• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Decline of the Liberal Party- Swerved Into a Confederation Topic

Perhaps and yes I voted in every election. -Do you trust your peers to do the same? I get it - anyone older than 60 is to blame.

Perhaps those under 60 need to ask themselves the same question.

You know I have nothing but love for you homie.

But the world we're in a product that the preceding generations have provided.

And I don't think my generation will be some glowing example of how act.

As I've said before, we need better options for politicians. I know I'm asking for too much.

I'm talking about our social programs.

Which generations since the 60s have paid lip service to while trying to avoid paying cash money to support. Now that they need them it's a panic and a crisis.

The boomers had no foresight. How they couldn't have foreseen thier massive demographic impact on our services is beyond me. But fail to plan, plan to fail.

Reminds me of the aging folks who I used run into in college. Pissed their life away until they were 45+ and then, late in life, wondered why they had nothing and had to start from the bottom all the while having a false aire of superior wisdom. I used to love debating with these aged hippies in my social work program. Hilarious folks with nonsense of personal responsibility. But my goodness they had one hell of a sense of entitlement.

I'm not really a generational blamer, I just think that's the truth. The shit policies from 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s, social and financial, are coming back to haunt us.
This is the thing.

And you hit the nail on the head. I mentioned a few things in another thread the Boomer generation did that messed up future generations and in particular the millennials (and a specific cohort that was really messed up because of it).

And it’s not Boomers per se but they policies that were enacted after inheriting a solid foundation from previous generations.

1) moving to increased educational accreditation. And raising that as well. We moved away from an OJT model workforce to one that requires more education than is really required. This makes us less productive and we lose potential early on.

2) Focusing on short term gains and consequences. Essentially they stopped long term planning. And unfortunately they’ve passed on that habit to subsequent generations.

3) reduced investment in businesses and increased investment in real estate specifically homes

None of this should be taken as a statement that boomers didn't or don't work hard. But it's an inconvenient truth that is being borne out

Last edited:
From 2015 when this government got elected.
from Abacus. It could well be from these figures, that Millennials are responsible for our government and politics today. Trudeau has created tons of social programs costing billions. The problem was he did them in other countries, not here. Millenials outnumber Boomers or will very soon. They've already decided on their parties. You've had since 2015 to address the social problems you say we screwed up, with the leaders you picked. And two more elections since, with little change in how the government does business. You never called on the government to revamp the previous social programs you have a heartache with. As much blame can be placed on Millennials now as Boomers for the government. You're placing blame when you should be sharing it. As mariomike likes to say, "we get the government we deserve." We have passed that responsibility to Millennials. Hope you learn fast. As I said earlier, the poll is dated. Perhaps someone can find something more current Abacus Data | Canadian Politics: A Generational Divide?

consider.png

Generational divide in politics is one thing. Unfortunately that isn't the the main factors that affect the trends we are seeing. Otherwise they would have been doing great during the Harper years but they weren't.

Millennials are unable to accumulate wealth to the same degree that past generations have been able to. I posted a few reasons why. Boomers are also impeding home ownership due to certain trends as well.

All if this is well documented. And it isn't just Canada.

This is the thing.

And you hit the nail on the head. I mentioned a few things in another thread the Boomer generation did that messed up future generations and in particular the millennials (and a specific cohort that was really messed up because of it).

And it’s not Boomers per se but they policies that were enacted after inheriting a solid foundation from previous generations.

1) moving to increased educational accreditation. And raising that as well. We moved away from an OJT model workforce to one that requires more education than is really required. This makes us less productive and we lose potential early on.

2) Focusing on short term gains and consequences. Essentially they stopped long term planning. And unfortunately they’ve passed on that habit to subsequent generations.

3) reduced investment in businesses and increased investment in real estate specifically homes

None of this should be taken as a statement that boomers didn't or don't work hard. But it's an inconvenient truth that is being borne out
I wish I could be here to see the day when your kids and grandkids turn on you and put the blame on you for everything you’ve ever said, done, or thought that left them a different world to unfuck. It’s a horrible day, but it’s coming for you, just like us.

Generational divide in politics is one thing. Unfortunately that isn't the the main factors that affect the trends we are seeing. Otherwise they would have been doing great during the Harper years but they weren't.

