Author Topic: British Military Current Events  (Read 1074666 times)

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
Re: British Military Current Events
« Reply #3125 on: February 01, 2020, 19:16:30 »
That wine sure packs a punch....

From SAS to merciless MERCENARIES: A new book tells the story of an elite band of ex-special forces who wreaked havoc around the world. Their calling card? A live grenade in a wine glass

-Private military company KMS operated behind the scenes in the 1970s and 80s
    -It did jobs that would cause a diplomatic fall-out if carried out by regular troops
    -New book lifts lid on KMS’s activities around the world and the men behind it

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7954259/New-book-tells-story-elite-band-ex-special-forces-wreaked-havoc-world.html
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Online CBH99

• Rate Post
« Reply #3126 on: February 01, 2020, 22:41:53 »
A grenade in a wine glass, that's such a classy card to leave it HAS to be British  :nod:
Fortune Favours the Bold...and the Smart.

Wouldn't it be nice to have some Boondock Saints kicking around?

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3127 on: February 01, 2020, 22:58:49 »
A grenade in a wine glass, that's such a classy card to leave it HAS to be British  :nod:

It’s very French. The British used to be much more subtle: Grenade, elastic band around the striker, pull pin, insert is petrol tank.

#oddthingsilearnedinmy20s :)
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3128 on: February 06, 2020, 17:56:36 »
First ever deployment of the Army Reserve in a single, formed unit under its own command.

Approximately 240 reservists from 7 RIFLES and 5 RRF (Royal Regiment of Fusiliers) have been mobilised as a battlegroup on Operation TOSCA, the codename given to the British contribution to the United Nations Peacekeeping Force in Cyprus (UNFICYP), one of the longest-running UK operational tours.

The battlegroup will be led by 7 RIFLES and the parade is their first as a formed unit. The parade saw them swap their regimental berets for the light blue headdress of UN peacekeepers. The battlegroup will be based at Thetford, in Norfolk, for around two months of arduous pre-deployment training (PDT), which will see them learn and practice the skills they need to keep the peace on Cyprus’ Green Line.

Lieutenant Colonel (Lt Col) James Gayner, the Commanding Officer of 7 RIFLES, said; “The British Army runs on a ‘one army’ philosophy. Regular or Reserve, we wear the same uniform and are all expected to meet the same standards.  The British Army is used to sending troops to Cyprus as part of our commitment to building peace and stability, but this is the first time that the unit tasked with doing so has been entirely raised from Reservists. Most of the Regular soldiers who will be out there with us are only there because their specific jobs do not exist in the Reserve.”

https://www.army.mod.uk/news-and-events/news/2020/02/reservists-mobilise-for-operational-tour/

Offline Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • This is my son Michael, KIA Afghanistan 3 Sep 08
« Reply #3129 on: February 06, 2020, 18:38:57 »
That is pretty freakin cool
Freedom Isn't Free   "Never Shall I Fail My Brothers"

“Do everything that is necessary and nothing that is not".

Online CBH99

• Rate Post
« Reply #3130 on: February 06, 2020, 22:10:58 »
That's the kind of thing we should be doing to help with Reserve retention & career progression, in my opinion.

I realize between Latvia, Ukraine, and Iraq - the Army has some pretty decent deployments on the go.  The Navy and Air Force are busy too.

A low intensity, "show the flag" mission like the one mentioned above would be a great way to develop soldiers, leaders, and senior C2 skills at the reserve level.  Gives the reservists a specific mission to aim for, helps keep them in once they are back, and helps provide some real world application to all the training they receive - especially in regards to the organizational stuff.

On another note, the British Army also has a mission in Africa protecting endangered wildlife from poachers.  That, again just in my opinion, is the kind of mission that people would LOVE to go on.  Even if it's just 150 people on that, maybe 200 in Cyprus, etc - some low intensity missions that keep people motivated, and keep unit leadership focused on producing employable people.   :2c:

Good on them to pull it all together and lead it.  Agreed, pretty cool indeed  :nod:

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3131 on: February 07, 2020, 13:03:47 »

On another note, the British Army also has a mission in Africa protecting endangered wildlife from poachers.  That, again just in my opinion, is the kind of mission that people would LOVE to go on.  Even if it's just 150 people on that, maybe 200 in Cyprus, etc - some low intensity missions that keep people motivated, and keep unit leadership focused on producing employable people.   :2c:

About that role....

