Author Topic: Liberal Minority Government 2019 - ????  (Read 56813 times)

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Re: Liberal Minority Government 2019 - ????
« Reply #650 on: August 23, 2020, 09:27:52 »
Quote from: shawn5o

The prorogation of the talented Mr. Poilievre
Prorogation killed the committee investigating the WE deal. That was its point. Its only point. Parliament had been done already

Incidentally this article gives a great example of what Liberal transparency looks like.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 09:43:29 by Jarnhamar »
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline Donald H

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #651 on: August 23, 2020, 12:00:22 »
Hi Don

It was Morneau's office that turned it down. When i wrote "The optics are bad" I mean that Silver repeatedly demanded "the Trudeau government to make changes to the federal wage subsidy in a failed bid to make his new employer eligible for the multi-billion dollar aid program."

Yes, I fully understand that Shawn. That which I don't understand is Silver's case he's presenting. He must have some arguing points if he keeps at it.

The optics are bad because Silver is still demanding access to these government benefits

I don't find it to be surprising that he does. And I mean that the optics of the whole thing are in the fact that Trudeau hasn't caved to his asking. That's the reason why I suggested that the highly Conservative NP would be scrambling to make a story out of it! As I suggested, they're blowing smoke in the wrong direction.
It was believed afterward that the man was a lunatic, because there was no sense in what he said.
~Mark Twain.

Offline Good2Golf

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Dammit! I lost my sand-wedge on that last jump!
« Reply #652 on: August 23, 2020, 12:43:45 »
Yes, I fully understand that Shawn. That which I don't understand is Silver's case he's presenting. He must have some arguing points if he keeps at it.

I don't find it to be surprising that he does. And I mean that the optics of the whole thing are in the fact that Trudeau hasn't caved to his asking. That's the reason why I suggested that the highly Conservative NP would be scrambling to make a story out of it! As I suggested, they're blowing smoke in the wrong direction.

It seems like you don’t want to understand. Many posters have provided details of his efforts.

It’s as simple as this:

- Silver wanted his company employees to qualify for CEWS
- Silver’s company, MPAC does not qualify for CEWS because it’s majority-ownership company, Caisse de dépôt de placement du Québec is a tax-exempt entity
- Silver lobbied (but didn’t register his lobbying activities) ex Finance Minister Morneau’s staff to change the CEWS eligibility criteria so MPAC employees could receive CEWS
- Morneau’s staff refused Silver’s lobbying efforts to change CEWS eligibility criteria, noting that to do so would benefit primarily MPAC, which they deemed inappropriate.

C’est tout...

Offline Donald H

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #653 on: August 23, 2020, 13:02:24 »
It seems like you don’t want to understand. Many posters have provided details of his efforts.

It’s as simple as this:

- Silver wanted his company employees to qualify for CEWS
- Silver’s company, MPAC does not qualify for CEWS because it’s majority-ownership company, Caisse de dépôt de placement du Québec is a tax-exempt entity
- Silver lobbied (but didn’t register his lobbying activities) ex Finance Minister Morneau’s staff to change the CEWS eligibility criteria so MPAC employees could receive CEWS
- Morneau’s staff refused Silver’s lobbying efforts to change CEWS eligibility criteria, noting that to do so would benefit primarily MPAC, which they deemed inappropriate.

C’est tout...

Yes I understand and thank you for your comments Good2Golf.
That which I don't understand and have tried to get across is that we don't know Silver's talking points and arguments.  Or in other words, why does he believe that CEWS eligibility needs to be adjusted to include his interests?

When/if we know that then we will have a better idea why Trudeau's government hasn't ceded to Silver's demands. My guess is that it is contrary to a Liberal party agenda.
It was believed afterward that the man was a lunatic, because there was no sense in what he said.
~Mark Twain.

Offline FJAG

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ex Gladio Justicia
    • Google Sites Wolf Riedel
« Reply #654 on: August 23, 2020, 13:38:21 »
Yes I understand and thank you for your comments Good2Golf.
That which I don't understand and have tried to get across is that we don't know Silver's talking points and arguments.  Or in other words, why does he believe that CEWS eligibility needs to be adjusted to include his interests?

When/if we know that then we will have a better idea why Trudeau's government hasn't ceded to Silver's demands. My guess is that it is contrary to a Liberal party agenda.

