Author Topic: Tan berets and other CANSOFCOM, JTF, and CSOR fashions [1st split: CSOR]  (Read 218124 times)

Offline Cool Breeze

• Rate Post
I think the basic idea behind it is fine. The thing that bothers me about it is that - I don't even know how to describe it - but that jagged, multi-pointed, "star" thing behind the maple leaf...unless there's some kinda underlying significance to it I don't know about. Also I woulda personally preferred just a basic maple leaf like that on the flag. But the conceptual idea is good. Just my two cents, not that it would make a difference since apparently the GG has already approved this. Whaddya'll think?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 22:11:44 by Cool Breeze »
You're coming in Broken and Stupid!

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
- but that jagged, multi-pointed, "star" thing behind the maple leaf.
It's a flint arrowhead, created by breaking bits off of a piece of flint, hence the jagged form.

Whaddya'll think?
Referring to your signature line....I don't believe you're broken.

Offline gcclarke

• Rate Post
Personally, I think it looks a bit "busy". I would have gone with either the sword or the maple leaf, but not both.

Of course, they also didn't ask me.
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts.  Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan ‘Press On’ has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
- Calvin Coolidge

Offline Michael O'Leary

• The moral high ground cannot be dominated by fire alone, it must be occupied to be claimed as held.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The Regimental Rogue
It's not a sword, it's a Fairbairn Sykes knife.

Offline Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • This is my son Michael, KIA Afghanistan 3 Sep 08
Its very reminiscent of the First Special Service Force patch.
Freedom Isn't Free   "Never Shall I Fail My Brothers"

“Do everything that is necessary and nothing that is not".

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
I think the basic idea behind it is fine. The thing that bothers me about it is that - I don't even know how to describe it - but that jagged, multi-pointed, "star" thing behind the maple leaf...unless there's some kinda underlying significance to it I don't know about. Also I woulda personally preferred just a basic maple leaf like that on the flag. But the conceptual idea is good. Just my two cents, not that it would make a difference since apparently the GG has already approved this. Whaddya'll think?

Personally, I think it looks a bit "busy". I would have gone with either the sword or the maple leaf, but not both.

Of course, they also didn't ask me.

Guys

If you read up on your history and then commented, it would make a little more sense.

Its very reminiscent of the First Special Service Force patch.

Of course it does.  These units are perpetuating the FSSF and the SSF.  If you look at 2 CMBG's patch, you will see that they perpetuate the SSF as well as their local history with the arrowhead and the Black Bear which has some connection to the famous bear of WW I, Winnie, who was purchased in that area of Ontario. 

If you comment; research your comments and they will be more valid.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 10:48:49 by George Wallace »
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline ArmyRick

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • What the????
I think it looks fine and I expect all those that earn it, will wear it with pride. Hard work deserves recognition.
I am NOT a privileged white man by virtue of being male or white. I am privileged because I am alive and exercising my right to be who I am!

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
I bet the badge lands on ebay and gets bought up by airsofters before the first csor guy gets one sewn on  ;D
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline Michael O'Leary

• The moral high ground cannot be dominated by fire alone, it must be occupied to be claimed as held.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The Regimental Rogue
I bet the badge lands on ebay and gets bought up by airsofters before the first csor guy gets one sewn on  ;D

I've got contact e-mails to at least a dozen badge manufacturers in Pakistan in my e-mail trash folder.  I can send that image away and have embroidered samples ready to sell in two weeks.    >:D

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
It's a metal pin; it'll take extra week for the knock-offs to arrive   ;)

Offline noneck

• Rate Post

Offline Michael O'Leary

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The Regimental Rogue
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairbairn-Sykes_Fighting_Knife

Other knives by Fairbairn

General Robert T. Frederick of the First Special Service Force is credited with a similar weapon, the V-42 combat knife, itself a derivation of the F-S design. The V-42 was manufactured by W. R. Case & Sons Cutlery Co. during this period and is distinguished mainly by its markings and the presence of a small, scored indentation for the wielder's thumb, to aid in orienting the knife for thrusting. Fairbairn was also credited with design of the smatchet.

