Author Topic: The US Presidency 2019  (Read 88818 times)

Offline Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: The US Presidency 2019
« Reply #750 on: October 03, 2019, 14:10:10 »
Are you saying this entire impeachment show is political? On another note, if the "impeachment inquiry" were not happening CNN would be out of business. Live Updates? Sounds very good for business.

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/trump-impeachment-inquiry-10-03-2019/index.html

He's saying the republicans will never vote for it in the Senate.  Congress will but it won't go further as the Rep will not.  Impeachment is a political process so, yes it is political.
Optio

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #751 on: October 03, 2019, 14:20:57 »
He's saying the republicans will never vote for it in the Senate. 

BINGO

Online kkwd

• Rate Post
« Reply #752 on: October 03, 2019, 14:26:36 »
He's saying the republicans will never vote for it in the Senate.  Congress will but it won't go further as the Rep will not.  Impeachment is a political process so, yes it is political.

Nobody has seen charges or evidence to back it up yet. There are some concerns that republicans are not getting a fair shake in the impeachment inquiry process. They were limited in questioning of Kurt Volker today.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/mccarthy-criticizes-pelosis-recklessness-asks-house-speaker-to-halt-impeachment-inquiry
McCarthy’s reference to limiting Republican participation is a reference to reports that House Intelligence Committee Chairman Adam Schiff, D-Calif., was limiting Republicans' ability to ask questions during Thursday’s testimony by former U.S. envoy for Ukraine Kurt Volker.

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/464224-mccarthy-calls-on-pelosi-to-suspend-impeachment-inquiry
”If those words are taken to be sincere, the American people deserve assurance that basic standards of due process will be present,” he said.

“Given the enormity of the question at hand – the removal of a duly-elected sitting president – anything less than a thorough, transparent, and fair process would represent a supreme insult to our Constitution and the millions of Americans who rely on their voices being heard through our democratic system of government.”

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/mccarthy-calls-pelosi-suspend-impeachment-inquiry-n1061981
I like beer.

Online kkwd

• Rate Post
« Reply #753 on: October 03, 2019, 14:32:43 »
BINGO

Have you seen the charges written out and the supporting evidence?
I like beer.

Offline QV

• Rate Post

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #755 on: October 03, 2019, 14:56:21 »
Fake news

The Fake News is working overtime. Just reported that, despite the tremendous success we are having with the economy & all things else, 91% of the Network News about me is negative (Fake). Why do we work so hard in working with the media when it is corrupt? Take away credentials?
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/994179864436596736

Negative news is fake news. Fake news is negative news.

Offline Brad Sallows

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #756 on: October 03, 2019, 16:23:28 »
"at least Mueller & Co. were allowed to finish" is a factual statement; I'm 100% certain the investigation concluded and the report was delivered to the AG.  Whatever Trump might have wished otherwise, he either didn't really mean to pursue or his staff clearly managed to block.  Meanwhile in the Canadian PMO, staff and the Liberal politicians are along for the ride to try and squeeze out a special fix for SNC-Lavalin and block investigations.  If for a second you can ignore Trump's clownish and boorish behaviour so that it doesn't sway your perception, the contrast is profound.

The "impeachment" is wholly a political show; think of it as the centre ring in the ongoing circus of efforts to overturn the 2016 election and hamstring the administration.  Pretty much every time the Democrats are invited to take concrete steps following customary impeachment procedures, they put off doing anything that might degrade their political power and opportunities.  They want to talk about impeachment and anything else which comes along for political advantage; they don't want to risk pissing off voters by following through.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

"It is a damned heavy blow; but whining don't help."

Despair is a sin.

Offline FJAG

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ex Gladio Justicia
    • Google Sites Wolf Riedel
« Reply #757 on: October 03, 2019, 16:36:54 »
... despite the tremendous success we are having with the economy  ...

The Dow has lost more than 700 points since Tuesday. But that's not the full story
Anneken Tappe
By Anneken Tappe, CNN Business
Updated 4:27 PM ET, Thu October 3, 2019

New York (CNN Business)The Dow and the broader stock market had another volatile day Thursday, as traders came to grips with another damaging economic report and rising odds of a Federal Reserve interest cut this month.

But after two days of decline, the Dow (INDU) closed up more than 120 points, or 0.5%, higher. Since Tuesday, the index has fallen more than 700 points.

The S&P 500 (SPX) climbed 0.8%, and the Nasdaq Composite (COMP) finished up 1.1%.

Stocks have tumbled over the past days, on worse-than-expected economic data and worries that the US manufacturing sector's problems could be spilling over to other parts of the American economy.

On Thursday, the Institute of Supply Management on Thursday reported worse-than-expected growth for the US services sector.
That initially spooked markets for the third straight day. Stocks turned sharply lower following the closely watched report, with the Dow falling as much as 335 points at its lowest point.