The question isn't "why does he believe that CEWS eligibility needs to be adjusted to include his interests". The answer is right there in the question. MPAC didn't qualify under CEWS and Silver wanted it changed so that it does. That's just pure self interest which ordinarily isn't an issue. Most businesses want that.

The question really is: was Silver using his status as Telford's husband to get greater access to government than an ordinary business would get? Morneau's office's rejection is an appropriate response, however, one is left with the nagging feeling that Silver's approaches in this respect were perhaps more successful at getting at the seats of power because of his relationship with Telford. I doubt if we'll ever know the truth behind that and I don't think that the answer to the questions that you are asking will ever get us any closer to knowing the truth.

I'm not a fan of the Liberals for exactly this reason. I think that their power base comes from a network of relationships that is constantly looking at getting a handout or a leg up from the folks in office at the expense of the country as a whole and/or competitors in general. There are simply too many back-door friendships with the Liberals that result in sweetheart deals and my spidey senses start to tingle every time one of these situations comes up.

:worms:
Illegitimi non carborundum
Semper debeatis percutis ictu primo
Access my "Allies" and "Mark Winters, CID" book series at:
https://sites.google.com/view/wolfriedel
Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/WolfRiedelAuthor/

Offline Donald H

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #655 on: August 24, 2020, 12:48:43 »
The question isn't "why does he believe that CEWS eligibility needs to be adjusted to include his interests". The answer is right there in the question. MPAC didn't qualify under CEWS and Silver wanted it changed so that it does. That's just pure self interest which ordinarily isn't an issue. Most businesses want that.

The question really is: was Silver using his status as Telford's husband to get greater access to government than an ordinary business would get? Morneau's office's rejection is an appropriate response, however, one is left with the nagging feeling that Silver's approaches in this respect were perhaps more successful at getting at the seats of power because of his relationship with Telford. I doubt if we'll ever know the truth behind that and I don't think that the answer to the questions that you are asking will ever get us any closer to knowing the truth.

I'm not a fan of the Liberals for exactly this reason. I think that their power base comes from a network of relationships that is constantly looking at getting a handout or a leg up from the folks in office at the expense of the country as a whole and/or competitors in general. There are simply too many back-door friendships with the Liberals that result in sweetheart deals and my spidey senses start to tingle every time one of these situations comes up.

:worms:

I hear your position and I feel no incentive to belabour this one any further. The only question remaining is on how the NP story plays out politically and I've already covered that, in my opinion.

:cheers:
~Mark Twain.

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #656 on: August 28, 2020, 00:19:13 »
I wonder if they'll have a website you can scroll through and "add to cart".

Ottawa creating ‘inventory’ of racial minorities to fill senior public service posts
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-ottawa-creating-inventory-of-racial-minorities-to-fill-senior-public/

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #657 on: August 29, 2020, 10:57:14 »

Ottawa creating ‘inventory’ of racial minorities to fill senior public service posts
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-ottawa-creating-inventory-of-racial-minorities-to-fill-senior-public/

OK, now that's creepy. Really creepy.

Will they be expected to wear unique designators, in the form of high visibility patches on their outer clothing too so that, you know, we can identify them for proper sorting?  :sarcasm:
“To stand on the firing parapet and expose yourself to danger; to stand and fight a thousand miles from home when you're all alone and outnumbered and probably beaten; to spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary.”
— Jerry Pournelle —

Offline YZT580

• Rate Post
« Reply #658 on: August 29, 2020, 11:17:44 »
And they have the nerve to accuse us of racism!  I could certainly understand and endorse a system that employed cut-out techniques to eliminate any possibility of discrimination but that is not what is being proposed.  What the implication is is simply that there are minority groups that cannot compete fairly because of their grouping: in other words they are less human (forgive the choice of words but I can't think of anything else that suits) than an individual of European descent with a traditional upbringing and conventional sexual proclivity.  So the most qualified (their implication, not mine) need not apply.  They are truly prejudiced and racist and homophobic!

Offline Brad Sallows

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #659 on: August 29, 2020, 13:00:00 »
They'll have binders full of diverse senior public servants.  I suppose that isn't a derogatory idea any more.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

"It is a damned heavy blow; but whining don't help."

Despair is a sin.

Offline Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • This is my son Michael, KIA Afghanistan 3 Sep 08
« Reply #660 on: August 29, 2020, 15:50:37 »
Guys you know only old white males are racist ...right?
Freedom Isn't Free   "Never Shall I Fail My Brothers"

“Do everything that is necessary and nothing that is not".

