• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

LAV 6.0

Reminds me of winter exercises in Shilo with our M109 batteries. A Echelons were a bit of tough sledding but the gun lines just plowed straight through it all.

Makes me wonder what a winter exercise with M777s look like - probably need front end loaders from Base CE to plow out the gun positions.

Is it any wonder I like tracks?

:LOL:

Did I read that right that our LAVS have a ZF seven-speed dual clutch transmission while the American one has Allison 3200SP transmission, which transmission is better, does anyone know? Lets talk about restriction of parts.
ZF transmission parts were always tough to get through Volvo. I know of one truck that had a ZF trans with problems. The truck "accidently" burnt one weekend in the dealer parking lot. Allison transmissions typically weren't hard to get parts for but they were expensive.

You mean like the one GDLS has already designed. Just check the box at check out. And GDLS will have it delivered....without need of your Prime account.

Maybe we could make our own "wanted to be different" version of the Bradley using the LAV's turret and make our own version of the Bradley variants.

Or not reinvent the wheel and just buy Bradleys, AMPV and the new M109A7 and M1299 which use Bradley components (no, a made-for-TV comedy movie based on a self-serving memoir is not a source) to use alongside (not replace) the LAV 6.

The US could produced the Bradley's sans turret but fitted for our turret, although the ATGM option would be nice, but does not have to be TOW. GDLS makes the turret in Canada.

I don't know that I would be in a hurry to start fielding Bradley at the same moment that the US is looking for a replacement. It is a good path to run into parts shortfalls while the vehicles are still early in their service lives.

I don't know that I would be in a hurry to start fielding Bradley at the same moment that the US is looking for a replacement. It is a good path to run into parts shortfalls while the vehicles are still early in their service lives.
We can give you a screaming deal on some used ones ;)
A lot of new ones are still coming off the lines and others being upgraded to A4 standard.

We can give you a screaming deal on some used ones ;)
A lot of new ones are still coming off the lines and others being upgraded to A4 standard.
Not to mention that the automotives and running gear and much of the hull is in the new M109A7s and the M1299, and, I think, the AMPV. I think the basic parts will be around for a few more decades.

🍻

They've been looking at a replacement since the 80s, and every time it gets cancelled due to skyrocketing costs or excessive proposed weight and size (the GCIFV would have been up to 75 tons), for something that ends up looking like a Bradley anyway. And the M2A4 and AMPV have started entering service this year.

They've been looking at a replacement since the 80s, and every time it gets cancelled due to skyrocketing costs or excessive proposed weight and size (the GCIFV would have been up to 75 tons), for something that ends up looking like a Bradley anyway. And the M2A4 and AMPV have started entering service this year.

And isn't the M109A7 built on the Bradley as well.

It is. And the M992 ammunition supply vehicle, and the M1299 long range version of the M109A7, and the M270 MLRS.

So

M2 Bradley IFV Family
M3 Bradley CFV Family
M109A7 Family
M1299 ERCA Family
M992 Ammunition Carrier
M270 MLRS Launchers
M1283 AMPV GP
M1284 AMPV Amb
M1285 AMPV Med
M1286 AMPV CP
M1287 AMPV Mor

All on a 36 tonne capable drive

And then there is the all important Observed Ground Pressure

1668616295712.png

The Hagglunds Bv206/BvS10 family of vehicles have a ground pressure in the 1.5 to 2.5 psi range.

A human on foot exerts about 16 psi but on only 1 psi if wearing snow shoes.

Does anyone know what specific turret is installed on the LAV 6.0 ISC? My Google-foo has so far failed me this morning. Might need more coffee!

Does anyone know what specific turret is installed on the LAV 6.0 ISC? My Google-foo has so far failed me this morning. Might need more coffee!
I could be wrong, but I always thought it was a bespoke turret developed by GDLS around the Bushmaster M242 originally for the LAV-25 and tweaked since then.

🍻

It's an updated version of the same GDLS LAV-25 turret that was on the LAV-III.
Thanks. I was just curious if a version of that same turret was ever trialed/prototyped with an ATGM launcher of any type or if doing something like that would be a completely bespoke, clean sheet design for Canada.

Thanks. I was just curious if a version of that same turret was ever trialed/prototyped with an ATGM launcher of any type or if doing something like that would be a completely bespoke, clean sheet design for Canada.
There was all kinds of experimentation of the LAV-25 leading to the Stryker. Wikipedia gives a good thumb nail sketch of those. There was an ATGM version (as for the Stryker) but not like you envision.

🍻

Both. Kuwait has an older version of the same turret with 2x TOW launchers installed on a Warrior chassis. Google "desert Warrior ifv" for pics.

Spike or Javelin could be put on instead of TOW.

Back