• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Rick's Napkin Forces Challenge

I'm not going to go into the whole use of force issue being raised here. Let's just leave it at the fact that use of force in domestic law enforcement operations is a different kettle of fish from military use of force and ROEs in the case of hostile foreign actions taking place within Canada and the military response against them. Its more than a subtle difference and quite complex and yet another reason why one shouldn't mix the roles of civil law enforcement agencies with those of a military force.

Honestly I see some fantastic ideas on a lot of these responses - so much so I am almost wanting to play with some hybrid combinations.
A lot of things I hadn't focused on (and I cheated the system with contractors admittedly) that could be reworked - and several different paths forward could be used from various participants.

I've had the same thoughts. For me the biggest two areas that I'd like to see altered in the scenario are the moving all of the reserves to some civil defence force and not making them available for military service, the rather generous ability to acquire pretty much any equipment you want and not being involved in international operations. Essentially I'd like to deal with a major reduction in the annual costs of DND by the reduction of full-time pay packets.

🍻

I'm not going to go into the whole use of force issue being raised here. Let's just leave it at the fact that use of force in domestic law enforcement operations is a different kettle of fish from military use of force and ROEs in the case of hostile foreign actions taking place within Canada and the military response against them. Its more than a subtle difference and quite complex and yet another reason why one shouldn't mix the roles of civil law enforcement agencies with those of a military force.

I'm not sure that we can divide things that cleanly when our enemies are choosing to fight us by all means available. We can be met with military force employed by criminal gangs mixing Canadians, foreign civilians and foreign military in and out of uniform. What laws do we follow then?

As I said before, I believe our future looks more like the 1885 Rebellion. All over the world. The last thing I expect these days is a stand up fight on even terms.

Edit: Actually D&B may be our resident authority on hazy rules of engagement in a Civil-Military context. 50 years later and the courts are still busy, as are parliaments.

Edit: Actually D&B may be our resident authority on hazy rules of engagement in a Civil-Military context. 50 years later and the courts are still busy, as are parliaments.

ROE are only 'hazy' for the bad guys ;)

I'm not sure that we can divide things that cleanly when our enemies are choosing to fight us by all means available. We can be met with military force employed by criminal gangs mixing Canadians, foreign civilians and foreign military in and out of uniform. What laws do we follow then?
Shoot, Shovel, ShutUp...

As I said before, I believe our future looks more like the 1885 Rebellion. All over the world. The last thing I expect these days is a stand up fight on even terms.
I would agree to a point, I think conflicts will start that way - the question will be at what point do they end.
I believe we need to prepare for a full peer on peer conflict, mainly to dissuade our foes/competitors from the idea they can continue to escalate.
The 90's where some of the worst times for CF ROE, lots of TERRIBLE JAG Advice that was contrary to what the CCC allowed for self defense (more restrictive) and a lot of misunderstand of what self defense is in various CoC.
The creation of JTF-2 actually significantly helped the entire CF figure out ROE IMHO - as the need for understanding the legalities/consequences/responsibilities of the application of lethal force inside Canada by a CF entity had to be understood - and that understanding eventually spread outside DHTC.

I've had the same thoughts. For me the biggest two areas that I'd like to see altered in the scenario are the moving all of the reserves to some civil defence force and not making them available for military service, the rather generous ability to acquire pretty much any equipment you want and not being involved in international operations. Essentially I'd like to deal with a major reduction in the annual costs of DND by the reduction of full-time pay packets.

🍻

With a Regular Force of 30k - and 30k Reservists I started to redo my @ArmyRick Napkin Force.
My only major command change I made was the additional of an Expeditionary Force Command - and I put a 30/70 Armoured Bde under it, with the idea my other Commands would FG towards that as needed.
My land Forces would be 30/70 Reg/Res Ratios - with the others being 70/30 or higher rates of Regulars.

Mainly to try to see what could be possible with a reduced force structure.

