Author Topic: Purple trade recruiting  (Read 3929 times)

Offline JayH

• Rate Post
Purple trade recruiting
« on: September 08, 2012, 12:36:40 »
This might be a silly question but...

When you apply for Comms Research, a purple trade, you apply for the trade as a whole, all elements, and not a specific element of CR, ie Naval CR, Army CR, etc?

I applied for Comms Rsch as my top choice, and two naval trades as my second and third choices. I believe I listed naval as my element at some point in the process, because of the bottom two, however that doesn't make sense for the first choice.

Should I be worried that I will only be considered for Naval Comms Rsch? (if such a thing exists - no indication it does!)

Offline delavan

• Rate Post
Re: Purple trade recruiting
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 14:43:44 »
All in all, it doesn't matter if you chose whatever element.
If they'll make you an offer for a particular trade and you accept it, well, you'll get the dress that comes with it.
In some trades (purple mostly), there is a ratio of people to be assigned to the different elements...

aesop081

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 14:49:22 »

Should I be worried that I will only be considered for Naval Comms Rsch?

No, you are being considered for Comm Rsch. The uniform that they offer you may or may not be RCN. That was only your preference.

(if such a thing exists - no indication it does!)

Yeah, it does. My last posting i replaced a Comm rsch that was a Navy PO1 and i have some comm rsch that were Navy DEU working with/for me. 2 of my former section members (both comm rsch) were deployed on ship.

Offline Hatchet Man

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 14:56:09 »

When you apply for Comms Research, a purple trade, you apply for the trade as a whole, all elements, and not a specific element of CR, ie Naval CR, Army CR, etc?

I applied for Comms Rsch as my top choice, and two naval trades as my second and third choices. I believe I listed naval as my element at some point in the process, because of the bottom two, however that doesn't make sense for the first choice.

Should I be worried that I will only be considered for Naval Comms Rsch? (if such a thing exists - no indication it does!)

If you are picking a purple trade you can indicate which element is your preference, doesn't mean you will get it though.

Offline JayH

• Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 16:28:30 »
Just before doing the medical, the registration sheet asked for an element. I left it blank b/c Comms Rsch is purple, they asked me to clarify, and I think they checked Naval on my behalf after I explained it. It's been a while, my memory is hazy.

There is a thread on CR explaining that the uniform and the deployment don't necessarily match, ie Naval uniform posted with the army, that's fine, my only concern was that I inadvertently listed myself as ONLY willing to do naval postings, and thereby limited the spots I am a candidate for.

If I'm considered for all elements of CR, then great  :camo:

Thanks for the clarification

Offline New1234

• Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 16:30:25 »

My trade is also considered a purple trade. I chose my element but all are not as lucky. Although some of us have different DEU's, we all do the same training and all do the same job. You can be Navy and still be posted to an Army base and vice versa. Air Force element does additional Air Force training but otherwise it's all the same across the board.

Offline sailorprivateer

• Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2017, 20:17:50 »
I know this is a 5-year old thread but I just want to ask people who are familiar with purple trade. I don't want to create a thread either.

I got an offer for Comm Rsch in the Navy and AFAIK I will not be doing BMQ-L but instead a Naval Environmental Training. My question is: if all goes right, I pass BMQ and then naval training, what's next? Farewell Esquimalt or Halifax? OR do I get to do another naval training here and there in either those places as my career progresses in the service? I just find it weird to not getting in touch with Navy after naval training.

Recruiting Centre: Hamilton
Regular/Reserve: Regular
Officer/NCM: NCM
Trade Choice 1: Communicator Research Operator
Applied: June 12th, 2016
First Contact: June 15th, 2016
CFAT: July 8th, 2016 [PASSED]
Medical: July 27th, 2016 [PASSED]
Interview: July 27th, 2016 [PASSED]
Merit List: n/a
Position Offered: February 14th, 2017
Enrolment/Swearing-In: March 16, 2017
BMQ: March 27th, 2017

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2017, 20:53:28 »
I just want to ask people who are familiar with purple trade. I don't want to create a thread either.

No need to. There already is a Purple Trade mega-thread,

For reference, perhaps,

Purple trade recruiting

will be merged into,

Purple Trades: Definition & Trg Discussion 
http://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=22558.250
11 pages.

I got an offer for Comm Rsch in the Navy

I believe you are familiar with this discussion,

Comm Research
http://milnet.ca/forums/index.php/topic,78481.msg1473475.html#msg1473475
11 pages.

1. What are the chances of going to Kingston for training after BMQ-L? Should I expect to be PAT platoon before I get to training?
2. I read the MOSID for CommsRsch, why does it start at Cpl? So I need to get promoted to Cpl to be fully-trained?
3. Is it true that you either get posted to Kingston or Ottawa for this trade or you can be a CommsRsrch at CFB Wainright?
4. According to trade's MOSID, this is a rotating shift. I have never been on this type of shift, so how did you guys got used to it?
5. As described by my recruiter, is this trade really like James Bond? Or more like Claire Danes on Homeland without the bipolar?

So when you're all fully-trained and got the clearance, you're likely to be up for promotion by then, if I got it right?
I assume that you have never worked in CFS Leitrim? I was reading on other threads here that new CommsRsch members are sent there.

I don't mind it wherever I get posted if I were to get offered for the job. But it feels like Ottawa is more expensive when it comes to renting a basement or a studio apartment compared to Kingston. Plus, a single person in his 2nd or 3rd year in the service would barely be able to afford living there, IMO.

Communications research operator navy?
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=115109.0

See also,
https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+purple&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=cfmoWIitMuOM8QfvkpCIAQ&gws_rd=ssl#q=site:army.ca+comm+rsch

As always,  Recruiting is your most trusted source of information.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 23:13:02 by mariomike »
Get on the bus. Take a ride with us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2lSGnPl-ww