Online milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2177 on: December 28, 2018, 10:58:49 »
Martial law's over (for now, at least), Russia's building its wall against Ukraine in Crimea (with fan-boy media saying it's the wild west on the Ukrainian side*), another Christmas ceasefire coming, and a Russian volunteer gets a posthumous medal from the pro-Russian rebels*.

* - Original links to pro-Russian sites, so this link is to an archive.org version of the article to avoid any nasties coming down the wire to your computer.

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Online milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2178 on: December 30, 2018, 08:33:50 »
In the words of a Putin parody account on Twitter, "Propaganda 101: Accuse your enemy of that which you are guilty" ...

3 Dec 2018:  "(Pro-RUS rebel) DPR intelligence: Ukrainian offensive will begin with chemical attack and provocations" (in Russian) *

Fast forward to ...

13 Dec 2018:  "DPR says Ukraine amassed chemicals at central Mariupol factory"*
13 Dec 2018:  "DPR urges UN, OSCE, ICRC to prevent chemical attack in Mariupol"*
19 Dec 2018:  "Is the U.S Planning a Chemical Weapons False Flag in the Donbass?"*

19 Dec 2018:  "Russian mass media spread fake about allegedly prepared chemical attack in Donbas" (UKR media)

Fast forward to ...

29 Dec 2018:  "Ukraine has seen evidence of Russia preparing chemical weapons in Donbas" (Defence Blog)

29 Dec 2018:  "Russia is Preparing to Employ Chemical Weapons in the Occupied Territory of Donbas" (UKR MoD Defence Intelligence site, in English)

* - Original links to pro-Russian sites, so this link is to an archive.org version of the article to avoid any nasties coming down the wire to your computer.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 09:36:52 by milnews.ca »

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline 211RadOp

• Rate Post
  • Now is the tyme....damn missed again....Now is the
« Reply #2179 on: January 24, 2019, 08:56:49 »
Ukrainian court finds ex-president guilty of treason

The Associated Press
Published Thursday, January 24, 2019 7:23AM EST 

MINSK, Belarus -- A court in the Ukrainian capital Kyiv on Thursday found former President Viktor Yanukovych guilty of treason and helping Russia annex the Crimean peninsula.

The Kyiv court began reading out the verdict in Yanukovych's case, a process that is expected to take at least the whole day. The judge already declared Yanukovych guilty of treason and premeditated actions to alter the country's borders, and will rule later on the other charges.

Earlier in the trial, Yanukovych testified via video link from Moscow. His lawyer has said that the former president would not be able to follow the verdict because he is in hospital after sustaining injuries on a Moscow tennis court in November.

Prosecutors have asked the court to sentence Yanukovych to 15 years in prison.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/ukrainian-court-finds-ex-president-guilty-of-treason-1.4266978
“Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes." Jim Carrey
"Do unto others, then run." Benny Hill
"There's no better feeling in the world than a warm pizza box on your lap." Kevin James

Online milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2180 on: February 21, 2019, 13:24:37 »
Speaking of treason ...
The Ukrainian Prosecutor General's Office (PGO) has announced opening a criminal case under "high treason" in connection with damaging the military defense capability of the country as a result of actions taken by former officials at Ukraine's Defense Ministry, Member of Parliament (Petro Poroshenko Bloc) Ivan Vinnyk has said.

'There was a discussion about whether the actions of previous ministers of defense did not contain elements of a crime that qualifies under Article 111 (high treason). From the letter that the National Security and Defense Committee (NSDC) received from the PGO, we learned that the case is being pursued under Part 1 of Article 111 (high treason)," Vinnyk said at a meeting of the parliament's temporary investigative commission he heads to study information about the facts about plundering Ukraine's Armed Forces and undermining Defense Ministry capabilities during 2004-2017.

Prosecutor General Yuriy Lutsenko on February 4, 2019, at a meeting of the commission said actions of the chiefs of the General Staff of Ukraine's Armed Forces and defense ministers from 1991 to 2017 contributed to a decrease in the country's defense capability and could be qualified as acts of treason.
... and the latest on peacekeepers:

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Online milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2181 on: February 21, 2019, 14:49:13 »
BTW, "happy" anniversary Crimea ... (source)

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Online milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2182 on: April 01, 2019, 15:01:28 »
First round of UKR pres elections appear to be headed for a second round run-off, with the incumbent trailing in initial results behind a comedian who played an accidental president on TV

Canadian & other election observers are calling the election fair & "competitive".

Meanwhile, HMCS Toronto is parked in Odessa for a few days.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline MilEME09

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2183 on: April 09, 2019, 19:28:12 »
Oh look what got spotted by the OSCE. Pretty sure the rebels didnt just find modern jamming kit laying around.
"We are called a Battalion, Authorized to be company strength, parade as a platoon, Operating as a section"

Online milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2184 on: April 09, 2019, 19:43:41 »
Oh look what got spotted by the OSCE. Pretty sure the rebels didnt just find modern jamming kit laying around.
Ukrainian Radio Shack clearance sale? ;)

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline FJAG

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ex Gladio Justicia
    • Google Sites Wolf Riedel
« Reply #2185 on: June 19, 2019, 16:01:00 »
Three Russians and one Ukrainian to face MH17 murder charges
Four named as first to be charged over death of 298 people on flight downed over Ukraine

Luke Harding Wed 19 Jun 2019 15.17 BST First published on Wed 19 Jun 2019 12.26 BST

Four suspects will face murder charges for the shooting down of Malaysia Airlines flight MH17, three of them Russians, international investigators have said, with a trial due to start next March in the Netherlands.

