• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Worldwide Energy Crisis

Hawaii seems to be the only state where vehicle buyers have any brains…😉

Because of operating cost.

The need for a pickup bed is intermittent; cheaper to rent as needed than to own.
Depends on your lifestyle. If you're hauling the boat or trailer to the camp every or many weekends, renting would not be cheaper. It's not just the bed; one problem with most passenger cars and small SUVs is their limited towing capacity.

My compact truck gets 9 to 10 l/100km, down into the high 7s on the highway if I'm realllly gentle and not towing.

No need for towing for us, we’re both SUV people. My wife and I and a large dog did a four week trip from Ontario to BC and back this past summer and managed it just fine with her mid sized SUV. I see the reasoning for some, but definitely not for most people.

But hey, if you can afford to buy and run a truck and that’s your preference, fill your boots.

My compact truck gets 9 to 10 l/100km, down into the high 7s on the highway if I'm realllly gentle and not towing.
My Subaru Forrester gets 6 l/100 km when I'm driving the speed limit. I can haul a lot of stuff including most building supplies (except 4 x 8 plywood and drywall like I used to be able to do in my 77 Ford Country Squire.) The last time I had to get serious building supplies I rented Home Depot's van for $20.00.

Yup if you've got a boat or a travel trailer you're screwed, but the vast mass of the population doesn't have those. Half the people in my neighbourhood have pickups and yet I've only seen one actually haul anything that required a pick up. (The other half have SUVs - nary a sedan to be seen) All they do with them is drive to their office or shop. IMHO they're more a fashion trend than anything else.

;)

My Subaru Forrester gets 6 l/100 km when I'm driving the speed limit. I can haul a lot of stuff including most building supplies (except 4 x 8 plywood and drywall like I used to be able to do in my 77 Ford Country Squire.) The last time I had to get serious building supplies I rented Home Depot's van for $20.00.

Yup if you've got a boat or a travel trailer you're screwed, but the vast mass of the population doesn't have those. Half the people in my neighbourhood have pickups and yet I've only seen one actually haul anything that required a pick up. (The other half have SUVs - nary a sedan to be seen) All they do with them is drive to their office or shop. IMHO they're more a fashion trend than anything else.

;)

Speaking of Subarus ;)

Because of operating cost.

The need for a pickup bed is intermittent; cheaper to rent as needed than to own.

That's fair. I really don't think my operating costs are much worse at all though, leaving my diesel engine aside.

I'm the guy that buys tools because I want them there and ready when I need them. But I also carry an ATV, have a camper, have a construction side hustle and haul dead large game down logging roads. So I may be biased.

The modern pick up its the definition of utilitarian. It can pull, haul and carry most things the average family needs. It also gives and excellent ride and visibility while driving and even the mid range trim level models offer some great creature comforts and bells and whistles. All the while being economical for fuel consumption, especially on long drives, when you consider the capability and strength compared to a compact car or sedan.

I really don't understand why everyone doesn't have one. Especially with the range of sizes you can get now.
I dabbled in trucks for years, usually bangers that I could usually flip for what I paid, whilst the newer vehicle we had was a Civic or CRV. Since 2004 though, I’ve been a solid F150 guy for all the reasons you’ve listed above. My current 2010 with the 5.4l with no ecoboost isn’t that bad on gas. Another advantage is aftermarket options are insanely huge.

I dabbled in trucks for years, usually bangers that I could usually flip for what I paid, whilst the newer vehicle we had was a Civic or CRV. Since 2004 though, I’ve been a solid F150 guy for all the reasons you’ve listed above. My current 2010 with the 5.4l with no ecoboost isn’t that bad on gas. Another advantage is aftermarket options are insanely huge.

The 5.4L V8 Triton. Good engine. All of Ford 5L V8's have been solid engines. But like you I am a solid Ford truck guy.

That's fair. I really don't think my operating costs are much worse at all though, leaving my diesel engine aside.

I'm the guy that buys tools because I want them there and ready when I need them. But I also carry an ATV, have a camper, have a construction side hustle and haul dead large game down logging roads. So I may be biased.
Possibly. 😉 I’m happy pulling 7s/8s in a 2.5t SUV with plenty of room for 5 and plenty of room for groceries and stuff in the back and still tow 7,000+ if need be, but definitely niche.

The modern pick up its the definition of utilitarian. It can pull, haul and carry most things the average family needs. It also gives and excellent ride and visibility while driving and even the mid range trim level models offer some great creature comforts and bells and whistles. All the while being economical for fuel consumption, especially on long drives, when you consider the capability and strength compared to a compact car or sedan.

I really don't understand why everyone doesn't have one. Especially with the range of sizes you can get now.

I have two trucks parked in my driveway. My work truck which is an F250 super duty and a Toyota Tacoma TRD Offroad.

The F250 is an absolute beast of a truck. I like having it especially because I do a lot of night driving for work and the amount of moose on the highway is pretty bad (saw 12 the other night over a 4 hour period). I've seen a couple of pretty bad wrecks up here where a moose absolutely destroyed smaller cars and fell in to the windshield seriously injuring the occupants, no thank you.

My Taco is also great and I've done a lot of driving in that bad boy. It can haul any sort of recreational vehicle, has a crew cab and feel more like a sports car at times then a truck.

The 5.4L V8 Triton. Good engine. All of Ford 5L V8's have been solid engines. But like you I am a solid Ford truck guy.
It is, although I haven't done the plugs yet :p. A few months back, I had an issue with downshifting and power on climbs. Cleaned the MAF sensor for the first time and the problem went away. Cheap fix for the win!

We should have an F150 owners thread......

Owned most of them. GMC, Ford and Dodge. I like my hemi Ram though.

TBH, I’m surprised that VA’s vehicle of choice was a RAV-4 and not a Taco…I mean…really? @KevinB …back me up here, brother! 😉
Honestly you can't swing a dead cat around here without hitting a Suburban or Yukon - albeit most don't have my 6.2L V-8
But the wife's MB GLE does get much better gas mileage.
In my neighborhood, it's 90% Truck or SUV, plus 3 Minivans (and a constant point of ridicule for their owners)

It is, although I haven't done the plugs yet :p. A few months back, I had an issue with downshifting and power on climbs. Cleaned the MAF sensor for the first time and the problem went away. Cheap fix for the win!

We should have an F150 owners thread......

Im in!

Owned most of them. GMC, Ford and Dodge. I like my hemi Ram though.

The Hemi is great.. the tranny its attached too, not so much. :)

Im in!

The Hemi is great.. the tranny its attached too, not so much. :)
I don't hang on to mine very long. My last one still had the original tires and brakes when it was traded. I do mostly hauling with mine. 23' trailer @ around 3500 pounds plus two side x sides (3600 lbs) and living accommodations. So a little over 7000 lbs. I have a tow package and use the tow button to,stop excessive shifting. So far, the transmissions have held up fine. What problems have you encountered?

Back