• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Allowances - Post Living Differential (PLD) [MERGED]

It's insane how your salary stays the same, not factoring taxes, but the COL can drop or increase dramatically depending where you go. Nevermind likely losing the dual income of your spouse who also has to find work just because the military "needs to post you". Release memo it is.

In conjunction with PLD, I wish there was consideration to a baseline tax rate that all members posted would pay regardless of primo once of duty/residence to equal out some of the disparity.

In conjunction with PLD, I wish there was consideration to a baseline tax rate that all members posted would pay regardless of primo once of duty/residence to equal out some of the disparity.
Should be taxed at the rate of the Province of your enrolment. If someone takes an IPR posting, their tax rate changes to that Province if different.

The problem is getting the Provinces to sign on because there's massive implications to healthcare funding.

Should be taxed at the rate of the Province of your enrolment. If someone takes an IPR posting, their tax rate changes to that Province if different.

The problem is getting the Provinces to sign on because there's massive implications to healthcare funding.

Acknowledging your point about funding, OUTCAN folks already have that precedent - they fall under Deemed Residents and pay a specific rate (can't recall which prov it's based off now).

I'm just spitballing but maybe that can be expanded to include all CAF members and dependents.

Acknowledging your point about funding, OUTCAN folks already have that precedent - they fall under Deemed Residents and pay a specific rate (can't recall which prov it's based off now).

I'm just spitballing but maybe that can be expanded to include all CAF members and dependents.
Didn't know that was a thing but definitely something we should use as a nexus to help our members.

This would just disadvantage some people but in a different way; person enrolled in NS, posted to BC has higher COL and higher provincial taxes. Person enrolled in BC, posted to NS....lower COL (housing comes to mind immediately) and lower taxes as well.

This is why I suggest a baseline federal tax rate for people who are employed in the Fed govt/CAF who are subj to mandatory moves. It would even the playing field; maybe not perfectly, but better than the current status IMO.

This would just disadvantage some people but in a different way; person enrolled in NS, posted to BC has higher COL and higher provincial taxes. Person enrolled in BC, posted to NS....lower COL (housing comes to mind immediately) and lower taxes as well.

This is why I suggest a baseline federal tax rate for people who are employed in the Fed govt/CAF who are subj to mandatory moves. It would even the playing field; maybe not perfectly, but better than the current status IMO.
There is already a taxation scheme for folks posted OUTCAN without ties to their last province of residence. I don’t think it would be too too hard to implement, but I am not sure there are any willingness to do this. I don’t understand why I have to pay for healthcare when I don’t have access to said healthcare system.

There is already a taxation scheme for folks posted OUTCAN without ties to their last province of residence. I don’t think it would be too too hard to implement, but I am not sure there are any willingness to do this. I don’t understand why I have to pay for healthcare when I don’t have access to said healthcare system.
I don't begrudge paying for health care, having had three of my kids go to CHEO. EI, on the other hand, burns me.

I don't begrudge paying for health care, having had three of my kids go to CHEO. EI, on the other hand, burns me.
Sure but there could at least be a deduction given the members don’t even have access…

The job of being the cat-herder getting all the various agencies to agree on one policy is something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

Neither would I, but I don't see the CAF (small group in the employ of the Fed Govt) getting a gucci taxes setup while other fed employees aren't included. OTOH, I'd be worried about what the big unions might trade away to get this type of deal thru.

I'd completely expect there would be some significant trade-off with the TB for this to ever be close to possible.

Didn’t EI pay maternal/parental leave benefits for those three kids?
Some of it. The Forces topped up the difference to I believe 90 or 95 percent, and my wife had to pay back substantially on her pension. I will not ever be able to draw EI, as it would be offset by my pension benefits. Having paid in to it for more than 40 years, it would be nice to see some payback.

The latest I heard was that they are in negotiations with TB, but nothing more can be said because in the past leaks from the negotiations have scuttled the whole thing.

As for remote work, it's an imperfect solution they can implement now to stem the bleeding. For a lot of office jobs it makes sense to have people work remote when necessary, the only down side being it's one less person on site for all the other duties/jobs in the office.

The latest I heard was that they are in negotiations with TB, but nothing more can be said because in the past leaks from the negotiations have scuttled the whole thing.

As for remote work, it's an imperfect solution they can implement now to stem the bleeding. For a lot of office jobs it makes sense to have people work remote when necessary, the only down side being it's one less person on site for all the other duties/jobs in the office.
Perhaps it’s time to revisit those other duties/jobs in the office?

Perhaps it’s time to revisit those other duties/jobs in the office?
200.gif

Back