But stocks rallied back, recovering their losses by midday, as investors' hopes of a Fed rate cut increased dramatically. Expectations for a quarter-percentage-point interest-rate cut by the Federal Reserve jumped above 90%, compared to 77% on Wednesday and less than 50% last week, according to the CME FedWatch Tool.

Another reason stocks bounced back may be that "we went a little too far, too fast," and investors might be buying the dip, said Tom Kennedy, head trader and portfolio analyst at New England Investment & Retirement Group.

Signs that the US economy is slowing could trigger a series of rate cuts or other forms of stimulus from the central bank. That typically helps boost markets, although bad news isn't always good news: Lower interest rates are good for stocks, but the environment that tends to necessitate monetary easing usually isn't.

The manufacturing sector has contracted for two straight months, hurt by the ongoing trade war with China and slowing global demand. But the services sector is by far the largest American industry. Although still growing, it is just barely expanding, according to ISM: The non-manufacturing index for September fell to 52.6, compared with 55 expected. A reading above 50 indicates growth.

"Global manufacturing is facing plenty of of headwinds and now, that is spilling over into services," wrote Jennifer Lee, senior economist at BMO.

Prices largely remained in check: Markit's services inflation index was in line with expectations at 50.9.

"And the various services sectors will feel the hit even more once the new tariffs on European goods kick in on October 18th," Lee said.

The United States plans to impose import tariffs on $7.5 billion worth of European-made goods as soon as October 18. The new tariffs follow a ruling against the European Union by the World Trade Organization, saying that Airbus was improperly subsidized.

Investors will also be particularly attuned to Friday's jobs report. So far, US consumers have kept the economy growing in part thanks to a strong jobs market. Investors are now nervously looking for cracks in that foundation.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/03/investing/dow-stock-market-today/index.html

:brickwall:
Illegitimi non carborundum
Semper debeatis percutis ictu primo
Access my "Allies" and "Mark Winters, CID" book series at:
https://sites.google.com/view/wolfriedel
Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/WolfRiedelAuthor/

Online Retired AF Guy

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #758 on: October 03, 2019, 19:16:26 »
Are you saying this entire impeachment show is political?

Of course its political; it all takes place in Congress between the House and the Senate.
"Leave one wolf alive, and the sheep are never safe."

Arya Stark

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -7245.

• "Some people will only like you if you fit inside their box. Don't be afraid to shove that box up their ass."
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #759 on: October 03, 2019, 21:07:40 »
If they ever manage to find a way to make it stick, it'll never pass the Senate anyway.
Corruption in politics doesn't scare me.
What scares me is how comfortable people are doing nothing about it.

Online tomahawk6

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #760 on: October 03, 2019, 23:54:46 »
The Dem's control the House which is where an impeachment vote must originate with a majority vote. The Dem's tried this 3 times and failed to get enough votes. This time they might pull it off but probably dont have the votes in the Senate. Clinton was impeached in the House but fell short of conviction in the Democrat controlled Senate. This will probably see Trump re-elected and hopefully the Republicans will retake the House.

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #761 on: October 04, 2019, 09:20:17 »
Regardless of whether or not Trump is impeached, there is a growing knock-on effect of Trump's behaviours. 
I've posted an article from the current issue of Foreign Affairs  in the Articles and Large Posts board, here.

Some highlights:
Last week’s revelation that Donald Trump pressured Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky to investigate former Vice President Joe Biden was explosive even by the standards of this scandal-prone administration. Had the president of the United States conditioned the restoration of military aid to Ukraine on his counterpart’s willingness to investigate a political rival—a quid pro quo that is all but explicit in the record of the Trump-Zelensky call released by the White House? Much has been made since of Trump’s demand as an abuse of presidential power. But it was also an abuse of American power—and that, in the long run, may do more lasting damage.

Being in this position is a privilege—one that allows Washington to shape a world favorable to American interests—but it is neither an entitlement nor a simple function of military and economic might. Because the United States has generally used its coercive power in a disciplined fashion (with a few notable exceptions), it has experienced less international resistance than one might expect. But partners and rivals alike will continue such cooperation with Washington only as long as it wields its authority with subtlety and quickly corrects its excesses. Trump, in his phone call with Zelensky, blatantly tossed that principle aside and used the United States’ power to advance his own political interests—a usurpation of foreign policy that has lasting consequences for the United States.

