• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Federal Election 44 - Sep 2021

Remember, if you donate enough money, you can be an honorary officer; but you still have to earn your way into the Sgt/WO mess...
The Walking Dead Sasha GIF by The Paley Center for Media

Except he's in an NCR unit, while representing an Alberta riding...
Good point. Would the gaining and losing unit COs be willing to entertain an attach posting for the term of the 44th Parliament, say, 12 - 18 months?

I have 4 kids, 3 of whom are teens or pre-teen.They all have their own rooms, barring that we would have war and likely 2 less kids and one in Juvie for murder. My wife and I both work, and bathroom schedules clash.

I grew up with 8 people, 3 rooms,and an outhouse. Ain’t looking back fondly.
Seriously, ask yourself why your family (and you are the norm) requires all those goodies. Our farm had 3 bedrooms, 5 kids plus parents and an outhouse. Every bedroom was equipped with a thundermug which we took turns dumping into the john in the morning. A trip out back was no fun at -30. (CYXE territory). I am definitely not wishing for the good ol' days but the question remains: why do we demand or expect so much?

I've been a fan of that big time in the past, but I'm also thinking that if we think of the biggest rodent fornicator we've ever served with, greasy and dodgy, dishonest etc., are they more likely to vote for the good of the whole more than the most intelligent, civic-minded civilian we know? After all, as of a few months ago, even this guy could vote under that system, right? ;) (OK, maybe not for much longer now, but still ...)
first done in ancient Greece. Great idea

Seriously, ask yourself why your family (and you are the norm) requires all those goodies. Our farm had 3 bedrooms, 5 kids plus parents and an outhouse. Every bedroom was equipped with a thundermug which we took turns dumping into the john in the morning. A trip out back was no fun at -30. (CYXE territory). I am definitely not wishing for the good ol' days but the question remains: why do we demand or expect so much?
Yeah! And every Canadian should be legislated to walk to and from work/school…uphill…both ways…

Seriously, a bed room per person and more than a single shared bathroom is totally unreasonable?

You should go into politics. Canadians would elect you in a heartbeat. 🙄

Uh, was this in 1925?

Hell, it's just the two of us and one of my mandatory requirements is at least 1.5 bathrooms - in the same building as the rest of the rooms.

I guess that the interpretation of "goodies" has changed in the last fifty years. I will never accede to the thought that my kids should not have it better than I did.

Reactions: MJP
Uh, was this in 1925?

Hell, it's just the two of us and one of my mandatory requirements is at least 1.5 bathrooms - in the same building as the rest of the rooms.
Well son, it was the winter of 1967-68 when we moved into our new house on the farm that had running water and indoor plumbing. And I still had to share a bedroom with my older brother. Granted I was only 6 at the time, but yea, sometimes I really wonder why we have these monster homes for a family of 4.

sometimes I really wonder why we have these monster homes for a family of 4.
Oh, I agree that current homes are generally too big. Then again I don't have kids so I don't have that perspective.

Still, no less than 1.5 bathrooms.

Well son, it was the winter of 1967-68 when we moved into our new house on the farm that had running water and indoor plumbing. And I still had to share a bedroom with my older brother. Granted I was only 6 at the time, but yea, sometimes I really wonder why we have these monster homes for a family of 4.
Luxury

Nothing wrong with more of whatever. But building trades don't provide "more" for free.

More floor area is more expensive. Complex layouts are more expensive. Oddball breaks in wall and roof lines are more expensive. Full finishing is more expensive. Decorative add-ons are more expensive. Fashionable appliances are more expensive. Etc.

Much of the cost in the hottest markets is simply high-demand land, but the cost of escalating preferences is a non-trivial factor. And for that, the blame lies with buyers.

Some of the programs will be counter-productive. When someone buys a crappy rental house that has been divvied up into two or more suites and renovates it as a single family dwelling, that results in a net loss of total available accommodations. When someone buys a decent single-family house and upgrades it and raises the price tag by 50 to 100K, that isn't a downward pressure on prices.

Back