Author Topic: Naval Combat Dress (NCD) uniform [Merged]  (Read 218450 times)

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
Re: Naval Combat Dress (NCD) uniform [Merged]
« Reply #450 on: August 26, 2020, 16:32:48 »
 :facepalm: to both CBC and the comments the Jnr NCOs made.

Uniforms are not "duds".  Can we, as the Armed Forces of our nation, not let CBC say dumb things like that?  This constant struggle to 'be cool' is for wankers.

The RCN Jnr NCM/NCOs really stressed the "hey, it's kinda cool looking and yah it looks cool walkin' around the dockyard" parts. 

Summary;  not sure what that *story* was actually about.

stellarpanther

« Reply #451 on: August 26, 2020, 17:36:31 »
:facepalm: to both CBC and the comments the Jnr NCOs made.

Uniforms are not "duds".  Can we, as the Armed Forces of our nation, not let CBC say dumb things like that?  This constant struggle to 'be cool' is for wankers.

The RCN Jnr NCM/NCOs really stressed the "hey, it's kinda cool looking and yah it looks cool walkin' around the dockyard" parts. 

Summary;  not sure what that *story* was actually about.

First off, I never heard the term "duds" before but it didn't sound like it was meant in a bad way.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #452 on: August 26, 2020, 18:28:55 »
Would you say it convey's 'professionalism' in any way?

It should be in an Old Navy commercial perhaps...but an (dare I say...) 'article'...about the RCN? 

Offline CBH99

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #453 on: August 26, 2020, 18:31:34 »
I'd just chalk it up to CBC trying to sound hip & cool to a younger generation.  I wouldn't overthink it.   :2c:

I haven't heard anybody ever use the word 'duds' before, and I work with a lot of younger folks at my weekend job.
Fortune Favours the Bold...and the Smart.

Wouldn't it be nice to have some Boondock Saints kicking around?

Offline Oldgateboatdriver

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #454 on: August 26, 2020, 18:47:10 »
I haven't heard anybody ever use the word 'duds' before, and I work with a lot of younger folks at my weekend job.

We used that word, duds, when I was young. But it didn't refer to anything hip or cool. Rather the opposite: If you were told you wore duds, it meant worn out or ragged clothes. You'd look at a hobo, for instance and say "look at this guy's duds."

I seem to recall it was from Old English, something circa 15th or 16th century.

Offline Blackadder1916

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #455 on: August 26, 2020, 19:00:16 »
I'd just chalk it up to CBC trying to sound hip & cool to a younger generation.  I wouldn't overthink it.   :2c:

Hip and cool . . . younger generation . . .  well if that new, hipper, cooler and younger generation originated in the 16th century and "duds" meant much the same thing back then - clothes.  But if an organization is making such a big deal about getting a new uniform with more bling that a reporter is making a special report then it's not surprising that the news presenter sounds somewhat stupid trying to match the enthusiasm of those with the new duds.

And for those who say they haven't heard that expression before, use the search function and it will come up with several pages of examples from these means.  However those examples will include its use for ammo that didn't go off, individuals who had no potential and as a synonym for clothing.
Whisky for the gentlemen that like it. And for the gentlemen that don't like it - Whisky.

Offline Chief Engineer

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
"When your draught exceeds your depth, you are most assuredly aground"

All opinions stated are not official policy of the CF and of a private individual

كافر

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Living the staff life
« Reply #457 on: August 26, 2020, 22:01:11 »

I'm pretty sure the last time I heard "duds" for clothing (as opposed to ammo) was from an old PO about 20 years ago.  If anything, that sounds like the CBC letting their reporter's dad write the headline    ;D
“If you run into an a-hole in the morning, you ran into an a-hole. If you run into a-holes all day, you're the a-hole.”

- Raylan Givens, Justified (cleaned up for content)

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #458 on: August 29, 2020, 11:10:08 »
Do y'hear there... do y'hear there.....

FWIW,

Recently, I saw two groups of sailors at lunch on the waterfront. One group was wearing the old work dress, mid-blue shirts tucked into dark blue trousers etc. The other was wearing the new stuff. Both group wore the ball caps.

The people in the new stuff definitely looked sharper and more 'military'. The plethora of patches was slightly disorienting but, if there's a choice to be made about what the crew should be wearing in public, there wasn't much of a contest there IMHO.

That is all....
“To stand on the firing parapet and expose yourself to danger; to stand and fight a thousand miles from home when you're all alone and outnumbered and probably beaten; to spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary.”
— Jerry Pournelle —

Offline Humphrey Bogart

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #459 on: August 29, 2020, 11:26:06 »
Do y'hear there... do y'hear there.....

FWIW,

Recently, I saw two groups of sailors at lunch on the waterfront. One group was wearing the old work dress, mid-blue shirts tucked into dark blue trousers etc. The other was wearing the new stuff. Both group wore the ball caps.

The people in the new stuff definitely looked sharper and more 'military'. The plethora of patches was slightly disorienting but, if there's a choice to be made about what the crew should be wearing in public, there wasn't much of a contest there IMHO.

That is all....

The old Navy Uniforms are pretty hideous tbh, they don't give off a Military appearance at all.  The new ones are a BIG improvement.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #460 on: August 30, 2020, 12:25:19 »
The plethora of patches was slightly disorienting but...

Seems to be ops normal for the entire CAF and more forces internationally.  Some are resisting successfully (USMC comes to mind).