• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Great Gun Control Debate- 2.0

I once spoke to a rabid anti-gunner at a craft market my wife was working at. (He didn't like my gun club hat.)

Invasive species and predator control are the responsibility of game wardens/conservation officers not property owners, I was told. He also believed that hunting was archaic and barbaric. So, I asked him if the game wardens would be better equipped, more effective and numerous once the revenues from hunting licences and game tags was eliminated. He had no idea you needed a licence to hunt and to own a gun.

Most anti-gun people I have talked too cant articulate why they hold that position, beyond that they don't want to own firearms.

Some areas could stand to have the deer population thinned.
Most times Mother Nature will take care of the culling with starvation and disease. It won't be pretty though.
I remember in the 80's there was significant drop in the deer population.

Most times Mother Nature will take care of the culling with starvation and disease. It won't be pretty though.
I remember in the 80's there was significant drop in the deer population.

Ya the deer population is probably more affected by weather and predation than anything else.

Hear in NS, we have had a really spring like winter. Should bode well for next fall.

Can I get some stats on that ?
Not sure what the actual numbers are but that line of comparison may not be the best.

The article explains why it’s apples and oranges.

Not sure what the actual numbers are but that line of comparison may not be the best.

Throw in excessive wait times for our systems, misdiagnoses, failure to account for drug interactions and finally pure negligence. You have a hard time finding stats that combine all that, from a system that's not keen on correcting itself. So I say the medical system very likely kills more people prematurely than the 289 people in 2018 murdered by guns.

It looks like around 28'000 Canadians die each year due to medical mistakes [Canadian Patient Safety Institute (CPSI)].

It looks like around 28'000 Canadians die each year due to medical mistakes [Canadian Patient Safety Institute (CPSI)].
Again, using that example is still apples and oranges. I would prefer an argument that might be more comparable otherwise you fall into the same apple and orange arguments the gun opponents use.

I want to preface this by saying I support all lawful use of firearms. Be it hunting, sport shooting or otherwise. Do it safely, legally and have fun.

But hunting is the key, Its the facet most non gun Canadians can get behind, as a reason to own firearms. We can debate the guns needed to hunt, that's not my point. Hunting needs to leveraged to keep our foot in the door.

The problem is the pure hunters and pure sport shooters don't support each other. The Fudds and LARPers...

I do think this is changing somewhat now. With the liberals twice directly (mistakenly) listing hunting firearms on the banned list.

I think a lot of hunters were “meh” over the handguns stuff. Then when it was guns used in the woods n stuff they suddenly went “we goofed” and are now over the shock of the extent of the proposed ban.

Mark my words; crossbows and +60lb draw bows are next if this doesn’t stop soon.

Last edited:
Again, using that example is still apples and oranges. I would prefer an argument that might be more comparable otherwise you fall into the same apple and orange arguments the gun opponents use.
It looks like the study doesn't even touch Canadians numbers but sure, maybe it's not the 3rd leading cause of death on the US.

Are you refuting the 28,000 per year figure of medical mistakes costing lives in Canada?

Anti-gun proponents are quit to cite suicides as a preventable death statistic in gun deaths. Why can't I cite 28,000 preventable deaths per year when I'm looking at where money and effort is better spent?

Instead you can pay $26.87/kg for chicken breasts form Loblaws.

And those chickens don’t form any part of a toxic food industry using chemical and hormones etc…they are perfectly healthy and not being shot up with saline on the packaging line.

It looks like the study doesn't even touch Canadians numbers but sure, maybe it's not the 3rd leading cause of death on the US.

Are you refuting the 28,000 per year figure of medical mistakes costing lives in Canada?

Anti-gun proponents are quit to cite suicides as a preventable death statistic in gun deaths. Why can't I cite 28,000 preventable deaths per year when I'm looking at where money and effort is better spent?
Why would I refute the numbers? I don’t know how they came to them or the data though so I am not in a position to refute it or the source. That isn’t my point.

Do you find the suicide numbers by guns a convincing or valid argument on their part? I certainly don’t. Nor do I find the medical mistakes a good counter argument.