Millennials are unable to accumulate wealth to the same degree that past generations have been able to. I posted a few reasons why. Boomers are also impeding home ownership due to certain trends as well.

All if this is well documented. And it isn't just Canada.
Too bad we never had the crystal ball you technologically advanced millennials have. Hindsight is always 20/20.
It'll be interesting to see how the Millenials, now in charge, get to fixing 'our' mistakes. You've had 7 years so far. Personally, I've only seen Miillennials make things worse with your choice of government. Give us a timeline and let us know when you decide to make your red and orange liberals tow the line listen to you. Oh wait, you can't, that crystal ball only works on the past, it can't see the future. Much the way our programs were designed by the conditions of the day.

Fair points all, but do people need the $1000 latest iPhone and data package that allows them to game and surf the Interweb at will? Or multiple streaming services? When I see people wandering the dollar store with a phone I can't afford in one had and a Starbucks in the other, I wonder about priorities.
It's tricky. There are people struggling to keep their heads above water. And there's people struggling to keep their heads above water with some combination of
-a late model pickup truck that's never seen dirt/shit/sawdust or used its hitch (or equivalent vanity vehicle) as a daily driver
-most/all of Netflix/Prime/Crave/Disney+ and a cable package
-a pack a day
-a case a week
-several restaurant/takeout/delivery meals per week

It's across all classes. There's a lot of mindless baseline spending that is in people's power to change and better their situation.

The latter doesn't want to hear it and gets defensive. The former (rightfully) gets touchy/offended when associated with the latter.

Last edited:
Too bad we never had the crystal ball you technologically advanced millennials have. Hindsight is always 20/20.
It'll be interesting to see how the Millenials, now in charge, get to fixing 'our' mistakes. You've had 7 years so far. Personally, I've only seen Miillennials make things worse with your choice of government. Give us a timeline and let us know when you decide to make your red and orange liberals tow the line listen to you. Oh wait, you can't, that crystal ball only works on the past, it can't see the future. Much the way our programs were designed by the conditions of the day.
I’m not a millennial. I also didn’t vote liberal last election. That’s immaterial.

Stop taking this personally as this isn’t a personal attack.

It’s well documented and I’ve provided examples.

I’m happy to discuss or provide sources.

I wish I could be here to see the day when your kids and grandkids turn on you and put the blame on you for everything you’ve ever said, done, or thought that left them a different world to unfuck. It’s a horrible day, but it’s coming for you, just like us.
I wish you could actually discuss without taking this personally. No one is turning on you so relax.

I’m pointing to certain factors. Feel free to dispute but maybe take a time out as you seem upset.

No point trying to out-guess government long term or invest in business. Not if people are going to vote for parties who can and do turn long-term business investments into confetti by changing rules abruptly or suddenly deciding how profits ought be committed.

Real estate has the advantage of being hard to inflate away. Also, leisure time isn't really taxable. Clear your debts, save, and retire as early as you can. Let the people who want to "green" the world (they're not entirely oldsters) pay the cost, especially since they're determined to strangle the energy economy we have before we have another one ready.

It's tricky. There are people struggling to keep their heads above water. And there's people struggling to keep their heads above water with some combination of
-a late model pickup truck that's never seen dirt/shit/sawdust or used its hitch (or equivalent vanity vehicle) as a daily driver
-most/all of Netflix/Prime/Crave/Disney+ and a cable package
-a pack a day
-a case a week
-several restaurant/takeout/delivery meals per week

It's across all classes. There's a lot of mindless baseline spending that is in people's power to change and better their situation.
I enjoy my one year old pickup. It pulls a 20 ft Cargo trailer, that I live in when running around on my UTV. I spent a couple of grand in gas this year travelling. I own my house outright. I also own my wife's car. I have a collection of 'tools' worth about $80 grand. I'm not going further. I'm not trying to rub noses. My point is, if you want it, work for it. The only people I owe money to, is the government, once a year. Nothing was ever given to me except hard lessons and disappointment. I pulled myself out. Nobody else did it for me. I was never afforded any social programs, except one year when when I used EI for a few weeks. I was never afforded opportunity by the government except to be allowed to join our military. I have grade10. I had to go to work. I went to College, 20 years ago, which I paid for, to become a general machinist, as a hobby. I worked for 50 years. I'm entitled to anything I want to pay for without paying for stangers to have what I have. But they want to use my money to reach parity. So please excuse me if your having a hard time, but trying to blame me for your self described social problems and missing opportunities is bullshit. Full stop. I doubt you'll reach where I am, by doing it the way I did. However, I'd have to think if you fail, it your own fault. That's a big part of the problem today. Nobody will take responsibility for their actions and when they screw the pooch, they want us to pay for it.
You've had seven years of your government. Plenty of time to of had your grievances heard. You failed to do that.

