Author Topic: Logistic Vehicle Modernization Project - Replacing everything from LUVW to SHLVW  (Read 394278 times)

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
I can point you in the right direction.... for a modest consideration.

Sure.... as long as you use a laser pointer :)
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Online Chris Pook

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Wha daur say Mass in ma lug!
Sure.... as long as you use a laser pointer :)

10 foot pole not good enough?
"Wyrd bið ful aræd"

"If change isn’t allowed to be a process, it becomes an event." - Penny Mordaunt 10/10/2019

“Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards” ~ Soren Kierkegaard

Online MilEME09

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Israeli company plasan has come out with a new light armoured ambulance as part of its sandcat family. Never heard of NGVA till now, I am assuming it's some new attempt at standardizing aspects of NATO vehicle families. Perhaps a contender to replace the LSVW.

https://www.armyrecognition.com/weapons_defence_industry_military_technology_uk/plasan_adds_ambulance_variant_to_its_sandcat_4x4_armored_vehicle_family.html
"We are called a Battalion, Authorized to be company strength, parade as a platoon, Operating as a section"

Offline CTD

• Rate Post
While I'm not an automotive expert of any sort  I suspect my Provincial Highway Department is  or at least was.
Here in Manitoba a group of provincial mechanics  got their hands on a LSVW for a couple of hours and examined it .To  put it mildly they were not impressed .
The story goes that they produced a four page list of defects that had to be fixed before they would even think , think of allowing it on any road in the province. Assuming of course that it was a civilian vehicle .
I would love to read that report.

Offline Blackadder1916

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
. . . Never heard of NGVA till now, I am assuming it's some new attempt at standardizing aspects of NATO vehicle families. Perhaps a contender to replace the LSVW.

https://www.natogva.org/

NATO GENERIC VEHICLE ARCHITECTURE

NGVA is a NATO Standardisation Agreement  (STANAG 4754) based on open standards to design and integrate multiple electronic sub-systems onto military vehicles which are controllable from a multifunction crew display and control unit.
Whisky for the gentlemen that like it. And for the gentlemen that don't like it - Whisky.

Online Colin P

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
While I'm not an automotive expert of any sort  I suspect my Provincial Highway Department is  or at least was.
Here in Manitoba a group of provincial mechanics  got their hands on a LSVW for a couple of hours and examined it .To  put it mildly they were not impressed .
The story goes that they produced a four page list of defects that had to be fixed before they would even think , think of allowing it on any road in the province. Assuming of course that it was a civilian vehicle .

Hmm you mean the same experts that allow modern cars onto the roads with turn signals that can't be seen by other drivers in the daylight, cars that can do double the speed limit and have no rearward visibility?

Online MilEME09

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Thales Canada took this past winter to do winter trails of their Hawkei around Ottawa and Pet apparently. Thales says they will be offering the Hawkei for both the LUV and LFE projects, the LUV will go to tender late spring of this year. Can honestly say it looks better then a G-wagon or a Milverado.

https://canadianarmytoday.com/a-cold-weather-test/?fbclid=IwAR3Yux3Eq79fS61zpPV5EeP5sEGBQza4Y9Hu_xAG5f4miaL2IuZtBVD_Kh0
"We are called a Battalion, Authorized to be company strength, parade as a platoon, Operating as a section"

Offline LoboCanada

• Rate Post
Thales Canada took this past winter to do winter trails of their Hawkei around Ottawa and Pet apparently. Thales says they will be offering the Hawkei for both the LUV and LFE projects, the LUV will go to tender late spring of this year. Can honestly say it looks better then a G-wagon or a Milverado.

https://canadianarmytoday.com/a-cold-weather-test/?fbclid=IwAR3Yux3Eq79fS61zpPV5EeP5sEGBQza4Y9Hu_xAG5f4miaL2IuZtBVD_Kh0

Just heard of this project, 2500 vehicles is a lot. Makes for an interesting read. What's the timeline for this project?

Hopefully we don't pay what the Australians did...

Coalition suppressed auditor's finding that $1.3bn Thales arms deal could have cost half with US
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2018/oct/22/coalition-suppressed-auditors-finding-that-13bn-thales-arms-deal-could-have-cost-half-with-us

Bendigo Hawkei build schedule under threat from delays, reliability issues
https://www.bendigoadvertiser.com.au/story/6547893/hawkei-roll-out-threatened-by-delays-reliability-issues/

Online PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
Just heard of this project, 2500 vehicles is a lot. Makes for an interesting read. What's the timeline for this project?

Well we needed the vehicles 10 years ago, so we'll get them 10 years from now.

Online MilEME09

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post

Hopefully we don't pay what the Australians did...

Coalition suppressed auditor's finding that $1.3bn Thales arms deal could have cost half with US
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2018/oct/22/coalition-suppressed-auditors-finding-that-13bn-thales-arms-deal-could-have-cost-half-with-us

Bendigo Hawkei build schedule under threat from delays, reliability issues

Well that's what we normally pay anyway! Seriously though with issues like that, likely another company will win, be interesting to see who else bids.

Online Colin P

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
Have them licence built here with minimal Canadization so we can get parts later when the plant shuts down.

