• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

America’s ‘Dirty Secret’- USMC General Admits ‘Wicked’ Logistics Problems In Western Pacific To Battle China

Halifax Tar

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
Descent little article. Admittedly I can't attest to the writer or publisher.

Poor article - ignores classified War Game data (which is need to admittedly) - but honestly sounds like grandstanding by the USMC for funding.

Frankly I’m curious as to what exactly Gen Smith was discussing in his webinar. Because a lot of that stuff related to the USMC transition is still classified.

Poor article - ignores classified War Game data (which is need to admittedly) - but honestly sounds like grandstanding by the USMC for funding.

Frankly I’m curious as to what exactly Gen Smith was discussing in his webinar. Because a lot of that stuff related to the USMC transition is still classified.

I suspect anything published by the Eurasian times to have a certain flavor especially WRT the heightened tensions over Taiwan. But again I don't don't know anything about that publisher.

Having said that I would say China has a Logistical advantage in any conflict in the western Pacific. And it's a mountain of a problem that the US military would have to overcome.

Last edited:
I suspect anything published by the Eurasian times to have a certain flavor especially WRT the heightened tensions over Taiwan. But again I don't don't know anything about that publisher.

Having said that I would say China has a Logistical advantage in any conflict in the western Pacific. And it's a mountain of a problem that the US military would have to overcome.
I think that current bases Hawaii, Guam, Japan, Singapore and Australia offer a lot for theatre logistics.
But it is still quite a trek to those, and from those.

Personally unlike the Russian invasion of Ukraine, of which I was quite certain of last year, I don't see China trying to take Taiwan by military force at this point. China isn't stupid, and they know that they can get a lot more with honey than shit. As well they have no doubt have had some serious revelations, and reservations pop up with regards to the effectiveness of Western Military systems in the Ukraine, versus the Soviet block equipment.

I think that current bases Hawaii, Guam, Japan, Singapore and Australia offer a lot for theatre logistics.
But it is still quite a trek to those, and from those.

Personally unlike the Russian invasion of Ukraine, of which I was quite certain of last year, I don't see China trying to take Taiwan by military force at this point. China isn't stupid, and they know that they can get a lot more with honey than shit. As well they have no doubt have had some serious revelations, and reservations pop up with regards to the effectiveness of Western Military systems in the Ukraine, versus the Soviet block equipment.

A pacific islands campaign brings a whole new meaning to logistical challenges lol. The US military conducted this amazingly in WW2, but they also had their whole economy move on a war footing.

I hope you're right.

A pacific islands campaign brings a whole new meaning to logistical challenges lol. The US military conducted this amazingly in WW2, but they also had their whole economy move on a war footing.

I hope you're right.
I think it behooves all of the Western style democracies to take a look at history and see what happens when countries/alliances are perceived as weak.
There is a reason why I think the RCN needs to triple in size...

I think it behooves all of the Western style democracies to take a look at history and see what happens when countries/alliances are perceived as weak.

I don't think you'd find a person on this forum who would disagree with you. The present practicality of a tripling in size is absent though.

I truly hope we can find a way to be better prepared, manned and equipped for the next world war than we were for 1 or 2.

I hope you're right.
The USN last callout of the Reserve fleet showed massive issues with something like a 20% operational response as I recall.

Not a surprise at all to anyone who pays attention to history. The US was wrestling with this problem in the 1920s with War Plan Orange and the debate between the Thrusters and the Cautionaries, the latter who recognized the need for a logistical trail to be established to fight a war in the Western Pacific.

Not a surprise at all to anyone who pays attention to history. The US was wrestling with this problem in the 1920s with War Plan Orange and the debate between the Thrusters and the Cautionaries, the latter who recognized the need for a logistical trail to be established to fight a war in the Western Pacific.

I have to assume the Pacific theatre of WW2 is being studied from all aspects and particularly the sustainment aspect.

While things are very different now, I would propose the basics of stock piling and moving the people and material into action is the core.

I have to assume the Pacific theatre of WW2 is being studied from all aspects and particularly the sustainment aspect.

While things are very different now, I would propose the basics of stock piling and moving the people and material into action is the core.

Geopolitical relationships will be the core.

Despite the presence of a handful of tiny US protectorates in the Pacific, strong 'Anti-China' relationships with Australia, Japan and others like India and Pakistan - and paradoxically Russia - will be of critical importance.

Canada mostly will be sitting out any war in the pacific. I can see us hey "China don't do that" we will be convening something shortly. Increase patrol of the approaches. That's about it.

Watch for increase of pressure to divide Canada public and policy from US. It will be little things.

But on the other hand it will be interesting to watch what the Canadian public does when CCP pulls the plug and your cell phone doesn't work etc. Or on the other hand leave it working and just watch Tik Tok lol

Canada mostly will be sitting out any war in the pacific. I can see us hey "China don't do that" we will be convening something shortly. Increase patrol of the approaches. That's about it.

Watch for increase of pressure to divide Canada public and policy from US. It will be little things.

But on the other hand it will be interesting to watch what the Canadian public does when CCP pulls the plug and your cell phone doesn't work etc. Or on the other hand leave it working and just watch Tik Tok lol
Pity the Canadian government of any political stripe that refuses to assist Australia or NZ if they requested assistance. There are limited capabilities in the Pacific which are visibly in use such as the Auroras and the frigates still sail with US battlegroups.
Some creative thinking may be involved in how to take what resources Canada has and how to apply it to the situation, ie: hitching a ride on US navy LPDs and LHDs comes to mind or CF188s basing in the south Pacific etc., but there is no doubt it will be done.

Back