Only you are responsible for your position in life.

This is your fault, not the Boomers.

No point trying to out-guess government long term or invest in business. Not if people are going to vote for parties who can and do turn long-term business investments into confetti by changing rules abruptly or suddenly deciding how profits ought be committed.

Real estate has the advantage of being hard to inflate away. Also, leisure time isn't really taxable. Clear your debts, save, and retire as early as you can. Let the people who want to "green" the world (they're not entirely oldsters) pay the cost, especially since they're determined to strangle the energy economy we have before we have another one ready.
None of that changes the facts as to why we are where we are as I listed them.

You've had seven years of your government. Plenty of time to of had your grievances heard. You failed to do that.

Just a note on this. Boomers are still the largest voting block by generation. millennials won’t surpass them until 2029 according to census data. And Gen X will never surpass either as a larger generation.

Just a note on this. Boomers are still the largest voting block by generation. millennials won’t surpass them until 2029 according to census data. And Gen X will never surpass either as a larger generation.
Each voting block is a mixed bag and it's likley the millennials dominate the urban seats.

Doesn't matter. It was them that had a hand in electing the government they wanted. They failed to have their greivances addressed because they never tried. Whatever pickle they believe themselves in. It is their own fault.

And I do take it personal. I'm a Boomer. It is part of an identifiable group I belong to. A group that has been openly attacked as the cause of all the Millenials broken dreams in this thread. Hey, you attack my team, you attack me. So don't try tell me not to take it personally. You just keep doing you, and I'll (we'll) will continue doing what we've been doing.

Fin

I enjoy my one year old pickup. It pulls a 20 ft Cargo trailer, that I live in when running around on my UTV. I spent a couple of grand in gas this year travelling. I own my house outright. I also own my wife's car. I have a collection of 'tools' worth about $80 grand. I'm not going further. I'm not trying to rub noses. My point is, if you want it, work for it. The only people I owe money to, is the government, once a year. Nothing was ever given to me except hard lessons and disappointment. I pulled myself out. Nobody else did it for me. I was never afforded any social programs, except one year when when I used EI for a few weeks. I was never afforded opportunity by the government except to be allowed to join our military. I have grade10. I had to go to work. I went to College, 20 years ago, which I paid for, to become a general machinist, as a hobby. I worked for 50 years. I'm entitled to anything I want to pay for without paying for stangers to have what I have. But they want to use my money to reach parity. So please excuse me if your having a hard time, but trying to blame me for your self described social problems and missing opportunities is bullshit. Full stop. I doubt you'll reach where I am, by doing it the way I did. However, I'd have to think if you fail, it your own fault. That's a big part of the problem today. Nobody will take responsibility for their actions and when they screw the pooch, they want us to pay for it.

I generally agree with your sentiment that life is what you make it.

But I can also recognize that anyone starting out with a grade 10 these days will probably never achieve what you did. That includes if they go to college later in life.

Also we can't look at the situation today without looking to past and what brought us here. I just wish we would look back on the mistakes, recognize them and take action right the ship.

Alas people want quick fixes. Not long term long gain fixes.

And I do take it personal. I'm a Boomer. It is part of an identifiable group I belong to. A group that has been openly attacked as the cause of all the Millenials broken dreams in this thread. Hey, you attack my team, you attack me. So don't try tell me not to take it personally. You just keep doing you, and I'll (we'll) will continue doing what we've been doing.

That's because the boomer generation is responsible for alot of what ails us now. Like it or not that generation's selfishness is not only leaving a mess behind them they've created successive selfish generations in their wake.

Last edited:
That's because the boomer generation is responsible for alot of what ails us now. Like it or not that generation's selfishness is not only leaving a mess behind them they've created successive selfish generations in their wake.
Well, real simply then. If the Millennials don't take responsibility for their own lazy attitude in not getting things changed. Boomers aren't responsible either. Your criteria, not mine

Back