• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Defending Canadian Arctic Sovereignty

Note invitation for Russian observers at end of quote. Wonder how large CAF participation will be? Frigate? CP-140? Army unit? The real Russian defence/naval worry in the Arctic seems to be the Euro area, including for the USN. North American Arctic not a problem in itself, rather as a route for cruise missiles to attack more southerly targets:
I'd be surprised if a CP-140 wasn't on that exercise.

Note invitation for Russian observers at end of quote. Wonder how large CAF participation will be? Frigate? CP-140? Army unit? The real Russian defence/naval worry in the Arctic seems to be the Euro area, including for the USN. North American Arctic not a problem in itself, rather as a route for cruise missiles to attack more southerly targets:

I've spent a couple of years of my life messing around in that part of the world - in winter time. It's beautiful!

Just in case you're wondering why the Ofoten area, centred on Narvik, here's one good reason:

The European Commission suggest prolonging one of Europe’s most important transport corridors to include Narvik in Northern Norway.

- This is excellent news, says Torjus Kleiven Kandal at the North Norway European Office. The Ofoten Railway and Narvik are already on the EU’s list of ‘core networks’, however, elevating its status to ‘core corridor’ would carry significant impact. The corridors are the highest prioritized transport areas and that is where the majority of money is spent.

Narvik is listed as the end station on a transport corridor starting on Malta, in the Mediterranean. Kandal explains that the Ofoten Railway carries major strategic significance for the EU:

- 90 % of the iron ore that is extracted in the EU comes from Kiruna (Sweden) and is shipped out via Narvik, so this is obviously important for German industry and the entire EU. In addition, the majority of goods supplies to Northern Norway arrive via rail. High regularity on this route is particularly important for business north of Narvik in Norway. Furthermore, there is a great potential for transporting more of fish from Northern Norway to the markets via rail. Transport bottlenecks need to be removed in order to supply fish from Northern Norway to Europe, and other goods to the Arctic, Kandal says.

1642107226864.png

Narvik is listed as the end station on a transport corridor starting on Malta, in the Mediterranean. Kandal explains that the Ofoten Railway carries major strategic significance for the EU:
There is a great episode, I think on Mighty Trains but not sure, that follows the 26 hour rail trip from Narvik into Sweden, down through Sweden and then back into Norway to Oslo. The focus of the trip was the highly lucrative fishing industry from around Narvik and the need to run it to Oslo for transhipment to the European market in a highly efficient manner.

The line runs through hundreds of tunnels and up some of the steepest grades in Europe and in this episode ran during the winter so the whole snow clearing and line maintenance was featured as was the functioning of the refrigeration systems needed. To say that it is very easy to interdict is a major understatement.

🍻

There is a great episode, I think on Mighty Trains but not sure, that follows the 26 hour rail trip from Narvik into Sweden, down through Sweden and then back into Norway to Oslo. The focus of the trip was the highly lucrative fishing industry from around Narvik and the need to run it to Oslo for transhipment to the European market in a highly efficient manner.

The line runs through hundreds of tunnels and up some of the steepest grades in Europe and in this episode ran during the winter so the whole snow clearing and line maintenance was featured as was the functioning of the refrigeration systems needed. To say that it is very easy to interdict is a major understatement.

🍻

Are we still leaving bottles of rye on Hans Island, and the Danish leaving schnapps?

Honestly, I hope so; that's got to be the most peaceful "war" happening in the world right now.

Personally, I agree to the suggestion of some to split Hans Island in half, west half to Nunavut, east half to Greenland. There, problem solved!

Honestly, I hope so; that's got to be the most peaceful "war" happening in the world right now.

Personally, I agree to the suggestion of some to split Hans Island in half, west half to Nunavut, east half to Greenland. There, problem solved!
The Whisky War is more fun! :)

Now if Trump had got a deal from the Danes we would be getting bourbon now.

We need a wall on the island, no more Dane Geld!!!

Arctic messaging continues.

NORAD, F35s and GBAD? - GBAD also a concern for Latvia who is asking for Canada to reinforce the Danish MND North.

Larry Audlaluk is an elder and historian who lives in Canada's northernmost community, Grise Fiord, Nunavut. He was moved there forcibly in 1953 at age two from northern Quebec, when the federal government decided to plant a group of Inuit in the High Arctic as a way to exert sovereignty.

Audlaluk still lives there with his family and says watching Russia — an Arctic neighbour with ambition — invade Ukraine has been "unnerving."

"We're not too far from the North Pole," he told CBC Nunavut's Qulliq morning radio show. "Within Canada, I felt rather close to the other side."

The community of about 130 people lies just 1,500 kilometres from the North Pole, and roughly 3,400 kilometres from Ottawa.

"I felt I'm too close for comfort really."

Back