• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Trudeau Popularity - or not. Nanos research

Count me amogst the 'don't knows' please ;)

FnKfLeFagAUvbCw
#TeamJoeWho

And it’s only 10% of respondents. The cult of Trudeau is not as strong as the CBC makes it out to be.

I was disappointed to see St. Laurent ranked so low, on par with R.B. Bennet (Qu’est-ce que fuck?). I know he does not get a lot of press nowadays, but to see one of the few serious PMs of the last half of the 20th century ranked at the same level as someone who was, at best, a footnote in history makes me shake my head.
Recency bias is a hell of a drug.

And it’s only 10% of respondents. The cult of Trudeau is not as strong as the CBC makes it out to be.

I was disappointed to see St. Laurent ranked so low, on par with R.B. Bennet (Qu’est-ce que fuck?). I know he does not get a lot of press nowadays, but to see one of the few serious PMs of the last half of the 20th century ranked at the same level as someone who was, at best, a footnote in history makes me shake my head.

…or….(cough* peacekeeping *cough)…Pearson.

Father of the Canadian Blue-bereted Boy Scout legend. (And US nukes on Canadian soil, but, you know….Cold War)

Much of what JC and PM did "fiscally" was simply to cut transfers, thereby throwing the burden of the "great work" onto the provinces. And it wasn't necessary - a (very few) more years of simply allowing the operating surplus to work its magic would have sufficed. But they made a big noise about "slaying the budget deficit", a myth which grips a lot of people even today.
sounds suspiciously like the budget will balance itself

When even the hardest left (some go as far as saying Marxist) doesn't like one's shenanigans ....

When even the hardest left (some go as far as saying Marxist) doesn't like one's shenanigans ....
So...his party's policies are centrist if they piss off both the hard left and hard right, right? :sneaky:

So...his party's policies are centrist if they piss off both the hard left and hard right, right? :sneaky:
The “Policy” could be anywhere on the political spectrum. Means SFA if nothing is delivered. Unless you want a killer drug showered upon a vulnerable population like those genocidal Purdue assholes and their McKinsey enablers did. Then “success”?🫤

I think at this point the only thing keeping Trudeau in the PMO is the lack of an alternative; both within the LPC and the Opposition.

As much as PP can grate on the nerves, he's starting to close the gap a bit. I wonder how hollow the threats of "Trump North" will ring in the next election cycle...

I’m with you on that. St. Laurent is definitely IMHO Canada’s most forward-thinking PM in probably the last century. Mackenzie King was probably a bigger joke than fancy socks Justin. Having said that, even Justin isn’t a total 100%wipeout as PM. I would grade him probably a C (depending on which day of the week it is) for his domestic policies and at best a D- for his foreign policies.

I’m with you on that. St. Laurent is definitely IMHO Canada’s most forward-thinking PM in probably the last century. Mackenzie King was probably a bigger joke than fancy socks Justin. Having said that, even Justin isn’t a total 100%wipeout as PM. I would grade him probably a C (depending on which day of the week it is) for his domestic policies and at best a D- for his foreign policies.
Just to clarify..."C" stands for "Crappy"?

is the lack of an alternative; both within the LPC and the Opposition.
Trudeau could club orphans in baby seal costumes and people would say "oh ya that's bad, but there's just a lack of other options".

I think some use this mantra as an excuse to wash their hands and absolve themselves of supporting someone who is morally shitty.

Say more, on Mackenzie King?

I can see a situation where the Liberals win again, possibly with a majority.

The Liberals run a very effective OPPO operation on Pollievre. Lots of material to work with.

Swing voters, sick of Trudeau, but still leery of the Tories, stay home.

Suburban women still not enamoured with Pollievre and stay with Trudeau.

The Tories will only retain a handful of seats they currently hold around Quebec City.

And biggest of all, New Democrats and Greens will be absolutely scared shitless of a Tory government led by Pollievre that they vote en masse for the Liberals. NDP will be completely wiped out. Singh is no Layton. Most people now see that the Green Party is really a Liz May cult.

So unless something changes, between Tru-anon cultists, died-the-wool Liberals (looking at you, Maritimes), suburban women and scared NDP’ers and Greens, I don’t see how the Tories win.

I can see a situation where the Liberals win again, possibly with a majority.

The Liberals run a very effective OPPO operation on Pollievre. Lots of material to work with.

Swing voters, sick of Trudeau, but still leery of the Tories, stay home.

Suburban women still not enamoured with Pollievre and stay with Trudeau.

The Tories will only retain a handful of seats they currently hold around Quebec City.

And biggest of all, New Democrats and Greens will be absolutely scared shitless of a Tory government led by Pollievre that they vote en masse for the Liberals. NDP will be completely wiped out. Singh is no Layton. Most people now see that the Green Party is really a Liz May cult.

So unless something changes, between Tru-anon cultists, died-the-wool Liberals (looking at you, Maritimes), suburban women and scared NDP’ers and Greens, I don’t see how the Tories win.
Interesting analysis. I’m likely in the first group you mention. I won’t stay home likely but may vote based on what options I may have in front of me.

Giving younger voters credit where credit is due…not everyone falls for moist speaking, crocodile tears, hair flips and virtuously pandering word salads. It should be interesting to see how things unfold. Interesting that Team Justin has of late become relatively silent in the floating of ‘calling a spring election’ trial balloons…

Giving younger voters credit where credit is due…not everyone falls for moist speaking, crocodile tears, hair flips and virtuously pandering word salads.
I'm not sure they would vote CPC though. Younger voters (generally) lean more left.

I think they may go NDP.

Back