Author Topic: Who Does More Infantry Work? Artillery or Armoured  (Read 58347 times)

Offline Tango2Bravo

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • All your base are belong to us.
Re: more infantry work. Artillery or Armored
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2011, 21:19:38 »

Yes.  ;D Which of the two are most in common with the Infantry.

Armoured reconnaissance has some similarity to Infantry. You won't generally be assaulting trenches, but dismounted patrolling and observation posts are certainly part of your field duties. You'll be expected to be able to handle a variety of small arms and be proficient at fieldcraft. You are expected to be in contact with the enemy (although not necessarily shooting at him depending on the situation/theatre).
Well-trained, older Panzer crews are the decisive factor for success...It is preferable to start off with fewer Panzers than to set out with young crews who lack combat experience.

- Verbal report of Gen Balck 1943

Offline GnyHwy

• is a pragmatic optimist.
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • GO GUNS!!!
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2011, 19:52:52 »
Specifically, dealing with personal weapons, tactics, survival training, all those Infantry things.

You will do all of those things in either the Arty our Armd.  Not to the level or extent of the Infantry but, very close if you are Armd recce or in an Arty FOO party.  You will get survival training as you would in any cbt arms unit.

Speaking from being in the Arty in regards to weapons.  The Arty has mostly the same weapons as the Infantry plus a few bigger ones also.  As well, when you are at the Jnr NCO level it is in your best interest to specialize in certain weapons.  Every Arty unit will have a handful of guys at the Jnr level that are very good with MGs, antitank wpns and also navigation (likely having the recce patrolman course).  Further, airborne and air mobile Arty is coming back as well.

In closing,  I have known lots of guys who have practiced much more Infantry stuff than Arty stuff all the while being in the Arty.  Myself included, although several years ago.

P.S.
However, you can also console yourself by remembering there are two types of people: gunners; and targets.

Nice 1 OS. 

Offline MCG

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2011, 21:00:41 »
Which of the two are most in common with the Infantry.
Have you thought about any other occupations?  You will find Sigs & Medics out on foot with the infantry quite often, and combat engineers are the only group with a doctrinally stated secondary role to act as infantry. 

Offline Bzzliteyr

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Re: more infantry work. Artillery or Armored
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2011, 09:12:25 »
I'm only a lonely 12RBC guy but I am sure it's "RCD" and not RCDs...

Dragoonss.. ? The apostrophe doesn't belong there (as seen on page 1) and neither does the s.

As for the original question, I can confirm that on my last exercise we foot patrolled (albeit in a much smaller capacity), we dug and occupied an OP trench, and we practiced mounted tactics.  In Afghanistan we did dismounted foot patrols (albeit smaller sized ones), we occupied built up OPs and did overwatch, and we practiced mounted tactics.

To sum things up on the armoured recce side of the house, there are some infantry similar things.  I will not even pretend to know what field artillery does.

Bzz
Adsum

UNPROFOR, CPSM, Canadian Forces Commander Land Force Command Commendation (Bosnia 1993), Canadian Decoration, General Campaign Star - ISAF

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
Re: Re: Re: more infantry work. Artillery or Armored
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2011, 09:17:18 »
I have a lispppppppp.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • This is my son Michael, KIA Afghanistan 3 Sep 08
Re: Re: Re: more infantry work. Artillery or Armored
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2011, 12:31:26 »
Freedom Isn't Free   "Never Shall I Fail My Brothers"

“Do everything that is necessary and nothing that is not".