Offline shawn5o

• Rate Post
  • "We have met the enemy and he is us!" Pogo
« Reply #661 on: August 29, 2020, 16:52:22 »

Does that mean seperate washrooms, drinking fountains, ? Just kidding ;)
“We can't all be heroes because somebody has to sit on the curb and clap as they go by.” ― Will Rogers

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #662 on: August 31, 2020, 16:29:13 »
Feds 'looking into' alleged bullying by RCMP employee facing security charges
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/feds-looking-into-alleged-bullying-by-rcmp-employee-facing-security-charges/ar-BB18yEdg

Corruption and bullying is synonymous with the LPC.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Keep 'em rolling.
    • The job.
« Reply #663 on: August 31, 2020, 17:02:17 »

Maybe they will be voted out in the next election.
In any war, there are two tremendous tasks. That of the combat troops is to fight the enemy. That of the supply troops is to furnish all the material to insure victory. The faster and farther the combat troops advance against the foe, the greater becomes the battle of supply. EISENHOWER

Offline GR66

• Rate Post
« Reply #664 on: August 31, 2020, 17:10:18 »
Feds 'looking into' alleged bullying by RCMP employee facing security charges
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/feds-looking-into-alleged-bullying-by-rcmp-employee-facing-security-charges/ar-BB18yEdg

I'm quite happy to rail against the Liberal Party and their corrupt practices, but how exactly do harassment complaints by RCMP employees against their supervisor imply corruption and bullying by the LPC?  Sounds like more of the ongoing management issues with the Mounties than anything Liberal related.

Offline Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #665 on: August 31, 2020, 17:31:21 »
Yeah, I’m not sure what the link is with the LPC is.

The guy was a known a hole.  Good riddance.
Optio

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #666 on: August 31, 2020, 17:42:36 »
I'm quite happy to rail against the Liberal Party and their corrupt practices, but how exactly do harassment complaints by RCMP employees against their supervisor imply corruption and bullying by the LPC?  Sounds like more of the ongoing management issues with the Mounties than anything Liberal related.

The LPC appear to have a culture of corruption and bullying. RCMP answer to the government.

Does anyone think Doug Ford had no idea what kind of crap was going down in nursing homes? Or did the nursing home owners have an idea what they could get away with. I think the same principal applies.

Offline PMedMoe

is retired and loving it!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #667 on: August 31, 2020, 17:56:08 »
The LPC appear to have a culture of corruption and bullying.

RCMP answer to the government.

If it were the CPC in charge, would you say the same thing?

Seems like a pretty broad brush to me.
"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving".
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #668 on: August 31, 2020, 18:07:37 »

If it were the CPC in charge, would you say the same thing?

Seems like a pretty broad brush to me.

I would yes.

I was against Bill C-51 because I felt it crossed privacy lines and I didn't trust the conservatives not to abuse it.
I also think the Conservatives courted firearm owners (big issue for me) and basically ****ed them off when it was convenient (some would say they did the same to the CAF).

But it's not the conservative prime minister getting hit with ethical violation after ethical violation and what seems like corruption in the party. WE scandal, SNC and so on.

Would you say the LPC doesn't have bullying issues?

I'll add a couple examples of where my heads at (no not up my *** :) ) with the RCMP and Liberal vs Conservative.

Conservatives cancel the long gun registry and tell the RCMP to delete the information. The RCMP disobey that order and keep the records and then use it to track down firearms during the red river floods.
RCMP tries to prohibit a few guns (SWISS ARMS) and the Conservatives get involved and stop it.

LPC use a mass shooting and pandemic to smash through gun bans. RCMP eagerly ban more guns over the following two weeks that weren't on the original list.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 18:20:54 by Jarnhamar »

Offline PMedMoe

is retired and loving it!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #669 on: August 31, 2020, 19:02:27 »
I would say all political parties have bullying issues.
"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving".
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #670 on: September 02, 2020, 12:24:44 »
Documents prove federal youth minister, not public service, drove hiring of WE Charity: NDP

NDP ethics critic Charlie Angus levelled the charge against Bardish Chagger, alleging the documents directly contradict the Liberals’ version of events

https://nationalpost.com/news/politics/ndp-says-documents-prove-youth-minister-played-key-role-in-we-controversy/wcm/c2461a7e-41d2-4346-b48c-4dab170543fb/

Someone in the current government being liberal with the truth? 