It is difficult to overstate the extent to which the Trump administration contorted U.S. foreign policy to pressure Ukraine. A set of studious national security processes was subverted for personal gain, with the resources of the State Department, including the secretary of state himself, engaged to execute extortion and subsequently bury it. A veteran career ambassador was undermined, recalled, and threatened. Intelligence capacities tasked with protecting the nation’s closest-held national security secrets were used to execute multiple cover-ups. Inspired though they were, the founders failed to envision a world in which the president himself was the national security threat.
It should now be obvious that running a country is NOT an entry-level job.  [Yes, it applies to both sides of our border]

Online Good2Golf

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Dammit! I lost my sand-wedge on that last jump!
« Reply #762 on: October 04, 2019, 09:38:21 »
Thanks JM!  An insightful piece that hopefully doesn't represent the portent of American hegemonic withering.

Regards
G2G

Offline Brad Sallows

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #763 on: October 04, 2019, 12:37:59 »
"a quid pro quo that is all but explicit in the record of the Trump-Zelensky call released by the White House? Much has been made since of Trump’s demand as an abuse of presidential power."

What quid pro quo?  Endless repeated assertion isn't proof.  I've read the telcon memo.  The part that is supposed to be "proof" is a vague ink blot.

"Trump, in his phone call with Zelensky, blatantly tossed that principle aside and used the United States’ power to advance his own political interests"

Another ink blot.  The file on everything that happened in 2016 is closed just because Democrats didn't get the results they wanted from Mueller's investigation?  Anything that happens to align with an advantage for Trump or a disadvantage for a Democrat is off limits?  Won't wash.  There are questions to be answered and improprieties to be investigated.  Any custom that an opposition candidate for president is somehow exempt from burrowing by the incumbent administration was already extinguished.

Another memorable ink blot (Snopes's take):

As he was leaning toward Medvedev in Seoul, Obama was overheard asking for time — “particularly with missile defense” — until he is in a better position politically to resolve such issues.

“I understand your message about space,” replied Medvedev, who will hand over the presidency to Putin in May.

“This is my last election … After my election I have more flexibility,” Obama said, expressing confidence that he would win a second term.

“I will transmit this information to Vladimir,” said Medvedev, Putin’s protégé and long considered number two in Moscow’s power structure.

Trump might be in the wrong here; more detail will certainly emerge to prove/disprove whatever people think they are seeing.  But, this is all hardball politics, so the principle of "you go first" applies.  The Democratic machine must show good faith and do the right thing when it is the one which will lose political advantage.  (At this point it will have to do several right things.)  This endless "heads we win, tails you lose" circus is part of what put Trump in office.

Despair is a sin.

Offline Cloud Cover

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Living the lean life

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Baden Guy

Full Member.

• Question everything. Learn something. Answer nothing.
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #766 on: October 04, 2019, 17:29:26 »
A really well written column from the New York Times.

Why Trump Voters Stick With Him
An imagined conversation with Flyover Man.
Urban Guy: I hope you read the rough transcript of that Trump phone call with the Ukrainian president. Trump clearly used public power to ask a foreign leader to dig up dirt on his political opponent. This is impeachable. I don’t see how you can deny the facts in front of your face.

Flyover Man: I haven’t really had time to look into it. There’s always some fight between Trump and the East Coast media. I guess I just try to stay focused on the big picture.

The big picture is this: We knew this guy was a snake when we signed up. But he was the only one who saw us. He was the only one who saw that the America we love is being transformed in front of our eyes. Good jobs for hard-working people were gone. Our communities in tatters. Our kids in trouble. I had one shot at change, so I made a deal with the devil, and you’d have made it, too.

Nothing in this impeachment mess makes me rethink this bargain. If people like you are unable to acknowledge my dignity and see my problems, I’ll stay with Trump.

More at link: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/03/opinion/trump-voters.html?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #767 on: October 04, 2019, 17:51:52 »

I found this article of interest,

Being Donald Trump: Inside the World Where Conspiracies Are Reality
https://thebulwark.com/this-is-what-reality-looks-like-from-inside-trump-world/
What reality looks like from inside Trump World.

"What if everyone is wrong? What if you and I are the crazy ones and it’s Rudy and Hannity who are seeing 20 / 20 ?"

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #768 on: October 04, 2019, 17:58:33 »

Urban Guy: I hope you read the rough transcript of that Trump phone call with the Ukrainian president. Trump clearly used public power to ask a foreign leader to dig up dirt on his political opponent. This is impeachable. I don’t see how you can deny the facts in front of your face.

Flyover Man: I haven’t really had time to look into it. There’s always some fight between Trump and the East Coast media. I guess I just try to stay focused on the big picture.

The big picture is this: We knew this guy was a snake when we signed up. But he was the only one who saw us. He was the only one who saw that the America we love is being transformed in front of our eyes. Good jobs for hard-working people were gone. Our communities in tatters. Our kids in trouble. I had one shot at change, so I made a deal with the devil, and you’d have made it, too.

Nothing in this impeachment mess makes me rethink this bargain. If people like you are unable to acknowledge my dignity and see my problems, I’ll stay with Trump.

