Author Topic: "Toronto police officer charged in Sammy Yatim shooting"  (Read 58669 times)

Offline Bruce Monkhouse

Is a pinball wizard.

• Lab Experiment #13
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • WHERE IS MY BATON?
    • http://www.canadianbands.com./home.html
Re: "Toronto police officer charged in Sammy Yatim shooting"
« Reply #75 on: August 03, 2019, 12:27:46 »
I too have been tased, awesome equipment, wish we had them. I however am NOT going to miss with my launcher [well maybe the first couple ;D] and can keep firing until he's a ball-bruised cloud of gas. I'm not talking about standing there with a can of foam...…

I'm not trying to assign blame here, its doing with what you have, [just like I'd love tasers on our tac teams, it's *stunningly stupid we don't] I'm just saying there should be more options if "they" are serious about having different outcomes.

* yes I went there. :whistle:

« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 12:43:43 by Bruce Monkhouse »
IF YOU REALLY ENJOY THIS SITE AND WISH TO CONTINUE,THEN PLEASE WIGGLE UP TO THE BAR AND BUY A SUBSCRIPTION OR SOME SWAG FROM THE MILNET.CA STORE OR IF YOU WISH TO ADVERTISE PLEASE SEND MIKE SOME DETAILS.

Everybody has a game plan until they get punched in the mouth.

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
« Reply #76 on: August 03, 2019, 13:15:22 »
I too have been tased, awesome equipment, wish we had them. I however am NOT going to miss with my launcher [well maybe the first couple ;D] and can keep firing until he's a ball-bruised cloud of gas. I'm not talking about standing there with a can of foam...…

I'm not trying to assign blame here, its doing with what you have, [just like I'd love tasers on our tac teams, it's *stunningly stupid we don't] I'm just saying there should be more options if "they" are serious about having different outcomes.

* yes I went there. :whistle:

Oh, you’re talking a pepperball launcher. Ok, I was picturing one of the big ‘riot extinguishers’. Yeah, much better stand-off with a launcher... though again there’s gotta be a plan beyond turning a criminal into a seasoned criminal... It can be a way to make things suck enough that he may quit- but could alternatively provoke a charge. Suicide by cop is one of the big risks in these things.
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #77 on: August 03, 2019, 17:07:02 »
The flaw on that is that if there’s a suspect with a knife, you’re not going to send an officer in unnecessarily close hoping he can find a button while also being alert and ready to defend himself if the suspect suddenly makes a move. You’ve put that officer dangerously close to the arcs of fire for any lethal overwatch protecting him.

For reference to the discussion,

Defence lawyer Peter Brauti, "closing the streetcar doors by flipping the switch on the outside of the vehicle was not an option for fear Yatim might commandeer the vehicle "and start ripping through Toronto with 40 tonnes of steel."
https://nowtoronto.com/news/sammy-yatim-gone-in-60-seconds/

The service brakes will be applied as long as the doors are open and the interlock  over-ride switch is off.

Not sure if that was the thinking at the time. But, the concern raised by the officer's lawyer in court about closing the doors from the outside was that with the secondary air released  , Sammy might hijack the 505 Dundas car for a wild ride through the west-end!

It's been known to happen in Toronto,

Hijacked streetcar: Members of the Metro police Emergency Task Force last night used tear gas to subdue a man who had commandeered a TTC streetcar.
https://www.torontopubliclibrary.ca/detail.jsp?Entt=RDMDC-TSPA_0121208F&R=DC-TSPA_0121208F&searchPageType=vrl

We'll have to stay tuned for the inquest.

Oh, you’re talking a pepperball launcher.

Had to look that one up.  :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRbmtL8NW6Y

Awesome!

« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 20:31:42 by mariomike »

Offline Cloud Cover

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #78 on: September 18, 2019, 18:02:46 »
James Forcillo is out on day parole, as of last month.  https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/forcillo-granted-day-parole-1.5250316

Convicted and imprisoned. Divorced and lost everything. Sued into oblivion. It’s not going to be an easy life for him going forward.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 23:54:03 by Cloud Cover »
Living the lean life

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #79 on: September 18, 2019, 18:25:30 »
James Forcillo is out on day parole, as of last month.  https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/forcillo-granted-day-parole-1.5250316

Convicted and imprisoned. Divorced and lost everything. Sued into oblivion. It’s not gong to be an easy life for him going forward.

No it will not. But it sends an important message across the profession. Actions have consequences. Know what is and isn’t OK. Police are entrusted with a very great deal of authority and discretion, and it must be wielded responsibly.
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #80 on: September 18, 2019, 18:44:45 »
Sued into oblivion.

Toronto taxpayers are on the hook for $8 million to the mother, and another $7 million to the father.

They were separated, or divorced, at the time of death, apparently.

A service delay by a Toronto paramedic crew cost City taxpayers $10 million to the "significant other" of the deceased. The crew didn't get sued, go to jail, or fired. Just a little "refresher" training.

So, I'm not surprised by the amount of the Yatim payout

And, we still have the upcoming Coroner's Inquest to look forward to,
https://news.ontario.ca/mcscs/en/2019/07/inquest-into-the-death-of-sammy-yatim-announced.html?_ga=2.39321825.312071743.1568846423-827660128.1547049475
"The inquest will examine the circumstances surrounding Mr. Yatim's death. The jury may make recommendations aimed at preventing future deaths."

« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 19:02:17 by mariomike »

Offline Cloud Cover

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #81 on: September 20, 2019, 15:44:26 »
he'll be on the hook for some of that. The TPSB does not have to indemnify him for civil suits arising out of criminal actions. But you're right, in the end it will be the city and its taxpayers that pay the tab.

Living the lean life

Offline Retired AF Guy

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #82 on: September 20, 2019, 16:12:09 »
For reference to the discussion,

The service brakes will be applied as long as the doors are open and the interlock  over-ride switch is off.

Not sure if that was the thinking at the time. But, the concern raised by the officer's lawyer in court about closing the doors from the outside was that with the secondary air released  , Sammy might hijack the 505 Dundas car for a wild ride through the west-end

Not sure if it was TO, but wasn't a police officer killed a couple of years ago when he was clipped by a snowplow that had been commandeered by someone.
"Leave one wolf alive, and the sheep are never safe."

Arya Stark

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #83 on: September 20, 2019, 16:13:50 »
he'll be on the hook for some of that. The TPSB does not have to indemnify him for civil suits arising out of criminal actions. But you're right, in the end it will be the city and its taxpayers that pay the tab.

The city/PSB and the police service itself will also probably be found separately liable. But you’re right, he kissed public indemnification goodbye as soon as he was convicted of attempted murder.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #84 on: September 20, 2019, 16:14:32 »
But you're right, in the end it will be the city and its taxpayers that pay the tab.

And, we still have the Coroner's Inquest to look forward to.  :pop:

Not sure if it was TO, but wasn't a police officer killed a couple of years ago when he was clipped by a snowplow that had been commandeered by someone.

http://www.torontopolice.on.ca/honour_roll/41

The guy got a Conditional Discharge.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/richard-kachkar-gets-conditional-discharge-1.4761285
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 16:21:21 by mariomike »