Author Topic: General Election: Oct 21, 2019  (Read 50307 times)

Offline Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: General Election: Oct 21, 2019
« Reply #525 on: October 16, 2019, 14:41:47 »
I suppose my issue stems from the PM sending his family away because there was a threat, but the public not knowing about the threat. I get not releasing specifics, but I think it's wrong to place the public at risk just to make a "show of force".

We also don't have the details.  What if the threat was "If I see you and your wife I'll..." or was it "If I can't get to you I can get to her or your kids at the event"

We don't have all the facts.  Maybe the RCMP recommended that they minimise the threat so they could focus on just him rather that two people.  These types of protective details in public spaces are complex.

Maybe the threat came from someone or some group that the RCMP are aware of already.

None of this is in a vacuum. 

But like everyone else not in though, I don't know what happened or how they decided to go ahead. We don't really know if there was a risk to the public.  The PM is a high risk individual.  More so for this one that has garnered celebrity status.  There will always be a risk when he goes out in public. 
Optio

Offline AbdullahD

update status.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #526 on: October 16, 2019, 15:32:36 »
Some pretty sound counter points.

Guess I figured if the PMO would try to intimidate and bully the attorney general into doing what the PMO wanted anything was possible.
But maybe it wasn't a conspiracy, this time :)

I'm just pretty pumped that it looks like I probably won't have my property confiscated.

Hey Jarnhamar, I am in the process of buying properties in the USA for rental investments.

If for whatever reason this ban does come in to affect. I will take one of my places off the market and use it to legally store my firearms south of the border.

Let me know if you need to rent a room.

We also don't have the details.  What if the threat was "If I see you and your wife I'll..." or was it "If I can't get to you I can get to her or your kids at the event"

We don't have all the facts.  Maybe the RCMP recommended that they minimise the threat so they could focus on just him rather that two people.  These types of protective details in public spaces are complex.

Maybe the threat came from someone or some group that the RCMP are aware of already.

None of this is in a vacuum. 

But like everyone else not in though, I don't know what happened or how they decided to go ahead. We don't really know if there was a risk to the public.  The PM is a high risk individual.  More so for this one that has garnered celebrity status.  There will always be a risk when he goes out in public. 

I have to agree with you, I have no issue with the PM protecting himself and his family and I doubt this is a conspiracy.  As much as I dislike his platform, some of his antics etc he is still our leader and deserves our protection as such, especially his family.

If I was in his position, I'd possibly do the same.. someone coming to kill me.. even without threats to my family.. get them the hell away. If it turns out to be credible or does happen or what not, why risk the family? Nothing is clean these days.

Abdullah

Offline stellarpanther

• Rate Post
« Reply #527 on: October 16, 2019, 15:39:08 »
This was posted a short time ago on Twitter from Obama.  I'm curious to see if this will help Trudeau.  Elections Canada when asked has already said this is not interfer

I was proud to work with Justin Trudeau as President. He's a hard-working, effective leader who takes on big issues like climate change. The world needs his progressive leadership now, and I hope our neighbors to the north support him for another term.

Online Cloud Cover

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #528 on: October 16, 2019, 15:39:20 »
I sincerely think United States of America’s President Obama is an intelligent man who did much good during his time in office. The guy that he’s suddenly endorsing in the last days of a foreign election, I can’t say the same: https://election.ctvnews.ca/mobile/obama-weighs-in-on-canada-s-federal-election-backs-trudeau-1.4641296
Living the lean life

Online milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
« Reply #529 on: October 16, 2019, 16:03:21 »
Usual caveats about info-machine statements, but this is what the CBC is now saying about their Team Blue litigation - and yes, other parties have been dinged in the past ...
... During the 2015 election campaign, several parties used CBC/Radio-Canada content, including footage of our journalists, in partisan advertising. We sent cease and desist letters to the Liberal Party and the NDP and they complied. When the Conservative Party and the Broadbent Institute* refused to comply with requests that they remove the material, we launched legal action against both organizations, on behalf of CBC/Radio-Canada and the specific journalists affected. Both organizations ultimately settled the court action by agreeing to remove the unauthorized material. Their settlement came after the ads had served their intended purpose and before the Court had issued its decision. Without a court ruling this left the door open to a repeat of that behaviour in this election ...
Lots more tea leaves to read @ link.