The creation of JTF-2 actually significantly helped the entire CF figure out ROE IMHO - as the need for understanding the legalities/consequences/responsibilities of the application of lethal force inside Canada by a CF entity had to be understood - and that understanding eventually spread outside DHTC.
JTF-2 was born from and trained by the RCMP SERT, police officers who already had a pretty good handle on DOMOPS ROE. The CF had a good understanding of OUTCAN ROE as we'd been playing that game since the 1970's in Cyprus. The biggest challenge was making the bridge between the worlds and understanding that just because the ROE say you can shoot someone doesn't mean you should.

With the wholesale divestment of the Reserves and many other capabilities to the civilian sector and the ongoing militarization of civilian law enforcement in this scenario, I'm surprised that the Woke Party didn't table /pass some type of Posse Comitatus Act.

JTF-2 was born from and trained by the RCMP SERT, police officers who already had a pretty good handle on DOMOPS ROE.
Not exactly 100% - there where a bunch of folks who went to England to learn the trade from the Horses Mouth on top of that.
Additionally SERT had some issues with some aspects of ROE that come with NLI HR missions.

Hostage Rescue is an area where a lot of LE Team have issues, especially if there are multiple hostage takers, because when you do make an entry - the goal isn't minimal use of force - the goal is to preserve the hostage lives - and neutralizing the threat of the hostage takers.
There is zero attempt to resolve an encounter with less than lethal force once the entry goes dynamic.

That said the RCMP, OPP, and some Crown Prosecutors where superbly educational on how to articulate the rational for lethal force inside Canada. I learned more from an OPP OIS Investigator and Crown in two days on the articulation of lethal force justification than any other period in my life - which includes dedicated courses on that, LE certification, and LE classes across this continent.

The CF had a good understanding of OUTCAN ROE as we'd been playing that game since the 1970's in Cyprus. The biggest challenge was making the bridge between the worlds and understanding that just because the ROE say you can shoot someone doesn't mean you should.
I will disagree there entirely - Cyprus gave the CF the belief they knew what their where doing with ROE - how screwed up that was, was only really identified in FYR deployments - and Somalia. I still believe to this day, that there are many members of the CAF who doesn't truly understand what self defense is, and what their legal rights are under that from an ROE standpoint.

With the wholesale divestment of the Reserves and many other capabilities to the civilian sector and the ongoing militarization of civilian law enforcement in this scenario, I'm surprised that the Woke Party didn't table /pass some type of Posse Comitatus Act.
Suspension of Disbelief - you need to accept the DS conditions ;)

JTF-2 was born from and trained by the RCMP SERT, police officers who already had a pretty good handle on DOMOPS ROE. The CF had a good understanding of OUTCAN ROE as we'd been playing that game since the 1970's in Cyprus. The biggest challenge was making the bridge between the worlds and understanding that just because the ROE say you can shoot someone doesn't mean you should.
Shortly after being poured out of the School of Artillery as a freshly minted gun position officer, my regiment was sent off to the Octoberfest in Montreal. I recall standing in a hangar at St Hubert with around another 500 soldiers listening to a JAG officer at the front of the assemblage drone on for about 20 minutes with something most of us couldn't hear. It was a "what the f--- was that all about moment" for most of us. It seemed we'd just been briefed on the ROE. Our next stop was to draw live ammunition before hitting the streets. No soldiers cards, no meetings in small groups to discuss, no training - just 20 minutes of unintelligible droning on.

The 90's where some of the worst times for CF ROE, lots of TERRIBLE JAG Advice that was contrary to what the CCC allowed for self defense (more restrictive) and a lot of misunderstand of what self defense is in various CoC.
Believe it or not by the 1990's the whole ROE thing had improved a lot. At the end of the day, ROE are not a JAG thing; its a chain of command thing. After the - "shoot all the Commies you want" - 4 CMBG in Europe thing and entering into Yugoslavia, people started taking an interest. It was a bit of a confusing time as we had to deal with UN processes as much as Canadian ones and there was a long time debate within the various countries about the legality of using deadly force to protect property.

It's important to remember at all times that ROE in every case below full out war, are as much a small "p" political and policy thing as a military thing. Very few soldiers on the ground are happy with ROE that have motives beyond the immediate situation he is facing. The soldier's "golden ticket" in every ROE is the self defence rule. Beyond that ROEs are carefully crafted by a committee to limit all out mayhem with the aim of not hamstringing the commander on the ground from accomplishing his mission ... and you know what I think about anything crafted by a committee in Ottawa. I also agree that all too often our CoC has trouble interpreting ROEs and prefers to err on the side of caution.