Foreign ‘conservation armies’ in Africa may be doing more harm than good   

http://theconversation.com/foreign-conservation-armies-in-africa-may-be-doing-more-harm-than-good-80719
about that....

Armed ecoguards funded by WWF 'beat up Congo tribespeople'

Exclusive: Inquiry into $21.4m conservation project reports ‘credible’ evidence of abuse

Armed ecoguards partly funded by the conservation group WWF to protect wildlife in the Republic of Congo beat up and intimidated hundreds of Baka pygmies living deep in the rainforests, an investigation into a landmark global conservation project has heard.

A team of investigators sent to northern Congo by the UN Development Programme (UNDP) to assess allegations of human rights abuses gathered “credible” evidence from different sources that hunter-gatherer Baka tribespeople living close to a proposed national park had been subjected to violence and physical abuse from the guards over years, according to a leaked draft of the report.
The allegations, reported to the UN last year, included Baka tribespeople being beaten by the ecoguards, the criminalisation and illegal imprisonment of Baka men, summary evictions from the forest, the burning and destruction of property, and the confiscation of food.

In addition, the UNDP’s social and environmental compliance unit heard how the ecoguards allegedly treated the Baka men as “sub-human” and humiliated some Baka women by forcing them to take off their clothes and “be like naked children”.

The report says: “These beatings occur when the Baka are in their camps along the road as well as when they are in the forest. They affect men, women and children. Other reports refer to ecoguards pointing a gun at one Baka to force him to beat another and guards taking away the machetes of the Baka, then beating them with those machetes.

“There are reports of Baka men having been taken to prison and of torture and rape inside prison. The widow of one Baka man spoke about her husband being so ill-treated in prison that he died shortly after his release. He had been transported to the prison in a WWF-marked vehicle.”

The draft report, dated 6 January 2020, adds: “The violence and threats are leading to trauma and suffering in the Baka communities. It is also preventing the Baka from pursuing their customary livelihoods, which in turn is contributing to their further marginalisation and impoverishment.”

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2020/feb/07/armed-ecoguards-funded-by-wwf-beat-up-congo-tribespeople

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3132 on: February 07, 2020, 18:49:52 »
Cambridge students say they could be ‘triggered’ by soldiers

Cambridge University Students Union (CUSU) has said that the presence of soldiers at its annual freshers’ fair could ‘trigger’ students.

https://www.spiked-online.com/2020/02/05/cambridge-students-say-they-could-be-triggered-by-soldiers/?fbclid=IwAR3RpozLGgnLU8bzM5eCJD_DVzR4BpKxefsG2X5jVQlSjTPDWQvKTNKgbRQ

Online CBH99

• Rate Post
« Reply #3133 on: February 07, 2020, 18:58:01 »
I think you get what you pay for...  can't imagine WWF funded "armies" are the most professional, or staffed by the most moral-minded folks around.

With the British Army operation, from the various media sources I've seen of the operation, it looks extremely professional.  Health care for the locals, good training in human-relations and patrolling by the British Army to the local Park Rangers, and good relationships with local veterinarians.  Seems like a well polished operation.

I'll find it later and post - there was a documentary about an ex-British Army guy who started his own small PMC to battle some of the more intense poachers.  He hired mostly locals, same as WWF, and he was made aware fairly quickly that he needed to do some 'human rights' courses with the folks he hired.

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3134 on: February 08, 2020, 10:59:42 »
I think you get what you pay for...  can't imagine WWF funded "armies" are the most professional, or staffed by the most moral-minded folks around.

With the British Army operation, from the various media sources I've seen of the operation, it looks extremely professional.  Health care for the locals, good training in human-relations and patrolling by the British Army to the local Park Rangers, and good relationships with local veterinarians.  Seems like a well polished operation.

