• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

King Charles III

Let’s be real. Being a republic isn’t what caused that.
I can concede that. The lack of checks and balances within a Republic (or failure to use them) did.

My point was mostly that Republics can and do allow tyranny, sometimes more frequently, than a constitutional monarchy.

Most of Africa can attest to that.

Nope, it's Patsy.
Technically, I think Patsy was a land-borne Steward…

Right!!! Dennis is the old woman
“Man!”
“What?”
“I’m a man.”
“Sorry, but from behind you looked…”
“What I object to is you automatically treating me like I’m inferior!”
“Well, I am your King, you know.”

This is the main point of my previous post. HM King Charles III had the luck of being mentored by someone who knew the job inside and out; and had to press on regardless of which way and how hard the wind was blowing. I have every faith he can steer the ship, it's the crew that makes me nervous.
Queen Elizabeth had 70 years practice and you don't duplicate that or come close in a month. IIRC she had a few missteps along the way.

I can concede that. The lack of checks and balances within a Republic (or failure to use them) did.

My point was mostly that Republics can and do allow tyranny, sometimes more frequently, than a constitutional monarchy.

Most of Africa can attest to that.
To me it would seem that the checks and balances worked quite well. The failures stem from a lack of being prepared, proper intelligence, and law enforcement in the face of a bunch of a holes that showed up to try and stop the process. It did not succeed.

The US republic is not to blame for that.

A republic works based on the strength of it's systems. I would argue that those African states you speak if likely have less economic freedom built in, don't use common law and likely have weak judicial law.

If you have those elements, in my mind, republic, benevolent dictatorships, constitutional monarchies etc can all work well.

If you want to live in an American style republic...just move to the US. Duh!

You could save with being a Republic, y’know ;)
The system we have is the most likely the cheapest in the world for Head if State. The GG is in all honest is pretty cheap and she doesn't have much of an office. A house, some staff, little bit of security, website and car. Super cheap. And we only pay for the King when he visits. We get a world class head of state for almost nothing.

It's not a big deal to change some buttons and medals etc. A picture on the twenty note and some stamps.

The system we have is the most likely the cheapest in the world for Head if State. The GG is in all honest is pretty cheap and she doesn't have much of an office. A house, some staff, little bit of security, website and car. Super cheap. And we only pay for the King when he visits. We get a world class head of state for almost nothing.

It's not a big deal to change some buttons and medals etc. A picture on the twenty note and some stamps.
But you also have a PM.
I’m solely pointing out that one could save money (over time) by abandoning the Monarchy.

But you also have a PM.
I’m solely pointing out that one could save money (over time) by abandoning the Monarchy.
Many republics have both a president and a prime minister. For some the president is a figure head but for others a big player in the executive. With the Brit constitutional monarchy system the head of states function seems to have left the executive powers fairly much behind although there are a few residual powers that can still have some value. It's a bit, albeit a tiny, check on a prime minister having unfettered powers.

🍻

You could save with being a Republic, y’know ;)
Why would we want to abondon the most stable and successful form of government that has ever existed and still exists to go to something that has shown itself to be inferior? ;)

Frankly the Tudor Crown and the St. Edwards crown heraldry are almost identical and I had to bring up an image of each to see the difference. St. Edwards is more heart shaped... ugh all those rank and flag changes.... we'll be on William before this is completed. At least they will hold off on the random bling and unexplainable changes to uniforms otherwise as they sort through this.

Many republics have both a president and a prime minister. For some the president is a figure head but for others a big player in the executive. With the Brit constitutional monarchy system the head of states function seems to have left the executive powers fairly much behind although there are a few residual powers that can still have some value. It's a bit, albeit a tiny, check on a prime minister having unfettered powers.

🍻
I'd suggest that your PMO needs more of a trio to the guillotine than a tiny check, but I digress, my sole point was on cost.
As I no longer live in Canada my interest level for or against the Monarchy is pretty minor.

I'd suggest that your PMO needs more of a trio to the guillotine than a tiny check, but I digress, my sole point was on cost.
As I no longer live in Canada my interest level for or against the Monarchy is pretty minor.
The GG's office and functions costs Canadians just under $60 million a year or around $1.55 per head.

That's a rounding error on what Trump's golf trips cost Americans.

😁

The GG's office and functions costs Canadians just under $60 million a year or around $1.55 per head.

😁
I just think how many CV-90's, or M109A7's you could get with that ;)

Why would we want to abondon the most stable and successful form of government that has ever existed and still exists to go to something that has shown itself to be inferior? ;)
Has it though? Don’t get me wrong I still think our constitutional monarchy is a better system than most republican systems. I think we get better “good government” from our system than the US system.

Tangent: Now No one have aneurism about the term “good government”. Go research the concept before having a meltdown about the LPC or whatever. That term is not about political parties or their policies. It’s about the ability to get things done through good governance.

But…I think what makes our system “good” is not the fact that we have monarch or president. It’s that we have a good blend of economic freedom, British common law and solid judicial system. But also our Westminster parliamentary tradition and system.

Go look at Singapore’s system which seems to have blended that concept with republicanism and some of the concepts of Asian mandarins. It’s a good case study about “good government” and how it is likely the best example of what can be.

I would prefer that our backbench MP's flex some of their power to make cabinet much more accountable to Parliament. We've really had benign dictatorships over the years especially when there is a majority government.

Go look at Singapore’s system which seems to have blended that concept with republicanism and some of the concepts of Asian mandarins. It’s a good case study about “good government” and how it is likely the best example of what can be.
Its a benevolent dictatorship in all but name. There is no real freedom in Singapore.

Its a benevolent dictatorship in all but name. There is no real freedom in Singapore.
Freedom is another issue. We were discussing successful governments. And in particular whether republics are objectively worse or not.

You can have the all the freedom in the world. That does not translate into effective government necessarily.

Singapore is likely one the most successful governments in the world.

😁

Far be it from me to correct your error, but (if you are using the figures from the Monarchist League of Canada) that amount also includes the Lieutenant Governors of the provinces.

So it's an even cheaper service.

Back