Sometimes what the grunt on the ground considers terrible legal advice is in fact an accurate explanation of the probable or possible legal consequences resulting from a particular action. Our leadership is not known for taking bold positions when the outcomes are questionable.

🍻

NAVCanada/NORAD/Noble Eagle

As part of NAV CANADA’s ongoing readiness training, the company organised the drill with NORAD. During the exercise, NAV CANADA cleared the airspace over parts of Toronto and the Greater Toronto Area and coordinated with the Greater Toronto Airports AuthorityOpen a new window and military command and control units from the Royal Canadian Air ForceOpen a new window and United States Air ForceOpen a new window.

Erik Doucet, Manager of Military Coordination and Special Events at NAV CANADA, says these types of international training exercises are necessary to ensure seamlessly coordinated responses in the event of real aerospace threats.

“Employees at NAV CANADA are a key component of all NORAD missions in Canada,” says Doucet. “As we are often the first to identify irregular aircraft movements, NAV CANADA plays an important role in these types of training missions.”

The exercise, known as AMALGAM HAWK 20-01, was part of Operation NOBLE EAGLEOpen a new window. Developed by NORAD after the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001, NOBLE EAGLE is an extensive air defence effort to protect against similar types of attacks within North American airspace.

From the briefing book prepared for the incoming MND in 2020.

Operations requiring decisions​

During your first 180 days in office, you will be asked to renew several key operations. You have the authority to extend some of these, but others will require Cabinet approval or concurrence from other Ministers.

• You may be required to make decision on ongoing operations such as Operation NOBLE EAGLE, which seeks to address asymmetric aerial threats within Canadian and US airspace. You are identified as the designated Engagement Authority/decision-maker if the Prime Minister is unavailable. Given the reactive nature of this operation, it is unlikely but possible that it could be triggered at any time.

It would seem to me as if there is already an instituted, and practiced, Command and Control system in place amalgamating the civilian, non-governmental crown corporation NAVCan, the Greater Toronto Airports Authority, NORAD, the RCAF and the USAF. I wonder how difficult it would be to add a GBAD dimension to the in-place system?

And as Haggis and Kevin have pointed out JTF-2 was born on the civil-military fault-line. No doubt the entirety of CANSOFCOM is well conditioned to working on this grey area both abroad and at home.

Edit

Greater Toronto Airport Authority

NAS Airports

Starting in 1992, the Government of Canada transferred the operations of Canada’s National Airports Systems Airports (those with more than 200,000 passengers annually and/or serving a national, provincial or territorial capital) to private nonshare capital corporations.

Today these locally-operated airport authorities are a Canadian success story, serving passengers in every part of the country and, since 1992, reinvesting over $25 billion into capital improvement programs.

And I would note that all of the CF's air traffic controllers are trained at the NAVCAN training facility in Cornwall under the auspices of the collocated Canadian Forces School of Aerospace Control Operations.

Nav Canada (styled as NAV CANADA) is a privately run, not-for-profit corporation that owns and operates Canada's civil air navigation system (ANS). It was established in accordance with the Civil Air Navigation Services Commercialization Act (ANS Act).

Just to put on record here, the operations and exercises in which the CAF is currently engaged.

Worthwhile considering how many of these will be reallocated or dissolved given the Woke Party constraints