I'll find it later and post - there was a documentary about an ex-British Army guy who started his own small PMC to battle some of the more intense poachers.  He hired mostly locals, same as WWF, and he was made aware fairly quickly that he needed to do some 'human rights' courses with the folks he hired.

It's right out of 'Heart of Darkness'

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3135 on: February 11, 2020, 22:13:26 »
UK army 'years off' full strength despite recruitment drive

Successful Snowflake campaign has helped military hit annual target for first time in six years

Army recruiters have conceded it will take several years to get the British army near to full strength despite the perceived success of its Snowflake ad campaign, which has helped it to reach its annual target for the first time in six years.

Enlisting had collapsed after recruitment was part-privatised in 2012 when Capita partnered the army but new figures showed that 99% of the year’s 9,440 target had been signed up with seven weeks to go.

Successful advertising, popular TV programmes and a relaxation of health requirements are among the measures that have helped but recruiters warned a single year’s performance would do little to reduce the overall shortfall.

Maj Gen Paul Nanson, who heads army recruitment, said it was “going to take years” to get back to the levels needed, with current figures showing the shortfall is a little over 8,000 on the target of 82,000. Nanson said he could not give a specific timeframe to recover strength but added that he hoped the army could “show to people watching that we can maintain the level of improvement” and gradually boost numbers.

Part of the recovery was attributed to the controversial ad campaign run in 2019, targeting “snowflakes”, “selfie addicts” and “phone zombies”, which the army believed would help catch the imagination of the target audience.

It has also been helped by the army relaxing recruitment criteria, making it easier for overweight or unfit people or those with asthma and eczema to join, and the popularity of television programmes depicting military life.

This year’s ad campaign, which launched in January, is aimed at teenagers and young adults suffering from anxiety and self-doubt. “Confidence that lasts for a lifetime” can only be obtained from the army, say the posters.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/feb/12/uk-army-years-off-full-strength-despite-recruitment-drive

Offline FJAG

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ex Gladio Justicia
    • Google Sites Wolf Riedel
« Reply #3136 on: February 19, 2020, 00:00:29 »
She's flying! First woman ever to pass brutal Paratroopers course is handed her maroon beret after the 28-year-old completes the toughest training outside of the Special Forces

- Capt. Rosie Wild first woman to complete Parachute Regiment selection course

-She was handed her maroon beret at a parade in Catterick, North Yorkshire

-In order for soldiers to get their 'wings' they must complete eight tough tests

By LARISSA BROWN FOR THE DAILY MAIL

A female Army officer yesterday became the first woman to complete the gruelling Parachute Regiment selection course.

Captain Rosie Wild, 28, of the Royal Artillery, is the first woman to pass the All Arms Pre-Parachute Selection, more commonly known as 'P company' – the toughest military selection course outside the Special Forces.

She was handed her maroon beret at a parade in Catterick, North Yorkshire.

And she's a gunner!  ;D

See rest here: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8018547/First-woman-pass-brutal-Paratroopers-course-handed-maroon-beret.html

:cheers:
Illegitimi non carborundum
Semper debeatis percutis ictu primo
Access my "Allies" and "Mark Winters, CID" book series at:
https://sites.google.com/view/wolfriedel
Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/WolfRiedelAuthor/

Offline dapaterson

Halfway to being an idiot-savant.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3137 on: February 19, 2020, 00:01:32 »

And she's a gunner!  ;D

Well, nobody's perfect.
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline FJAG

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ex Gladio Justicia
« Reply #3138 on: February 23, 2020, 10:37:02 »
Soldier wins £2.5 million payout from MoD after getting shot in the foot during a training exercise
- The Ministry of Defence spent £129.7m in compensation payouts last year
- A soldier was paid £2.5m after he was shot in the foot during a training exercise
- There were nearly 3,000 claims and a 55 per cent growth in payouts, figures say

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8034635/Soldier-wins-2-5-million-payout-MoD-getting-shot-foot-training-exercise.html

