• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Training Ukrainian pilots in Canada?

Reaction score
Is this possible and if yes how many could Canada accommodate at a time? I take it for granted they would be pre-qualified to a certain extent.

Is this possible and if yes how many could Canada accommodate at a time? I take it for granted they would be pre-qualified to a certain extent.
IMHO Unless they are receiving CF-18s in the near future, by the time we were able to rearrange facilities, equipment, maintenance, clearances, and personnel; it might be too little too late.

I don't foresee a BCATP style establishment popping up in Canada in the 21st century unless a lot of people got really cool with a lot of things being done expensively, very quickly.

They would have to pre qualify/train on each different platform but would the "systems" interoperability be something they can carry from say the F18 to the F16 or Rafale or Griffen?
There's numerous reports that they would like to start training now even if new platforms (new to them) are off in the future which prompted me to ask this question.
Ukrainians seem pretty adept at learning to use any NATO equipment they've been given so far..

They would have to pre qualify/train on each different platform but would the "systems" interoperability be something they can carry from say the F18 to the F16 or Rafale or Griffen?
Not a pilot, aircrew, maint, or air Ops...so I won't stray too far out of my lane here. As a Tech though... interoperability is not interchangeability. Just because the interface in one system is the same/similar from one platform to another; doesn't mean it works the exact same way on the backend with all platforms.

There's numerous reports that they would like to start training now even if new platforms (new to them) are off in the future which prompted me to ask this question.
Ukrainians seem pretty adept at learning to use any NATO equipment they've been given so far..
As I said above, you can do anything under the sun when money and time are no object. In this case, they are.

We have no idea what platforms they could receive and it would be extremely costly to facilitate this intensity/diversity of training. Unless NATO or the U.S. dropped a mint to "make it happen, Canada" I see zero ability for Canada to do this.

Last edited:
Not a pilot, aircrew, maint, or air Ops...so I won't stray too far out of my lane here. As a Tech though... interoperability is not interchangeability. Just because the interface in one system is the same/similar from one platform to another; doesn't mean it works the exact same way on the backend with all platforms.

As I said above, you can do anything under the sun when money and time are no object. In this case, they are.

We have no idea what platforms they could receive and it would be extremely costly to facilitate this intensity/diversity of training. Unless NATO or the U.S. dropped a mint to "make it happen, Canada" I see zero ability for Canada to do this.
More like zero capability. Our training system has been downgraded to a very limited number per year. We do have the airspace however should we make this part of our rebuild aid for Ukraine. Goose for instance but it would take a lot of time and a lot of money. Ukraine however needs aircraft not aircrew from what I have read. Until they decide on a platform or receive a new platform it is all hypothetical.

Back