• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

SHOES FOR OFFICERS AND CWO

That's the main reason I started wearing oxfords anytime possible. I got tired of investing my time into shitty ankle boots that look shitty after realistic amounts of effort put into the shine. I'm getting older and have less time and GAFF for things like this...

That's the main reason I started wearing oxfords anytime possible. I got tired of investing my time into shitty ankle boots that look shitty after realistic amounts of effort put into the shine. I'm getting older and have less time and GAFF for things like this...
I even went so far as to buy the SWAT oxfords at the Canex. They are more comfortable than the issued ones, and only require a wipe down to get the dust/dirt off them.

If I was sure about how much longer I'll be around I'd likely buy quality leather oxfords to wear daily, but the SWAT ones will suffice.

Hello,

As Remembrance Day gets closer, I checked this page :

Line 29 states that Patent leather Oxford shoes - Military pattern may be worn with all non-ceremonial orders of DEU.

My understanding of this, as an RCAF junior officer, is that when wearing NO 1A order of dress (ceremonial, medals only), which is what I was directed to wear for attending a 11 Nov ceremony, I do not have the option to wear Oxford shoes, and as a consequence, I shall wear my ankle boots with my 1A DEU. I believe Oxford are appropriate for all NO 3 Service Dress, at the office and for general business.

What do think of that? Would you say that if not told otherwise, wearing ankle boots with 1A order of dress is in accordance with the dress instructions? I witnessed many (if not all) senior officers wearing 1A with Oxford shoes during ceremonies, so I guess there is a permanent instruction coming from COs allowing that mix.

Thanks!

My understanding of this, as an RCAF junior officer, is that when wearing NO 1A order of dress (ceremonial, medals only), which is what I was directed to wear for attending a 11 Nov ceremony, I do not have the option to wear Oxford shoes, and as a consequence, I shall wear my ankle boots with my 1A DEU. I believe Oxford are appropriate for all NO 3 Service Dress, at the office and for general business.

What do think of that? Would you say that if not told otherwise, wearing ankle boots with 1A order of dress is in accordance with the dress instructions? I witnessed many (if not all) senior officers wearing 1A with Oxford shoes during ceremonies, so I guess there is a permanent instruction coming from COs allowing that mix.

Thanks!

Line 29 in Annex E is referring to authorized optional items, the "Patent leather Oxford shoes" they are talking about is the ones similar to what CANEX sells which you don't have to polish. The issued shoes are referred to as "Shoes Leather Black" and they are authorized for wear in 1A, which is why you see them worn on parades by senior officers.

Line 29 in Annex E is referring to authorized optional items, the "Patent leather Oxford shoes" they are talking about is the ones similar to what CANEX sells which you don't have to polish. The issued shoes are referred to as "Shoes Leather Black" and they are authorized for wear in 1A, which is why you see them worn on parades by senior officers.
It makes sense. Thank you for the quick response.

Just to add; I've never seen an Officer in the RCAF wear ankle boots (I've been ChairForce since 2007). Every parade instruction/Admin O I've seen for Wing/Sqn parades have stated "Officers shall wear oxfords, NCMs shall wear ankle boots". I've also seen "Officers and CWOs shall wear oxfords, MWOs and below shall wear ankle boots".

If not specifically ordered, I always wear oxfords (issued Shoes Leather Black) with 1A, 3B etc and I'm not quite at the 'senior officer' level (I'm a WO).

Just to add; I've never seen an Officer in the RCAF wear ankle boots (I've been ChairForce since 2007). Every parade instruction/Admin O I've seen for Wing/Sqn parades have stated "Officers shall wear oxfords, NCMs shall wear ankle boots". I've also seen "Officers and CWOs shall wear oxfords, MWOs and below shall wear ankle boots".

If not specifically ordered, I always wear oxfords (issued Shoes Leather Black) with 1A, 3B etc and I'm not quite at the 'senior officer' level (I'm a WO).
I don’t even know where my ankle boots might be, I’ve only worn oxfords,

Probably the same place your polish is? 😁

Will Ferrell Reaction GIF

Or just wear ankle boots as an officer and see what happens...
Probably the same place your polish is? 😁

Will Ferrell Reaction GIF
After a PG and two years in WFH went to help my daughter polish her newly issued cadet ankle boots and realized I have no idea where my polish kit is. And that somehow a glob of silicone grease was dropped in my standby pair of oxfords... Logistitek here I come!

I recall an urban legend about a shipboard parade when all the sailors were expected to turn out in their best rig.

Immediately prior to the parade, all the stokers mustered in the engineering workshop. A quick shot of black spraypaint and all the stoker footwear met the standard of clean and black.

If you want to recreate the labours of Sisyphus, try polishing brogues.

Spit shining dinosaur hide would probably be an easier task. I'm sure they came up with that as a dress requirement for commissioned ranks in a Scottish unit purely for 'character building' reasons ;)

I envied the soldiers with their smooth leather shoes/boots.

If you want to recreate the labours of Sisyphus, try polishing brogues.

Spit shining dinosaur hide would probably be an easier task. I'm sure they came up with that as a dress requirement for commissioned ranks in a Scottish unit purely for 'character building' reasons ;)

I envied the soldiers with their smooth leather shoes/boots.
I(n the big picture, who really cares!

Back