• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Dress Regs 🤣

2. It ends the practice of having all recruits shave their heads on basic,
Dude, I don’t know what planet you’ve been living on, but that’s not a thing. I went to Chilliwack in 1992, and my high school standard hair was very lightly trimmed by the CANEX barber. And the potential nurses in my platoon? They learned the then-standard military art of the French braid, and then went on to probably more successful careers than me.

All recruits shaving their heads has never been a thing.

Dude, I don’t know what planet you’ve been living on, but that’s not a thing. I went to Chilliwack in 1992, and my high school standard hair was very lightly trimmed by the CANEX barber. And the potential nurses in my platoon? They learned the then-standard military art of the French braid, and then went on to probably more successful careers than me.

Not shaving with a razor but you got your first haircut right down to the wood. It was very close let’s put it that way.

Grade 8 education requirement is what they had. People with no prospects tend to stay in. Society has managed to close that education gap so now more prospects.

My father quit school after grade 8 to help on the farm, joined the RCAF at age 17 in the early 1950s as an airframe tech. Remaster to Flight Engineer in ‘67 and went to the Argus fleet, worked his way up to Lead FE, responsible for a complex aircraft etc.

Retired; decided he’d apply to the local Schurmans window and door plant where my uncle worked for something to do and a little bit of money. Found out they couldn’t hire him without a minimum grade 10 education.

After almost 30 years of service, ending as a FE on a 4 engine aircraft that could fly for a day+ straight, he couldn’t be hired to put caulking on a window frame.

He’d help build his own house, cottage and boot house but…nope, sorry.

Those people who are waiting to be the first to dye their hair/beard etc and “be one of the first…”, I regret to inform you that 14 Wing popped that bubble YEARS ago. You are all woefully behind the curve!! Dyed hair/beards is SO 2019 👊🏻

(Yes that is the former Wing Commander during a fundraiser in Dec 2019)

LRP.. leading the way ™️ even though we don’t know where we are going! ( Ops normal some would argue 😝)

All male recruits in Cornwallis got a 0 all over cut in Week 1 when I went thru in ‘89. The top was allowed to grow after that that it was 0 sided/back during Basic. You could guess what week recruits where in by the length of the top and it was a way to identify “seniority” in a glance at Champlain Hall etc. At CLFRS in 2006/07 when I was there, I think it was a 2 all over in Week 1 except for females and those accommodated by religion or FN.

It wasn’t optional for white males, that’s for sure.

We had a townhall last week with the RCAF CCWO. Changes to dress were talked about of course and everyone was briefed the new version of CFP 265 with changes to Ch 2 would be available on Aug 6th before they come into effect on Sep 6th.

I’m curious if the following paras from Chap 1 will remain as is or be amended. Anyone who thinks about it can likely remember a time the “subj to overall command direction” has been ignored at the Comdt/CO and Chief levels; I wonder if wondering will be amended to better define left and right or arcs…

CONTROL​

1. Control is exercised by local commanders who may standardize the dress of subordinates on any occasion, including the wear of accoutrements and alternative or optional items, subject to overall command direction. See also Chapter 2, Section 1, paragraph 44.
  2. High standards of dress, deportment, and grooming are universally recognized as marks of a well-trained, disciplined and professional force. Commanders shall maintain the standards at all times to reinforce these characteristics for peace or war. Unauthorized modification of dress demonstrates inefficient and undisciplined training and a failure of those in command to focus on the purpose of a uniformed armed force.

When I was in Wainwright in the mid 90's for QL 2/3 Infantry, everyone's first haircut was a #1 all the way around. After that, we could grow the top to a #2.

There were no such haircuts when I went through Basic, and then B.O.C. I think it is a thing that started somewhere in the late 80's. And to me, it is another one of those American thing we improperly imported.

The dress regs do not repeat not say "Thou shall have a different haircut standard for basic". The regs concerning haircuts are and remain the same for all, recruits included, and a recruit showing up with a haircut that meets the regs or who wishes to have a haircut on the longer side permitted by the standard, should not be bothered and forced to get another one to a more stringent "standard" (and I use "standard" in quotation mark because I am sure no one can show me where that "standard" comes from).

What does it teaches recruits when the first thing you do is fail to abide by your own standard?

There were no such haircuts when I went through Basic, and then B.O.C. I think it is a thing that started somewhere in the late 80's. And to me, it is another one of those American thing we improperly imported.

The dress regs do not repeat not say "Thou shall have a different haircut standard for basic". The regs concerning haircuts are and remain the same for all, recruits included, and a recruit showing up with a haircut that meets the regs or who wishes to have a haircut on the longer side permitted by the standard, should not be bothered and forced to get another one to a more stringent "standard" (and I use "standard" in quotation mark because I am sure no one can show me where that "standard" comes from).

What does it teaches recruits when the first thing you do is fail to abide by your own standard?
They shaved us all in Cornwallis in 83.

They shaved us all in Cornwallis in 83.
At Chilliwack in BOTC in the 1980s, I cannot recall the staff being overly concerned about hair length (meaning that everyone seemed to figure out the “acceptable” standard on their own). There was certainly no haircut parade.

Nonsense. There's lots of people out there who prefer to dress for comfort, and there's lots of people out there who like looking good. "Good" being defined by their own personal preferences of course.

And with regards to hair, both of those approaches (and everything in between) can be accomodated. Great!

Suppose a soldier goes full send and pushes the new dress regs to the limits. All good. What do you suppose the punishment should be if another soldier were to see them and tell them they think they look absolutely ridiculous? Maybe even stupid.

Well, I think it teaches them that standards are often ignored, or just that people quite frequently don't bother to look up the reference in question.

Which frankly probably prepped them reasonably well for service in the CAF, since that shit happens everywhere. .

Suppose a soldier goes full send and pushes the new dress regs to the limits. All good. What do you suppose the punishment should be if another soldier were to see them and tell them they think they look absolutely ridiculous? Maybe even stupid.

Maybe a light scolding if it's a one-time thing. If it becomes repeated, I'd say start at an initial counselling and work from there. Harassing people because you don't like the way they look is, of course, unacceptable. Textbook toxic work environment right there. 100% exactly the type of shit that we're trying to purge from the military's culture.

That seems fair. I wonder if we can be scolded for polite compliments.

You look very professional. I like what you did with your hair. Both things I've said to co-workers in the past. You're right about harassing behavior though of course.

That seems fair. I wonder if we can be scolded for polite compliments.

You look very professional. I like what you did with your hair. Both things I've said to co-workers in the past. You're right about harassing behavior though of course.
With the wrong person, you're treading on dangerous ground. Some people are on perma-defence. If not then, then perhaps filed. You would want to know your audience.

Back