• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ottawa unveils details of Nova Scotia carbon tax that will take effect next summer

It’s a play right out of the government handbook:

Have some of the population support you to gain power, then hammer them later.

It’s trademark recent LPC tactics

I doubt that it will be too expensive to live in. Living standards have a long way to fall before becoming severe.

That NS power story is comedy gold.

"Premier Tim Houston said his government will not back down after a decision to cap electricity prices led Nova Scotia Power to have its credit rating downgraded. The utility's parent company, Emera, warned a weaker credit rating will lead to increased costs to borrow money. It said that could ultimately result in higher prices for customers."

"Houston shrugged off such concerns. "I'm not in the business of managing their relationships with their stakeholders," he said. "They can do that. They are highly paid executives, they have a lot of stakeholders and they should manage those relationships.""

(So why are your fat fingers in there fucking things up?)

"Houston said the province imposed the cap to protect people from "very high utility rates.""

""Our power bills are still going to skyrocket because Nova Scotia Power passes through a lot of their costs," Chender said. "If it costs the company more, it's going to cost us more.""

Sometimes a person with a clue is found in the last place you expect.

The growing anger towards NS Power is palpable.

It would be a political folly of huge magnitudes to ignore and not at least try to do something. Right or wrong.

If you arent seen as oppositional to NSP at this point youre finished.

It would be a political folly of huge magnitudes to ignore and not at least try to do something. Right or wrong.

Whoever decided privatizing it in the first place is an idiot, but the lack of system maintenance for a long long time is crazy. Hearing the lines buzz on old glass insulators and transformers from the 20s where I used to live is going to need sorted eventually, but that seemed widespread throughout Halifax.

With luck we'll see the full consequences come home to people opposed to companies providing necessities. Can always use another horrible warning.

That article is from 18 months ago. It’s about people being out of work because everything is closed. Also says that half the population thinks it’s a good idea to buy stuff they can’t afford.
I can't seem to find anything current. All results default to this same study. Maybe there hasn't been another since that one?

Your search capabilities are probably much better than mine. Perhaps you can find a bonafide study more current so we can update our ignorance?

Insolvency results from inability to meet financial commitments. To be within $200, you'd have to have pretty much nothing that could be liquidated quickly. Half of households being in that situation seems improbable. I suspect the measure takes into account debt without taking into account when the debt comes due.

With luck we'll see the full consequences come home to people opposed to companies providing necessities. Can always use another horrible warning.

No one has an issue with NS Power providing its utility, its in fact a lack of this they are upset with. The problem is the constant rake hikes with little know maintenance or upgrading done and constant power outages. All the while the upper management rake it pay raises.

I can't seem to find anything current. All results default to this same study. Maybe there hasn't been another since that one?

Your search capabilities are probably much better than mine. Perhaps you can find a bonafide study more current so we can update our ignorance?
It’s more profitable to let them pay forever than to let them default when the mortgage is under water. There are no shortage of jobs, it’s just that people bought stuff with money they didn’t have.

Whoever decided privatizing it in the first place is an idiot, but the lack of system maintenance for a long long time is crazy. Hearing the lines buzz on old glass insulators and transformers from the 20s where I used to live is going to need sorted eventually, but that seemed widespread throughout Halifax.

Ya so much of power infrastructure is dated. They've had the organization since 1992, and while always turning a profit doing very little in upgrades or maintenance.

It’s more profitable to let them pay forever than to let them default when the mortgage is under water. There are no shortage of jobs, it’s just that people bought stuff with money they didn’t have.
I asked for a current study of how many Canadians are $200 from insolvency. To replace the dated one you pointed out.

We can analyze all you want after we see the newer study.

Trudeau told the plebes he was going to price them out of bad habits such as driving. I think we can put this one in the "promises kept" column.

Hopefully we get another 4 years of a Trudeau majority to cement things up.

We are already paying .78 cents in tax per litre on the West Coast. I guess JT needs the money to promise more childcare spaces in order to appease his followers.

We are already paying .78 cents in tax per litre on the West Coast. I guess JT needs the money to promise more childcare spaces in order to appease his followers.
Your contribution to the post-nation state, dear Comrade, is duly noted and appreciated. You will soon have more opportunity to demonstrate your dedication to the post-nation state.

Back