Shall we next argue about which maple tree the leaf came from?

Offline Rider Pride

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Easy to draw, hard to spell
Re: Tan berets and other CANSOFCOM, JTF, and CSOR fashions [1st split: CSOR]
« Reply #212 on: November 03, 2010, 16:18:52 »
example of the badge.
"Return with your shield, or upon it."

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
Wanted: SOF "Distinctive Service Uniform"
« Reply #213 on: October 02, 2017, 06:32:54 »
This from the public purchasing web page posted 2 Oct 2017:
... REQUIREMENT:

To establish the Canadian Special Operations Forces Command (CANSOFCOM) as a unique service, Canada requires a Distinctive Service Uniform for the Special Operations Forces to be supplied in accordance with DND specifications.

The Special Operations Forces Distinctive Service Uniform (SDSU) will be be used for daily dress, training and deployed operations that is distinct from the other services.  The SDSU consists of a coat and trousers that will be manufactured in accordance with the DND provided manufacturing data and patterns.  The uniform has the same design as the CAF Enhanced Combat Uniform, but will be available in two different materials, both with a MULTICAM® camouflage pattern printed outer finish ...
More details in the Statement of Work (44 pg PDF) here - some diagrams from the bid package attached.
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
Wanted: Tactical Flight Suits
« Reply #214 on: October 04, 2017, 06:55:27 »
This from the public tender site ...
The Departement of National Defence, Canadian Special Operations Forces Command (CANSOFCOM) has a requirement for the provision of the Tactical Helicopter Crew Flight Suit Flame Resistant (FR) in accordance with DND specifications detailed in the RFP

The  requirement is for a flame-resistant two-piece flight suit to support training and operations where standard Canadian Armed Forces clothing is unsuitable.  The flight suit will be constructed from a flame-resistant material printed with the MULTICAM® camouflage pattern and will consist of one pair of trousers and one shirt ...
More here (links to posting) and here (49 pg PDF Statement of Work) -- some diagrams attached.

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
Funny I thought the Special Forces goal was to blend in and not be noticed.

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
Funny I thought the Special Forces goal was to blend in and not be noticed.
Funny that ...  ;D

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
Some, ....a few, have the same mentality as pilots.   >:D
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline MCG

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
To establish the Canadian Special Operations Forces Command (CANSOFCOM) as a unique service ...
They are going to have to do more than wear foreign looking colours if that is the goal, given that a certain law states the CF consists “of one Service called the Canadian Armed Forces.”

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
They are going to have to do more than wear foreign looking colours if that is the goal, given that a certain law states the CF consists “of one Service called the Canadian Armed Forces.”
If we're going to pick apart semantics, they're wearing a different uniform pattern not trying to wear flags as an outer garment.

Offline MCG

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Your dictionary is broken if the only meaning that you can assign to “colour” is that of it being a synonym for “flag.”

Online Infanteer

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Honey Badger FTW!
So, the drafter should have put "Unique command" vice "Unique service".
"Overall it appears that much of the apparent complexity of modern war stems in practice from the self-imposed complexity of modern HQs" LCol J.P. Storr

Offline Good2Golf

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Dammit! I lost my sand-wedge on that last jump!
So, the drafter should have put "Unique command" vice "Unique service".

:nod:

...and the Royal Canadian Navy is the "Senior Command," not the "Senior Service."

etc...  ;)

Cheers
G2G

Offline medicineman

• Well stuck into my new job and thoroughly enjoying it.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
:nod:

...and the Royal Canadian Navy is the "Senior Senile Command," not the "Senior Senile Service."

etc...  ;)

Cheers
G2G

FTFY.

MM

MM

Remember the basics of Medicine - "Pink is GOOD, Blue is BAD, Air goes in AND out, Blood Goes Round and Round"

I may sound like a pessimist, but I am a realist.

Offline Good2Golf

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Dammit! I lost my sand-wedge on that last jump!