So, it's #TheySueTeamBlueAgain or #GoodForTheGooseWasGoodForTheGander - your pick  ;D

* - I colour these guys orange mainly because Broadbent used to be captain of Team Orange in a previous life.  Some might say they're orange, some might say red, but they sure ain't blue.
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline QV

• Rate Post
« Reply #530 on: October 16, 2019, 16:11:51 »
I sincerely think United States of America’s President Obama is an intelligent man who did much good during his time in office. The guy that he’s suddenly endorsing in the last days of a foreign election, I can’t say the same: https://election.ctvnews.ca/mobile/obama-weighs-in-on-canada-s-federal-election-backs-trudeau-1.4641296

The very fact he is endorsing someone like Trudeau only confirms my thoughts on him, his presidency, and his former hangers on.  But, yes I agree that he is intelligent.

Online milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #531 on: October 16, 2019, 16:17:26 »
This was posted a short time ago on Twitter from Obama.  I'm curious to see if this will help Trudeau.  Elections Canada when asked has already said this is not interfer

I was proud to work with Justin Trudeau as President. He's a hard-working, effective leader who takes on big issues like climate change. The world needs his progressive leadership now, and I hope our neighbors to the north support him for another term.
Aaaaaaaaaand it didn't take The Beaverton long ...
"Update: Canadians lucky US Presidential endorsement of Canadian political leader didn’t involve drone strikes"

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline stellarpanther

• Rate Post
« Reply #532 on: October 16, 2019, 16:35:12 »

Online Cloud Cover

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #533 on: October 16, 2019, 16:36:02 »
And here is one of the “hangers on” adding his support:

https://twitter.com/BruceAHeyman/status/1184532114831740928?s=20
Living the lean life

Offline ModlrMike

: Riding time again... woohooo!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
« Reply #534 on: October 16, 2019, 16:38:28 »
We were talking about the election at work last night, and we hit upon a few demographics that seem to be overlooked by the analysts:

1. youth voters - now that MJ has been approved, is there anything on the table that will compel them to come out like they did last time?

2. swing voters - those that voted for JT in 2015, but may now be more likely to return to their traditional patterns;

3. blue liberals/red torries - those that find the prospect of a LPC - NDP minority too far left for their tastes; and

4. quiet conservatives - voters who are reluctant to reveal their allegiance, who are fearful of professional repercussions if they do so. The same "basket of deplorables" that came out in support of DT and turned the polls upside down.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 19:04:17 by ModlrMike »
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #535 on: October 16, 2019, 16:55:33 »
I can't believe I never heard of that site before... There's some funny stuff in there especially this one.

https://www.thebeaverton.com/2019/10/putin-impressed-canadian-voters-dont-need-help-spreading-disinformation/

This one is pretty good too.

https://www.thebeaverton.com/2019/09/trudeau-wondering-how-long-until-its-cool-for-him-to-do-blackface-again/

Just great to see Obama in the news. We're just missing Clinton.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 17:03:44 by Jarnhamar »
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #536 on: October 16, 2019, 17:12:19 »
1. youth voters - now that MJ has been approved, is there anything on the table that will compel them to come out like they did last time?

According to Ipsos, of those "completely certain to vote", males 55+ take the lead at 82%.

Males 18-34 at 43% and females 18-34 at 48%.

Ipsos notes a "Significant Gender Gap in Voting Intentions Among Younger Canadians" as to which party they will be voting for,

Females 18-34 LPC 35%, NDP 27%, CPC 24%.

Males 18-34 LPC 35%, CPC 31%, NDP 16%
https://www.ipsos.com/en-ca/news-polls/Significant-Gender-Gap-in-Voting-Intentions-Among-Younger-Canadians

Edit to add

Dear young people, "Don't Vote" ( satire ).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0e9guhV35o

« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 17:40:44 by mariomike »

Offline Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #537 on: October 16, 2019, 17:28:03 »
Latest poll tracker is out and the Liberals see major drop in seat projection. 

https://newsinteractives.cbc.ca/elections/poll-tracker/canada/

Note the NDP goes up almost a point per day.  If the trend continues they could be up 5 more points before the election is decided.  Might not translate to seats but it may split the vote even more in favour of the CPC.

