Author Topic: Transgender in the CF (merged)  (Read 142450 times)

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
Re: Transgender in the CF (merged)
« Reply #450 on: April 04, 2019, 22:13:43 »
If you can without giving away secrets, what kind of sources did the trainers use to back that up?  I can hardly say I'm widely read, but this is the first time I've encountered that concept.
 :nod:

The same info was passed on, more than once, in briefings I attended before each IMPACT ROTO.  The information was given from the guest instructors from K-town.  I don't recall the sources, if they were given, being questioned....given the nature of the briefing and the SMEs it was taken at face value as credible.

I know someone said "I don't care what the host nation laws are"; from experience, that opinion may change if you're in a place like the Middle East, moving around between locations on the ground and your senses and surroundings (including host nation citizens) let you know that you're "not in Kansas anymore".   :2c:   
Everything happens for a reason.

Sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions.

Offline DetectiveMcNulty

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #451 on: April 04, 2019, 22:18:28 »
moving around between locations on the ground

And that would be your first mistake...  ;D

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
« Reply #452 on: April 05, 2019, 08:09:29 »
The same info was passed on, more than once, in briefings I attended before each IMPACT ROTO ...
That gives me a bit of geographical context.  I took the stat as being global, not local.  Thanks for that.
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Strike

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Welcome to the Dead Parrot's Society.
« Reply #453 on: April 05, 2019, 08:55:40 »

...There is nothing in either regime that is used solely in trans therapy (though as soon as I post this, someone actually educated in the subject will probably come by and correct my premise).  While there may be gaps in the quality of medical care in some of these countries, especially in terms of womens' health, it would surprise me if the necessary drugs to maintain a transgender soldier were not available in most countries with a reasonable health system, even those that would be opposed to the existence of said individuals.  There is nothing labelled "Taboo - Medicine only for Transgendered Patients" that all those foreign customs officials are scanning manifests in search of.

I think you hit it there. A woman who has had a hysterectomy or a man who has had prostate cancer may both be on hormones of some level, maybe for the rest of their lives.  But barring any other issues, they'd still be able to deploy.
Stop assuming I'm a man!

Don't know how long I want to keep playing this game...

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #454 on: April 05, 2019, 20:25:05 »
And that would be your first mistake...  ;D

...I didn't get a vote on those ones though...I did mention "hey we've got a serviceable aircraft eh"...

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #455 on: April 05, 2019, 20:27:43 »
I think you hit it there. A woman who has had a hysterectomy or a man who has had prostate cancer may both be on hormones of some level, maybe for the rest of their lives.  But barring any other issues, they'd still be able to deploy.

I went away with a guy who had to have shots every week on the deployment...it was all arranged, made it's way to the desert and he didn't miss a mission.  Stuff had to be temp controlled and some other stuff;  it wasn't the ideal situation but it worked.

Offline Xylric

• Rate Post
« Reply #456 on: April 05, 2019, 22:45:24 »
The way I see the subject, human beings are easily abstracted as "meat suits piloted by unique electro-chemical patterns", and as such it's far more effective to look at things from a meritocratic perspective. With the company that I run, for example, the plurality of its staff have some form of neurological divergence - and speaking as a member of that company's board, we honestly have no idea at the full extent of such things, because we only learn as people are willing to disclose. As an example, due to our existence as an entirely digital office, I don't even know the ethnicity of most of the staff. Like sexual identity and orientation, it's completely irrelevant to the skill set and knowledge base a person may possess.

If one can do the job with distinction, without putting one's self or others at undue risk, what other concerns matter?

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #457 on: April 06, 2019, 00:50:31 »
I went away with a guy who had to have shots every week on the deployment...it was all arranged, made it's way to the desert and he didn't miss a mission.  Stuff had to be temp controlled and some other stuff;  it wasn't the ideal situation but it worked.
Theres obviously huge difference in jobs. Expecting the same accommodation for an infantry soldier in a PSS in Afghanistan is probably not going to happen.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #458 on: April 06, 2019, 13:32:17 »
Theres obviously huge difference in jobs. Expecting the same accommodation for an infantry soldier in a PSS in Afghanistan is probably not going to happen.

Nope, not likely.  It will work for some, not for others.  Sailing might also be a challenge.