:cheers:

Offline FJAG

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ex Gladio Justicia
« Reply #3139 on: February 23, 2020, 10:39:19 »
Northern Ireland veteran kills himself after 'witch hunt' investigation into his actions during the Troubles
- Eddie 'Spud' Murphy killed himself on Thursday and was found by his wife
- He is believed to have survived at least one IRA bomb attack while in Fusiliers
- Six other British Army veterans are currently facing prosecution in N. Ireland
- For confidential support call the Samaritans on 116123, visit a local branch or go to www.samaritans.org ...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8034379/Northern-Ireland-veteran-kills-witch-hunt-investigation-actions-Troubles.html

:brickwall:

Offline FJAG

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ex Gladio Justicia
« Reply #3140 on: February 23, 2020, 10:50:13 »
Hundreds of musicians in British military bands are forced to stop playing due to injuries caused by playing and marching at the same time
- Figures show 348 musicians from military bands were medically downgraded
- It is thought 137 has suffered long-term musculoskeletal disorders since 2008
- Band members also suffered with repetitive strain injuries and heat stroke

Hundreds of musicians in British military bands have been forced to stop playing due to injuries caused by marching and performing at the same time.

Perhaps surprisingly, it is the lighter instruments that pose the most threat to their health.

Official new figures reveal that 348 musicians from the Army, Royal Navy and Royal Air Force bands had been medically downgraded as of April 1, 2019, with 137 suffering long-term musculoskeletal disorders since 2008.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8033589/Hundreds-musicians-British-military-bands-forced-stop-playing-injuries.html

You just can't make this stuff up.

:rofl:

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3141 on: February 23, 2020, 11:31:06 »
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8033589/Hundreds-musicians-British-military-bands-forced-stop-playing-injuries.html

You just can't make this stuff up.

:rofl:

Fortunately, for Scottish regiments, the bagpipe is not a musical instrument: it is a weapon :)

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3142 on: February 26, 2020, 00:04:34 »
Johnson unveils major review of foreign and defence policy

Key issues will be resetting UK’s relationships with allies and developing cyber capabilities

Policy review launched by Boris Johnson will set out national security strategy for the next five years. Photograph: Matt Dunham/PA

Boris Johnson has unveiled a post-Brexit review of foreign and defence policy in an attempt to determine Britain’s national security strategy for the next five years.

The six-month exercise is another step in the prime minister’s assertion of control following the controversial cabinet reshuffle, and comes amid growing cyber threats and uncertainty about the UK’s place in the world.

It will be led by Sir Alex Ellis, a civil servant, with input from Dominic Cummings, who has been a sharp critic of overspending by the Ministry of Defence and of the methods of BAE Systems and other key contractors.

Some Whitehall sources said the appointment of Ellis amounted to a defeat for Cummings, who they said had been struggling to appoint officials to work on the review because of his aggressive reputation across Whitehall.

But while Ellis will report directly to Sir Mark Sedwill, the cabinet secretary and Britain’s most powerful civil servant, the terms of review made clear it would also involve “a small team in Downing Street comprised of experts from inside and outside the civil service”.

Defence and security reviews traditionally take place every five years, but this one will be different as it will be considering the country’s foreign policy needs at a time when the UK has just left the EU and as it weighs up how closely it wants to be aligned to the United States.

Prof Malcolm Chalmers from the Royal United Services Institute thinktank said: “What they have to deal with is an increased uncertainty about our long-term relationship with Europe on one hand, and whether we can rely on Donald Trump’s United States on the other.”

But there was criticism from some experts because Downing Street is allowing the review to run at the same time as the comprehensive spending review – which they said meant that any of its conclusions would be limited by wider financial constraints.

Dr Alan Mendoza, executive director of the Henry Jackson Society thinktank, said he believed that was “a major victory of the civil service over the PM’s advisers”.

“The announced approach risks decisions on our foreign policy strategy being overtaken by short-term financial concerns,” he said.