Optio

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #538 on: October 16, 2019, 17:39:05 »
Quote from: ModlrMike

4. quiet conservatives - voters who are reluctant to reveal their allegiance, who are fearful of professional repercussions if they do so. The same "basket of deplorables" that came out in support of DT and turned to polls upside down.

This actually might be a significant number. The penchant to treat anyone conservative like they're some kind of racist Nazi might backfire and we see the deplorable-effect come election day.

Offline dapaterson

Mostly Harmless.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #539 on: October 16, 2019, 17:42:23 »
Latest poll tracker is out and the Liberals see major drop in seat projection. 

https://newsinteractives.cbc.ca/elections/poll-tracker/canada/

Note the NDP goes up almost a point per day.  If the trend continues they could be up 5 more points before the election is decided.  Might not translate to seats but it may split the vote even more in favour of the CPC.

Hmm.. the potential outcomes only add up to 99%.  I guess that means a 1% chance of Kang and Kodos invading and taking over.

At this point, I'm not sure that would be a bad thing...

This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline SeaKingTacco

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Door Gunnery- The Sport of Kings!
« Reply #540 on: October 16, 2019, 17:45:44 »
Hmm.. the potential outcomes only add up to 99%.  I guess that means a 1% chance of Kang and Kodos invading and taking over.

At this point, I'm not sure that would be a bad thing...

I, for one, salute our new alien overlords...

Online milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #542 on: October 16, 2019, 18:08:16 »
... with a quick follow-up:  "Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer has been let down by his fellow American, Barack Obama, after he opted to endorse Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau in a tweet ..."

Regarding the above,

Global News

October 16, 2019

Scheer won’t explain travel to America as citizen without valid U.S. passport
https://globalnews.ca/news/6037999/scheer-us-travel-us-passport/
Multiple requests to the party for an explanation have been ignored over the last 11 days.

I can't believe I never heard of that site before... There's some funny stuff in there especially this one.

https://www.thebeaverton.com/2019/10/putin-impressed-canadian-voters-dont-need-help-spreading-disinformation/

Putin impressed Canadian voters don’t need help spreading disinformation

:)

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #543 on: October 16, 2019, 19:44:45 »
Liberals - Conservatives running 'dirtiest' campaign ever!

Also Liberals - https://globalnews.ca/news/6039611/liberals-post-video-of-scheer-sitting-during-o-canada-tory-leader-says-they-politicized-anthem/

Global News asked the Liberal Party why it released the video of Scheer on Wednesday and while simultaneously accusing the Tories of divisive campaign tactics.

A Liberal Party spokesperson provided a brief statement in response but did not directly answer the questions.

Double standard is wine of communion with the LPC.

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
« Reply #544 on: October 16, 2019, 20:26:44 »
I can’t wait for this gong show to be over.
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline AbdullahD

update status.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #545 on: October 16, 2019, 22:50:38 »
I can’t wait for this gong show to be over.

Sometimes I wonder if dictators are really so bad hahaha

Offline dapaterson

Mostly Harmless.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #546 on: October 16, 2019, 23:01:44 »
Many forms of Government have been tried, and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed it has been said that democracy is the worst form of Government except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.…

Winston S Churchill, 11 November 1947
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Online Cloud Cover

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #547 on: October 16, 2019, 23:04:32 »
If the voting really turns out to be this divided on the left and by some miracle the Conservatives end up forming a government, it had better be a majority otherwise we will be right back at this in less than 6 months.
Living the lean life

Offline ballz

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #548 on: October 16, 2019, 23:19:56 »
If the voting really turns out to be this divided on the left and by some miracle the Conservatives end up forming a government, it had better be a majority otherwise we will be right back at this in less than 6 months.

I'd be happy with that as long as the Liberals and Conservatives replace their leader.

I'm also happy if we get a government that can't pass any legislation / effect any changes, would probably be the best government ever.
Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?

Offline Halifax Tar

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ready Aye Ready
« Reply #549 on: October 17, 2019, 05:07:45 »
My memory tells me those who cause the fall of a minority Gov often end up outside official party status.
Lead me, follow me or get the hell out of my way