Canada and North America​

NameDescription
Fisheries PatrolsCanadian Armed Forces (CAF) support to help Fisheries and Oceans Canada monitor fishing vessels and enforce fishing regulations in the Atlantic Ocean. The CAF conducts ship and aircraft patrols with DFO officials on board. These are known as FISHPATS.
Operation BOXTOPCAF mission to bring supplies to Canadian Forces Station Alert.
Operation DRIFTNETCAF mission to stop drift netting and other forms of illegal fishing.
Operation LASERCAF response to a worldwide pandemic situation.
Operation LENTUSCAF response to forest fires, floods and natural disasters in Canada.
Operation LIMPIDCAF mission to detect threats to Canada’s security as early as possible. The CAF keeps a routine watch over Canada’s air, maritime, land, space, and cyber domains. It also maintains a physical presence in some areas.
Operation NANOOKCAF contribution to whole-of-government sovereignty patrols and security exercises. These are usually held in the high and eastern Arctic.
Operation NEVUSCAF annual maintenance of the High Arctic Data Communications System. It takes place on Ellesmere Island.
Operation PALACICAF support to the Parks Canada program to prevent avalanches from blocking land routes in Rogers Pass.
Operation SABOTCAF support to the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. The mission is to help stop the illegal growing of marijuana in Canada.
Operation VECTOROperation VECTOR is the Canadian Armed Forces’ (CAF) support to the Federal, Provincial, and Territorial governments for the distribution of COVID-19 vaccines.
Search and RescueThe CAF has the main responsibility in Canada for providing search and rescue (SAR) from the air. It also coordinates the national response for air and maritime SAR.
National Sentry ProgramThe National Sentry Program reinforces Canada’s commitment to remember and honour those Canadians who served in the major wars of the twentieth century, including both World Wars, as well as those who have contributed to Canada’s long-standing tradition of military excellence through to the present day.

Central and South America​

NameDescription
Operation CARIBBECAF support to U.S.-led Enhanced Counter-narcotics operations. CAF sends ships and aircraft to help stop trafficking by organized crime. The operation takes place in the Caribbean basin and the eastern Pacific Ocean.

Europe​

NameDescription
Operation DISTINCTIONOperation DISTINCTION supports the Government of Canada’s Military History Commemoration Program to complement and enhance Veterans Affairs Canada (VAC) selected ceremonies and commemorative events.
Operation IGNITIONCAF periodic role in a NATO security mission for Iceland. Mission involves airborne surveillance and interception.
Operation ILLUMINATIONCAF support to Iceland while their country’s air surveillance radars underwent scheduled maintenance and upgrades.
Operation KOBOLDCAF contribution to the NATO Kosovo Force (KFOR).
Operation OPEN SPIRITCAF role to help clear explosive remnants of war in the Baltic Sea. A number of other countries take part. The annual mission is hosted by the three Baltic nations.
Operation REASSURANCECAF support to NATO’s defence and deterrence measures in Central and Eastern Europe.
Operation SNOWGOOSECAF role in the United Nations Force in Cyprus (UNFICYP).
Operation UNIFIERCAF military training and capacity-building operation in Ukraine.

Africa​

NameDescription
Operation EDIFICE-TunisiaOnce a year, the CAF conducts combined training with the Tunisian Navy.
Operation CROCODILECAF role in supporting the United Nations mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
Operation FREQUENCECAF strategic airlift support to France between France and the Sahel region of Africa.
Operation NABERIUSCAF mission in Niger to train the Forces armées nigériennes
Operation PRESENCEThe CAF’s contribution to the Government of Canada’s peace operations strategy.
Operation PROJECTIONThe CAF operates in maritime enviroments around the world to improve peace and stability.
Operation SOPRANOCAF role in the United Nations Mission in the Republic of South Sudan (UNMISS).

Middle East​

NameDescription
Operation ARTEMISCAF maritime security and counter-terrorism operations in the Arabian Sea.
Operation CALUMETCAF role in the Multinational Force and Observers (MFO) in the Sinai Peninsula of Egypt.
Operation FOUNDATIONCAF role in United States Central Command Headquarters, United States Air Forces Central Headquarters, and Combined Maritime Forces Headquarters.
Operation IMPACTCAF role in the international coalition to assist local security forces who are fighting against Daesh in the Republic of Iraq and in Syria.
Operation JADECAF role in the United Nations Truce Supervision Organization (UNTSO).
Operation PROTEUSCAF role in the Office of the U.S. Security Coordinator to build security capacity in the Palestinian Authority.