The Foreign Office, Ministry of Defence, and other government departments and agencies will feed into the central review team, while final decisions will be taken by the National Security Council, a group of senior ministers chaired by the prime minister.
Guardian Today: the headlines, the analysis, the debate - sent direct to you

Key issues under consideration will be how far the UK wants to develop an integrated offensive hacking capability after turf wars between the Ministry of Defence and GCHQ have hampered progress since the previous 2015 review, at a time when Russia and China are engaged in long-term, low-level cyber warfare.

It will also take a particular look at how the MoD and intelligence agencies purchase equipment in a nod to Cummings, who has made little secret of his criticisms of defence budgeting, which has historically favoured large capital spending on aircraft carriers and sophisticated jet fighters.

Last March, before returning to government, Johnson’s chief aide wrote that the procurement process “has continued to squander billions of pounds, enriching some of the worst corporate looters and corrupting public life via the revolving door of officials/lobbyists”.

Tackling serious and organised crime will also form part of the review, which is an area traditionally under-resourced compared with spending on combating terrorism, prompting some analysts to ask whether the review could lead to a revamp of the much criticised

The previous 2015 review had tried to focus spending on fighting Isis and other non-state terror organisations by emphasising the need for smaller expeditionary and special forces. But those involved said it underestimated Russia’s conventional military capability, which has enabled the Kremlin to become a major player in the Syrian civil war.

As he announced the review Boris Johnson said: “As the world changes we must move with it – harnessing new technologies and ways of thinking to ensure British foreign policy is rooted firmly in our national interests, now and in the decades ahead.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/feb/25/johnson-unveils-major-review-of-foreign-and-defence-policy

Online MarkOttawa

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Two birthdays
    • The 3Ds Blog
« Reply #3143 on: February 26, 2020, 10:30:27 »
British military facing big cash crunch in new SDSR, should be making some hard decisions--Thin Pinstriped Line makes some alternative radical proposals to cut one's coat to suit one's cloth--and CAF in future?

1) But NATO?

2) NATO as focus here, but what about North Atlantic ASW?

Mark
Ottawa

Now:

Johnson unveils major review of foreign and defence policy
Key issues will be resetting UK’s relationships with allies and developing cyber capabilities

Boris Johnson has unveiled a post-Brexit review of foreign and defence policy in an attempt to determine Britain’s national security strategy for the next five years.

The six-month exercise is another step in the prime minister’s assertion of control following the controversial cabinet reshuffle, and comes amid growing cyber threats and uncertainty about the UK’s place in the world.

It will be led by Sir Alex Ellis, a civil servant, with input from Dominic Cummings, who has been a sharp critic of overspending by the Ministry of Defence and of the methods of BAE Systems and other key contractors.

Some Whitehall sources said the appointment of Ellis amounted to a defeat for Cummings, who they said had been struggling to appoint officials to work on the review because of his aggressive reputation across Whitehall.

But while Ellis will report directly to Sir Mark Sedwill, the cabinet secretary and Britain’s most powerful civil servant, the terms of review made clear it would also involve “a small team in Downing Street comprised of experts from inside and outside the civil service”.

Defence and security reviews traditionally take place every five years, but this one will be different as it will be considering the country’s foreign policy needs at a time when the UK has just left the EU and as it weighs up how closely it wants to be aligned to the United States.

Prof Malcolm Chalmers from the Royal United Services Institute thinktank said: “What they have to deal with is an increased uncertainty about our long-term relationship with Europe on one hand, and whether we can rely on Donald Trump’s United States on the other.”

But there was criticism from some experts because Downing Street is allowing the review to run at the same time as the comprehensive spending review – which they said meant that any of its conclusions would be limited by wider financial constraints.

Dr Alan Mendoza, executive director of the Henry Jackson Society thinktank, said he believed that was “a major victory of the civil service over the PM’s advisers”.

“The announced approach risks decisions on our foreign policy strategy being overtaken by short-term financial concerns,” he said.

The Foreign Office, Ministry of Defence, and other government departments and agencies will feed into the central review team, while final decisions will be taken by the National Security Council, a group of senior ministers chaired by the prime minister.

