• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

China's Vancouver consulate recruits volunteer corps, raising concerns

dimsum

Army.ca Myth
Mentor
Reaction score
China's Vancouver consulate recruits volunteer corps, raising concerns of foreign interference in city
The volunteer group was ostensibly created to assist Chinese nationals who run into legal trouble or physical danger in Canada

VANCOUVER — A recent decision by the consulate-general of the People’s Republic of China to form a corps of citizen volunteers in this city is raising concerns about improper foreign interference in Canadian affairs.

The volunteer group, whose recruits include some prominent Chinese-Canadian community leaders, was ostensibly created to assist Chinese nationals who run into legal trouble or physical danger in Canada. Being a consular volunteer is an “honour and a responsibility” and in keeping with the “watchful solidarity of the Chinese people,” says a recent posting on the consulate’s website.

But some China watchers are suspicious of the initiative.

“I believe that there’s more to the consulate’s efforts than simply training consular volunteers, and that they may be looking to enlist Chinese citizens, and even Canadians, to promote the Communist Party’s political agenda,” said David Mulroney, Canada’s former ambassador to China and a senior fellow at the University of Toronto’s Munk School of Global Affairs.

The National Post invited Chinese consular officials to explain the role of the volunteer corps and to respond to critics’ concerns. In an email, they replied: “Please refer to our official website.”

[More on link]

https://nationalpost.com/news/constructing-a-system-for-overseas-peace-chinas-vancouver-consulate-recruits-volunteer-corps-prompting-fears-of-foreign-interference

PLA North America Division  ;D

I've been watching a lot of Man In The High Castle lately, what can I say!  The New Chinese Pacific States has a nice ring to it!

Humphrey Bogart said:
PLA North America Division  ;D
You never know when China'll need "volunteers" to, say, lend moral support to things going on here - sort of like the Russian-speaking "spontaneous" protesters blocking access to UKR bases in Crimea in 2014 while the little green men dropped by & watched (source of attached screen grab @ Youtube). 

"Just looking out for fellow compatriots, don't ya know ..."

Attachments

• RUS-protesters-crimea-2014.jpg
    RUS-protesters-crimea-2014.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 136
More likely expanding the Chinese restaurant trade throughout North America , now that's an invasion that I might get behind. ;D

Thought I'd drop this in here.

What the hell happened to the Sam Cooper story on the attempt of China to influence Canadian elections? It's dropped right off the edge of the earth. Canadaland interview Cooper on the status of the story.

Thought I'd drop this in here.

What the hell happened to the Sam Cooper story on the attempt of China to influence Canadian elections? It's dropped right off the edge of the earth. Canadaland interview Cooper on the status of the story.

China didn't like the story. That's what happened.

Cooper is still digging, so there's that.

The lack of interest in a obviously authoritarian foreign government attempting to influence our internal politics is very troubling to me. That there are so many "smart" people in the decision making halls of this country who think they can control and "do business" with the like of the Chinese Communist Party is astounding. They are dealing with a group of people who have risen to the heights of power and influence with tactics that would make the Sicilian Mafia blush. We need to be very careful and hard with this group, but we appear to be the willing sheep to the slaughter.

It almost seems like everyone, including the Opposition, has dropped it.

In any other country, this would be a major scandal, names would be named and there would be investigations by law enforcement.

But I agree, I think Sam is still digging for more info.

In any other country, this would be a major scandal, names would be named and there would be investigations by law enforcement.

I suspect the CCP was smart enough to work both the LPC and CPC, so neither would want to air the dirty laundry.

Politicians aren't interested in what's best for Canada, they're interested in what's best for them.

For as long as he doesn’t fall out a window..,

I’d venture to guess that any investigation by law enforcement on this would not be visible to the general public. Foreign influence would fall under the national security mandate. I don’t think the rest of us are supposed to know if that’s happening or not.

I’d venture to guess that any investigation by law enforcement on this would not be visible to the general public. Foreign influence would fall under the national security mandate. I don’t think the rest of us are supposed to know if that’s happening or not.
Look, this is the internet. Wild conjecture and deranged ravings are OK, but stop bringing logic and reason to the discussion.

Especially after the PM's definitive (for him) statement that he was not briefed on any foreign influence on the Canadian Political process.

The director of elections said yesterday that nothing leads him to believe that there was any interference,” the PM said in French.

Especially after the PM's definitive (for him) statement that he was not briefed on any foreign influence on the Canadian Political process.

The director of elections said yesterday that nothing leads him to believe that there was any interference,” the PM said in French.
Ah yes. But as CEO Perrault also noted, that’s not his job to be interested in those types of things, it’s up to Commissioner of Canada Elections, Caroline Simard, to [investigate and ensure] compliance with both the Canada Elections Act and the Referendum Act, while Elections Canada is tasked with carrying out and overseeing federal elections.

“Elections security is a team sport,” [Perrault] said.

…and clearly the Chief Election Officer is sitting this one out on the bench.

I'm not part of law enforcement, but I'd suspect it's a bit harder to actually investigate something when there is a ton of heat and light on it.

Back