Indo-Pacific​

NameDescription
Operation AEGISOperation AEGIS is the Canadian Armed Forces’ (CAF) contribution to the Government of Canada’s effort to evacuate Afghans with significant and/or enduring relationship with the Government of Canada, along with their accompanying family members.
Operation NEONOperation NEON is Canada’s contribution to a coordinated multinational effort to support the implementation of United Nations Security Council sanctions imposed against North Korea.
Operation PROJECTIONThe CAF operates in maritime environments around the world to improve peace and stability.
Operation RENDER SAFECAF role to help Australia clear explosive remnants of war in the Solomon Islands.
Operation DRIFTNETCAF support to Fisheries and Oceans Canada. The mission was to help enforce the global moratorium on high-seas driftnet fishing.

Around the world​

NameDescription
Operation GLOBECAF members are sometimes asked to help other Government of Canada departments with various tasks. When these tasks involve working outside of Canada, CAF members deploy under Operation GLOBE.
Operation PROJECTIONThe CAF operates in maritime environments around the world to improve peace and stability.
Operation RENAISSANCEThe Canadian Armed Forces responds to international emergencies.
Operation VECTOROperation VECTOR is the Canadian Armed Forces’ (CAF) support to the Federal, Provincial, and Territorial governments for the distribution of COVID-19 vaccines.

Joint Military Exercises​

0817-artic-edge.jpg

Exercise ARCTIC EDGE​

Arctic Region
Alaska, USA.
Next Iteration: February/March 2022.
Exercise ARCTIC EDGE is the premier US Arctic training event. It is sponsored by North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD) and United States Northern Command (N&NC). Ex AE is planned and delivered by United States Alaska Command (ALCOM).
Canadian Participation:
The CAF will focus on improving the Canadian-United States (CANUS) military alliance and its ability to operate as an effective team in an austere Arctic environment.
CANUS and our allied partners will showcase Canada’s commitment to safeguarding security in the Arctic region. Ex AE22 supports Arctic combat-related research and development, and practices Northern defence strategies.
For more information: Arctic Edge 2020. This website features stories and imagery on the Defense Visual Information Distribution Service.
0817-cwix.png

Exercise COALITION WARRIOR (CWIX)​

North American Region
Norfolk, Virginia.
European Region
Poland.
Current Iteration: Ongoing throughout 2021.
The Coalition Warrior Interoperability eXploration, eXperimentation, eXamination, eXercise (CWIX) is an annual NATO program testing the ability of partners' online networks, computer systems and software to “talk to each other”, which allows the reliable exchange and use of shared information. CWIX is led by Headquarters Supreme Allied Commander Transformation (HQ SACT) on behalf of the North Atlantic Council (NAC) and the NATO Military Committee (MC).
Canadian Participation:
Canada, along with multiple other NATO nations, test current, near-term, experimental, and future networking capabilities that allow military commanders to communicate globally and make timely decisions. CWIX supports military readiness by emphasizing preparation for NATO missions.
For more information: CWIX in 2021. This website is maintained by Allied Command Transformation (ACT), at NATO's Warfare Development Command.
0817-rimpac.jpg

Exercise RIM OF THE PACIFIC (RIMPAC)​

Pacific Region
Hawaiian Islands & Southern California, USA.
Next Iteration: Summer 2022.
Ex RIMPAC is the world’s largest international maritime exercise comprised of nations with an interest in the Pacific Rim region. This exercise takes place every other year and is conducted by Commander U.S. Third Fleet (C3F). RIMPAC provides a training opportunity for multiple nations, by building a coalition of capable, adaptive partners. RIMPAC improves partner nation readiness to respond to a wide-range of potential operations.
Canadian Participation:
Participation focuses on the ongoing building of CAF military expertise in the Indo-Pacific region, while fostering multinational relationships and trust, thus increasing the CAF’s proficiency to work with our partners whenever and however needed.
For more information visit the U.S. Pacific Fleet’s website to learn about RIMPAC’s most recent iteration in 2020. RIMPAC.
0817-steadfast-defender.jpg

Exercise STEADFAST DEFENDER​

European Region
Most Recent Iteration: May 2021.
Exercise STEADFAST DEFENDER 21 was the first in a new series of long-planned NATO exercises designed to ensure NATO forces are trained, aligned to operate collectively, and ready to respond to threats. This exercise demonstrates how North America and Europe work together, keeping our nations safe in a challenging security environment.
Canadian Participation:
CAF participation in Ex STEADFAST DEFENDER 21 showed Canada’s commitment to NATO, its willingness to protect the European region and deter aggressors. CAF operational objectives included exercising command structures and improving the ability to operate effectively together to achieve assigned tasks within a NATO coalition maritime security context.
A frigate, Her Majesty’s Canadian Ship (HMCS) HALIFAX, was recently deployed on Ex STEADFAST DEFENDER.
For more information: Exercise Steadfast Defender [PDF, 309KB] is found at NATO’s Exercises and Training website to find out about the last iteration in 2021.
0817-talisman-sabre.png

Exercise TALISMAN SABRE (Ex TS)​

Indo-Pacific Region
Australia.
Latest Iteration: July 18 to 31, 2021.
Exercise TALISMAN SABRE (Ex TS) takes place every other year, and is a collaborative Australian/United States exercise taking place in North East Australia.
The Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) will train with Australia, United States, New Zealand, Japan, United Kingdom, and the Republic of Korea, contributing to stability and security in the Indo-Pacific region.
Canadian Participation:
The CAF’s participation in Ex TS21 included:
  • Her Majesty’s Canadian Ship (HMCS) CALGARY, a Halifax-class frigate.
  • CAF provided 13 personnel to enhance joint capabilities by working alongside allies within a Combined Joint Task Force Headquarters and Air Operations Centre.
Visit the Australian Defence Force website to learn about Ex TS’s most recent iteration in 2021. Ex TS in 2021
0817-tradewinds.jpg

Exercise TRADEWINDS (Ex TW)​

Caribbean region
Most Recent Iteration: June 2021, in Guyana.
Exercise TRADEWINDS 2021 (Ex TW21) is an annual U.S. Southern Command (USSOUTHCOM) exercise. It focuses on countering threats, building partnerships and improving Humanitarian Assistance and Disaster Relief (HADR) capabilities.
Exercise TRADEWINDS promotes and strengthens regional safety and security in the Caribbean region.
Canadian Participation:
The CAF’s participation in Ex TW21 included:
  • Her Majesty’s Canadian Ship (HMCS) SHAWINIGAN, a Maritime Coastal Defence Vessel (MCDV), joined a multinational group aimed at improving tactics, techniques and procedures for tracking, intercepting, and boarding suspect vessels.
  • Ten CAF members were in Guyana, serving as instructors and mentors for the operational planning and execution of maritime and land security operations, dive operations, public affairs best practices, and the establishment of a Caribbean Task Force headquarters to conduct effective security operations.
For more information: U.S. Southern Command’s Ex TW21 website.

Which ones get handed off to the Civil Defence Force? Dissolved? Retained?

Starting to turn my attention to the RCAF.

Fourteen wings are located across Canada, from Gander, Newfoundland, to Comox, British Columbia. The Wings conduct Air Force operations under the direction of 1 Canadian Air Division/CANR. Ten Wings also include a Canadian Forces Base along with other operational and support units.

1 Canadian Air Division

1 Wing KingstonThe home of the Griffon and Chinook helicopters. It provides airlift support of troops and equipment anywhere in the world. Its seven tactical helicopter and training squadrons are spread out across the country.
2 Wing BagotvilleThe Royal Canadian Air Force’s air expeditionary wing, a formation able to rapidly deploy as a self-contained unit, employing air power and providing associated support wherever needed, across Canada or around the world.
3 Wing BagotvilleLocated in Quebec's Saguenay region. It provides general purpose, multi-role, combat capable forces in support of domestic and international roles of Canada's Air Force. It also provides search and rescue missions.
4 Wing Cold LakeThe busiest fighter base in Canada. It provides general purpose, multi-role, combat capable forces in support of domestic and international roles of Canada's Air Force. Home of fighter pilot training for the Canadian Forces, 4 Wing attracts Top Gun crews from all over the world to our annual air combat exercise, Maple Flag.
5 Wing Goose BayThe mission of 5 Wing Goose Bay is to conduct NORAD and other Canadian Armed Forces operations. As the Eastern gateway to the Canadian Arctic, its strategic location enables 5 Wing to play a key role in protecting the sovereignty of Canada and in the air defence of North America. Their location and the challenging airspace and terrain on and above Labrador and Quebec also allows 5 Wing Goose Bay to offer an outstanding environment for the conduct of joint and combined training for the Canadian Armed Forces, NATO partners and our allies.
8 Wing TrentonThe hub of Canada's air mobility forces - from delivering supplies to the high Arctic (Canadian Forces Station (CFS) Alert) to airlifting troops and equipment worldwide. It is also responsible for search and rescue in central Canada and home to the famous Skyhawks with the Canadian Parachute Centre.
9 Wing GanderHome of the 103 Search and Rescue (SAR) Squadron, providing full-time SAR services to Newfoundland and Labrador. When a call for help comes in, SAR crews at 9 Wing Gander are ready to head out in any direction from their base in Canada's most easterly province, Newfoundland.
12 Wing ShearwaterThe centre of naval aviation in Canada. Home of the CH-148 Cyclone helicopter, 12 Wing supports the Navy with up to nine helicopter air detachments for international and domestic operations.
14 Wing GreenwoodNestled in the heart of Nova Scotia's beautiful Annapolis Valley. Aurora crews conduct sovereignty and surveillance missions over the Atlantic Ocean routinely, while search and rescue capabilities are maintained 365 days of the year.
15 Wing Moose JawThe site of the new NATO Flying Training Program in Canada (NFTC). This southern Saskatchewan town is also home to the Snowbirds, Canada's world famous aerobatic team.
16 Wing BordenThe "Birthplace of the RCAF." The largest training Wing in the Canadian Forces, 16 Wing's schools offer air force technical training and professional development.
17 Wing WinnipegComprises three squadrons and six schools. It also provides support to the Central Flying School. All combined, 17 Wing turns out what are considered some of the best air navigators and multi-skilled personnel in the world. For Canadian air force personnel, all roads will lead to 17 Wing Winnipeg.
19 Wing ComoxBased on Vancouver Island. Its Aurora crews keep watch over the Pacific Ocean while its search and rescue teams regularly locate downed Aircraft in some of Canada's roughest terrain while another squadron helps train fighter pilots in tactical procedures.
22 Wing North BayAlso known as the Canadian Air Defence Sector (CADS), is responsible for providing surveillance, identification, control and warning for the aerospace defence of Canada and North America at the Sector Air Operations Centre.

2 Canadian Air Division

The Commander of 2 CAD is accountable to the Commander of the RCAF and provides:

• Oversight of RCAF individual education and training, including ab-initio training for most RCAF occupations,
  • Oversight of core RCAF developmental courses, and
  • Support to the overall RCAF training management.

The formations under the Commander of 2 CAD include 15 Wing Moose Jaw, 16 Wing Borden and 17 Wing Winnipeg. In addition, the Canadian Forces Aircrew Selection Centre located in Trenton, ON also reports directly to the Commander of 2 CAD.

1 Canadian Air Div Wings

3 Wing (NORAD - CF-188 and CH-146)

5 Wing (NORAD - CH-146)

14 Wing (Coastal - CP-140, CC-130J, CC-130, CC-295, CH-149)

2 Canadian Air Div Wings

15 Wing (Training - CT-114, CT-155, CT-156, Grob 120A, C-90B, Bell 412 CF, CH-139)

Getting granular

1 Canadian Air Div Wings

3 Wing (NORAD - CF-188 and CH-146)

14 Wing (Coastal - CP-140, CC-130J, CC-130, CC-295, CH-149)

2 Canadian Air Div Wings

15 Wing (Training - CT-114, CT-155, CT-156, Grob 120A, C-90B, Bell 412 CF, CH-139)

5 Wing (NORAD - CH-146)

Dissolved Wings (Non-Expeditionary Force)

Redistribution of Squadrons

1 Canadian Air Div ( 8 Wings, 35 Squadrons) 43 elements to be retained for Ordnance Canada. OTUs to be retained in Ordnance Canada.

Preliminary training to be conducted under the Civil Defence Force auspices.

With experience may apply for Ordnance Canada and the RCAF.