But, being that we probably have as many AVN Techs in the CAF (reg force) as we do infanteers, it might work for a large majority of folks who have jobs 'inside the wire' or, atleast, are back inside the wire when the sun sets.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 18:53:13 by Eye In The Sky »

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #459 on: April 06, 2019, 22:24:40 »
Nope, not likely.  It will work for some, not for others.  Sailing might also be a challenge.

But, being that we probably have as many AVN Techs in the CAF (reg force) as we do infanteers, it might work for a large majority of folks who have jobs 'inside the wire' or, atleast, are back inside the wire when the sun sets.

Yep, concur. I think the lesson here is that the CAF is going to do its absolute best to accommodate, but there are going to be bona fide operational requirements where its not possible, so a transgendered member (or member with medical limitations) is not going to be able to deploy to location X or be a member of trade Y.

Offline Blackadder1916

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #460 on: April 07, 2019, 20:25:00 »
Yep, concur. I think the lesson here is that the CAF is going to do its absolute best to accommodate, but there are going to be bona fide operational requirements where its not possible, so a transgendered member (or member with medical limitations) is not going to be able to deploy to location X or be a member of trade Y.

Maybe my impression is wrong, but I get the sense that some believe that a transgendered individual would have so many MELs that it is the norm that they would (or should) be undeployable.  What unique medical (as opposed to adm, social and employment) accommodations do you imagine are required?  Are you thinking that they need mandatory intensive medical surveillance?  While it may be true during the early stages of transition once that is completed, it seems (according to what I've reviewed) that a standard monitoring regime of every 6 months or even every 12 months is adequate.  Seeing a primary care physician once every year and having some blood work done is no more onerous than that of aircrew, women or those over a certain age.  Maybe the need to take medication on a regular basis?  Yes they do, but so do a lot of other people who deploy, some for rather routine things (like birth control or other gynecological issues) or prophylaxis (malaria).  Depending on the medication regime selected for the individual there may be a requirement for weekly injections but that doesn't necessarily mean the individual has to attend a medical facility on those occasions.  Even if the trans person is hesitant to inject themselves, the CF deploys medical elements in support of missions at a much greater capability than in the days of yore when I first deployed operationally.  And since it was mentioned previously that "sailing" might be a problem, that would likely be no problem since warships have integral medical spaces and staff.
Whisky for the gentlemen that like it. And for the gentlemen that don't like it - Whisky.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #461 on: April 07, 2019, 20:47:41 »
And since it was mentioned previously that "sailing" might be a problem, that would likely be no problem since warships have integral medical spaces and staff.

That was me.  I believe CPFs have PAs, but not MOs?  I'm not sure how the medical side of this topic functions, but I am sure grateful to people who are contributing in an educational sense - I for appreciate it.

On the sailing side, if medical is not a hurtle, would port visits potentially be?  I don't know what ports are usual visits, what countries believe this topic is a legal one vice a social one.

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #462 on: April 07, 2019, 21:40:09 »
Maybe my impression is wrong, but I get the sense that some believe that a transgendered individual would have so many MELs that it is the norm that they would (or should) be undeployable.  What unique medical (as opposed to adm, social and employment) accommodations do you imagine are required?  Are you thinking that they need mandatory intensive medical surveillance?  While it may be true during the early stages of transition once that is completed, it seems (according to what I've reviewed) that a standard monitoring regime of every 6 months or even every 12 months is adequate.  Seeing a primary care physician once every year and having some blood work done is no more onerous than that of aircrew, women or those over a certain age.  Maybe the need to take medication on a regular basis?  Yes they do, but so do a lot of other people who deploy, some for rather routine things (like birth control or other gynecological issues) or prophylaxis (malaria).  Depending on the medication regime selected for the individual there may be a requirement for weekly injections but that doesn't necessarily mean the individual has to attend a medical facility on those occasions.  Even if the trans person is hesitant to inject themselves, the CF deploys medical elements in support of missions at a much greater capability than in the days of yore when I first deployed operationally.  And since it was mentioned previously that "sailing" might be a problem, that would likely be no problem since warships have integral medical spaces and staff.

I won't speak for EITS, but I know I was only speaking to the specifics of daily/weekly drug injections that might not be possible in austere environments (especially if something needs refrigeration).

Offline Lumber

• Donor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #463 on: April 08, 2019, 07:26:54 »
That was me.  I believe CPFs have PAs, but not MOs?  I'm not sure how the medical side of this topic functions, but I am sure grateful to people who are contributing in an educational sense - I for appreciate it.