Key issues under consideration will be how far the UK wants to develop an integrated offensive hacking capability after turf wars between the Ministry of Defence and GCHQ have hampered progress since the previous 2015 review, at a time when Russia and China are engaged in long-term, low-level cyber warfare.

It will also take a particular look at how the MoD and intelligence agencies purchase equipment in a nod to Cummings, who has made little secret of his criticisms of defence budgeting, which has historically favoured large capital spending on aircraft carriers and sophisticated jet fighters
[emphasis added].

Last March, before returning to government, Johnson’s chief aide wrote that the procurement process “has continued to squander billions of pounds, enriching some of the worst corporate looters and corrupting public life via the revolving door of officials/lobbyists”.

Tackling serious and organised crime will also form part of the review, which is an area traditionally under-resourced compared with spending on combating terrorism, prompting some analysts to ask whether the review could lead to a revamp of the much criticised National Crime Agency.

The previous 2015 review had tried to focus spending on fighting Isis and other non-state terror organisations by emphasising the need for smaller expeditionary and special forces. But those involved said it underestimated Russia’s conventional military capability, which has enabled the Kremlin to become a major player in the Syrian civil war.

As he announced the review Boris Johnson said: “As the world changes we must move with it – harnessing new technologies and ways of thinking to ensure British foreign policy is rooted firmly in our national interests, now and in the decades ahead.”
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/feb/25/johnson-unveils-major-review-of-foreign-and-defence-policy

Mark
Ottawa
Ça explique, mais ça n'excuse pas.

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3144 on: February 28, 2020, 21:17:23 »
Military to help NHS cope with major coronavirus outbreak

Contingency plans and proposed emergency laws for pandemic emerge as UK confirms 20th case

The UK is facing its first significant test of how to contain a potential coronavirus outbreak after the government confirmed a 20th victim of Covid-19 and details began to emerge of its contingency planning and emergency legislation for an upsurge in cases.

The latest patient in England is the first to contract the illness while in the UK. The chief medical officer, Prof Chris Whitty, said it was unclear whether the man from Surrey contracted it directly or indirectly from someone who had recently returned from abroad.

“This is being investigated and contact tracing has begun. The patient has been transferred to a specialist NHS infection centre at Guy’s and St Thomas’ [hospital].”
Guardian Today: the headlines, the analysis, the debate - sent direct to you
Read more

The Guardian has been told there are now fears that a doctor from the patient’s surgery may also have been infected with the virus. If confirmed, this would prompt particular concern as the GP would routinely have seen scores of patients over the course of the last week.

As part of the official UK action plan being drawn up by ministers and Whitty, military medics, and British Red Cross and St John Ambulance personnel will be drafted in to help the NHS cope with a major outbreak.

Under ministerial planning for a “reasonable worst-case scenario” of a potential pandemic, doctors and nurses working for the armed forces would help at hospitals where staff who have the virus are too ill to work or are self-isolating at home.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/28/military-to-help-nhs-cope-with-major-coronavirus-outbreak

Offline Good2Golf

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Dammit! I lost my sand-wedge on that last jump!
« Reply #3145 on: March 01, 2020, 06:09:49 »
I wonder if the review will include ousting Huawei from the Nation’s Comms infrastructure?

Offline dapaterson

Halfway to being an idiot-savant.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3146 on: March 01, 2020, 10:21:42 »
US is granting rural exemptions for Huawei... it's a mess.
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Online MarkOttawa

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Two birthdays
    • The 3Ds Blog
« Reply #3147 on: March 05, 2020, 16:17:18 »
Start of a post on BoJo's "“Integrated Review of Security, Defence, Development and Foreign Policy“ (that's a mouthful):

Whither the British Military?

Review, review, review but to what real end? The start and end of a piece at LINDLEY-FRENCH’S BLOG BLAST: SPEAKING TRUTH UNTO POWER, plus earlier related posts by Sir Humphrey at Thin Pinstriped Line. Some parallel really hard thinking is needed about what the Canadian Armed Forces can realistically be expected effectively to do with the limited defence budgets that any Canadian government is likely to provide them, especially if there are hard economic times:

Ends, Ways and Has-Beens?
https://mark3ds.wordpress.com/2020/03/05/whither-the-british-military/

Mark
Ottawa
Ça explique, mais ça n'excuse pas.