Offline shawn5o

• Rate Post
  • "We have met the enemy and he is us!" Pogo
« Reply #671 on: September 02, 2020, 13:27:01 »
I don't know if this was brought up before.

Trudeau cautions against extremism in John A. Macdonald statue debate

The Globe and Mail
Bill Curry

OTTAWA
PUBLISHED 2 DAYS AGO

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politics/article-trudeau-cautions-against-extremism-in-john-a-macdonald-statue-debate/

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau cautioned against extremism in the political debate over historical figures such as Sir John A. Macdonald as the country works to address systemic racism in government institutions.

Speaking Monday in Montreal, where protesters toppled a statue of Canada’s first prime minister during a rally Saturday, Mr. Trudeau said vandalism is not the answer and that he was “deeply disappointed” by what had happened. He also said strong reactions driven by outrage are not a responsible way to move forward.

“We’ve seen, following that, people on either side of the spectrum trying to use these elements as a way of furthering debates,” he said, adding later in French: “I think that we’re seeing, particularly on the extreme right, that they’re trying to start culture wars and divide Canadians on issues such as that.”

He did not name anyone in particular.

Article

I believe that was a stupid comment by the PM as the so-culture wars and division seem to be coming mostly from the far-left
“We can't all be heroes because somebody has to sit on the curb and clap as they go by.” ― Will Rogers

Online Target Up

........pull, patch, and score.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • that's how we roll in redneck land
« Reply #672 on: September 02, 2020, 16:27:22 »
I don't know if this was brought up before.

Trudeau cautions against extremism in John A. Macdonald statue debate

The Globe and Mail
Bill Curry

OTTAWA
PUBLISHED 2 DAYS AGO

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politics/article-trudeau-cautions-against-extremism-in-john-a-macdonald-statue-debate/

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau cautioned against extremism in the political debate over historical figures such as Sir John A. Macdonald as the country works to address systemic racism in government institutions.

Speaking Monday in Montreal, where protesters toppled a statue of Canada’s first prime minister during a rally Saturday, Mr. Trudeau said vandalism is not the answer and that he was “deeply disappointed” by what had happened. He also said strong reactions driven by outrage are not a responsible way to move forward.

“We’ve seen, following that, people on either side of the spectrum trying to use these elements as a way of furthering debates,” he said, adding later in French: “I think that we’re seeing, particularly on the extreme right, that they’re trying to start culture wars and divide Canadians on issues such as that.”

He did not name anyone in particular.

Article

I believe that was a stupid comment by the PM as the so-culture wars and division seem to be coming mostly from the far-left

His daddy's statue got a facial and it was a hate crime. Our first Prime Minister gets dumped and his head falls off and it's disappointing. And the right is the problem. Quelle Surprise.
Apparently, a "USUAL SUSPECT"

“In peace there's nothing so becomes a man as modest stillness and humility; but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger; stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with hard-favor'd rage.”

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats

Offline Donald H

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #673 on: September 02, 2020, 16:49:27 »

His daddy's statue got a facial and it was a hate crime. Our first Prime Minister gets dumped and his head falls off and it's disappointing. And the right is the problem. Quelle Surprise.

Unfortunately our John A. was suppportive of the pro-slavery side in the US civil war, which could have had something to do with his head rolling. And he 'was' a conservative!

Not to suggest that Canadians should get into copying Americans on taking down monuments.
~Mark Twain.

Online Target Up

........pull, patch, and score.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • that's how we roll in redneck land
« Reply #674 on: September 02, 2020, 16:54:15 »
Unfortunately our John A. was suppportive of the pro-slavery side in the US civil war, which could have had something to do with his head rolling. And he 'was' a conservative!

Not to suggest that Canadians should get into copying Americans on taking down monuments.

Looking at 200 year old events with a 21st century lens is a mugs game, full stop. It's possible your G pa or G ma might have dropped a "N" bomb from time to time back when, especially if your from an east coast city that either rhymes with kidney or kallifax. Better pull all their pics out of the family albums and burn them, then go kick over their headstones, just to be on the safe side. It's ******* stupid.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 16:59:13 by Target Up »
Apparently, a "USUAL SUSPECT"

“In peace there's nothing so becomes a man as modest stillness and humility; but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger; stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with hard-favor'd rage.”

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats