• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Federal Election 44 - Sep 2021

I love the Canadian voter mentality. Instead of voting for the party they think will be best for the country, they will vote anyone to deny the party they dislike, the win. It's no wonder our system is such an absolute farce. It's not strategic voting, it's pure, ignorant, personal spitefulness and selfishness. And the whole country is affected and weighed down by the stupidity of the exercise.
Maybe if we didn't have first past the post I would care about voting more in line with my actual beliefs.

But we do have first past the post. My LPC candidate was always going to get between 45 and 55 percent of the vote in my riding. So I might as well have some fun with my vote, ya?

What a sad state of affairs.
Yeah, it is sad that the conservatives in this country get a united vote behind one party while the progressive vote is split between anywhere from 2 to 4 different parties.

Which is why I voted PPC and convinced anyone mad about vax stuff to and guns to vote for them as well.

Just doing my small part to prop up that party so they can fulfill their role as spoiler.

Conan Obrien Ugh GIF by Team Coco

Dude, its a discussion forum. If one shares information one should expect discussion and comment.
Of course. And I commented on the discussion Dude.

Maybe if we didn't have first past the post I would care about voting more in line with my actual beliefs.

But we do have first past the post. My LPC candidate was always going to get between 45 and 55 percent of the vote in my riding. So I might as well have some fun with my vote, ya?

I don't know but I think we may share in our contempt for our FPTP system.

Of course. And I commented on the discussion Dude.

GIF by Robert E Blackmon

That's what you were doing... Ok ;)

Would you be more for a proportional voting system or something like a hybrid of FPTP/proportional.

Would you be more for a proportional voting system or something like a hybrid of FPTP/proportional.
Mixed for sure. We already kind of have it when you think about it.

Any CPC candidate in rural Alberta is akin to someone on a party list, same as a LPC candidate in Toronto or Montreal. Safe ridings=Party lists

So make it formalized, have regional representation and ridings for some MPs and party lists based on popular vote for others.

Then I would actually need to vote for who I support and not walk into my ridings elections Canada building knowing who wins the riding before I cast a vote.

The whole underpinning of representative democracy - as opposed to the kind where everyone votes on everything - is that the representative is directly accountable to those represented. So, no party lists.

The whole underpinning of representative democracy - as opposed to the kind where everyone votes on everything - is that the representative is directly accountable to those represented. So, no party lists.
Not sure that is feasible in large democracies. City politics sort of works that way.

Mixed for sure. We already kind of have it when you think about it.

Any CPC candidate in rural Alberta is akin to someone on a party list, same as a LPC candidate in Toronto or Montreal. Safe ridings=Party lists

So make it formalized, have regional representation and ridings for some MPs and party lists based on popular vote for others.

Then I would actually need to vote for who I support and not walk into my ridings elections Canada building knowing who wins the riding before I cast a vote.
So seats that would be dedicated FPTP type seats based regionally and a certain amount based on popular vote. It’s sort of what I would prefer myself.

So seats that would be dedicated FPTP type seats based regionally and a certain amount based on popular vote. It’s sort of what I would prefer myself.
Best of both worlds. Lets people vote their conscience and allows for MP accountability to the regions they are elected.

But so long as 60 percent of ridings in Canada are considered safe ridings, and I live in one, I wont take my vote seriously, because it isn't.

Last edited:
So, much larger ridings, or a whole lot more politicians. Maybe if we got rid of Senate I could get on board.

The one problem I have with PR is the creation of a block of MPs who's only direct constituency is their party (I realize people are rolling in the aisles at the though of riding MPs being accountable to their voters). Where do these MPs come from? Do I vote for them?

If nothing else, FPTP is simple for the average (unengaged?) voter to figure out. You vote: the person with the most votes wins. I remember when PR was proposed in Ontario the explanation and rules seemed akin to having to vote with my left hand during a full moon.

I prefer ranked ballot myself.

Party list has a couple of variations. Try to imagine politicians not selecting the one that allows a party to select people it wants to protect who could not win in a riding (ie. top of the list are "safe seats").

So, much larger ridings, or a whole lot more politicians. Maybe if we got rid of Senate I could get on board.

The one problem I have with PR is the creation of a block of MPs who's only direct constituency is their party (I realize people are rolling in the aisles at the though of riding MPs being accountable to their voters). Where do these MPs come from? Do I vote for them?

If nothing else, FPTP is simple for the average (unengaged?) voter to figure out. You vote: the person with the most votes wins. I remember when PR was proposed in Ontario the explanation and rules seemed akin to having to vote with my left hand during a full moon.

I prefer ranked ballot myself.
There are party lists today. Parties parachute star candidates into "safe" ridings all the time.

There are party lists today. Parties parachute star candidates into "safe" ridings all the time.
For sure, but I get to participate in the final say. If a party wins x% of the popular vote, where to these folks come from. Are they 'elected' or 'appointed'?

For sure, but I get to participate in the final say. If a party wins x% of the popular vote, where to these folks come from. Are they 'elected' or 'appointed'?
"participate"

Bow River
CON: Martin Shields -*35,435
PPC: Jonathan Bridges- 5,097
NDP: Michael MacLean-4,726
LIB: Getu Shawile-3,928
MAV: Orrin Bliss-1,362

Saint Laurent
LIB: Emmanuella Lambropoulos *-22,056
CON: Richard Serour-6,902
NDP: Nathan Devereaux-4,052
BQ: Florence Racicot-2,973
PPC: Gregory Yablunovsky-1,183

Avignon-La Mitis

BQ: Kristina Michaud *-19,776
LIB: Louis-Éric Savoie-7,095
CON: Germain Dumas-2,912
NDP: Christel Marchand-1,521
PPC: Eric Barnabé-969
FPC: Mélanie Gendron-826

Parties parachute star candidates into "safe" ridings all the time.

"star" is kind of an opposite to "could not get elected in a riding". I don't care about leaders and other reasonably electable luminaries being dropped into ridings, where the voters still have a very specific say. I would object to party functionaries being rewarded with top slots on a party list so they can accumulate 6 (or whatever) pensionable years.

Back