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3148 on: March 08, 2020, 14:54:54 »

Commonwealth veterans accuse UK of leaving them in immigration limbo

Ex-soldiers are taking action against MoD and Home Office over alleged systemic failures

A group of soldiers who served in Iraq and Afghanistan are taking legal action against the Home Office and the Ministry of Defence over an alleged systemic failure to assist them with complex, unaffordable immigration rules on discharge, leaving them classified as illegal immigrants, facing unemployment and homelessness and fearing deportation.

In the unprecedented group action taken against the two government departments, the group of Commonwealth-born veterans, each of whom served between seven and 12 years in the British army, say immigration difficulties have left them feeling betrayed by the country they served. Military charities say hundreds more are similarly affected.

MoD rules state that Commonwealth-born service personnel are eligible for indefinite leave to remain in the UK after discharge if they have served four years. But the claimants state that the army failed to inform them that they needed to make an immediate application to the Home Office for leave to remain in the UK on discharge, despite a clear MoD requirement that the process should be explained to all non-British veterans in the period before they leave the army.

Most assumed that after four years of service, the immigration process was automatic; the Home Office stamped their passports on joining the military with a note stating that they were exempt from immigration restrictions, and that they were “not subject to any condition or limitation on the period of permitted stay in the UK”. The stamps were not marked with an expiry date but nevertheless became invalid on discharge; veterans say they were not informed.
Advertisement

When they discovered, with the tightening of the Home Office’s “hostile environment” regulations after 2012, that they were in breach of immigration rules, they struggled to adapt themselves, mainly because of the cost of regularising their situation. Home Office visa application fees have risen sharply from £1,051 in 2015 to the current fee of £2,389. This means a service leaver and their partner with two children would have to pay nearly £10,000 to continue to live in the UK, an unaffordable sum for most on army pensions.

As a result of immigration problems, some lost their jobs, while others chose to live semi-clandestine lives, avoiding contact with the authorities, afraid that an immigration application could be rejected and they could be detained and removed from the UK. One family was visited at home by immigration officers. Some have been too scared to seek medical help, in case the NHS refers them to immigration enforcement. Others have chosen to return to their country of birth rather than risking detention, despite having the legal right to remain.

Their concerns have been exacerbated by the well-publicised 2013 case of Filimone Lacanivalu, who was arrested and detained when he tried to rectify his immigration status after discharge despite nine years of service, including two tours of Afghanistan. His situation was only resolved when the then home secretary, Theresa May, intervened 48 hours before his scheduled deportation to Fiji.

The current action involves eight former soldiers, who were all recruited to the army from Fiji, but the lawyers believe hundreds of ex-service personnel are similarly affected. The armed forces employ about 4,500 Commonwealth citizens; recruitment in Commonwealth countries has recently been stepped up “to build on the long-held links Britain’s military has with Commonwealth countries”, according to the MoD.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/mar/08/commonwealth-veterans-accuse-uk-immigration-limbo-home-office-mod

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3149 on: March 13, 2020, 09:21:56 »
British Soldier Killed In Iraq Attack Named

A British soldier who died in a rocket attack in Iraq has been named as Lance Corporal Brodie Gillon.

LCpl Gillon was one of three coalition service members killed in an attack on Camp Taji yesterday.

The 26-year-old served as a reservist with the Scottish and North Irish Yeomanry, combining her military work with a career as a self-employed sports physiotherapist.

She joined the regiment in September 2015 as a Combat Medical Technician (CMT), progressing to qualify as a Class 1 Combat Medical Technician in 2018.

https://www.forces.net/news/british-soldier-killed-iraq-attack-named?fbclid=IwAR3OaU0fVvDcLfubLah9PlLc2ZqLzzEjzyBNY-LlKKBMPUZaxlAvfVC02iY