Do you find the suicide numbers by guns a convincing or valid argument on their part? I certainly don’t. Nor do I find the medical mistakes a good counter argument.
I find the medical mistakes number a good example when people take a "if it just saves one life" or "but suicides" approach to debating deaths with firearms. Especially when doctors like Dr Allan Drummond chime in.

I don't see people demanding the government address the issue of 77 people dying a day due to medical mistakes.

[that said that number seems incredibly high which makes me doubt the 28,000 per year,but maybe it's accurate.]

I find the medical mistakes number a good example when people take a "if it just saves one life" or "but suicides" approach to debating deaths with firearms. Especially when doctors like Dr Allan Drummond chime in.

I don't see people demanding the government address the issue of 77 people dying a day due to medical mistakes.
I think if you watch the news a bit our health care issues are the number one issue right now. Also mistakes may not all be negligent mistakes. The article I posted explains how those numbers are calculated. Not everything is negligence. Also there are 14 million hospital admissions a year, when you do the math that is like 0.002 mistakes that lead to death.
[that said that number seems incredibly high which makes me doubt the 28,000 per year,but maybe it's accurate.]
If you want to tit for tat then sure but it won’t convince anyone if that is the goal. Use real relatable data. They use suicide by firearms, it is still related to firearms. Medical mistakes are not. There is no link.

Rather take that suicide by firearms rate and compare it to our rate of gun ownership in comparison to maybe peer countries or geo political areas. There may be some correlations as well if our rate of gun ownership declines yet suicide by gun still happens. Or maybe guns are owned predominantly by men. Maybe men have a higher suicide rate in the first place. Maybe be we have a suicide problem and not a gun problem. That sort of thing.

I mean, use whatever argument you want. I just find the pro gun side not being very effective in their approach when they use arguments like medical mistake stats or dog related deaths or shark attacks or whatever.

I say this as someone who had his mind changed almost two decades ago. And it wasn’t with outbursts of anger or apple and orange comparisons that had nothing to do with it. It just took the right guy to explain it in terms that made sense and me having an open mind. I use the same approach with some people I know. I may not have convinced them but I know I have softened some of their stances with a few.

I think if you watch the news a bit our health care issues are the number one issue right now. Also mistakes may not all be negligent mistakes. The article I posted explains how those numbers are calculated. Not everything is negligence. Also there are 14 million hospital admissions a year, when you do the math that is like 0.002 mistakes that lead to death.

If you want to tit for tat then sure but it won’t convince anyone if that is the goal. Use real relatable data. They use suicide by firearms, it is still related to firearms. Medical mistakes are not. There is no link.

Rather take that suicide by firearms rate and compare it to our rate of gun ownership in comparison to maybe peer countries or geo political areas. There may be some correlations as well if our rate of gun ownership declines yet suicide by gun still happens. Or maybe guns are owned predominantly by men. Maybe men have a higher suicide rate in the first place. Maybe be we have a suicide problem and not a gun problem. That sort of thing.

I mean, use whatever argument you want. I just find the pro gun side not being very effective in their approach when they use arguments like medical mistake stats or dog related deaths or shark attacks or whatever.

I say this as someone who had his mind changed almost two decades ago. And it wasn’t with outbursts of anger or apple and orange comparisons that had nothing to do with it. It just took the right guy to explain it in terms that made sense and me having an open mind. I use the same approach with some people I know. I may not have convinced them but I know I have softened some of their stances with a few.
Suicide by firearm is a red herring. Firearms do not increase or decrease suicides. It is simply a tool some will use. When access to firearms go down, the suicide rate still stays the same, the method simply changes.

Much how the ‘firearm murder rate’ is a red herring argument. Again murder doesn’t go down the method just changes.

Suicide by firearm is a red herring. Firearms do not increase or decrease suicides. It is simply a tool some will use. When access to firearms go down, the suicide rate still stays the same, the method simply changes.

Much how the ‘firearm murder rate’ is a red herring argument. Again murder doesn’t go down the method just changes.
That was my point. Deconstruct the argument. Throwing meaningless comparisons does nothing. So if someone uses the suicide argument do what you did, who cares if medical mistakes have a higher rate of death in the context of that argument.

Back