More at link: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/03/opinion/trump-voters.html?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage

And it's the same in the UK where Brexit was a vote against the civilian equivalent of 'Chateau Generalship' as much as anything else:

In England's forgotten 'rust belt', voters show little sign of Brexit regret

KNOTTINGLEY, England (Reuters) - To Paul Green, a club steward in northern England’s ‘rust belt’, Britain is so broken that he would vote for Brexit again were he to get another chance.

Green, who runs a Miners’ Welfare Club in an area where there are no longer any working miners, says both of Britain’s main political parties have shown no interest in the Yorkshire town of Knottingley for generations.

“It’s desperate really - I feel that Knottingley is a forgotten community, and all the surrounding areas are forgotten communities as well, through lack of investment and red tape,” he said, standing in a youth boxing gym at the club.

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-voters/in-englands-forgotten-rust-belt-voters-show-little-sign-of-brexit-regret-idUSKBN1KS0VM
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline Cloud Cover

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #769 on: October 04, 2019, 18:14:36 »

Which makes me think of this by Victor David Hanson: 
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/in-america-talk-turns-to-something-unspoken-for-150-years-civil-war/2019/02/28/b3733af8-3ae4-11e9-a2cd-307b06d0257b_story.html

He won’t go peacefully. There are people, many of them, who could and would potentially fight a bloody rebellion on either side if it came in to that.
Living the lean life

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #770 on: October 04, 2019, 18:19:13 »
He won’t go peacefully.

He also has the nuclear codes.

Time to switch the MAGA baseball hats for these?  :)

See also,

Threat of possible US Civil War 
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=124515.25
3 pages.

-300 « Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 18:24:02 by mariomike »

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #771 on: October 04, 2019, 18:29:06 »
He also has the nuclear codes.

Are you suggesting Trump is going to, or is capable, of launching nuclear missiles against the United States?
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #772 on: October 04, 2019, 18:35:52 »
Are you suggesting Trump is going to, or is capable, of launching nuclear missiles against the United States?

Oh... you're good  :Tin-Foil-Hat:  :nod:
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #773 on: October 04, 2019, 18:44:08 »

That's not what I said. I don't know what goes on inside his head.

Says he is "a very stable genius". Just have to take his word for it.

For those of us old enough to remember when President Nixon was forced out of office,

The nuclear launch process once haunted Nixon’s aides.
https://www.politico.eu/article/madman-nuclear-bomb-donald-trump-kim-jong-un-north-korea/
feared that the president, who seemed depressed and was drinking heavily, might order Armageddon.

Yes, I understand the Republican senators of today will never allow him to be kicked out.

I'm a big fan of @DarthPutinKGB - well played!

Kellyanne's husband, Mr. Conway, has an amusing Twitter feed.  :)
https://twitter.com/gtconway3d

( It's not a fake / parody account. He really is her husband. That's what makes it so funny. )

He posted this as his Favorite Quote,

Favorite quote: “If we had had confidence that the president clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said so.”

He posted this yesterday,

'This Is Insane. Trump's Gotta Go.' George Conway Ramps Up Call To Oust President.

Kellyanne Conway's husband lays out long argument for Trump's removal

“You don’t need to be a mental health professional to see something’s seriously off with Trump,” Conway wrote. And it’s only getting worse under the stress of a stumbling economy and an impeachment investigation, he warned.

I mean that as in, ‘This is not normal for a functioning adult.’”

“Simply put, Trump’s ingrained and extreme behavioral characteristics make it impossible for him to carry out the duties of the presidency in the way the Constitution requires,” Conway argued.
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/10/george-conway-trump-unfit-office/599128/

-300 « Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 20:57:46 by mariomike »

Offline Brad Sallows

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #774 on: October 04, 2019, 20:54:37 »
"Favorite quote: “If we had had confidence that the president clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said so.”"

But they were tasked to find evidence that the president clearly did commit a crime.  You can't find what you're not looking for, unless you stumble across it by accident.  It's also one of my favourite quotes, but probably not for the same reasons.

I'm enjoying this whole shitshow, especially the lamentations of the (ex-?)neocons.  "I have safety concerns" is the tell of a person who has nothing substantive to argue and has resorted to hypothetical fearmongering.  What might actually happen after a close election - resistance, social unrest - will most likely not be any worse than what has already happened.

An easier way to understand what is going on is to interpret "we want to impeach Trump" as "we want to campaign against Trump".  They want to ask for documents they aren't entitled to have in order to bluster about being stonewalled, while a couple of simple procedural moves would give them the clout to issue subpoenas that real courts would uphold.  "Impeachment" without impeachment will go on until House Democrats believe they have enough political cover to not lose the House or hinder chances of taking the presidency and, maybe, the Senate.  Justice isn't on the radar.

Despair is a sin.