• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

AOR Replacement & the Joint Support Ship (Merged Threads)

Edit: looks less me this was done last year.

Looks like Federal Fleet is equipping Asterix with CUAS system.

This is something Federal Fleet decided to do themselves and not asked by the RCN to do. More than likely a way to keep Asterix in the news.

Call it 'value added' - we'd never get that out of the other east coast shipyard/organization.

They're protecting a company asset - makes good sense, particularly with the way we always seem to forward deploy our tanker(s).
Hope they don't put in too much stuff, what I been hearing is that Asterix will be history at some point.

Hope they don't put in too much stuff, what I been hearing is that Asterix will be history at some point.
With JSS 1 not yet in service, and JSS 1 years out, Asterix has a lot of years ahead.

The RCN would be smarter to turn a couple FFH into chipped and rusty razor blades to keep Asterix at sea than to try to keep them almost seaworthy and lose their legs.

With JSS 1 not yet in service, and JSS 1 years out, Asterix has a lot of years ahead.

The RCN would be smarter to turn a couple FFH into chipped and rusty razor blades to keep Asterix at sea than to try to keep them almost seaworthy and lose their legs.
I can very well see Asterix being sent on its way when JSS1 becomes operational. The lease for Asterix is costing the RCN a lot of money and we don't exactly have a lot of money right now.

Given there is a shortage of tankers amongst our allies, they may want to shop it around. NATO itself may think about it, or a group of countries like NATO airlift, MRTT, AWACS, AGS, etc…

Given there is a shortage of tankers amongst our allies, they may want to shop it around. NATO itself may think about it, or a group of countries like NATO airlift, MRTT, AWACS, AGS, etc…
I would say they'll have to do that if they want to continue to make money.

I can very well see Asterix being sent on its way when JSS1 becomes operational. The lease for Asterix is costing the RCN a lot of money and we don't exactly have a lot of money right now.

How much is it going to cost the RCN to maintain, crew and operate the JSS?
Kind of a pay me now or pay me later type scenario isn't it?

A NATO compatible fleet oiler with military 'experience' and some equipment - equipped with counter UAS gear? Sounds like something that any idiot would love to rent/lease.

Which is probably exactly why the RCN will attempt to divest itself.

If I had a say I would crew both JSS with civilians under the government and a small contingent of RCN.

One commissioned officer, his XO, his writer, an engineer and a security det to make sure the civilians keep the ship pointed in the right direction.

Canada really need a proper Royal Canadian Fleet Auxiliary, a more sustainable model than Fleet Services.
Why do you think all those years we had Asterix we didn't send it for HADR? Wasn't in the lease and we would have paid through the nose for it.

We don't have the personnel to crew the JSS without taking them from other priorities.

Terms of employment. The civvies prefer Fleet Services as an employer than the RCN.

seems like an organizational failure to me but I guess thats not new. Reminds me when our new owners started outsourcing everything and ended up costing twice as much for the work not including the extra time managing. Perhaps if they were required to be staffed by Reserves like in the UK?

Back