Offline RDBZ

• Rate Post
Well that's what we normally pay anyway! Seriously though with issues like that, likely another company will win, be interesting to see who else bids.

The program has moved on from the development phase.  The first LRIP vehicles were recently delivered to the ADF in April this year.  Thales bought out Steyr so the latter's financial troubles are now irrelevant in terms of supply of engines.

Online MilEME09

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
End of an Era, today 1 CMBG announced on Facebook they are beginning the divestment of the remaining MLVW's from service.

Offline Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • This is my son Michael, KIA Afghanistan 3 Sep 08
Well we needed the vehicles 10 years ago, so we'll get them 10 years from now.

Optimist. :tsktsk:
Freedom Isn't Free   "Never Shall I Fail My Brothers"

“Do everything that is necessary and nothing that is not".

Online MJP

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
End of an Era, today 1 CMBG announced on Facebook they are beginning the divestment of the remaining MLVW's from service.

Watched a running ML towbar a non running ML to the divestment area.

Hope is not a valid COA

Online MilEME09

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
This morning CAF announced via social media the intention via draft RFP to replace our light and heavy logistics fleets. Good bye LSVW......eventually

https://www.tpsgc-pwgsc.gc.ca/app-acq/amd-dp/pdmdvl-lvmp-eng.html?fbclid=IwAR1DporjqDLZaxPlS03r68MmjXrF-ySWHrG9t91BijDbhOQTtEAKHES4n8g
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 11:06:51 by MilEME09 »

Online PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
Its a draft RFP, not even the real RFP. I'll be a CWO or long retired before the LSVW gets replaced.

Online Colin P

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
This morning CAF announced via social media the intention via draft RFP to replace our light and heavy logistics fleets. Good bye LSVW......eventually

https://www.tpsgc-pwgsc.gc.ca/app-acq/amd-dp/pdmdvl-lvmp-eng.html?fbclid=IwAR1DporjqDLZaxPlS03r68MmjXrF-ySWHrG9t91BijDbhOQTtEAKHES4n8g
From the link:
As a result of the Invitation to Qualify (ITQ) process, Canada established a list of qualified suppliers who have demonstrated the technical ability to develop and propose solutions for the project.

Daimler AG
General Dynamics Land Systems – Canada Corporation and General Dynamics Land Systems, Incorporated
Iveco Defence Vehicles S.p.A.
Mack Defense LLC (with ARQUUS)
Navistar Defense LLC
Oshkosh Defense Canada Incorporated and Oshkosh Defense, LLC
Rheinmetall Canada Inc. and Rheinmetall MAN Military Vehicles GmbH
Only these suppliers will be invited to participate in the next phases of engagement to review and refine the procurement requirements and to submit bids in response to the RFP.

Offline CBH99

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
The project to replace the MSVW is complete, right??  Trucks delivered.

This is for LUVW specifically? 
Fortune Favours the Bold...and the Smart.

Wouldn't it be nice to have some Boondock Saints kicking around?

Online MilEME09

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
The project to replace the MSVW is complete, right??  Trucks delivered.

This is for LUVW specifically?

logistics fleet, so LSVW, HLVW and engineering equipment is my understanding.

Replacement of the LUVW both milcot and G wagon are a separate project.

Online suffolkowner

• Rate Post
logistics fleet, so LSVW, HLVW and engineering equipment is my understanding.

Replacement of the LUVW both milcot and G wagon are a separate project.

So the LSVW and HLVW will be from the same manufacturer? Wikipedia has the LSVW at 1333 of the original 2879 and the HLVW at 591 of the original 1212, I wonder what the replacement numbers will be?

Online MilEME09

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
So the LSVW and HLVW will be from the same manufacturer? Wikipedia has the LSVW at 1333 of the original 2879 and the HLVW at 591 of the original 1212, I wonder what the replacement numbers will be?

Hopefully several thousand of each, logistics fleets you can't always do more with less, because you can't be in two places at once. And on a DP you can't have multiple stores in one vehicle. Ammo, food, POL, salvage, etc.. all has to have its own truck. Plus you need all the varients as well, plus trailers.

Online suffolkowner

• Rate Post
Hopefully several thousand of each, logistics fleets you can't always do more with less, because you can't be in two places at once. And on a DP you can't have multiple stores in one vehicle. Ammo, food, POL, salvage, etc.. all has to have its own truck. Plus you need all the varients as well, plus trailers.

What do you think the difference is between the HLVW replacement and the MSVS-SMP will be? The MSVS-SMP is already an 8x8, correct? So what can you do go 10x10 or duals?

Online MilEME09

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
What do you think the difference is between the HLVW replacement and the MSVS-SMP will be? The MSVS-SMP is already an 8x8, correct? So what can you do go 10x10 or duals?

Its not about wheels, its tonnage and capacity, given the upsizing of vehicles the HL replacement will likely be in the 12 to 16 ton range. Likely with a crane and a large cargo capacity.

Online suffolkowner

• Rate Post
Its not about wheels, its tonnage and capacity, given the upsizing of vehicles the HL replacement will likely be in the 12 to 16 ton range. Likely with a crane and a large cargo capacity.

But how do you get the capacity without adding another axle or wheels?