On the sailing side, if medical is not a hurtle, would port visits potentially be?  I don't know what ports are usual visits, what countries believe this topic is a legal one vice a social one.

I've never heard of a ship going to Brunei, but there are other "common" ports that could be an issue for anyone in the LGBTQ community, including Dubai, Kuwait City, Doha, Salalah and Muscat (i.e. all middle eastern ports).

That being said, you're not suppose to flaunt your sexuality in those countries regardless of your gender identity or sexuality, so as long as you are being safe and respecting local customs, I don't see any reason why a trans person should be any less safe than the rest of the crew in these ports.

That being said, if I was in a leadership position aboard a ship visiting one of the ports where homosexuality was punishable by death, I would most definitely include that in my "sex, drugs and rock&roll" brief to the crew before they went ashore.

We don't ban civilian trans Canadians from travelling to these countries, why should we ban military trans Canadians from visiting these countries during port visits? Life's full of risks and these are adults; they can stay aboard if they feel it's too risky.
"Aboard his ship, there is nothing outside a captain's control." - Captain Sir Edward Pellew

“Extremes to the right and to the left of any political dispute are always wrong.”
― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Death before dishonour! Nothing before coffee!

Offline SeaKingTacco

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Door Gunnery- The Sport of Kings!
« Reply #464 on: April 08, 2019, 09:19:03 »
I've been to Brunei, on a Frigate.

It is a very strange place.

Offline austinjames

• Rate Post
being transgender at basic training
« Reply #465 on: April 13, 2019, 17:07:59 »
so i've found a ton of information about transitioning AFTER joining the military but i've yet to find anyone's experience about being in basic training after you've transitioned. does anyone have any experience of going to basic training as a trans man (or woman works too)?

Offline AshleyMarie34

• Rate Post
25, transgender and going in! Advice please!
« Reply #466 on: April 19, 2019, 15:46:42 »
Hello everyone. I heard of this site a while ago but just now decided to join in hopes of hearing some experiences , voicing concerns and questions of my own and perhaps even make a friend or two! Anyway..

I am a 25 year old transgender woman. For years I had wanted to join the military  but had to put it off mainly due to my desire to have all my treatments complete so if I am hired to join I can do so without any "loose ends" . Joining the military as said has been a dream of mine, and my application is beginning. I don't see myself however getting in until 2020, as my surgery is a few months away as it is.

I suppose my main questions are:

- basic training, what is it like? How long is it? Is it true you go out on the field for like a week straight running on no more than 5 hours of sleep that entire week? I heard ther was one super intense week of training, whereas every other day of the week lights out is 2300-0500. And how gruelling is the exercise?

- postings, after basic do they give you a choice in your posting . I realize you go wherever needed but do they give you a choice of bases that your trade is needing or do they  just pack you up wherever ?

- deployment, after I join and finish my trade training is the possibility of being deployed good? Because I would be the in category of wanting to be in the position of being deployed

-advancement, I known there is a number of ranks in the forces and it takes time to rise up. I just wonder how you can do so? See I know a girl who's been in for 10 years and she's a Captian, my mothers husband has been in since 2001 and is still a Corporal. It just seems odd in a way and maybe someone could educate me here and that.

I'm sure I will have more question pop into my head at some point, but in the mean time thank you to those who are reading! It means a lot and I look forward hearing from you 🇨🇦  ;D

Offline AshleyMarie34

• Rate Post
« Reply #467 on: April 19, 2019, 16:09:32 »
I was looking for my original post and it was moved to this thread. Didn't even realize there was a thread already for this so if my above post looks redundant that is why. Sweet stuff tho!

Offline Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #468 on: April 20, 2019, 01:21:35 »
Welcome to Army.ca, AshleyMarie34.

There's a thread not only for this, but for almost any other topic as well.

Best advice: Start reading through pertinent existing threads. You'll get far more out of doing that. If, after doing some decent research, you still cannot find an answer, somebody with some experience in that area will most likely do his or her best to provide you with one.

Offline lohocard

• Rate Post
  • Figuring everything out
« Reply #469 on: April 20, 2019, 07:48:45 »
so i've found a ton of information about transitioning AFTER joining the military but i've yet to find anyone's experience about being in basic training after you've transitioned. does anyone have any experience of going to basic training as a trans man (or woman works too)?

Read my posts above in this thread ^ I am a trans man and went to basic after i transitioned. PM if you need to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk