• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reconstitution

I don't blame CMs for the mess they have to deal with, they spend their time in a rush trying to plug holes and catch-up admin/data entry due to ridiculous processes.

One of the biggest flaws in the current CAF HR system is the lack of transparency in decision making, and the perception that member input is meaningless unless you're one of the "chosen" ones. Members should know how the CM chooses between people looking for a desirable posting, why one person was picked over another for a yearlong French course, etc... The current system of silence from the CM only makes the perception of favouritism seem even worse than it really is.

It's not so much about "hardship" postings, it's more about "I want to live in Halifax, why am I posted to Esquimalt? Especially since S1 Bloggins who wants Esquimalt is posted to Halifax..."

There is obviously a hardship element to some posting, particularly more rural ones when viewed from the perspective of a city dweller. When my Ex came to Oromocto with me she was furious about living in a small town, having grown up in Edmonton.
Hence why your Ex. Most likely a good thing.:D

How many "hardship" postings are there really?

I get sea duty for the Navy. For the Air Force? I keep hearing about Cold Lake and Bagotville.

Army?
Depending on family situation there can be a bunch.
@Furniture pointed out the issue with Gagetown, and Petawawa isn't exactly working spouse friendly either, as far as major bases go.
Wainwright is also a big No-Go for a lot of families with professional working spouses.

That's awesome if you are posted somewhere you like. A bad 3 posting is easier to swallow than a bad 10 year posting. If you can't afford to live in Victoria, keeping you there will only mean the release is your only option.

I was in a "bad posting" for 10 years and made the best of it, it's all you can do when you join the military.

The CAF is in a real shit storm right now. Historically desirable bases in nice geographical locations are unaffordable on the economy with no PMQ housing available (ie. Comox). Undesirable bases in remote areas are affordable but you're semi-isolated (i.e Cold lake). Comox used to be the golden posting in the early 2000s, now people release to avoid it.

I was in a "bad posting" for 10 years and made the best of it, it's all you can do when you join the military.
You can release...
If you are posted, and your wife cannot find a suitable job in the new location, what do you think will happen?

The CAF is in a real shit storm right now. Historically desirable bases in nice geographical locations are unaffordable on the economy with no PMQ housing available (ie. Comox). Undesirable bases in remote areas are affordable but you're semi-isolated (i.e Cold lake). Comox used to be the golden posting in the early 2000s, now people release to avoid it.
I never figured out why the CAF did what they did, and didn't fight the TB on the whole Housing issue.
Extremely short sighted - and short of eminent domain'ing a lot of land in certain locations, I don't see a great solution.

You can release...
If you are posted, and your wife cannot find a suitable job in the new location, what do you think will happen?

I never figured out why the CAF did what they did, and didn't fight the TB on the whole Housing issue.
Extremely short sighted - and short of eminent domain'ing a lot of land in certain locations, I don't see a great solution.

Why are 68,000 people living in Fort McMurray? Why did Quebecers and Newfoundlanders fly out there for weeks in camps? Why do people take Jobs in Kapuskasing and Sioux Lookout?

Most of us go where the work, and the dollar, takes us.

Why are 68,000 people living in Fort McMurray? Why did Quebecers and Newfoundlanders fly out there for weeks in camps? Why do people take Jobs in Kapuskasing and Sioux Lookout?

Most of us go where the work, and the dollar, takes us or we starve.

There, FTFY ;)

True, but they compensated them well for those jobs in remote locations.

So then let's get rid of 'remote locations' and bring everyone back from internal exile into the more urbanized parts of Canada. Guess what, it might also help with recruiting and retention.
It absolutely would.

The CAF would be far more in the public eye, rather than ushered off into the more rural parts of the country. The public’s exposure to military matters would be far more developed, and the public would care more about the military’s missions when the people going are their next door neighbours.

And if you are a city dweller, and you’re worried about getting posted elsewhere in a few years time? Don’t worry, the move from Edmonton to Saskatoon isn’t a hard one.

Nobody joins the military to be invisible, not so dangerous or exciting jobs, and to be forced to create a life in the bustling metropolis of Shilo, MB. Or Gander, Newfoundland.

It absolutely would.

The CAF would be far more in the public eye, rather than ushered off into the more rural parts of the country. The public’s exposure to military matters would be far more developed, and the public would care more about the military’s missions when the people going are their next door neighbours.

And if you are a city dweller, and you’re worried about getting posted elsewhere in a few years time? Don’t worry, the move from Edmonton to Saskatoon isn’t a hard one.

Nobody joins the military to be invisible, not so dangerous or exciting jobs, and to be forced to create a life in the bustling metropolis of Shilo, MB. Or Gander, Newfoundland.

Most service personnel in European military organizations are within a day's drive from home. A buddy of mine was posted to SHAPE, in Belgium, and could still get home to London on weekends quite easily.

Why we insist on condemning ours to eternal banishment, either inside or outside Canada, is quite beyond me.

So then let's get rid of 'remote locations' and bring everyone back from internal exile into the more urbanized parts of Canada. Guess what, it might also help with recruiting and retention.
I don’t disagree.

I’ve known plenty of reservists that would have CTed. But location for what they wanted to do was too much of a turn off.

Most service personnel in European military organizations are within a day's drive from home. A buddy of mine was posted to SHAPE, in Belgium, and could still get home to London on weekends quite easily.

Why we insist on condemning ours to eternal banishment, either inside or outside Canada, is quite beyond me.

Have you checked the population density of Europe recently?

And by the way I don't fancy your chances commuting from Manchester to Leeds by rail.

And let folks get good at their jobs?? That'll never do.....

By the time you’re competent and really good at your job, you are either promoted or posted, or both. CAF is really bad at keeping the really skilled people fixing things because pay is tied to rank. There is no reason why a 20+ year AVN/AVS/ACS Cpl can’t make what first year WO does.

How many "hardship" postings are there really?

I get sea duty for the Navy. For the Air Force? I keep hearing about Cold Lake and Bagotville.

Army?

Meaford is the shit hole Trump talked about.

And Pet is ok until your kids are teenagers. Then you gotta get them out of there.

*Maritimers enter the chat

So what’s so bad about a posting to Meaford, anyway?
(I have never been to Meaford…)

So what’s so bad about a posting to Meaford, anyway?
(I have never been to Meaford…)
I hate Ontario as much as the next Westerner, but geographically that area is really nice. Meaford must suck along the same lines as Comox, Victoria, Ottawa, etc

Back