NORAD

Co-Operation with the "Army"

Co-Operation with the RCN

2 Canadian Air Div (3 Wings, 10 Bases, 5 FOLs, 11 Schools, AETE, 12 Transport and Rescue squadrons, 14 Reserve flights and squadrons, 5 Reserve Construction Engineering flights and squadrons)

61 elements to be transferred to the Civil Defence Force
19 Reserve
42 Regular

• 14 Construction Engineering Squadron (at Bridgewater)
  • 91 Construction Engineering Flight (at Gander)
  • 143 Construction Engineering Flight (at Lunenburg)
  • 144 Construction Engineering Flight (at Pictou)
  • 192 Construction Engineering Flight (Abbotsford)

Dissolved Wings (Non-Expeditionary Force)

41 Regular squadrons and wings going to the Civil Defence Force with 2 Cdn Air Div

43 Regular squadrons and wings being retained by Ordnance Canada

The RCAF being defined by its ability to apply force, only the Ordance Canada element will continue as the RCAF.

The Civil Defence Elements are outside the purview of the CDS and this exercise.

The current RCAF has a total payroll of

1518 Civilians
1969 Reserves
12,074 Regulars

The Civilians will transfer to the Civil Defence Force, Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness.

The Reserves will transfer to the Civil Defence Force

50% of the Regulars (41/84) will transfer to the Civil Defence Force

Ordnance Canada will retain 6,074 Regulars for the RCAF.

Public Safety and the Civil Defence Force will be responsible for maintaining and operation all airbases and forward operating locations in conjunction with NAVCAN and NORAD.

AETE to be transferred to the National Research Council.

Believe it or not by the 1990's the whole ROE thing had improved a lot.
That's concerning.
At the end of the day, ROE are not a JAG thing; its a chain of command thing. After the - "shoot all the Commies you want" - 4 CMBG in Europe thing and entering into Yugoslavia, people started taking an interest. It was a bit of a confusing time as we had to deal with UN processes as much as Canadian ones and there was a long time debate within the various countries about the legality of using deadly force to protect property.
The JAG does give legal advice to the CoC though. Some of that advice has been absolutely deplorable.

It's important to remember at all times that ROE in every case below full out war, are as much a small "p" political and policy thing as a military thing. Very few soldiers on the ground are happy with ROE that have motives beyond the immediate situation he is facing. The soldier's "golden ticket" in every ROE is the self defence rule. Beyond that ROEs are carefully crafted by a committee to limit all out mayhem with the aim of not hamstringing the commander on the ground from accomplishing his mission ... and you know what I think about anything crafted by a committee in Ottawa. I also agree that all too often our CoC has trouble interpreting ROEs and prefers to err on the side of caution.
Everyone still has the right to Self Defense - at times, the CoC, the UN etc all where failing miserably in that - and the explanation of what that actually allowed soldiers to do.
Sometimes what the grunt on the ground considers terrible legal advice is in fact an accurate explanation of the probable or possible legal consequences resulting from a particular action. Our leadership is not known for taking bold positions when the outcomes are questionable.

🍻
Consider this scenario: Circa 1994-5
Hostile Individual shoots at you -- turn to run (still with weapon).
I actually had a CF Maj (JAG) tell me it was unlawful to shoot that person, because their back was turned, and we could only engage if he turned around and was shooting at us again.
I had a Capt (PPCLI) actually think the JAG was correct. :rolleyes:
**Neither appreciated my acerbic comments, or questioning the validity of the JAG's LLB...
Additionally neither could explain what was wrong when I told them I could shoot that guy in Canada under Self Defence provisions of the CCC, I'm so going to blast him into next week in XYZ country, other than "the ROE doesn't allow for that".

IMHO the JAG's Office often tends to look for the most restrictive interpretations - as opposed to the lawful options.

While the soldier on the ground just needs to know what his left and right of arc are.
When overly restrictive policies that make no sense are put into place - people step outside those - but when you create a culture of stepping outside - bad things follow.

The JAG's office also gave incorrect advice on the use of OTM ammunition for snipers and sharp shooters in 2004-2006 saying it was prohibited under the LOAC, without seeing that it was already approved in other parts of the CF, and coalition forces.

I have some other interesting tidbits - but I'll save those for over a beer ;)

Back