Almost five years after the plane was downed over eastern Ukraine, killing all 298 people onboard, prosecutors said on Wednesday there was enough evidence to bring criminal charges.

The suspects were named as Igor Girkin, a former colonel of Russia’s FSB spy service; Sergey Dubinskiy, employed by Russia’s GRU military intelligence agency; and Oleg Pulatov, a former soldier with the GRU’s special forces spetsnaz unit. All were Russian soldiers previously sent abroad.

A fourth suspect, Leonid Kharchenko, is a Ukrainian. He led a military combat unit in the city of Donetsk as a commander, it was alleged.

Girkin was minister of defence in the Moscow-backed Donetsk People’s Republic (DNR). He was the commander of the DNR when the plane was shot down on 17 July 2014. Dubinskiy served as Girkin’s deputy in the DNR, and Pulatov was Dubinskiy’s deputy. Kharchenko was under their command.

Investigators said the soldiers “formed a chain linking the DNR with the Russian Federation”. This link was how the separatists obtained heavy equipment from Russia including the Buk launcher, which was used to fire at MH17 with “terrible consequences”.

The accused did not “push the button” themselves but were responsible for bringing the anti-aircraft system to eastern Ukraine, it was alleged. They could therefore be held criminally liable for the murders of 298 people, investigators said, adding that international arrest warrants had been issued.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jun/19/mh17-criminal-charges-ukraine-russia

:cheers:
Illegitimi non carborundum
Semper debeatis percutis ictu primo
Access my "Allies" and "Mark Winters, CID" book series at:
https://sites.google.com/view/wolfriedel
Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/WolfRiedelAuthor/

Offline Retired AF Guy

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2186 on: June 19, 2019, 17:39:35 »
     Three Russians and one Ukrainian to face MH17 murder charges
    Four named as first to be charged over death of 298 people on flight downed over Ukraine

Luke Harding Wed 19 Jun 2019 15.17 BST First published on Wed 19 Jun 2019 12.26 BST

Four suspects will face murder charges for the shooting down of Malaysia Airlines flight MH17, three of them Russians, international investigators have said, with a trial due to start next March in the Netherlands.

Almost five years after the plane was downed over eastern Ukraine, killing all 298 people onboard, prosecutors said on Wednesday there was enough evidence to bring criminal charges.

The suspects were named as Igor Girkin, a former colonel of Russia’s FSB spy service; Sergey Dubinskiy, employed by Russia’s GRU military intelligence agency; and Oleg Pulatov, a former soldier with the GRU’s special forces spetsnaz unit. All were Russian soldiers previously sent abroad.

A fourth suspect, Leonid Kharchenko, is a Ukrainian. He led a military combat unit in the city of Donetsk as a commander, it was alleged.

Girkin was minister of defence in the Moscow-backed Donetsk People’s Republic (DNR). He was the commander of the DNR when the plane was shot down on 17 July 2014. Dubinskiy served as Girkin’s deputy in the DNR, and Pulatov was Dubinskiy’s deputy. Kharchenko was under their command.

Investigators said the soldiers “formed a chain linking the DNR with the Russian Federation”. This link was how the separatists obtained heavy equipment from Russia including the Buk launcher, which was used to fire at MH17 with “terrible consequences”.

The accused did not “push the button” themselves but were responsible for bringing the anti-aircraft system to eastern Ukraine, it was alleged. They could therefore be held criminally liable for the murders of 298 people, investigators said, adding that international arrest warrants had been issued.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jun/19/mh17-criminal-charges-ukraine-russia

Bellingcat has a long and detailed article (89 pages) about the downing of the airliner and the people involved in its destruction:

Identifying the Separatists Linked to the Downing of MH17
"Leave one wolf alive, and the sheep are never safe."

Arya Stark

Online milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2187 on: June 19, 2019, 21:38:56 »
Stand by for chaff-like counter-narratives -- this from a Twitter cynic ...

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline FJAG

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ex Gladio Justicia
    • Google Sites Wolf Riedel
« Reply #2188 on: August 18, 2019, 10:47:25 »
An interesting article/video on open source analysis of Russian participation in Ukrainian conflict.

New evidence emerges of Russian role in Ukraine conflict
Research group Forensic Architecture collected images to use in ECHR case

Newly collated evidence documenting Russian military involvement in the conflict in Ukraine will be used to bolster legal claims against the Russian state by Ukrainian volunteer fighters.

Forensic Architecture, a London-based research group, has collected and catalogued evidence of Russian military involvement in the battle of Ilovaysk in August 2014, including the presence of a model of tank used only by the Russian armed forces at that time.

The evidence will be appended to a case to be ruled on by the European court of human rights (ECHR) and will be released on a publicly viewable online platform on Monday.

The evidence includes numerous satellite images of Russian armed convoys inside Ukraine and multiple sightings of the T-72B3 tank, a new model which at the time of the battle was operated only by the Russian armed forces.

See rest of article and video here:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/aug/18/new-video-evidence-of-russian-tanks-in-ukraine-european-court-human-rights

Illegitimi non carborundum
Semper debeatis percutis ictu primo
Access my "Allies" and "Mark Winters, CID" book series at:
https://sites.google.com/view/wolfriedel
Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/WolfRiedelAuthor/